Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> RE: Feedback Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Feedback - 11/20/2012 12:29:30 AM   
Lukas

There are no random starting positions. Was this on the turn Germany entered the war? Or did the AI have a change to change the unit positions?

(in reply to Mike Parker)
Post #: 31
RE: Feedback - 11/20/2012 4:34:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

There are no random starting positions. Was this on the turn Germany entered the war? Or did the AI have a change to change the unit positions?
warspite1

I will check and let you know, but from memory it was the first turn when Germany attacked.

Edit: Checked and it appears the start positions are the same - apologies My eyes must be playing tricks on me in my frail dotage....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/20/2012 4:59:35 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 32
RE: Feedback - 11/20/2012 4:55:34 AM   
tenryu

I was able to "swap" an Armored Train off the railroad tracks with an infantry unit in clear terrain. Next turn I swapped the train back onto the tracks by using another adjacent unit on a railroad. I expect this needs fixing.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: Feedback - 11/20/2012 12:04:24 PM   
catwhoorg

Minor low priority QOL

Have a double click on the savegame filename open it.

I'm so used to that in windows, I keep doing it, then it gets a DOH! and I hit launch.

(in reply to tenryu)
Post #: 34
RE: Feedback - 11/20/2012 12:16:53 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

After reading warpsites excellent AAR it seems the German Army could do with some beefing up. Having heard people struggle from the CP point of views aswell it probably isn't an AI issue. I think it may need looking at. Not sure what it is but I feel it needs abi more work somehwere to make it play like WW1 rather than a mix of WW1 and WW2 which is how it felt not long into Warspiets AAR.

I got caned by the Central Powers AI quite a few times! I could of course just suck. :P

I'm in a game now up to 1918 as the Entente and the CPs have conquered Russia and Serbia. The British took all of the Ottoman Empire up to Erzerum after a successful Gallipoli landing in 1916 took Constantinople, but then Russia surrendered and the Germans promptly Kaiserschlacht'd them all the way back to Gaza and the Ottomans are back in the war. There will be no Americans harmed in this Great War as the Entente assiduously torpedoing every Swedish convoy just outside Konigsberg has annoyed them.

The Italians have Trieste and Trento though they are under heavy pressure and required French reinforcement, and the Entente is advancing on the Western Front under a deluge of artillery and bombs, I'm up to the Ruhr now. If there was any error from the AI it was liberating the Ottomans at the expense of the Western Front, but that's splitting hairs really, and it may still have been the correct thing to do.

I think the CPs have made a pretty good fist of it though and the Entente may be stopped yet. Looks like everybody is scraping the bottom of the manpower pools now. So the AI looks pretty good to me, with the 'I may suck' caveat. This game isn't including the successful German Schlieffen Plans it has managed to achieve against me. They were quick games...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 35
RE: Feedback - 11/25/2012 5:02:18 PM   
SAAvenger

Tried 2 games as entente and got my a** kicked two times.
First time I had no problem taking belgium and sacrificed my fleet to stop english convoys to france but had made no advance in Serbia before I got streamrolled by Russia, second time was the other way around, managed to almost take Serbia when I got streamrolled I did try to garnison city in germany but it didn't work (Konigsberg is the only one that held).

When the game starts it says that Russia needs time to mobilize, looks like it doesn't *grins* it has like 10 times the amount of troops I have. But that's not really the problem imho, the problem is the way russian troops can easily use infrastructure and go by train to berlin in a few turns. Even by putting garnison in every city the Russian troops move too fast and can just gang on each city one by one. I'd like to see some movement penalty for russian troops (or have their troops start very far from the front without any trains at disposal) which would ensure a slower entrance in war.

Also it seems Russian troops are better than germans (they usually can move and destroy my troops in the same turn with just 2-3 of their units even if I'm entranched for a couple of turns)

Of course it's only first two play run but I'm not a "blitzkrieg" player so I would definitely like a few more turns before having to face Russia

< Message edited by SA_Avenger -- 11/25/2012 5:03:34 PM >

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 36
RE: Feedback - 11/25/2012 8:27:34 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: SA_Avenger

Tried 2 games as entente and got my a** kicked two times.
First time I had no problem taking belgium and sacrificed my fleet to stop english convoys to france but had made no advance in Serbia before I got streamrolled by Russia, second time was the other way around, managed to almost take Serbia when I got streamrolled I did try to garnison city in germany but it didn't work (Konigsberg is the only one that held).

When the game starts it says that Russia needs time to mobilize, looks like it doesn't *grins* it has like 10 times the amount of troops I have. But that's not really the problem imho, the problem is the way russian troops can easily use infrastructure and go by train to berlin in a few turns. Even by putting garnison in every city the Russian troops move too fast and can just gang on each city one by one. I'd like to see some movement penalty for russian troops (or have their troops start very far from the front without any trains at disposal) which would ensure a slower entrance in war.

Also it seems Russian troops are better than germans (they usually can move and destroy my troops in the same turn with just 2-3 of their units even if I'm entranched for a couple of turns)

Of course it's only first two play run but I'm not a "blitzkrieg" player so I would definitely like a few more turns before having to face Russia

I too have some concerns about how well the Russians perform. One problem is that it's damned difficult to design a game where history can replicate itself, when so much of what actually happened was determined by "soft" factors like leadership, personality, psychology, and chance. I do agree that the Russians seem to move too fast and too flexibly, with too few restrictions, but I cannot quantify that, nor can I specifically give a suggested fix, as I'm not 100% sure there is a problem. I could just be terrible as the Germans. On the one hand, it would seem logical to make the Russians less mobile and less durable; give them good starting power but make replacements and upgrades more expensive, and perhaps cut their movement by a fraction. The problem then though would be you might make them totally incapable of posing a threat to Germany, and the Germans were very concerned about the Russians--indeed, for a while in 1914 the Russians moved pretty expeditiously into East Prussia.

At the scale of this game, it's hard to balance these things. The way things are now is pretty good. I think maybe a few tweaks to rail movement and the ability of the Russians (or anyone else) to move rapidly with infantry forces deep into enemy territory might help. In France it doesn't matter much, as the distances are so short. In the East, it does matter, but you still need to have the possibility of grand routs too.

(in reply to SAAvenger)
Post #: 37
RE: Feedback - 11/25/2012 8:33:21 PM   
Myrddraal

Russia doesn't start with the 'Industrial Warfare' tech, so their troops actually start with significantly lower stats than their German opponents. They quickly develop industrial warfare, which closes the gap significantly, but the Germans should (with no labs being bought on either side) stay one step ahead of the Russians.

Just to be sure - are you playing on Handicapped AI?

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 38
RE: Feedback - 11/25/2012 11:49:26 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Myrddraal

Russia doesn't start with the 'Industrial Warfare' tech, so their troops actually start with significantly lower stats than their German opponents. They quickly develop industrial warfare, which closes the gap significantly, but the Germans should (with no labs being bought on either side) stay one step ahead of the Russians.

Just to be sure - are you playing on Handicapped AI?

I play on Balanced. But damn, the Russians sure show up fast, and if I don't keep a 100% full line of units, they pour through the gaps. There are precious few units to go around, too, even if I abandon the coastal fortresses, which I don't like to do. Again, I am definitely not saying there's a flaw in the game, just that it appears to me that the Russians are more mobile and effective than I guessed they would be. Part of it is I have no idea how, as the Germans, to stop them effectively in the long term. I've held the line into 1916 only to have them grind a hole through it and capture Germany's Baltic ports like Stettin, driving deep into German lines with speedy infantry dudes.

Part of it is I am sure I'm not pressing them hard enough early on, but then, I haven't figure out how to free up enough resources to do that while simultaneously holding the line in France, where the seemingly endless flow of Entente troops makes having a double line imperative. And then of course the freakin' Italians come in and drive to Munich on a Sunday outing....:)

But again, there's a good chance that I need to figure out the magic trick here....

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 39
RE: Feedback - 11/26/2012 9:32:25 PM   
SAAvenger

playing on balanced as well and me too my problem is to actually be able to field anything to be able to slow them down. If you field north they'll take vienna and encircle you if you field most cities they can take one by one. The speed might be a problem but then it's "same" for everyone I suppose (but then do they have more trains ability I do not know, haven't had time to try allies yet). The amount of troops is sure a problem as well, they can surround 3 cities without problem in early game which is more than you an entente player could do even if it doesn't go on the offensive in the west.
The problem is I think germany has much more need for its resources than Russia and maybe that's why a player has so much trouble keeping the edge (at least in 1916 it didn't feel like I had any edge at all) maybe a small bonus to germany could actually balance it out rather than nerf Russia but which? munition per turn more or a couple PP? I actually have no clue either but it sure feels that when Russia is coming you want to be able to create a front even a weaker one. Right now it feels like you are playing on hard or that it's too fast paced. Again it may just be I'm not experienced enough but then I sure look forward to the fix to difficulty setting *grins* and it might not be the best welcome for new players to feel powerless (not just newbie :) )
I'll try to give a try at the allies and see what Russia really have so I could better see the difference

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 40
RE: Feedback - 11/26/2012 9:42:34 PM   
Myrddraal

quote:

and it might not be the best welcome for new players to feel powerless

Yeah, I'm really sorry about that. The patch is coming soon!

(in reply to SAAvenger)
Post #: 41
RE: Feedback - 11/26/2012 11:12:34 PM   
Orm

When I play Multiplayer I get the following message after the game has ended but I am unable to figure out how to watch the last turn.

quote:

This game is now complete but you can view a playback of the final turn by running Commander The Great War and clicking Multiplayer. Select this game from the list of current games and click Play.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 42
RE: Feedback - 11/26/2012 11:18:02 PM   
Orm

It would be nice if the stats with kills/losses would show countries that has surrendered. I.E. Belguim and Serbia.

They should at least have higher priority than neutral countries that probably never will enter the war. No reason at all for me to see that Sweden has lost no strength points at all.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 43
RE: Feedback - 11/26/2012 11:28:16 PM   
SetonHallPirate

quote:

quote:

Would you please define "soon"?

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 44
RE: Feedback - 11/26/2012 11:37:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

From what I've seen, if there is a game imbalance, its that the CP are too strong. PLEASE don't take anything away from Russia!!!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 45
RE: Feedback - 11/27/2012 1:01:41 AM   
BYU 14

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

From what I've seen, if there is a game imbalance, its that the CP are too strong. PLEASE don't take anything away from Russia!!!

Agree with Warspite, Russia when playing as the Entente is the toughest nation to manage, please don't weaken it. I love the balance on the western front now that I have figured out what I am doing and refined my strategy. Currently locked in a bloody stalemate there in 1916 and neither side shows signs of collapse. Russia on the other hand is going to screw me if they can't at least get through 1917.

Two things I have learned is you have to play ultra defensive with Russia and set your lines back a bit so you can hold on. they have a vast expanse to cover and if you try to advance too early you are done for. Second thing, get some british troops to Alexandrea and hold the suez canal. This is vital as that extra transport is vital to the Brits war effort.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 46
RE: Feedback - 11/28/2012 10:08:08 AM   
m10bob

Just my very humble opinion..No matter which side you play, I think the AI is getting a great advantage, at all levels..I played the AI (supposedly with the AI an imbecile, or whatever it's called), and he trounced me on all fronts but the Serbian frontier..

If each turn is 2 weeks, I also feel the ship transort to load and move should not take more than 1 turn, and if the destination is only the distance the ship can move per turn, she should also be able to unload that same turn.
(Please consider Dunkirk as an example?

More chrome please..I love the newspapers, might consider more declaring the capture of other cities, possibly mention how that certain city had been benefitting the oribinal owner, (I.E.: food source, manpower, Iron production, etc.)

Working with the above, perhaps give each city a rating of what it provides, which would then allow the newspapers to announce the type of loss happened with the loss of the city, and if the city icons are changed, perhaps give the different "types" of cities an icon of their own??

Curious,does the city loss at present deprive the original owning player anything to effect production??

Love the concept of this game and the sounds are terrific!!

(in reply to BYU 14)
Post #: 47
RE: Feedback - 11/28/2012 2:43:12 PM   
BYU 14

Remember though the "dumbed down" computer AI is broke at the moment. I will have to try a CP game and take a look at Russia as it is definitely not an offensive juggernaught for the human player.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 48
RE: Feedback - 11/29/2012 11:25:44 AM   
JJKettunen

Finally bought it. Enjoying it very much. Feels like a quality boardgame in a computer (which is a high praise). Great job guys!

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to BYU 14)
Post #: 49
RE: Feedback - 11/29/2012 11:29:25 AM   
Myrddraal

quote:

I think the AI is getting a great advantage, at all levels..I played the AI (supposedly with the AI an imbecile, or whatever it's called)

There is a bug in the game which means the AI on 'handicapped' gets production bonuses. This is not intentional and will be fixed in the first patch. I'd recommend you play on 'balanced' where the AI gets no production bonuses.

quote:

Curious,does the city loss at present deprive the original owning player anything to effect production??

If you press space, you can see the Production Points that each city provides. This income is reduced each time the city is attacked or bombed, and slowly recovers if left alone.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 50
RE: Feedback - 11/29/2012 11:33:15 AM   
m10bob

Excellent..Thank you for this info..Lot of detail in this game, but not so much to overwhelm.

(in reply to Myrddraal)
Post #: 51
RE: Feedback - 12/3/2012 11:26:40 AM   
JJKettunen

I have one complaint: this game is way too addictive. Please fix or do somefink!

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 52
RE: Feedback - 12/6/2012 8:22:11 AM   
SAAvenger

Some feedback as I succeeded on my first game as Entente Allies:
It's easier with allies although the beginning is still a bit rough (lost all belgium, Paris, Calais, Rouen, Verdun, Dijon before I could actually form a valid line)
IA is quite good at encircling or even using gaps except in some areas (like italian's border) but as time passes it misses focusing on capitals.
(I held serbian capitals from day 1 until the end and aside from the first few turns the IA never tried to capture it again or bring artillery to help him succeed, it just made sure it had one entrenched unit next to me most of the time)
Arabia is almost useless if they do not appear in a friendly controlled territory, lvl I tech against what was like VIII or IX they just can't hold anything. But basically once infantry has reached a point no other unit can hold (not even armor except I suppose if you've kept focusing on it) anyway I sold most my research centers except infantry as they gave me no real gain.
Found naval side to be lacking, ennemy had 1 sub left and managed to attack a convoy only once, never tried to rebuilt its navy after I destroyed it so I had full control of the sea to transport troops from Portugal or Italy to Serbia.
Russia is a tough one to handle but a few garrison at key points will slow IA if not stop it completely.
I believe it'd be nice if nations had like 100PP at start to play around with or an additional garrison unit on their capital.
Sometimes you'll see odd battle results like IA bombing and attacking one entrenched unit for ages without doing more than 4 damages and then one day it kills 8 of it in one go (I suspect it has to do with the red color/supply/upkeep but it was a bit rough)
IA will break at some point once it's starting to retreat/have holes in his line. It's sticking too much on its entrenched position and not trying to redraw a line back. Sometimes it'll give away cities without fighting as well.
Game definitely has that one more turn feeling and is addictive, allies have more opportunities than cp but I still wish we had the ability to play around a bit more and do more mistakes (not because the IA is too strong or anything but because I like that, try things out ) so I'm curious if easy mode is just a change in PP or amount of troops it could be fun (or have ability to modify setting could be nice too)

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 53
RE: Feedback - 12/6/2012 4:16:16 PM   
Major Bong

Small wishlist after winning twice as Entente in 1917 and getting a marginal victory as Center Powers after the turns ended.

1. AH should start with MG tech. The Schwarzlose MG was introduced before the war started and the KuK Army had machinegun companies by that time. This is part of the reason why AH struggles with Serbia so much in 1914.
2. Germany needs more manpower - in both my Entente wins the German front started to crumble in mid to late 1917 due to lack of reinforcements and unit quality.
3. Countries should prioritize their own front more - in Italy I had British units holding the frontline while the Italians sent off their men to the Western front, while I was using exclusively Austrians there.
4. Railroad guns need a use, introduce them earlier in the war. I had 4 labs working on their focused research and didn't get them before early 1918, plus another 10 turns production time.
5. You should be able to gift units like artillery to other nations and then use their ammo. Bulgaria and Turkey cannot produce their own guns but can produce ammo, and the Central Powers cannot afford to use their own ammo to support these fronts.
6. Africa: in my last game the British sent 2 tank units, several corps and garrisons as well as 2 fighter and 2 bomber squadrons to crush the Turks. If they had used this kind of power in France around 1917 they could have broken through. UK needs to prioritize.
7. Navy. If Germany manages to defeat the Royal Navy they should be able to open trade routes for extra resources. To be honest, I do not know if this is not in already, since I haven't sunk the RN so far, but breaking the blockade needs to be worth something.
8. It would be super-duper awesome if you could play as a single nation instead of a whole alliance (have the other nations managed by the AI, including stuff like help requests).
9. Diplomacy. A bit more options requiring resources would be nice here too, like convincing Italy to stay neutral or joining the Center Powers instead.

< Message edited by Major Bong -- 12/6/2012 4:24:25 PM >

(in reply to SAAvenger)
Post #: 54
RE: Feedback - 12/7/2012 1:41:50 AM   
Gilmer

I'm not a great player and in my second game as Entente, I did a lot better, but it seems that Germany and AH seems quite capable of handling anything I do. They seem to have plenty of units on every front. I was able to form a pretty decent line along the Calais/Verdun/Dijon lines and it was pretty stable.

Actually, I formed pretty stable lines on the big 3 fronts. But, it's 1915 now and during the winter, I was just not able to do enough damage to the CP to keep them from beginning to roll up my lines. Especially after Turkey gets in and I have to divert some units to the South to keep them from roaming free down there close to Batumi? (I can't remember what cities are where.)

It seems like Germany's garrisons bloody my nose pretty good - regardless of if they are regular or garrison or entrenched, even with some upgrades. I'd love to have a +1/+2 type addition to preferences types to rolls in battles and things. I'm not sure if the game can handle that.

< Message edited by H Gilmer -- 12/7/2012 1:46:48 AM >

(in reply to SAAvenger)
Post #: 55
RE: Feedback - 12/7/2012 1:46:18 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BYU 14

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Agree with Warspite, Russia when playing as the Entente is the toughest nation to manage, please don't weaken it. I love the balance on the western front now that I have figured out what I am doing and refined my strategy. Currently locked in a bloody stalemate there in 1916 and neither side shows signs of collapse. Russia on the other hand is going to screw me if they can't at least get through 1917.

Two things I have learned is you have to play ultra defensive with Russia and set your lines back a bit so you can hold on. they have a vast expanse to cover and if you try to advance too early you are done for. Second thing, get some british troops to Alexandrea and hold the suez canal. This is vital as that extra transport is vital to the Brits war effort.

Thanks for the good tips. I played Russia as not giving up land and sometimes going forward, early. I think this has caused me to have too many losses for Russia. I was doing well until the winter of 1914/1915, then it started to gradually come apart.

And that's a good tip for the Suez. I neglected it accidentally and all of Egypt was gone.

(in reply to BYU 14)
Post #: 56
RE: Feedback - 12/7/2012 2:21:47 AM   
Gilmer

My wish list. Not sure if possible.

1. A way to get the AI fight itself. I have used this before as a way to get an idea on how the AI fights each side, especially if I am able to watch both sides with no FOW.

2. A way to switch sides. Not as big for me, but it would be kind of nice.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 57
RE: Feedback - 12/7/2012 11:04:39 AM   
Falke

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Thanks for the good tips. I played Russia as not giving up land and sometimes going forward, early. I think this has caused me to have too many losses for Russia. I was doing well until the winter of 1914/1915, then it started to gradually come apart.

As Russia you should save up and buy a Bomber Asap, this is more important for them than Buying an Artillery because:-
a) Bomber Tech is maxed for them
b) Early AA tech is not so good.
c) The range means it can be used where needed.
d) Due to a) & b) it is nearly as effective as artillery in 15/16
e) It only uses 2 Ammo so can bomb every turn.
f) Initial Russian Ammo is 4? (or 5), for effective art. use this needs to be increased,but costs PP

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 58
RE: Feedback - 12/8/2012 7:32:40 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Finally took the plunge.......and I don't have a clue as to what I am doing:)

Although very early, some comments so far.

- Map is very large and nice to look at....really easy to see the information.
- User interface seems fairly easy to execute commands....however I can tell it is going to take some experience to know what commands to issue:)
- I am by no means a good strategy game player, so maybe just me, the AI on balance is kicking my $#$#! early in my game...nonstop hitting me all over the place

I believe most of these improvement opportunities have been mentioned already, but I will add them anyway.
- Russians need a different color....hard to tell difference between germans at first glance
- especially for a newbie like myself, an UNDO button is a must, which I know is coming.....not being familiar with the game, I have made many mistakes that I would like to have taken back
- maybe this already exists, but with a lot of units spread out across everywhere, is there any easy way to know which units haven't moved or taken action? Would be nice if there was some indicator on each unit.

Well, that is it for now, back to getting my butt handed to me:(

(in reply to Falke)
Post #: 59
RE: Feedback - 12/9/2012 2:51:48 AM   
Amaranthus

There is meant to be a hotkey to allow you to cycle through unmoved units (PgUp/PgDwn) but it is not working (at least on my Win7 PC, and I assume anyone else). I guess this will be fixed in the first patch. I know an undo move is also on the list of things to do (which would work provided you'd not revealed a FoW hex).

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> RE: Feedback Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI