Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 9:21:28 AM   
terje439

Defences #2

Attachment (1)

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 481
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 9:22:18 AM   
terje439

OOB

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 482
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 9:23:27 AM   
terje439

# of destroyed units overall

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 483
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 9:24:23 AM   
terje439

Active pools (top half only)

Tigers....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 484
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 9:24:49 AM   
terje439

Transit pools (top half only)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 485
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 10:34:16 AM   
veji1

This is a super opportunity but you are getting weaker and weaker.. The perfect type of desperate situation looming for both of you that is great for AAR readers : You will fight with dwindling forces to trap and destroy 500k to 800k soviet soldiers, and he will fight to get them out.. All of this taking place in worsening climate, with just horrible fight going on in mud and rain and snow.. just great.

Keep it up.

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 486
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 10:59:38 AM   
juret

suggestion , to help u with the iniative and getting more inf to the South : ( u have alot of ap so ..)

18th army have way to much forces to only have 4 front hexes againt the enemy.
-1 corps NW nw psokow move to north psokov and make line there. (5 inf divs)
-narwa move 1 inf div south to cover behind the lonely inf cowering between the lakes.

psokov
- north of psokov move the lines south 2 hexes so it only get 4 hexes wide, move in the 18th army inf corp there. 4 inf in front and 1 in behind in the town.

This way u free up 9 inf divisions in 16th army.wich u can send down to AGS. and u only give up clear ground hexes who are hard to defend. this way u can anchor defence between the city and between the river sheldon.

If u do this during next mud he cant attack while your units arent in a fort.

U need the inf to exhange the mot/pz in front line duty just defending east kharkov/kurtsk area.

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 487
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 1:02:13 PM   
ErsteKavallerieDivision

The southern front of 17th Army is also way too strong, unless you are planning a breakthrough there.

I would move all German divisions that are in the 10/9 cv stacks to the army's left flank, to relieve 3rd Panzer or 6th Army.

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 488
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 1:34:05 PM   
SigUp

As has been mentioned, 18th Army is somewhat too strong for solely defensive purposes. I don't know whether Juret meant this, but your units behind the river linking Lakes Peipus and Pskov are unnecessary. If you hold your mouse onto the two hexes on the east side (the two swamp hexes) you should discover that only the southern hex can cross the river, and only to the hex west of it. Therefore it is enough to have one, at best two, divisions covering that one hex. This move alone would free up 4-5 divisions. If you want to hold the east bank, leaving your single infantry division in that level 3 fort hex is also enough (with perhaps another one fortifying the hex west of it).

(in reply to ErsteKavallerieDivision)
Post #: 489
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 4:05:05 PM   
terje439

Although I agree with you all in that the northern armies are too strong (in terms of units) for defensive purposes, I think there is one fact more that needs to be taken into consideration here, and that is that they are currently deployed (and digging) in bottlenecks. If/when I lose these bottlenecks, my front becomes some 10 hexes longer in a single turn. That is something I need to prevent, and the only way to do this imo is to build up forts behind the front as to force the enemy to break through atleast 2 lines with lvl 3 forts. The panzer/mechanized units on the line will be replaced rather soon anyway as the USSR withdrawal in the south is shortening my line.

So, in that regard, I am not sure that moving forces south is in my best overall interest. Will it makes things a little easier right now? Yes. Does it have the potential to kill me in one single turn? Yes.

Kinda tired right now, so hope I managed to get my thoughts across.

Terje

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 490
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 4:23:42 PM   
juret

As long as u are attacking in 43 that prevent him from majot offesnives and commit reserves to the south. As for now u cant defend stalino river line east couse u got no inf to di it.

Germany dont have so much resoureces that u can be prepaired for soviet offensive that might come and still do offensive actions.Do like pelton, either all out defence or attack. i Have seen 12-13 inf divisions u can move to south and create a new inf army with to support that limitited offensive panzerball u are so succesfull with. In my suggestion above u still have 5 inf in 3 front hexes in narva line, 2 inf between the lakes and 5 inf in 4 hexes north of psokov and if u fall back that line 1 hex u have only 2 open hexes between the city and the river to attack and they can only be attacked from 2 sides. This means basicly he cant attack untill he got 3-4 rifle corps to attack each of those hexes with arty divs behind.

As long as u attack and kill hes inf divs he cant spend AP on inf corps.

< Message edited by juret -- 1/4/2013 4:25:58 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 491
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/4/2013 5:19:55 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

1. As long as u are attacking in 43 that prevent him from majot offesnives and commit reserves to the south. As for now u cant defend stalino river line east couse u got no inf to di it.

2. Germany dont have so much resoureces that u can be prepaired for soviet offensive that might come and still do offensive actions.Do like pelton, either all out defence or attack. i Have seen 12-13 inf divisions u can move to south and create a new inf army with to support that limitited offensive panzerball u are so succesfull with. In my suggestion above u still have 5 inf in 3 front hexes in narva line, 2 inf between the lakes and 5 inf in 4 hexes north of psokov and if u fall back that line 1 hex u have only 2 open hexes between the city and the river to attack and they can only be attacked from 2 sides. This means basicly he cant attack untill he got 3-4 rifle corps to attack each of those hexes with arty divs behind.

3. As long as u attack and kill hes inf divs he cant spend AP on inf corps.

1. the big Q is how long I will keep doing so. End of mud I think will see my offensive capabilities halted.
2. Not convinced, but ok will move some forces south.
3. That was what I thought, still he can and he does...

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 492
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 12:17:54 AM   
Tophat1815

Basically T you are on your last "major" drive and if you pull it off well who knows what the future holds. But to pull it off you need infantry in the south and they must come from somewhere. If and it is an "if' you pull another major encirclement off the reds won't be in any position to launch a major attack at you. Since you are "going for it",then go for it! Good job so far,a pbem friend of mine that I play WiTpAE with said after 41' that you'd be beaten by 43'..........how wrong he was!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 493
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 12:45:11 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Basically T you are on your last "major" drive and if you pull it off well who knows what the future holds. But to pull it off you need infantry in the south and they must come from somewhere. If and it is an "if' you pull another major encirclement off the reds won't be in any position to launch a major attack at you. Since you are "going for it",then go for it! Good job so far,a pbem friend of mine that I play WiTpAE with said after 41' that you'd be beaten by 43'..........how wrong he was!

Nah, never expected (even after -41) to lose by -43. Mid -44 sure, but -43, nah

Terje

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 494
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 12:51:13 AM   
terje439

Turn 93

Overall
Brad launches attacks on the Bulge, and I have started to rail units from the north. Due to USSR attacks, our losses are higher this turn, but we are close to closing the pocket now. Clear weather in the south next turn please please please!
7 USSR attacks resulted in 1 held and 6 retreats, while our 41 attacks resulted in 4 helds, 31 retreats and 6 routs.
My main issue now is the small size of my Auntie Ju units. I am not able to airlift alot of fuel anymore...

USSR units in pockets at start of turn

USSR units in pockets at end of turn
3 but they will likely retake a port next USSR phase. No biggie, only two tank brigades and a rifle division.

Losses
USSR : 105.000 troops, 1.479 guns, 396 AFVs, 507 AC.
Axis : 41.000 troops, 443 guns, 92 AFVs, 117 AC.

USSR units lost
None.

German units disbanded
2 FBD units.

Partisans hunted down

German pools
Manpower : 30.928
Vehicles : 178.640
Armaments : 121.094
Hiwi : 9.203
What a strange feeling to have such pools at this date

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 495
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 8:10:17 AM   
randallw

I do not like the idea of those fort units way in the rear, soaking up men and equipment.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 496
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 10:18:45 AM   
juret

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

I do not like the idea of those fort units way in the rear, soaking up men and equipment.

ye mayby little early for that ? 32 forts is 50000 soldiers and alot of mashineguns that could be used for inf divs refits.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 497
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 11:23:22 AM   
janh

Fantastic job, Terje!

The others are right about 18th Army. You could do a "Lee" now and play a gambit, stripping AGN and AGC of as much forces are necessary to not risk a full collapse, and keep pushing in the south were he's run out of forts now...

It is March 1943, and you are still on a full swing offensive! Isn't that amazing? Especially after that 41 year?

< Message edited by janh -- 1/5/2013 11:25:45 AM >

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 498
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 11:24:16 AM   
Wuffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

quote:

ye mayby little early for that ? 32 forts is 50000 soldiers and alot of mashineguns that could be used for inf divs refits.

I thought the same... :-) but they will be at 50%, I hope.

You like decisive battles, Terje?
All hangs now on just two little ports, maybe there is an opportunity for the last rest of the Luftwaffe

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 499
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 11:26:18 AM   
Wuffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

Fantastic job, Terje!

The others are right about 18th Army. You could do a "Lee" now and play a gambit, stripping AGN and AGC of as much forces are necessary to not risk a full collapse, and keep pushing in the south were he's run out of forts now...

Yeah, your best infantry (double figured cv!*) is not committed; instead of just stripping them down you might switch them?

--
* edit: 16th Army

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 500
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 11:49:09 AM   
ErsteKavallerieDivision

Concerning the many Tigers and StuGs in your pool: An update to 1.06.2x might help bringing all these vehicles to the front.

"Widely terra incognita", Henning von Tresckow on German army's knowledge about Russian reserves (June 21, 1941; at that time chief operations officer of AGC.)

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 501
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 12:12:43 PM   
ErsteKavallerieDivision

If you want to avoid any risk in the north, you could form a second line of defence by regiments in reserve mode as follows:

This would reduce the number of division from 24 (in 16th/18th Army) to 16 (13 divisions and 9 regiments).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 502
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 2:54:05 PM   
terje439

I am sending units from the North to the South, but I really would like to build a second line of forts up there though. Oh well.
All forts are 50% Max TOE, yes. They are there to prevent fort decay in case we do not manage to send those Russkies packing and end up defending after all. At this stage, as I see it, there are three outcomes still;
1. Axis victory (doubt it, but we will go for it)
2. Draw (most likely imo)
3. USSR victory (the longer I am able to gobble up USSR units, the less likely it becomes though).

However not having fortlines available, makes #3 more likely than #2 if we do not manage #1, hence the forts. As I look at things now, the frontline N of Pskov should ofc also be reduced somewhat (9/45 inf, 10/52 inf and one of those 7/** inf freed up).
Not sure if virtual Adolf would agree to such a step back though

Terje

Post #: 503
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 2:55:46 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: ErsteKavallerieDiv

Concerning the many Tigers and StuGs in your pool: An update to 1.06.2x might help bringing all these vehicles to the front.

There are ALWAYS alot of Tigers in my pools ^^
There simply are not enough units using them to cause a significant wear and tear on them it seems.
I hope that with 2.0 we are given some more power over what sorts of tanks go where (I WANT a Tiger Division, is that too much to ask?! ).

Terje

Post #: 504
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 2:57:00 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

Fantastic job, Terje!

It is March 1943, and you are still on a full swing offensive! Isn't that amazing? Especially after that 41 year?

Yeah 'cause Gen. Lee ended up doing so well in the end did he not?
But yeah, units are being redirected.

What was wrong with my -41?!

Terje

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/5/2013 2:59:42 PM >

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 505
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/5/2013 2:58:43 PM   
terje439

quote:

The only forts I am unsure about tbh is the Rumanian ones, they are low on manpower and could use the manpower in their units, but on the other hand, I am not sure which is worth more, a lvl 2 (too far away for a lvl 3) fortline on the Rum border, or slightly stronger Rumanian units which can be routed at ease anyway.

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 506
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/6/2013 6:33:54 AM   
Tophat1815

Next turn if he attacks get us a screenshot of where he is attacking please. If you net all those units down south the Reds can kiss goodbye any meaningful 43' offensive before the fall. sure he can build corps now but he is loosing so many units,brigades and divisions that his number of units to plug holes is shrinking.

Can we also get a look at the morale of your infantry divisions?

Seems you have routed many of his units and that drops those units morale significantly. I have had poor luck smacking high morale German infantry with low morale soviet corps,but hey the dice may roll his way...but i doubt it.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 507
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/6/2013 9:47:18 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Next turn if he attacks get us a screenshot of where he is attacking please. If you net all those units down south the Reds can kiss goodbye any meaningful 43' offensive before the fall. sure he can build corps now but he is loosing so many units,brigades and divisions that his number of units to plug holes is shrinking.

Can we also get a look at the morale of your infantry divisions?

Seems you have routed many of his units and that drops those units morale significantly. I have had poor luck smacking high morale German infantry with low morale soviet corps,but hey the dice may roll his way...but i doubt it.

See below for attacks and the Inf Divs with LOWEST morale.

Terje

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 508
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/6/2013 9:51:45 AM   
terje439

Turn 94 aka AAAAAAAAAAARGH! aka You have got to be kidding

Disclaimer
Picture taken before I made any moves at all.

Overall
MUD... In the end we are two hexes away from sealing the pocket...
6 USSR attacks resulted in 4 helds and 2 retreats, while our 5 attacks gave us 1 held (trying to reduce the ammount of hexes needed to seal the pocket by 1), 1 retreat and 3 surrenders.

USSR units in pockets at start of turn

USSR units in pockets at end of turn

Losses
USSR : 86.000 troops, 828 guns, 319 AFVs, 387 AC.
Axis : 28.000 troops, 165 guns, 61 AFVs, 80 AC.

USSR units lost
1 rifle division, 2 tank brigades.

German units disbanded
None.

Partisans hunted down

German pools
Manpower : 28.158
Vehicles : 177.646
Armaments : 139.563
Hiwi : 7

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/6/2013 9:52:21 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 509
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 1/6/2013 3:44:18 PM   
Wuffer

C'on, nevertheless still an important strategic victory, congratulations.

To be honest, while I did not understand parts of your grand strategy, I#m the first to admit that I have never achieve anything like this after a weak first summer, so I guess it's better to stay quiet and just watch... and learn. :-))

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI