Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lord Biritish is back.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Lord Biritish is back. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lord Biritish is back. - 3/11/2013 8:22:43 PM   
Josh

With a new RPG "Shroud of the Avatar" on Kickstarter

He's turned a bit grey I see... so have I probably

Ultima series, anyone remember those?

Post #: 1
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/11/2013 8:43:48 PM   
wodin

Hmmm...Multiplayer online..puts me right off instantly.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 2
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/11/2013 9:36:58 PM   
PunkReaper

By a man rich enough to put up his own money?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/11/2013 10:19:34 PM   
sullafelix

$25 for a MMO that will probably end up free like all the others, no thanks.

On the other hand if he did a real Ultima game again I would fork over the cash asap.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/11/2013 10:56:44 PM   
Lützow

I don't trust Garriot after Tabulasa Rasa anymore, but his new project is nevertheless interesting enough to keep an eye on it.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 3/11/2013 10:57:01 PM >

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 5
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 12:09:16 AM   
sullafelix

Can you say " Daikatana "?

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 6
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 1:01:04 AM   
Otto von Blotto

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Hmmm...Multiplayer online..puts me right off instantly.

You should have read down the page further.

Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 1:08:28 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

By a man rich enough to put up his own money?

I've heard he spent most of his money on the space trip.

Anyway, he doesn't exist to me since Ultima IX.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 8
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 2:48:40 AM   
Rtwfreak

To have another version of Ultima II and IV would be to die for. I think I lost a year of my life playing those two versions. Everything today is so streamlined it hardly feels like you're even playing games anymore. It feels more like the AI is playing the games. Like Baldur's Gate series real time AI plays the battles. Yeah Yeah Yeah I know you can "pause" the damn game but I'd rather it just be turn based to begin with like the good old Ultima Series and Gold Box series of the 80's. I remember having huge notebooks full of data an information I jotted down while playing them. Clues were important to write down for later use just like a real adventure. The battles and the battle music was uplifting and enjoyable. Today's computer rpgs have nothing on yesteryear computer rpgs.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 9
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 4:24:32 AM   
artuitus_slith

Loved Ultima up to and including VII. UO was ok, not great. I would buy another game like VII before I'd buy a 'new and improved' game..

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 10
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 6:31:35 AM   
rodney727

Ultima IV for sure. It was deep and rich. I pent the whole summer in 1994 trying to master it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

To have another version of Ultima II and IV would be to die for. I think I lost a year of my life playing those two versions. Everything today is so streamlined it hardly feels like you're even playing games anymore. It feels more like the AI is playing the games. Like Baldur's Gate series real time AI plays the battles. Yeah Yeah Yeah I know you can "pause" the damn game but I'd rather it just be turn based to begin with like the good old Ultima Series and Gold Box series of the 80's. I remember having huge notebooks full of data an information I jotted down while playing them. Clues were important to write down for later use just like a real adventure. The battles and the battle music was uplifting and enjoyable. Today's computer rpgs have nothing on yesteryear computer rpgs.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 11
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 2:38:08 PM   
Josh

quote:

Well there's a new "HD" version of Baldur's Gate on Steam, 18$ or so, and for an "old school feeling" of RPG (so called cRPG, coreRPG) you could try Basilisk Games; http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i

Old school isometric topdown turnbased fun

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 12
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 7:33:54 PM   
Perturabo

Here's a review in the prestigious gaming magazine:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=170

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 13
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/12/2013 9:54:01 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Anyway, he doesn't exist to me since Ultima IX.

Lol, I still remember the release. Got a Pentium II 400 Mhz which wasn't too shabby at that time, but it was nearly impossible to play Ultima IX.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 14
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/13/2013 12:29:05 AM   
VPaulus

You have also Jeff Vogel's games. They are old school as well... well they were at least. I haven't played the more recent ones like Avadon.
Geneforge 5 was quite enjoyable.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 15
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/13/2013 4:10:57 PM   
Perturabo

Exile 1 and 2 are quite nice too.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 16
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/16/2013 9:33:03 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

Well there's a new "HD" version of Baldur's Gate on Steam, 18$ or so, and for an "old school feeling" of RPG (so called cRPG, coreRPG) you could try Basilisk Games; http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i

Old school isometric topdown turnbased fun

The thing about those games is they have no real immersion factor like the Ultima series. They are just hack n slashers on top of some ill described same ole same ole story where you are a farmboy and monsters kill your dad and mom and you take off on this stupidly wild adventure that turns you into the hero that always saves the day, much like the Diablo series and just about all rpgs afterwards (Hack n slash and kill floozie). The Ultima series you weren't really trying to save anyone but yourself. But you gained a knowledge of life and how you should live it along the way. It just felt so real. And the way you created your character in the world was 2nd to none. I noticed Bathesdah stole that method a lil bit when they made Daggerfall.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 17
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 3/17/2013 1:55:19 AM   
Jevhaddah

All the Ultima games are available at GOG, I got them and the Wing Commander series in a bundle deal

Just a we heads up for those that are interested.

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 18
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 6/11/2013 12:26:15 AM   
Gilmer

Looks like hit well past the mark needed to kickstart.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 19
RE: Lord Biritish is back. - 6/17/2013 10:52:07 AM   
VIKINGS

Will keep an eye on it, but mmorpgs have to do A LOT to impress me these days. Ever since I've played Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World I've become very picky with my mmorpgs.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Lord Biritish is back. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI