Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 12:36:30 AM   
juret

i followed these 2 players in their others aars

pretty sure they will keep on playing

its good for the forum to see a german player win or at least have the upper hand in late 44-45

(in reply to rbrockman2)
Post #: 721
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 1:51:47 AM   
Flaviusx

Ok, I suppose the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Really, this is nothing but an exercise in logistics now. It's neither interesting nor sporting. Honor my ass.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 722
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 2:01:20 AM   
governato

Terje, if you and Brad keep having fun who cares what the pundits say, by all means keep playing. This is one of the few games that is actually fun to watch.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 723
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:12:20 AM   
juret

quote:

ORIGINAL: governato

Terje, if you and Brad keep having fun who cares what the pundits say, by all means keep playing. This is one of the few games that is actually fun to watch.

agree.

i enjoy this aar alot, also i like the terje way to present the game in the thread.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 724
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:30:29 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

This has been over for a while. Your opponent is a masochist. There's nothing sporting about this, it's just a train wreck. It's about as lopsided as bambi vs. Godzilla.

He ought to do the sensible thing and surrender.

Sorry Flaviusx
The other games it has been reversed, and now Brad seems to be granting me the "fun" he has had, I appreciate it.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 725
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:31:09 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

The honourable thing is to fight on as he has, and too few players do.
No point in playing a GC if you baleout as soon as you don't think you can win. Terje has deserved his triumph and all credit to Brian's sportsmanhip: though not his generalship.

Thank you, and I agree. Not sure what Brad feels about being called Brian though

Terje

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 726
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:37:11 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbrockman2

Q1: It looks like any Red Team units between Moscow and Stalingrad that don't run away right now are going to get encircled in groups of 5 or 10 and then toasted. Can they even run away fast enough? Doesn't look like most of the Red Team units have wheels.

Q2: How fast can the big, mean, black-label units cruise up the rail lines north of Moscow? Is this a practical way to isolate Leningrad and the Red Team forces north of Moscow before mud?

Q3: Does Red Team know about the shortage of Axis railroad repair units? This shortage limits the number of Axis lines of advance to two, right? Is there a way to get the disbanded repair units back? If Virtual Stalin knows where the two railroad repair units are, maybe he can concentrate his remaining forces there to stall the advance long enough to recover somewhat an avoid a decisive defeat.

Q4: Where did Red Team go wrong strategically? The monster 250 unit encirclement was clearly not great, but it seems to me that for the most part Red Team suffered a large number of little operational defeats (handfuls of units encircled) which added up to the ultimate collapse we see here. Was Red Team too attached to territory to run away in time? How does Red Team avoid these problems?

Q1 : I think he can make something happening here, and besides I simply cannot push too hard eastwards atm as my southern flank is held by Hungarians...facing USSR rifle corps...Need to get more troops down there before I can push on hard.

Q2 : I am not sure. What has to be counted as a pro for this idea is the lack of USSR units, the con part is the terrain up north.

Q3 : Yes, he knows I am down to 2. And no, those guys are gone. But I doubt that will be what breaks me at this point tbh. Remember I still have scores of "minor" construction units repairing rails as well.

Q4 : After the big encirclement I think Brad should have waited to create corps formations, and instead use those points on more divisions. That way I think he could have defended more effectively in depth and have slowed me down. But Brad will have to give the details here when he reads this eventually.
Another fault I think, was to follow as far as he did in the first blizzard. When the blizzard was gone, his units were once more weak, and this time they were in the open.
I would also point to the fact that during this game, I somehow got a better grasp of making pockets than I had before, and I think that might have caught Brad off guard this time.

Terje

(in reply to rbrockman2)
Post #: 727
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:37:58 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

i followed these 2 players in their others aars

pretty sure they will keep on playing

its good for the forum to see a german player win or at least have the upper hand in late 44-45

I hope Brad does not surrender, but if he does, I will accept it.
I would ofc not have surrendered though

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 728
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:39:25 AM   
terje439

quote:

Really, this is nothing but an exercise in logistics now. It's neither interesting nor sporting. Honor my ass.

I have taken a beating in the first games we have played eachother, yet hung in there, and it actually has made me a better player imo. There are still things to learn even when the game is failing if you ask me.

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 729
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:40:14 AM   
terje439

quote:

Thank you
Glad someone likes the AAR, if not making it would be kind of wasted I suppose

Terje

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 730
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 9:42:00 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

quote:

agree.

i enjoy this aar alot, also i like the terje way to present the game in the thread.

Thank you. When I started making it this way, I looked for a way to put info into the AAR, not only for the readers, but also for myself to keep track of things, and if they read it, for the developers to see what happens as the game progresses in one way or another.
My game is not at all among the best, and I think that not only the top 10% of players should be listened to

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 731
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 10:36:53 AM   
terje439

Turn 128

Overall
We eliminate most of the Moscow pocket and take one of the city hexes this turn. Apart from that we do not do much apart from pushing back weak USSR units wherever we can. I need to free the "light green" panzers around Moscow and send them south so I can push stronger down there. The USSR partisans were really annoying this turn, preventing any tracks to be repaired around Moscow.
85 attacks gave a result of 10 helds, 1 scouted, 61 retreats, 2 routs and 12 surrenders.

USSR units in pockets at start of turn

USSR units in pockets at end of turn

Losses
USSR : 438.000 troops, 7.699 guns, 269 AFVs, 403 AC.
Axis : 46.000 troops, 508 guns, 150 AFVs, 46 AC.

USSR units lost
1 Tank Corps, 8 Rifle Corps, 20 Rifle Divisions, 1 Mountain Division, 1 tank brigade, 1 Rifle Brigade, 1 PVO AA regiment.

German units disbanded
None.

Partisans hunted down
8, leaving 9(!!!) on the map.

German pools
Manpower : 262.370
Vehicles : 218.161
Armaments : 660.569
Hiwi : 192.969

Victory Points

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 732
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 2:12:42 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

Where does this nonsense come from? The vast majority of AAR's have the Germans beaten back or routed. To his credit terje has hung in through 2 games where he was beaten. I really appreciate his willingness to see games through to conclusion and I am glad brad sees it the same way.

Seems funny that just after blizzard 41' the conventional wisdom had terje fighting in Berlin in 45' if he was lucky! Oh how the worm has turned indeed. This AAR gives inspiration to German players to stick it out and shows that the Germans can attack in late 43'. I am very curious to see what te change and lowering of morale brings in 44'......I doubt terje will have the victory points before years end......will he over extend? Will Brad be able to launch a winter offensive of his own and breakthrough weak axis allies? How costly will the Moscow fighting be for terje?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 733
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 4:32:00 PM   
gingerbread

True, German National Morale will go down and Soviet will reach it's max (60). Bur then there is this:

Rule Change (section 21.1.10.1) - The Soviet Manpower Multipliers in 1943, 44 and 45
are reduced by 5 (so they are now 35, 30 and 15 respectively).

I think that Brad had quite a high number of men in the pool when Terje's '42 offensive started, but they should be gone by now, if not earlier. So in '44 it's down to the 70k-75k per turn produced & recovered disabled, and that is not enough by any way of counting.

Also, the AP squeeze will not lessen.

BTW, I think Brad is a good sport continuing, though I would in Terje's position offer him to resign after all three Moscow hexes have fallen - a suitable crowning achievement!

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 734
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 10:01:19 PM   
STEF78

You are really a long term fighter that should not be underestimated.

I've read your first AAR until the fall of Berlin, it was a desesparate situation but you kept fighting. Congratulations.

Moscow taken, you will be close to victory. Is it a 260 or 290 VP game? And what will be your target to win this game?

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 735
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/19/2013 11:18:46 PM   
AFV

quote:

This is the reason so many of us pushed for the alt victory conditions being in the range of attainable- and I truly wondered why some actually opposed it. *cough* Flavius-Aurelian-LiquidSky
If Terje can gather the required victory points, then it will end. Until then, it goes on, as it should.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 736
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 8:37:01 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Seems funny that just after blizzard 41' the conventional wisdom had terje fighting in Berlin in 45' if he was lucky! Oh how the worm has turned indeed. This AAR gives inspiration to German players to stick it out and shows that the Germans can attack in late 43'. I am very curious to see what te change and lowering of morale brings in 44'......I doubt terje will have the victory points before years end......will he over extend? Will Brad be able to launch a winter offensive of his own and breakthrough weak axis allies? How costly will the Moscow fighting be for terje?

Thank you. Actually, I think some would have claimed I should just have called it a loss at that stage as well.
My main issue now is one of supply. I really should not have disbanded those 3 FBDs

Terje

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 737
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 8:38:16 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

True, German National Morale will go down and Soviet will reach it's max (60). Bur then there is this:

Rule Change (section 21.1.10.1) - The Soviet Manpower Multipliers in 1943, 44 and 45
are reduced by 5 (so they are now 35, 30 and 15 respectively).

I think that Brad had quite a high number of men in the pool when Terje's '42 offensive started, but they should be gone by now, if not earlier. So in '44 it's down to the 70k-75k per turn produced & recovered disabled, and that is not enough by any way of counting.

Also, the AP squeeze will not lessen.

BTW, I think Brad is a good sport continuing, though I would in Terje's position offer him to resign after all three Moscow hexes have fallen - a suitable crowning achievement!

Not sure how Brad's pools are looking, and tbh the real issue for him should be AP by now, as you mentioned.

Terje

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 738
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 8:40:19 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: STEF78

You are really a long term fighter that should not be underestimated.

I've read your first AAR until the fall of Berlin, it was a desesparate situation but you kept fighting. Congratulations.

Moscow taken, you will be close to victory. Is it a 260 or 290 VP game? And what will be your target to win this game?

Thank you.
260 VP.
I need to get supply flowing again, then I will try to take the cities just north of Moscow, then head east for the cities there (they are mostly 3 VP cities, not 1 VP, so they are worth the drive). In the south I will have to go for Stalingrad. That should be enough for a victory.
That is IF I get the supply sorted sometime soon.

Terje

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 739
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 8:42:33 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

This is the reason so many of us pushed for the alt victory conditions being in the range of attainable- and I truly wondered why some actually opposed it. *cough* Flavius-Aurelian-LiquidSky
If Terje can gather the required victory points, then it will end. Until then, it goes on, as it should.

I also think there is another aspect that is easily forgotten in these games. To me, a pbem is not just a game that is to be won or lost. It is an agreement between two persons to fight it out. Where is the honour and fun in quitting just because things are not going well enough? I have had some opponents like that, and those I will never play again.

And ofc, by that standard, I should have surrendered this game at the end of -41

Terje

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 740
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 8:48:07 AM   
terje439

Turn 129

Overall
I REALLY need to do something about the supply situation now. Due to poor supply, I am almost at a standstill this turn. I eliminate a few pockets, and launch the first assault on Moscow (capitol hex), reducing the fort from 4 to 3, but not taking it.
As stated, supply is holding me back, and a mere 29 attacks were made this turn, causing 5 helds, 19 retreats, 3 routs and 2 surrenders.

USSR units in pockets at start of turn

USSR units in pockets at end of turn

Losses
USSR : 186.000 troops, 3.132 guns, 62 AFVs, 292 AC.
Axis : 39.000 troops, 254 guns, 102 AFVs, 50 AC.

USSR units lost
4 Rifle Corps, 2 Rifle Divisions, 1 Sapper regiment.

German units disbanded
None.

Partisans hunted down
11, leaving 5 on the map.
These guys are now a REAL pain.

German pools
Manpower : 274.213
Vehicles : 207.048
Armaments : 670.511
Hiwi : 215.984
Ok Mister Speer. Never thought I would say this, but less rifles, more trucks please!

Victory Points

Screenshot
Some things just makes for a nice/warm/fuzzy feeling

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 741
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 6:42:16 PM   
randallw

All the Soviet OOB numbers are quite poor except for the Red Air Force, and aren't getting better. I just don't see a time period long enough for units to be rebuilt and trained up to even stabilize the line, let alone pushing the battle line towards the west. The frontline Soviet strength looks like what the Germans kept expecting to see in 1941.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 742
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 8:02:46 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

quote:

I haven't changed my mind on the alt victory conditions. I can imagine circumstances where a Soviet comeback is still possible even at the 260 level, or at any rate the possibility of snatching a draw.

But not in this game. The Red Army is simply broken beyond repair. Has been for some time. Circumstances are such that drawing it out seems utterly pointless to me.

Raw VP calculations do not take into account conditions on the ground.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 743
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 11:02:19 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

Honor my ass.

With the greatest respect, I will not

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/20/2013 11:03:20 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 744
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/20/2013 11:16:08 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

I also think there is another aspect that is easily forgotten in these games. To me, a pbem is not just a game that is to be won or lost. It is an agreement between two persons to fight it out. Where is the honour and fun in quitting just because things are not going well enough? I have had some opponents like that, and those I will never play again.

And ofc, by that standard, I should have surrendered this game at the end of -41

Terje

Quite right

I had not realised honour was just a European thing these days. I hope Mexico does not attack the Alamo again. Today's Texicans would probably surrender after the first couple of hours because they couldn't win and their supplies were nerfed.

Yes, I am playing a yank (Smokindave) who looks like playing on to the bitter end but who said love,war or forums had to be fair? He is the first from many games to show signs of doing so.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 745
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/21/2013 5:33:09 AM   
Fishbed

The guys wanna fight to the bitter end, they fight to the bitter end - better leave them alone, jeez! We're either on a free forum, or in a free country, & as long as he doesn't need my real money to hire new virtual Soviet troops, I don't see why I should care about him minding his own business!

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 746
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/21/2013 8:19:37 AM   
Karri

His only troops worth anything are probably in leningrad...you've destroyed everything else.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 747
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/21/2013 8:59:39 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Terje

Indeed quite right. By blizzard I wouldn't have bet a cent on your Wehrmacht anymore. But you taught everyone here a very good lesson I'd conclude. This game offers much more possibilities, and a few good dice rolls at he right time, or an unlucky combination of mistakes or oversights on your opponents part, can still change the whole picture.

Your's is a good habit not to throw the towel too early. Same for your opponent, respects to hold on. If I'd imagine this habit had developed with the WitP community, this would have lead too many more games stopped after about 1 year, by early 43, since there the Allied superiority is much much more felt there after that. But even the demise can hold a few interesting moments, and defending can be as exciting as attacking.

< Message edited by janh -- 2/21/2013 9:01:15 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 748
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/21/2013 3:09:40 PM   
AFV

quote:

I haven't changed my mind on the alt victory conditions. I can imagine circumstances where a Soviet comeback is still possible even at the 260 level, or at any rate the possibility of snatching a draw.

But not in this game. The Red Army is simply broken beyond repair. Has been for some time. Circumstances are such that drawing it out seems utterly pointless to me.

Raw VP calculations do not take into account conditions on the ground.

We can agree to disagree on the scenario. However...

I'm sure you can imagine circumstances where a Soviet comeback was possible at the 260 level- hell, you can imagine circumstances where its possible at the 292 level- but in either of those instances, the Soviet does not deserve a comeback attempt. They simply gave up to much land, and to many cities.

For people who do like to play to the end, the 260 level offers a honorable way to truncate a game gone lopsided. I guess it burns you up that this version is so popular, lol?

Also, the German should play to the end when the Soviet is bearing down on Berlin, right? When the German army is broken beyond repair, and has been for some time? The logical extension of your argument is that they should not.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 749
RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Olor... - 2/21/2013 3:44:32 PM   
Flaviusx

The difference is this: a German can still contrive to pull out a draw if he can hold out Berlin past the expiration date.

There is nothing like that to look forward to here for the Soviet. It is over. Really. Either the game ends in the summer of 1944 as the German nears the map edge, or, worst case, he wins a minor with the Wehrmacht still deep in the Soviet Union come 1945. This Red Army is played out. Either way, it won't recover. Stick a fork in it, it's done. Unless you want to play for "honor" whatever that means.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: What?! Seriously?! You are back for more??? No Oloren!! Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI