Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Gems & Pearls" Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Gems & Pearls" Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Gems & Pearls" Mod - 11/26/2012 3:46:55 PM   
Martian

Minor update for the mod. Added 9 new cursors. See the first post.

Generally I am quite happy with these new cursors, but I don't have much experience for cursor design, so please feel free to share your opinions & ideas about improving cursor's representation to make it easy to see what each cursor "do" in the game. For example original "build" cursor was a "hammer" cursor, which I think is great to give an idea of "building, construction", but unfortunately it's completely out of game's sci-fi atmosphere. So I've decided to replace it with something which looks more industrial as you can see, but I am not sure if it "works", and if it can be clearly identified as build cursor... What do you think?

< Message edited by Martian -- 11/26/2012 4:42:39 PM >

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 31
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 11/26/2012 4:06:55 PM   
Martian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
Aw, man that is innovative.

(damn you for thinking of this before me )

As my shipsets are frankensteined from many sources, this would be a odd one to add, as only some races would use this new outline.

But I really like the concept. Especially on the troop transports - being able to identify and target those quickly is something I really, really want to add.

So, I'll frankenstein this concept into my shipsets. Thankyou!

Thanks Arcatus!
Yes, troop transports can be very sneaky when you have enemy's fleet attacking your planet! That was on of the thing which moved me to make this mod.
I am very happy you liked this concept! Wish you sincere good luck & patience to put it into your shipsets, as it took me about 2 weeks to do it for all of 651 original ships!

< Message edited by Martian -- 11/27/2012 2:34:34 PM >

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 32
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 11/26/2012 4:39:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Martian,

This looks like some fantastic work! Is this your first mod or are you a veteran modder/artist?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 33
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 11/26/2012 4:52:32 PM   
Martian

Hi Erik,

Thank you very much! No, I am not a veteran modder. I did few small mods for other games (for myself) but this is my first mod I release publicly. But I have some experience as 2D/3D designer (for broadcasting & commercials mostly) which I am enjoying to use to do some modding for this great game in my free time.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 34
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 11/27/2012 4:53:21 PM   
Martian

I've made a mistake: "explorationMarker.png" cursor is not used during gameplay, only in game editor mode. So I'll leave it unchanged for now.
But I can't find out where and how "mine.png" cursor is used. Does anyone have any ideas about it?

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 35
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 11/27/2012 5:43:16 PM   
Arcatus

Maybe if you have a controllable ship with mining components?

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 36
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 11/28/2012 2:13:52 AM   
Martian

Thanks for the idea, Arcatus.
Other than deploying resupply ships on gas planets I've never used any controllable ships for mining in my games.
I'll check that..

Edit: You were right, I made a new constructor ship with mining equipment. And with the ship selected I moved my cursor over planets: the "mine" cursor naturally appeared.

< Message edited by Martian -- 11/28/2012 2:33:58 AM >

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 37
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 11/28/2012 8:59:03 AM   
Martian

Gameplay cursors set updated (finished).... See first post.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 38
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/6/2012 5:06:46 PM   
Martian

Mod is updated to version 2.3. See first post....

+ Added 53 new & refined pictograms for game's interface.
- Most of the cursors are redesigned and refined.
- New version of galaxy backdrop.

Enjoy!

< Message edited by Martian -- 12/6/2012 5:08:38 PM >

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 39
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 2:51:21 AM   
Ponicus

Martian,

Your comprehensive graphics overhaul is impressive! I've been waiting for a mod like yours for a long time.

Wasn't sure I was going to like the colored outlines around the ships but once I fired it up it seemed like a natural feature for the game. That and the new ship exterior patterns quickly convey some important pieces of information (ship size and type) that it's hard to go back to playing without. The new icons add crisp clarity that is much appreciated when playing at a high resolution. The planets and stars look much better (although I think the atmospheric effects on planets is a little too strong). The new landscapes are amazing but unfortunately they are wasted since only a handful can be displayed in the game, I also hope the devs change that with the next expansion or version.

I'd recommend that everyone that owns the game give this mod at least a try. I also think that the devs should take a look at this mod and think about including it or something like it in the Shadows expansion. The game couldn't hurt for some updated graphics.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 40
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 6:58:49 AM   
Martian

to Ponicus

Thank you, Ponicus!

I am very glad to hear you liked this mod and I really appreciate you expressed it in kind and thoughtful feedback.
I would like to know more details about your comment on planets atmospheric effect. Do you think it's too strong for all types planets or only some of them? Also, is it thickness or opacity or colour of the atmosphere too strong?

And great thanks for your recommendations!
To be honest, I would be very happy to participate in DW development as an artist if offered.

(in reply to Ponicus)
Post #: 41
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 9:51:58 AM   
Sirian

Oh yes! Just what I have been waiting for. I have started modding those icons as well. You use very bright coloring, I am rather fond of more discreet icons in monochrome. But I might "borrow" some of your your shapes, they are very clean and very easy to discern.

I would also suggest making some atmosphere effects less intense, especally the swamp planets followed by the ocean ones and continental (and I would presume forest but I have no images to check right now). The atmosphere effect is just a bit too much. Maybe half the effect, its hard to tell without an image to judge. Event the volcanic planets are very red, Ice and barren are ok to me, I wouldn't change them.

The problem with planets is that the images are used in many different locations. On the main screen, the planets are looking good, but in the colony list and expansion planner, they look rather odd since there is no shadow there.

I borrowed your idea of surrounding ships with outlines, but I do not use colored outlines, just black ones. I found that when outlining ships and starbases, they look way better if they are positioned on top of other ships or planets.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 42
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 11:23:12 AM   
Martian

to Sirian

Thank you!
I also like your resource mod, although still didn't have enough time to fully enjoy it as I was busy with finishing and releasing last update for my mod these few days...

In daily life I also prefer plain colours for working interface but for this mod I used bright coloring for quicker and better identification. Another reason is because most of DW interface's elements are very small which makes it difficult to discern things with standard colours. Generally these new pictograms don't look so bright or annoying inside the game as they are usually surrounded by lots of plain-coloured space (unlike my preview in first post where they are put all together and look like a rainbow ). Also I've noticed some pictograms look dimmer inside the game than they really are. But of course, generally it's the matter of personal taste.

Thank you for detailed suggestion on atmospheric effects.

Personally I am quite satisfied with current planet's look. The reason why I made atmospheric effect for marshy swamp, ocean and continental planets more "thick" is because I believe these planets should have much more humid and dense atmosphere than for example desert or ice planets. I wanted to display that difference.

Also as original continental and marshyswamp planets look very similar, I made swamp atmosphere even more dense and greener.

And for volcanic planets I added more red to make them easier to discern from barren rock planets, especially when reviewing star system and all its planets from a distance.

But I appreciate your and Ponicus's feedbacks on this issue so I will check it out again and try to improve it.

Considering planets and ships graphics improvement, game's visual artifacts (aliasing and blurring) when zomming, rotating are bigger issue for me. And also another thing, as you mentioned, that "the images are used in many different locations" and in different scales.

Thanks for your notes on "outlines" for ships and stations. I am very glad my ideas are generally welcomed by other DW players. Looking forward to see your shipsets!

< Message edited by Martian -- 12/7/2012 1:03:49 PM >

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 43
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 1:58:38 PM   
Yskonyn

Great job and thank you for the hard work!
It truely is a superb mod! Insta-download and install!

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 44
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 4:08:36 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Superb!

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 45
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 4:15:24 PM   
Martian

to Yskonyn

Thanks, your kind words are very appreciated! They give me additional motivation to develop this mod.

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 46
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 4:16:48 PM   
Martian

to Gareth_Bryne

Happy!

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 47
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/7/2012 6:07:44 PM   
ASHBERY76

Awesome icons.The bland UI just got slightly less bland.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 48
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/9/2012 1:31:25 AM   
Ponicus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Martian

to Ponicus

Thank you, Ponicus!

I am very glad to hear you liked this mod and I really appreciate you expressed it in kind and thoughtful feedback.
I would like to know more details about your comment on planets atmospheric effect. Do you think it's too strong for all types planets or only some of them? Also, is it thickness or opacity or colour of the atmosphere too strong?

And great thanks for your recommendations!
To be honest, I would be very happy to participate in DW development as an artist if offered.

Regarding the atmospheric effects, I was talking about the same things Sirian brought up in the post after mine. The effect gives sense of depth, but I feel that towards the edge of the sphere it gets too thick. I just wonder if a lighter application of the effect would still give you what you want but avoid looking too opaque at the edges. The side effect as Sirian also brought up was that it also looks somewhat awkward in the list screens and the lower-left pane when you have a planet selected.

Would you consider offering alternate ship graphics with your black detailing and outlining applied to all ships (which I consider essential) but without the color outlines for military ships/bases?

Thanks for the great work!

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 49
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/10/2012 12:36:19 PM   
Sirian

quote:

Considering planets and ships graphics improvement, game's visual artifacts (aliasing and blurring) when zomming, rotating are bigger issue for me. And also another thing, as you mentioned, that "the images are used in many different locations" and in different scales.

Yes, that is a big problem. Using the same icon in a resolution between 100x100 and 20x20 pixels makes designing icons something between challenging and impossible. *g* Currently experimenting with components, those pictures are also being used in different resolutions.

My shipset is nothing spectacular, I play this game, Gratuitous Space Battles and I like those ships. Someone even made DWL shipsets from them but I didn't like all of those ships so I made a more reduced shipset with "better" stations. (I confess I am picky when it comes to stations) I am still tweaking here and there and also creating a system where I can design 5 different color sets at once, so its not ready for release yet. But I added a screenshot to peek.

I hope I can get to play the game again... I am doing far too much modding.

Regards, Sirian

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 50
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/10/2012 1:09:35 PM   
Martian

to ASHBERY76

Thanks, man!
I always appreciate your straight and unprejudiced comments!

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 51
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/10/2012 2:15:41 PM   
Martian

to Ponicus

quote:

Regarding the atmospheric effects, I was talking about the same things Sirian brought up in the post after mine. The effect gives sense of depth, but I feel that towards the edge of the sphere it gets too thick. I just wonder if a lighter application of the effect would still give you what you want but avoid looking too opaque at the edges. The side effect as Sirian also brought up was that it also looks somewhat awkward in the list screens and the lower-left pane when you have a planet selected.

Yes, I will revise atmospheric effect and try to improve it for the the next update. But I guess it can't look perfect both in the main view and in the list screens as long as the game use one source image for both places. And I think considering the planets - the quality for main view should be priority over list view.

quote:

Would you consider offering alternate ship graphics with your black detailing and outlining applied to all ships (which I consider essential) but without the color outlines for military ships/bases?

Sure, probably with a next update. Only for military ships? (remove red outline only?) How about exploration, colonize and construction ships?

(in reply to Ponicus)
Post #: 52
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/10/2012 4:01:38 PM   
Martian

to Sirian

quote:

I hope I can get to play the game again... I am doing far too much modding.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 53
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/10/2012 5:25:45 PM   
Ponicus

quote:

Sure, probably with a next update. Only for military ships? (remove red outline only?) How about exploration, colonize and construction ships?

Sorry, meant all ships with the colored outline. So it would be the black outlining/definition to all ships but without any of the colored outline. Gives a choice to the user of this wonderful mod if they want the color outlines or not.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 54
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/11/2012 12:24:30 AM   
Baleur

I love what you've done with the interface, and i like the idea of stripes or 'something' to distinguish the different classes of ships. But frankly i dislike the outlines and as such will not be using them.
The fact that you managed to make a new star glow animation is also great, but i somewhat dislike how dark the neutron and white dwarf stars are now.

As for the planets, very similar to what i did back a few months ago, here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2962283&mpage=1&key=�

Compilation
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965615&mpage=1&key=�

(in reply to Ponicus)
Post #: 55
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/13/2012 7:53:05 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Martian, I have just installed your GEM of a mod, and it's awesome! However, several problems arose:

1) The galaxy backdrop makes it hard to see some of the races' colors.
2) It also makes it hard to see the blinker for pirate\quest information locations
3) In short, something has to be done about the contrast between the backdrop and the rest of animations.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 56
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/14/2012 6:39:22 AM   
Martian

to Gareth_Bryne

Thank you,
Unfortunately I am extremely busy these days. No chance do any modding work until Wednesday. After that I will try to fix all noted issues and requests, including ship outlines, planet atmosphere and backdrops.

Cheers!

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 57
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/15/2012 5:12:49 AM   
SecuransRule

Beautiful mod. I like it a lot. Thanks for doing it.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 58
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 12/16/2012 12:09:12 PM   
Ralzakark

Really nice

Particularly like the new planetary landscapes and ruins.

(in reply to SecuransRule)
Post #: 59
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.3 (Updated Decemb... - 12/17/2012 9:48:10 PM   
putzinator

I really like this mod... great work! =)

The icons were a welcome addition.

(in reply to Martian)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Gems & Pearls" Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI