Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/14/2012 3:43:20 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

Really enjoy your AAR. Keep it up!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 331
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/14/2012 4:32:19 PM   
Tophat1815

What does the breakthrough in the north look like now? You said 2 pz divs were forced to retreat? Did you widen the penetration so they can't easily be cutoff?

(in reply to Disgruntled Veteran)
Post #: 332
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/14/2012 8:51:51 PM   
ErsteKavallerieDivision

Did you reduce the TOE of artillery and AA units to 50%?

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 333
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/15/2012 1:19:51 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

Really enjoy your AAR. Keep it up!

Thank you, it will keep going untill we reach the end, aka Berlin

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Disgruntled Veteran)
Post #: 334
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/15/2012 1:20:48 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

What does the breakthrough in the north look like now? You said 2 pz divs were forced to retreat? Did you widen the penetration so they can't easily be cutoff?

See below
They were pushed back onto other Pz Divs, so there was no real danger (I try to keep the weakest part of the chain at the end to avoid being curt off).

Terje

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 335
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/15/2012 1:21:27 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: ErsteKavallerieDiv

Did you reduce the TOE of artillery and AA units to 50%?

Yup, think it has to do with the TOE upgrade of my Pz Divs. Would prefer older style Pz Divs and more armaments tbh...

Terje

(in reply to ErsteKavallerieDivision)
Post #: 336
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/15/2012 1:26:18 PM   
terje439

Turn 66

Overall
Once more we eliminated the pocketed USSR units, and some more were trapped, but they will march to safety, so no units will be destroyed next turn. The attacks against LG will now be terminated, I am bogged down. Next turn our panzers will be pulled back, and we will leave the north to the infantry.
Only 60 attacks this turn; 11 helds, 37 retreats, 8 routs and 4 surrenders.

USSR units in pockets at start of turn

USSR units in pockets at end of turn
2, but they will march to safety.

Losses
USSR : 15.000 troops, 2.187 guns, 146 AFVs, 330 AC.
Axis : 57.000 troops, 713 guns, 135 AFVs, 107 AC.

USSR units lost
2 rifle divisions, 1 naval rifle brigade, 4 rifle brigades (45 AP).

Partisans hunted down

German pools
Manpower : 1.683
Vehicles : 220.363
Armaments : 57.101
Hiwi : 14
Panic mode = ON
Turns untill no armaments : 5

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 337
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/15/2012 3:38:31 PM   
Tophat1815

Can we get another whole front update in screenshots please?

Well its middle of September so a redeploy to the south and an attack might be te thing to shoot for,wish this was August but such is life right?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 338
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:16:05 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Can we get another whole front update in screenshots please?

Well its middle of September so a redeploy to the south and an attack might be te thing to shoot for,wish this was August but such is life right?

Ofc, I live to serve
Cannot really attack before the panzers have rested though. Now I am the one wishing for mud...

Terje

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 339
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:24:22 PM   
terje439

Turn 67

Overall
Well, the ammount of attacks we can mount is dropping each turn, and this turn is no different in that regard. That darned Speer better show some results soon so we can get our troops ready to fight again! Although I said I would withdraw the panzers, I have reconsidered. If they disappear now, Brad will reshuffle his troops, and I will face alot thougher resistance all along the front. So better to keep them in place for now untill mud arrives, and then let them vanish. A mere 39 attacks with a result of 7 helds, 25 retreats, 6 routs and 1 shatter is not good enough though, and Führer-morale is plummeting

Losses
USSR : 100.000 troops, 1.421 guns, 186 AFVs, 221 AC.
Axis : 52.000 troops, 548 guns, 94 AFVs, 80 AC.

Total Losses
USSR : 7.838.000 troops, 132.322 guns, 23.181 AFVs, 18.844 AC.
Axis : 2.263.000 troops, 24.623 guns, 5.892 AFVs, 4.469 AC.

USSR units lost
1 rifle division (10 AP).

Partisans hunted down

German pools
Manpower : 867
Vehicles : 223.679
Armaments : 34.064
Hiwi : 15
Panic mode = ON
Turns untill no armaments : 3
What I would like to see in a WiTE2 is the ability to turn off certain production and alocate those resources to other factories. I have trucks up the ying yang but no weapons...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 340
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:25:50 PM   
terje439

Moving south

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 341
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:26:12 PM   
terje439

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 342
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:26:50 PM   
terje439

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 343
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:27:17 PM   
terje439

not much to say

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 344
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:27:35 PM   
terje439

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 345
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:27:59 PM   
terje439

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 346
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:28:29 PM   
terje439

Getting there

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 347
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 1:28:52 PM   
terje439

fini

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 348
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 2:18:35 PM   
Karri

His central front seems quite weak...but he should be able to strenghten it come mud. Dislodging the line before mud could be helpful for winter offensives...but you need tanks for that.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 349
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 3:02:45 PM   
KamilS

I think You have wasted your chance attacking in the north.

Nothing to gain there but opportunity to loose manpower and time in futile attacks on forested and flooded hexes.

He is stronger than You anywhere but in the north, but prefers You to think otherwise and catch You flat-footed without forts and with low body count once he switches to attack.

You have one more chance for meaningful offensive, but only if You play with fire and make Yourself weak everywhere but in area of Your attack.

I am afraid, that if You persist in Your current strategy, game's result will be either major or minor Soviet victory, and I would put my money on major.

< Message edited by Kamil -- 11/16/2012 3:11:23 PM >

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 350
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 3:26:04 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

His central front seems quite weak...but he should be able to strenghten it come mud. Dislodging the line before mud could be helpful for winter offensives...but you need tanks for that.

True, but the USSR rail capacity means that I need to dislodge it properly and fast, cannot do that atm with the state my panzers are in.

Terje

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 351
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 3:31:36 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kamil

1. I think You have wasted your chance attacking in the north.
Nothing to gain there but opportunity to loose manpower and time in futile attacks on forested and flooded hexes.

2. He is stronger than You anywhere but in the north, but prefers You to think otherwise and catch You flat-footed without forts and with low body count once he switches to attack.

3. You have one more chance for meaningful offensive, but only if You play with fire and make Yourself weak everywhere but in area of Your attack.

4. I am afraid, that if You persist in Your current strategy, game's result will be either major or minor Soviet victory, and I would put my money on major.

1. As it turned out, yes I agree
2. I seriously do not think so. If you look at his AP loss, he has basically gained 0 AP for the entire game, yet have converted some units into Corps. His army is not much stronger than in -41, in terms of # of units, probably less than in -41. This turn I did not bother spotting much as I pretty much know how his defences is. About 1/4 of his forces are in the north.
3. Well, I am allready weak, guess you mean weaker
4. Yes, I agree, but that is not a big surprise to me as I have yet to win a single game of WiTE.

Terje

(in reply to KamilS)
Post #: 352
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 4:13:28 PM   
ErsteKavallerieDivision

I still see many options for greatly improving your position:
a) North of Lake Peipus, there are about 16 divisions, many of them Panzer and Mot. This deployment is strange; I would start fortifying a straight line there, with Infantry only, plus some engineers. Then put them in static mode. Maybe another division in reserve mode. Send all Panzer and Mot to the south.
b) Northwest of Pskov: Too many colours (five armies). Again, extract all Panzer and Mot divisions, build a straight line southeast. The southmost corps of 18th Army should retreat to the western banks, which are already at fort level 2.
c) Further downsouth, the line already exists to some extent. The Velikije Luki bulge could be removed to spare some units.
d) 9th and 2th Army would need some minor alignment. Static mode preferred.
e) Free the mobile units, put others in static mode to reduce attrition losses.
f) Then form a Schwerpunkt in the south to bag some enemy armies, just like you did in the past.

"Widely terra incognita", Henning von Tresckow on German army's knowledge about Russian reserves (June 21, 1941; at that time chief operations officer of AGC.)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 353
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 4:23:15 PM   
janh

Ying yang, I need to remember this expression. Very funny. I find your manpower is also quite low, have you already disbanded useless stuff like a few airbases and such?

The thought with leaving at least some Panzers in the line is probably right. What you need is again a surprise moment like that just after spring. Else you'll have to keep eating through thick carpets, and the enemy will likely dig faster than you can penetrate them. That's seems to be the catch a LG presently -- if there was not already at least one more lvl 3 fort belt visible, my take would be to keep grinding until the dam breaks. Just like the last huge pocket, once you are through the fortifications and have cleared just one good route, the Red Army will fold like a carthouse in the surroundings. If at all, the only way I may guess to be left for LG would be the indirect route via Novgorod. But it is swampy and bad, and would hand all advantages to the defender. Might be an option for infantry combined with general winter, though?

Else, I agree with Karri - the better terrain for mobile blitz combat and pocketing is in the center and south. He has a lot lot of units in the marshes between the Crimean isthmus, and Djenprpropetrovsk. Slow retreat terrain, coupled with a natural gauge in its rear: the coastline angling ENE to Stalino. I might look at the option of a thrust via the Kharkov-Belgorod Sector then towards Stalino and Rostov...? Even if he retreats his units into the Crimea, these will be a long way off to the reinforce other sectors... Plus that one would take of his (presumably) strongest units...

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 354
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/16/2012 9:35:30 PM   
Peltonx

I would change over to defensive now. You should be close to 4 mil during 43.

Set-up armys for reserve mode. You should be able to hold ground during 43. Much better then late game

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 355
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/17/2012 12:04:09 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: ErsteKavallerieDiv

I still see many options for greatly improving your position:
a) North of Lake Peipus, there are about 16 divisions, many of them Panzer and Mot. This deployment is strange; I would start fortifying a straight line there, with Infantry only, plus some engineers. Then put them in static mode. Maybe another division in reserve mode. Send all Panzer and Mot to the south.
b) Northwest of Pskov: Too many colours (five armies). Again, extract all Panzer and Mot divisions, build a straight line southeast. The southmost corps of 18th Army should retreat to the western banks, which are already at fort level 2.
c) Further downsouth, the line already exists to some extent. The Velikije Luki bulge could be removed to spare some units.
d) 9th and 2th Army would need some minor alignment. Static mode preferred.
e) Free the mobile units, put others in static mode to reduce attrition losses.
f) Then form a Schwerpunkt in the south to bag some enemy armies, just like you did in the past.

a) Yes, it is strange NOW They were there in the hope of not seing a lvl3 unbreakable USSR line. Situation retified.
b) They were present in a hope of a penetration that never occured, now down to 2 colours.
c) Centre is still pushing with their Infantry
d) colours please
e) Done
f) Will do so when the panzer/mechs are up to some strength atleast. Atm there are too many 3CV panzers in the mix.

Terje

(in reply to ErsteKavallerieDivision)
Post #: 356
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/17/2012 12:05:17 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

Ying yang, I need to remember this expression. Very funny. I find your manpower is also quite low, have you already disbanded useless stuff like a few airbases and such?

The thought with leaving at least some Panzers in the line is probably right. What you need is again a surprise moment like that just after spring. Else you'll have to keep eating through thick carpets, and the enemy will likely dig faster than you can penetrate them. That's seems to be the catch a LG presently -- if there was not already at least one more lvl 3 fort belt visible, my take would be to keep grinding until the dam breaks. Just like the last huge pocket, once you are through the fortifications and have cleared just one good route, the Red Army will fold like a carthouse in the surroundings. If at all, the only way I may guess to be left for LG would be the indirect route via Novgorod. But it is swampy and bad, and would hand all advantages to the defender. Might be an option for infantry combined with general winter, though?

Else, I agree with Karri - the better terrain for mobile blitz combat and pocketing is in the center and south. He has a lot lot of units in the marshes between the Crimean isthmus, and Djenprpropetrovsk. Slow retreat terrain, coupled with a natural gauge in its rear: the coastline angling ENE to Stalino. I might look at the option of a thrust via the Kharkov-Belgorod Sector then towards Stalino and Rostov...? Even if he retreats his units into the Crimea, these will be a long way off to the reinforce other sectors... Plus that one would take of his (presumably) strongest units...

Current plan is scrapped, new one will be discussed below.
And I am ALWAYS short on manpower

Terje

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 357
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/17/2012 12:06:53 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I would change over to defensive now. You should be close to 4 mil during 43.

Set-up armys for reserve mode. You should be able to hold ground during 43. Much better then late game

If by defensive you mean in the term that the best defense is a good offense I agree
Is this really you Pelton? Advicing a halt for the Wehrmacht
Nah, IF my judgement is correct (and I think it is actually), then there should be room for some more mischief .

Terje

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 358
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/17/2012 12:15:20 PM   
terje439

Turn 68

Overall
After some thinking the "liberate Finland"-plan is cancelled and the planning brain cells wiped out by a few glasses of Rum. A new plan has been made (plan name : Gung-ho) (soundtrack "no retreat, no surrender" by Springsteen);
a) move as much as plausible over to static (some 20 divisions made the switch this turn)
b) reorganize (check)
c) relocate panzer/mechs (check)
d) reorganize panzer/mechs (check)
e) give the panzer/mechs some R&R (in progress)
f) wait for a few turns while the panzers/mechs regain some badly needed CV
g) after f) locate the best possible point of attack
h) rip TWO holes in the USSR defence and get us some more Hiwis
i) Pray the static parts hold untill h) is complete.

This turn we only made 24 attacks, the results were better than in a long time though, with 1 held, 17 retreats, 5 routs and 1 surrender.

Losses
USSR : 100.000 troops, 1.280 guns, 10 AFVs, 218 AC.
Axis : 40.000 troops, 358 guns, 54 AFVs, 61 AC.

USSR units lost
2 rifle divisions (20 AP).

Partisans hunted down

German pools
Manpower : 111
Vehicles : 233.498
Armaments : 17.813
Hiwi : 16
Panic mode = ON
Turns untill no armaments : 1
Come on Mr.Speer, I need guns not trucks here!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 359
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 11/17/2012 12:49:28 PM   
juret

always refit on railroads terje

I would spread 1/3 of the mobile units to an reserve shield behind the weakest fronts in agc-agn and 2/3 to make smaller offensive in the south

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI