Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Balkin Crisis Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Balkin Crisis Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Balkin Crisis Campaign - 12/25/2002 12:13:15 AM   
LehrDivision

I was wondering if anybody won this without reloading ? lol this is really a hard but VERY VERY FUN campaign, and thank god its not 30 turns per scenario :p

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows." Guderian, 1937
Post #: 1
- 12/25/2002 1:38:01 AM   
Jim1954

Not yet, but working on it. Did you eqiup w/SS or Wehrmacht?

(in reply to LehrDivision)
Post #: 2
Re - 12/25/2002 2:20:01 AM   
LehrDivision

SS? are u crazy? u only get enough money to get 1 platoon of SS and a few support unit if u do it that way...

Here is my OOB when i started it

2 - scout team
3 - infantry platoon
1 - Pz IIIN section
1 - STUGIII section
2 - sniper
1 - headquarter

killed in action are probley half of scout team, all snipers, and my tanks are battered and i can't repair it cause so far i got not repair points or what so ever...

and what do you know? now i'm gonna have to defend an russian counterattack with this battered force.

Post #: 3
- 12/25/2002 2:32:27 AM   
Jim1954

Somewhere buried either in the forums or maybe it was an attachment from the designer, I read that playtesting was most successful with a predominately infantry core. Like you I couldn't fit anything but inf in if I went SS so I wound up with 3 Wehrmacht inf plts, a couple of 81mm mortars, some scouts and 2 105mm Stugs. We'll see how it goes. I don't think you ever get many repair points so I better keep my armor protected. I figure late war SS units in minor front situations might be better represented by std inf , anyway I just couldn't stand not to have ANY armor. lol

Post #: 4
Re - 12/25/2002 4:48:24 AM   
LehrDivision

same here no amour to me not fun :/

heh i got 2 selection because i find that they are great for those snipers and infantry unit in those buildings that you have to fight to get those freaking partisian out. But i guard my amour closely =)

Post #: 5
Re: Re - 12/25/2002 11:32:28 PM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LehrDivision
[B]SS? are u crazy? u only get enough money to get 1 platoon of SS and a few support unit if u do it that way...

2 - scout team
3 - infantry platoon
1 - Pz IIIN section
1 - STUGIII section
2 - sniper
1 - headquarter

killed in action are probley half of scout team, all snipers, and my tanks are battered and i can't repair it cause so far i got not repair points or what so ever...

and what do you know? now i'm gonna have to defend an russian counterattack with this battered force. [/B][/QUOTE]

When I played this back with v5.2 (costs were different then) I used:
2 spec op platoons
1 cavalry company
1 sniper
1 kubelwagen mg

All realism settings on except for reduced squads, default settings elseware.

This was back when they experimented with adding armor to the front of soft vehicles representing the engine, so the kubelwagen was my armored support, it could fight enemy mg nests and such protected by its 4 front armor, though it did lose its mg to a gun destroyed result.

The mobility of the cav makes up for not having as many vehicles, the ability of infantry types to move up into an ambush and survive where a vehicle would be destroyed makes them better than vehicles when fighting hidden troops.

The spec ops were my counter partisan troops, they infitrate near the rear objective hexes and I then don't have to fight all the way across the map.

I just tested under 7.1 and was able to buy all my previous core and still have 95 points left to buy something else, so costs have gone down somewhat somewhere.
thanks, John.

Post #: 6
Re: Re - 12/28/2002 5:40:13 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LehrDivision
[B]SS? are u crazy? u only get enough money to get 1 platoon of SS and a few support unit if u do it that way...

2 - scout team
3 - infantry platoon
1 - Pz IIIN section
1 - STUGIII section
2 - sniper
1 - headquarter

and what do you know? now i'm gonna have to defend an russian counterattack with this battered force. [/B][/QUOTE]

I just ran thru it again with 7.1 and it was even harder this time around. All those mgs really are a pain. But in your case you have what for me was the hardest battle coming up. Airstrikes, plentiful Soviet Arty and pleny of Soviet armor. I got really chewed up by this one, but since I didn't have any units totally destroyed, I was able to rebuild them.

What you might not realize is that you can top off infantry units with the repair all button for free as long as they have at least one man left. Any infantry unit down to 4 or less men is out of combat for me in this one. You absolutely must not have units destroyed. Later you do get some armor support with aux units, so it is not a totally infantry battle.
thanks, John.

Post #: 7
- 12/31/2002 6:56:43 AM   
Kraut

Where can I download this campaign?

Post #: 8
- 12/31/2002 7:26:20 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kraut
[B]Where can I download this campaign? [/B][/QUOTE]

It was done by kurtbj, if he is still active perhaps he will chime in. If not I still have it like I got from him back in August and it is only 197K which will fit in most email mailboxes.
thanks, John.

Post #: 9
- 1/1/2003 12:43:09 AM   
Jim1954

Kraut, I have the zip file with me but I have been unable to attach it successfully. Send me a PM with an email address and I will send it on over.

:)

Post #: 10
- 1/1/2003 12:56:48 AM   
Jim1954

Trying again.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
- 1/1/2003 1:15:46 AM   
Kraut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim1954
[B]Trying again. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Post #: 12
- 1/1/2003 1:28:16 AM   
Jim1954

You are most welcome.

:D :D :D

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Balkin Crisis Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI