Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hw is this game and what is it like?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Hw is this game and what is it like? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/7/2013 11:10:41 PM   
Antmf_slith

Hey all, Bought and been playing distant worlds and really liked and now I am looking for a good military game and was wondering how this game is and what kind of game it is? It it a turn based or RTS war game? Is it hard to learn and is it realistic? Please let me know. Thanks...
Post #: 1
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/8/2013 4:56:53 AM   
kirk23

Hi Antmf,I was like you and sat on the fence so to speak,but after a few conversations on the forum here,I decided to buy,and I glad I did the game is very easy to play,but hard to master at the same time,the AI will give you a very hard game,in most cases it will kick your butt if you take your eye of the ball.

There is no editor,but there is a huge amount of stuff you can edit,by tweeking the Lua files,adding units is a lot more difficult,but once you have done it a couple of times it gets alot easier.Oh and its only going to get better,as there are updates + upgrades being worked on in the background,if you like land warfare its great,the naval side is not as good at present,but that is changing daily for the better,so on a score out off 10,I would give the game an 8 overall.

Make it so!

(in reply to Antmf_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/8/2013 9:08:27 AM   
Ralzakark

It's turn based and like traditional board wargames the map is hexes. The rules are quite simple, but as kirk23 says mastering the game is hard.

The ground war has a realistic feel to it, as do the (quite simple) rules on production and national morale. The naval war, in all its aspects, is unrealistic, but thankfully does not get in the way of the rest of the game.

Play is interesting with action ranging from a crowded western front to Turkey fighting Russia in the Caucasus and the British in Egypt.

I am enjoying playing it immensely.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 3
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/8/2013 11:51:26 AM   
FOARP

If you want a challenging-to-master but fairly easy to get into game that focuses on a neglected but important piece of history this is it. The lack of more complex diplomatic options (you can declare war on neutral countries but not influence them onto your side) and the fairly simplistic naval warfare model are the only downsides. Basically, if you loved Panzer General or Hearts of Iron, this game is for you.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 4
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/8/2013 1:00:59 PM   
catwhoorg

Definitely easy to get into, with the interface being easy to use and understand.

Fascinating game to play, very "one more turn"-ish.

Just when you think you are going to be overwhelmed, the tide can turn, and victory is yours.

The always on fog of war, and the lack of ability to understand just how bad your opponents economy/morale is contribute to this.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 5
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/11/2013 12:52:03 AM   
swetiger

Great game!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war (Vegetius)

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 6
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/14/2013 12:44:45 AM   
Qwixt

Well I bought it today, and uploaded my first youtube video ever.

http://youtu.be/LF8-iclT6Z4

Keep in mind that I really do not know what's going on. It's about the first time I played the game.

(in reply to swetiger)
Post #: 7
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/14/2013 10:14:48 AM   
Robak

This game is really great. Don't think - just buy:)

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 8
RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? - 1/14/2013 6:17:44 PM   
JiminyJickers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

Well I bought it today, and uploaded my first youtube video ever.

http://youtu.be/LF8-iclT6Z4

Keep in mind that I really do not know what's going on. It's about the first time I played the game.

Thanks for uploading a video, I was waiting to see what it plays like. Might have to take the plundge soon.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Hw is this game and what is it like? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI