Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

B17s/B24s vs naval?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> B17s/B24s vs naval? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
B17s/B24s vs naval? - 5/14/2012 5:51:39 PM   
wga8888

Bob and I just finished our second short training game, to move onto a third before trying a WITP/WITP-AE guadacanal scenario before playign the big campaign game for years. As the latter will take actually years to finish, we are each testing what the actual capabilties of each sided assets are in the program.
-
Both of us are new to UCV and have only played two games of the early months. As the UCV and basic WITP forums are idle, I wanted to ask all of you that I have been playing or discussing UCV with. Everyone else has more experience than I. I assume this translates to AE but who knows
-
Allied B17s operationg out of Austrailia the B17s, ignored the crippled IJN CVs between PM and Australia and instead pounded the stationary IJN transports at Buna with success. Adding it up, B17s made 63 sorties, dropped 816 bombs (assume 12x500#), achieved 14 hits with a number of sinkings, while attacking at 22000+ altitude. Bob did some research and found historically B17s/B24s sank 12 ships in 11 months. The discussion is are the B17s are too effective in this games.
-
We are presently to start the game considering the following house rules between us. B17s cannot select Naval Attack as a primary mission or Naval Attack/Port attack as a secondary mission. This is based on the assumption they are too effective in the initial small numbers, and a major threat to shipping when available in large numbers [if conserved] in 1943. The counter questions are does this tie the Allies hands too much given the inability of Allied LBA to hurt IJN CVs flying CAP. The likelihood the USN will win a ‘Midway’ result in a 4 CV vs 4 CV battle seems unlikely per the previous AAR. The trend is the USN navy is sunk and the IJN sweeps the map.
-
We have both found LBAs (Bettys/Nells/various Allied bombers) typically do not attack CV TF that have CAP and cannot be counted on to attack other TFs in general. They will more successfully in striking fixed land targets.

Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Post #: 1
RE: B17s/B24s vs naval? - 12/24/2012 12:56:41 AM   
Mikawa

In UV they can be an uber weapon. Much more accurate than historically. If that house rule works for you, use it

(in reply to wga8888)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> B17s/B24s vs naval? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI