Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn 28 - Battle for Hill 65

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Turn 28 - Battle for Hill 65 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn 28 - Battle for Hill 65 - 10/1/2011 6:17:18 AM   
comte

Battle for Hill 65

Here are the results for the battle at Hill 65. The 173rd Airborne took heavy casualties but the VC took heavier ones. The VC held the hill after the assault. Hopefully one more attack can push them off. This concludes turn 28.

Attachment (1)

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 151
Turn 29 - News Summary - 11/5/2011 5:44:30 PM   
comte

Turn 29 - November 7th to November 10th 1965

Operations SAYONARA/GOOD FRIEND II/SPREAD OUT, and Happy Valley I & II continue this turn with negative enemy contact. Operation ALL THE WAY is Terminated as the NVA have begun withdrawing towards the Cambodian Border safe areas a new operation will be started to catch the fleeing enemy units. Operation HUMP continues the battle for Hill 65 this turn. Here's the news summary for Turn 29.

Attachment (1)

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 152
Turn 29 - Operation HUMP, Hill 65 Battle - 11/5/2011 5:48:14 PM   
comte

Battle for Hill 65 Continues

The US 173rd Airborne Brigade has taken Hill 65 with the help of Australian and New Zealand troops. The Viet Cong fighters took heavy casualties but managed to withdraw from the hill and disappear into the surrounding jungles. A victory for Allied forces Vietnam. Here's the battle results.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 153
Turn 29 - Phi Ho CIDG Camp - 11/5/2011 5:52:10 PM   
comte

CIDG Camp opens at Phi Ho

On November 8th Detachment A-212 is ordered to secure and build a new CIDG camp at Phi Ho on the South Vietnamese coast. Not sure if you can see it but alot of the bridges in this area have been destroyed by the Viet Cong. The camp is set up without incident.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 11/5/2011 5:53:20 PM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 154
Turn 29 - ROK Operation Lightning - 11/5/2011 5:58:42 PM   
comte

ROK Operation Lightning - Search and Destroy

Beginning on November 8th the 2nd ROK (South Korean) Marine Brigade is ordered to conduct a search and destroy mission in Kanh Hoa province around Cam Lam. This is the ROK Marines first search and destroy mission. They find a well entrenched Viet Cong unit southwest of Cam Lam they cautiously attack the target causing minimal casualties for both sides. Airstrkes will pound the VC position as the ROK Marines prepare for a bigger assault. This concludes Turn 29.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 155
Turn 30 - News Summary - 11/14/2011 3:24:35 PM   
comte

Turn 30 - November 10th to November 14th 1965

Operation Happy Valley I & II continue this turn with negative enemy contact. Operation SAYONARA/GOOD FRIEND II/SPREAD OUT is terminated. ROK Operation Lightning continues with heavy enemy contact. This turn will feature the beginning of the Ia Drang valley campaign which is the big event in '65 in most general histories of Vietnam. Vietnam HD the history channel show that just came out had an excellent episode that featured this battle. Here's the news summary for Turn 30.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 156
Turn 30 - Operation Lightning Battle - 11/14/2011 3:32:28 PM   
comte

ROK Operation Lightning second battle results

The 2nd Brigade South Korean Marines continue the battle with the Viet Cong Unit they found south west of Cam Lam in Kanh Hoa province. With the aid of US airstrikes the ROK Marines cause devastating casualties on the Viet Cong unit they found. The ROK marines claim victory as the VC withdraw from their fortified position and move west into the mountains.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 157
Turn 30 - Operation Blue Marlin - 11/14/2011 3:49:19 PM   
comte

Operation Blue Marlin I - Search and Destroy

On the 10 of November the 2nd Battalion 7th Marines and the VNMC 3rd Marine Battalion are ordered to conduct Operation Blue Marlin in Quang Tin province. This was the first joint USMC/VNMC amphibious landing of the war 10 km north-northeast of Tam Ky on "Green" beach. It also served at repositioning 2/7 from Qui Nhon to the Chu Lai TAOR where it rejoined its parent regiment. There is negative contact with the enemy during the operation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 11/14/2011 3:50:18 PM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 158
Turn 30 - Operation Silver Bayonet I - 11/14/2011 4:13:01 PM   
comte

Operation Silver Bayonet I - Search and Destroy

The US 1st Cavalry Division has ordered its 3rd Brigade to replace the 1st Brigade in the pursuit of the NVA units that are heading towards the Cambodian border through the Ia Drang Valley after the battle at Plei Me CIDG camp. The NVA units have been seen heading towards the Chu Pong Massif. A Fire support base will be set up at LZ Falcon east of the Chu Pong. The 1st Battalion 7th Cavalry will land at LZ X-Ray. The 1/7 encounters heavy resistance at X-Ray and is reinforced after several days by the 2nd Battalion 5th Cavalry. A massive NVA force is encountered made up of 3 regiments it it believed. They have set up fortified positions to ambush the US forces. Another US battalion 2/7 Cavalry lands at LZ Albany north of X-Ray and also meets heavy resistance. Heavy US airstrikes hit the NVA units who seem to be slowly withdrawing as more and more US firepower is brought into play. Hopefully the NVA can be destroyed before they all slip over the border into Cambodia.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 11/14/2011 4:15:48 PM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 159
Turn 30 - Battle at LZ X-Ray - 11/14/2011 4:18:18 PM   
comte

Battle at LZ X-Ray

Here are the results for the battle fought at LZ X-Ray. The NVA took heavy casualties and withdrew west towards Cambodia.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 160
Turn 30 - Battle at LZ Albany - 11/14/2011 4:20:57 PM   
comte

Battle at LZ Albany

Here are the results for the battle at LZ Albany north of X-Ray by 2/7 Cav Battalion.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 161
Turn 30 - Operation Road Runner - 11/14/2011 4:25:22 PM   
comte

Operation Road Runner - Road Security

On the 10th of November the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Infantry Division have been tasked with clearing a 13 km stretch of road for the safe passage of the 7th ARVN Regiment. There have been several encounters with small Viet Cong units in the opening phase of the operation but they were brushed aside quite easily by the 3rd Brigade units conducting the operation. This concludes Turn 30.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 162
RE: Turn 30 - Operation Road Runner - 11/30/2011 9:47:14 AM   
berto

Several months ago, out of frustration with the lack of progress towards fixing some of the serious issues and omissions in TOAW (especially as they relate to deficient naval/air operations, and simulating combat in the WWII Pacific Theater), I gave up on TOAW and uninstalled it from my game systems.

Seeing your ongoing VCO AARs, I am reminded that -- apart from everything else -- TOAW/VCO is a pretty decent Vietnam War game/simulation.

Maybe I'll reinstall TOAW if only for the pleasure of playing VCO.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 163
RE: Turn 30 - Operation Road Runner - 12/1/2011 6:55:27 PM   
berto

By your AAR graphics images, it's apparent that you have (just recently?) upgraded to TOAW 3.4.

IIRC, VCO was vetted only for TOAW 3.3 (and before?).

Have you observed any problems running VCO with TOAW 3.4? Do you have any authoritative info about current VCO compatibility?

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 164
RE: Turn 30 - Operation Road Runner - 12/2/2011 5:54:06 AM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

By your AAR graphics images, it's apparent that you have (just recently?) upgraded to TOAW 3.4.

IIRC, VCO was vetted only for TOAW 3.3 (and before?).

Have you observed any problems running VCO with TOAW 3.4? Do you have any authoritative info about current VCO compatibility?

I haven't seen any problems with gameplay in version 3.4 but I have seen some minor problems with the graphics since I upgraded. When using the PNG graphics the units don't quite match up such as the NVA regulars I have in this screenshot they should have the infantry icon instead of the guerrilla icon. Also I noticed that the Royal New Zealand Artillery icon is screwed up. Also Phong Dien south of the DMZ has boxes next to its name for some reason. The PNG files need to be updated for these scenario's. I have no idea how to do this I gotta contact Boonie about this and see if he can fix it. I only started using the upgraded graphics to try and get more excitement and interest for these scenarios. I've been using both types of graphics for screen shots. The only thing keeping me from updating more frequently is helping my wife take care of my 4 month old baby and work. I only use TOAW for the Vietnam scenarios but there is also an awesome World War I what if scenario by Bill II that involves the Confederates and the Union fighting it out in 1914 I'm looking forward to playing that when I get a chance. Any way welcome back Berto

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 12/2/2011 5:55:14 AM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 165
RE: Turn 30 - Operation Road Runner - 12/2/2011 7:12:21 AM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aces8

I haven't seen any problems with gameplay in version 3.4 but I have seen some minor problems with the graphics

Given the problems you describe, it seems that for VCO, there's pain without gain upgrading to TOAW 3.4.

quote:

I only use TOAW for the Vietnam scenarios

TOAW is only as good as its scenarios. Yes, I think I will reinstall TOAW (likely 3.3; and I actually prefer the 3.3 graphics) just in order to play VCO.

< Message edited by berto -- 12/2/2011 7:13:22 AM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 166
VCO, recommended reading - 2/11/2012 2:09:50 PM   
berto

I re-installed TOAW yesterday and patched to 3.2.29.27. I also downloaded and re-installed the entire current VCO set, Volumes 1-14.

Now what I need are a good two or three military histories of the Vietnam War. Our public library has books galore about the conflict, but focusing understandably on the politics and the protest of the era. Not so useful to a war gamer looking for detailed, nitty gritty background reading about the fighting.

< Message edited by berto -- 2/11/2012 2:11:32 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 167
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 11/17/2012 9:50:16 AM   
Boonierat

The single best volume on the ground war is Shelby Stanton's Rise and Fall of an American Army:

For more in-depth reading, the first two volumes of the US Army in Vietnam series edited by the CMH are absolute must-haves and are available for free to download in pdf:

http://history.army.mil/html/books/091/91-5/index.html

http://history.army.mil/html/books/091/91-4/index.html

For more suggestions, check my bibliography thread over at ACG: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42241

I've recently re installed TOAW 3.2.29.27 to play my entire series of scens again, enjoy.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 168
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 11/18/2012 4:45:37 PM   
comte

Hey Boonie long time no see. I have abandoned this aar but I'm thinking about doing a new one. I wanna do your Tet scenario using the newest patch.

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 169
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 11/19/2012 9:06:54 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

The single best volume on the ground war is Shelby Stanton's Rise and Fall of an American Army ...

... I've recently re installed TOAW 3.2.29.27 to play my entire series of scens again, enjoy.

Thanks for the reading suggestions. In-depth readings are the motivation I need to play your scenarios.

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 170
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 12/15/2012 2:36:10 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

The single best volume on the ground war is Shelby Stanton's Rise and Fall of an American Army:

I purchased the e-book.

quote:

I've recently re installed TOAW 3.2.29.27 to play my entire series of scens again, enjoy.

I infer that VCO is compatible with that version of TOAW only.

A pity, because it doesn't appear that 3.2.29.27 supports wide-screen displays (1920x1080 in my case). Is there a secret to this?

I don't want physically larger hexes stretched out to fill a larger display. I want to see more standard-sized hexes, more of the map in a single panoramic view. Not a smallish porthole view, with lots of scrolling and jump map clicking.

So why not use the latest 3.4 (which supports wide screens)? I've had bad experience playing older scenarios on 3.4. That you, the scenario designer, still choose to play VCO on 3.2 strongly, definitively suggests that VCO-on-3.2 is still the way to go.

It seems that Matrix now only offers 3.4.0.202 for download at their website. A year or two ago, they offered 3.2.29.27 and still earlier versions for download. Fortunately, I had saved a copy of the 3.2.29.27 installer. Too bad that Matrix has seen fit to remove the older installers.

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 171
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 12/15/2012 3:40:39 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

A pity, because it doesn't appear that 3.2.29.27 supports wide-screen displays (1920x1080 in my case). Is there a secret to this?

I don't have a readily available 3.2.29.27 copy installed on my PC to check that, but I do have 3.3.0.6, which is only slightly different from it, and it has no problem with that. Note that 3.3.0.6 is included with the 3.4 update.

quote:

It seems that Matrix now only offers 3.4.0.202 for download at their website. A year or two ago, they offered 3.2.29.27 and still earlier versions for download. Fortunately, I had saved a copy of the 3.2.29.27 installer. Too bad that Matrix has seen fit to remove the older installers.

All the updates are still on the site. See the attached screenshot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 172
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 12/15/2012 4:22:14 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I don't have a readily available 3.2.29.27 copy installed on my PC to check that, but I do have 3.3.0.6, which is only slightly different from it, and it has no problem with that. Note that 3.3.0.6 is included with the 3.4 update.

I would want to hear Stéphane's opinion about VCO's compatibility with 3.3.0.6 before undertaking that.

quote:

quote:

All the updates are still on the site. See the attached screenshot.

I am referring to what I see listed here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/latestdownloads.asp?a=2

When you try the download link ("All [1] Downloads For This Product"), you see only 3.4.0.202.

Before Matrix removed the pre-3.4.0.202 installs from that customer-facing view, I had taken the precaution of downloading every available update, as far back as v30017. (I have retained these.) I have visited the download page multiple times over the years, and I don't ever recall seeing 3.3.0.6 listed there. Maybe just my bad luck. (3.3.0.6 is the one I don't have, but with your screenshot, I now know how to get it. Thanks for the geeky hint.)

If the earlier installs are still publicly available (and not in a geeky, insider sort of way), Matrix is doing a good job of obscuring that.

Anyway, for greatest enjoyment, I would very much prefer playing (vetted) VCO on wide-screen. I'd like to hear if and how Stéphane achieves that.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 173
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 12/15/2012 8:06:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Before Matrix removed the pre-3.4.0.202 installs from that customer-facing view, I had taken the precaution of downloading every available update, as far back as v30017. (I have retained these.) I have visited the download page multiple times over the years, and I don't ever recall seeing 3.3.0.6 listed there. Maybe just my bad luck. (3.3.0.6 is the one I don't have, but with your screenshot, I now know how to get it. Thanks for the geeky hint.)

If the earlier installs are still publicly available (and not in a geeky, insider sort of way), Matrix is doing a good job of obscuring that.

As I said, 3.3.0.6 is contained within the 3.4.0.202 release - it was never an offical release itself. If you have 3.4 installed, it will be found in the main TOAW III directory.

One man's geeky is another's standard operating procedure. Personally, I can't imagine trying to download a 220MB file without using an FTP server. So, hopefully, anyone reading my post now knows that ftp.matrixgames.com is the ftp site, and can now access it using FileZilla or such - like an insider.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 174
RE: VCO, recommended reading - 12/15/2012 9:20:14 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
As I said, 3.3.0.6 is contained within the 3.4.0.202 release - it was never an offical release itself. If you have 3.4 installed, it will be found in the main TOAW III directory.

Ah, I missed that.

quote:

One man's geeky is another's standard operating procedure. Personally, I can't imagine trying to download a 220MB file without using an FTP server. So, hopefully, anyone reading my post now knows that ftp.matrixgames.com is the ftp site, and can now access it using FileZilla or such - like an insider.

I deal in IT geekiness, night and day, virtually without escape. You have no idea.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 175
RE: VCO, wide-screen TOAW - 12/19/2012 5:12:22 PM   
berto

I reconfigured a 3.4.0.202 install as 3.3.0.6.

In the 3.4.0.202 Whatsnew file, I saw no reason to doubt that 3.3.0.6 should work with VCO.

I then launched 3.3.0.6 ... and still no wide-screen resolution.

In the 3.4.0.202 Whatsnew file, it says:

quote:

35. There is now an Opart 3.ini switch to set the screen resolution for TOAW. This setting, if chosen, will only be in effect while TOAW is running, and will revert to the PC’s original setting after TOAW exits. This can be useful on hi-res screens that otherwise leave TOAW text too small to read.

Unfortunately, what this switch might be is not indicated in the Whatsnew AFAIK. And the default Opart 3.ini showed no such switch.

A Google search ("toaw screen resolution") uncovered this tip at the Operational Warfare Developer's Blog (http://operationalwarfare.com/post/2010/09/21/Toaw-34-187.aspx):

quote:

Added support for changing screen sizes. This doesn't work while remote desktopping into another PC. I wasn't able to do anything good with the UI, but if you change the N to a Y it will change the screen resolution and will change it back when it's done.
ChangeScreenResolution=N
ScreenY=600
ScreenX=800

But it's all moot, because of course this only applies to 3.4+, not to 3.3.0.6.

Another listed search result (http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?86607-About-screen-resolution) had this to say:

quote:

Got the right bypass, play the game in XP compatibility mode

It works fine, thanks to Ralph

And indeed, that did the trick!

edit> I should add that my gaming system runs Windows 7.

Viewable wide-screen (on a 1920x1080 monitor; the left-half of my dual monitor display), the large-map, monster VCO scenarios are now playable. So happy for this!

< Message edited by berto -- 12/19/2012 5:56:28 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 176
RE: VCO, wide-screen TOAW - 12/20/2012 5:24:20 AM   
Boonierat

quote:

Viewable wide-screen (on a 1920x1080 monitor; the left-half of my dual monitor display), the large-map, monster VCO scenarios are now playable. So happy for this!

I run 7 too, and yes, XP compatibility is the key to play 1920x1080.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 177
RE: Turn 28 - Operation Hump/14-65 - 9/3/2020 7:15:54 PM   
comte

Future Test for AAR

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 178
RE: Turn 28 - Operation Hump/14-65 - 9/8/2020 10:14:50 PM   
Hellen_slith

Looks great!!

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 179
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Turn 28 - Battle for Hill 65 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI