Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sudden Unexplained Sinking of a Carrier in UV 2.11

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Sudden Unexplained Sinking of a Carrier in UV 2.11 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sudden Unexplained Sinking of a Carrier in UV 2.11 - 12/19/2002 5:47:57 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Is a catastrophic bulkhead failure (or something akin to that) modeled in a damaged carrier?? The reason I ask...as IJN player in the "four weeks of hell" scenario, the Shokaku (with approx. 50 % flotation damage, no fires and perhaps 15% system damage (she was able to manage about 13 kts.) was transitioning back to Truk. Well North of Buka, without being spotted by enemy air and without any report of a sub attack, I got a report in the middle of the end-turn resolution "shokaku sinks". No word about the commander, no great cry of lamentation (except on my part). I'm playing a PBEM, and this may well cost me the game (the entire plane complement was trapped on board).

Sure enough, during the planning phase....in that TF there is nothing left but a destroyer..not even some flotsam. BTW, I did not have the Battle Animation screen on.

What gives?? Poor welds, cheap steel, giant squids, great white whale?
Post #: 1
- 12/19/2002 7:28:45 AM   
XPav

Send the save to Matrix.

I love it when a plan comes together.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2
- 12/19/2002 9:44:10 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

I would say you are a victim of the FOW. I have seen this before.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 3
- 12/19/2002 9:50:32 AM   
SoulBlazer

For your own side?

If I understand Cap's post, he IS playing as Japan.

Post #: 4
- 12/19/2002 4:09:46 PM   
gus

Hey Cap,

A damaged ship as yours will continue to incur flotation damage while at sea during the transit home so your first order of business is to get her to the nearest friendly port where the float damage can be repaired and only then send her to Truk as necessary.

In the sceanrio you are playing I imagine that your CV was damaged somewhere in the vicinity of the lower Solomon Island chain which is a good 7-10 day steam from Truk provided there was no further decrease in speed. During this transit her flotation damage probably increased to 100% and she sank.

Check your old PBEM save game files and see if this is the case.

Gus

Post #: 5
- 12/19/2002 9:47:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Gus;

I first detoured to Shortlands to put the fires out..the 50% flotation damage refers to the damage at the start of that movement phase! I had the idea that the flotation damage would be repaired faster at Truk, which is the reason for taking the risk to send her North. Do you think it's possible to go from 50 to 100% in one movement phase? :( (these were 1-day turns of course)

Post #: 6
Response... - 12/19/2002 9:52:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

It is indeed possible with IJN damage control to have a catastrophic "roll" and go from 50% to 100% in a day, sinking the ship. Very rare, but possible. If the captain survived, perhaps you can have a chat with him about who left the portholes open. ;)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 7
- 12/19/2002 10:02:05 PM   
mdiehl

No! Not "IJN Britannic"!

Post #: 8
- 12/19/2002 10:04:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wow Erik;

Guess I shoulda taken my chances at Shortland. At least I feel somewhat better knowing it's within the range of mathematical possibility. Exactly how many "dice" are in this "roll"? Are we talkin 1 in 100...one in 1000?

I am going right now to change that order in the other PBEM game and send another damged flattop back to Kavieng....and I am going to buy that asteroid collison insurance my agent was trying to sell me :)

Post #: 9
- 12/19/2002 11:51:43 PM   
Hoplosternum

Cap Mandrake,

You seem to have been very unlucky here to have sunk on the first turn, but personaly I think you took a huge risk. I have seen ships putting on double digit floatation (and sys damage when float increased) per turn. The journey from Shortlands to Truk would take a few turns for a damaged ship and once it falls below a certain amount it starts moving at 2 hexes per turn! So if you travel out one day at one speed it may take many days to return if things start going wrong. I don't like to move any ship with any floatation damage unless it is going to be sunk anyway (i.e. it's port is under regular air attack).

Post #: 10
Hmmm.... - 12/20/2002 12:04:11 AM   
gnuseditor

Shokaku sinks? HORRIBLE news!!!! (heh heh)

OK, now send me your next turn, Cap!!! :)

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves
----------------------------------------

Post #: 11
- 12/20/2002 12:16:43 AM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cap Mandrake
[B]Gus;

I first detoured to Shortlands to put the fires out..the 50% flotation damage refers to the damage at the start of that movement phase! I had the idea that the flotation damage would be repaired faster at Truk, which is the reason for taking the risk to send her North. Do you think it's possible to go from 50 to 100% in one movement phase? :( (these were 1-day turns of course) [/B][/QUOTE] HOLY COW MAN! As IJN, NEVER leave a ship at sea with more than 25 Flt damage. Remember the words,"Progressive flooding".

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 12
- 12/20/2002 1:24:44 AM   
Yamamoto

Ships repair flotation damage VERY quickly in port compared to system damage. I never move ships with flotation damage out of port until the damage reaches zero. Usually it only takes a few days. Considering the slower speed the ship would go with flotation damage you'll proabably still make it to Truk faster than you would have by not waiting a few days to repair the flotation damage.

Yamamoto

Post #: 13
Re: Hmmm.... - 12/20/2002 2:58:21 AM   
Cap Mandrake

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gnuseditor
[B]Shokaku sinks? HORRIBLE news!!!! (heh heh)

OK, now send me your next turn, Cap!!! :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Gnuse...you SOB :D I thought I did send you the turn...I'll check when I get home.

The general feeling seems to be that I was a complete dunderhead to leave port with 50% flotation damage :o Given the outcome, I am inclined to take your advice in the future. In my defence, I was concerned about 17's from Lunga and in fact, Shortland was hammered by the Washington and some of her buddies immediately after departure.

This does bring up another question.....is it safe to send ships back to Pearl or Japan (in the longer scenarios) with flotation damage??

Post #: 14
- 12/20/2002 3:12:59 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Another question for the vets on this same sceanrio...how many runway hits does it take to silence a level 4 airfield. Lunga airfield runway has taken over 200 bomb and shell hits in the last 48 hrs and still is active. Admiral Yamamoto wont release any tactical nukes either.

Post #: 15
- 12/20/2002 3:43:45 AM   
Bax

quote:

This does bring up another question.....is it safe to send ships back to Pearl or Japan (in the longer scenarios) with flotation damage??

No, it's not safe. Nor is it smart. If you send a ship back to Japan while it still has floatation damage, it will take much longer to repair and be sent back to you. Only send a ship back to Japan if the floatation damage has been repaired first.

Oh, and Mandrake....you realize what this means, don't you? It means that you'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola Company for this!

lol, couldn't resist, sorry. :D

Post #: 16
- 12/20/2002 3:57:13 AM   
mbatch729

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bax
[B]No, it's not safe. Nor is it smart. If you send a ship back to Japan while it still has floatation damage, it will take much longer to repair and be sent back to you. Only send a ship back to Japan if the floatation damage has been repaired first.

[/B][/QUOTE]

A slight disagreement here, and it is a little "gamey" to do it. But, given the horrible damage control of the IJN, if you have a badly damaged ship where the floatation damage is increasing, the only way to "save" it may be to send it back to Japan. For reasons unknown, a ship sent back will never sink along the way. So, realistically, you can leave it in port to repair damage, or take advantage of a game quirk and return it for repair.

To my opponents: I've never used this in a PBEM game. Seems "wrong" to take advantage of this to correct my mistakes. Besides, most of my cripples don't last long enough to make it to port...

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Post #: 17
implosion - 12/20/2002 3:58:02 AM   
gnuseditor

Cap,

If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea either that flotation could go downhill so quickly ...and after your mini AAR, I'm really interested to see the state of my airfield on Lunga.

You raise a good point about sending ships back to the mianland/Pearl ... I hope we get a comment from one of the vets.

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves
----------------------------------------

Post #: 18
- 12/20/2002 6:17:13 AM   
Toro

I believe that a ship suffering from flooding or fire damage that's sent to Pearl/Japan will take longer to arrive, thus extending the "repair" time. (Read this in a thread many moons ago.) Better to give the ship a couple in-port days to save the lost time in a "slower" transit back.

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Sudden Unexplained Sinking of a Carrier in UV 2.11 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI