Lord Biritish is back. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Josh -> Lord Biritish is back. (3/11/2013 8:22:43 PM)

With a new RPG "Shroud of the Avatar" on Kickstarter

He's turned a bit grey I see... so have I probably [:D]

Ultima series, anyone remember those?

wodin -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/11/2013 8:43:48 PM)

Hmmm...Multiplayer online..puts me right off instantly.

PunkReaper -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/11/2013 9:36:58 PM)

By a man rich enough to put up his own money?

sullafelix -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/11/2013 10:19:34 PM)

$25 for a MMO that will probably end up free like all the others, no thanks.

On the other hand if he did a real Ultima game again I would fork over the cash asap.

Lützow -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/11/2013 10:56:44 PM)

I don't trust Garriot after Tabulasa Rasa anymore, but his new project is nevertheless interesting enough to keep an eye on it.

sullafelix -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 12:09:16 AM)

Can you say " Daikatana "?

Otto von Blotto -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 1:01:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Hmmm...Multiplayer online..puts me right off instantly.

You should have read down the page further.

Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

Perturabo -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 1:08:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

By a man rich enough to put up his own money?

I've heard he spent most of his money on the space trip.

Anyway, he doesn't exist to me since Ultima IX.

Rtwfreak -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 2:48:40 AM)

To have another version of Ultima II and IV would be to die for. I think I lost a year of my life playing those two versions. Everything today is so streamlined it hardly feels like you're even playing games anymore. It feels more like the AI is playing the games. Like Baldur's Gate series real time AI plays the battles. Yeah Yeah Yeah I know you can "pause" the damn game but I'd rather it just be turn based to begin with like the good old Ultima Series and Gold Box series of the 80's. I remember having huge notebooks full of data an information I jotted down while playing them. Clues were important to write down for later use just like a real adventure. The battles and the battle music was uplifting and enjoyable. Today's computer rpgs have nothing on yesteryear computer rpgs. [8|]

artuitus_slith -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 4:24:32 AM)

Loved Ultima up to and including VII. UO was ok, not great. I would buy another game like VII before I'd buy a 'new and improved' game..

rodney727 -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 6:31:35 AM)

Ultima IV for sure. It was deep and rich. I pent the whole summer in 1994 trying to master it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

To have another version of Ultima II and IV would be to die for. I think I lost a year of my life playing those two versions. Everything today is so streamlined it hardly feels like you're even playing games anymore. It feels more like the AI is playing the games. Like Baldur's Gate series real time AI plays the battles. Yeah Yeah Yeah I know you can "pause" the damn game but I'd rather it just be turn based to begin with like the good old Ultima Series and Gold Box series of the 80's. I remember having huge notebooks full of data an information I jotted down while playing them. Clues were important to write down for later use just like a real adventure. The battles and the battle music was uplifting and enjoyable. Today's computer rpgs have nothing on yesteryear computer rpgs. [8|]

Josh -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 2:38:08 PM)

quote:

Well there's a new "HD" version of Baldur's Gate on Steam, 18$ or so, and for an "old school feeling" of RPG (so called cRPG, coreRPG) you could try Basilisk Games; http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i

[img]http://basiliskgames.com/wp-content/gallery/book-3-alpha/book3_alpha3.png[/img]

Old school isometric topdown turnbased fun [:D]

Perturabo -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 7:33:54 PM)

Here's a review in the prestigious gaming magazine:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=170

Lützow -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/12/2013 9:54:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Anyway, he doesn't exist to me since Ultima IX.

Lol, I still remember the release. Got a Pentium II 400 Mhz which wasn't too shabby at that time, but it was nearly impossible to play Ultima IX.

VPaulus -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/13/2013 12:29:05 AM)

You have also Jeff Vogel's games. They are old school as well... well they were at least. I haven't played the more recent ones like Avadon.
Geneforge 5 was quite enjoyable.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/Shogo5000/Geneforge%205/Mera3_zps5d25720d.jpg[/image]

Perturabo -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/13/2013 4:10:57 PM)

Exile 1 and 2 are quite nice too.

Rtwfreak -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/16/2013 9:33:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

Well there's a new "HD" version of Baldur's Gate on Steam, 18$ or so, and for an "old school feeling" of RPG (so called cRPG, coreRPG) you could try Basilisk Games; http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i

[img]http://basiliskgames.com/wp-content/gallery/book-3-alpha/book3_alpha3.png[/img]

Old school isometric topdown turnbased fun [:D]

The thing about those games is they have no real immersion factor like the Ultima series. They are just hack n slashers on top of some ill described same ole same ole story where you are a farmboy and monsters kill your dad and mom and you take off on this stupidly wild adventure that turns you into the hero that always saves the day, much like the Diablo series and just about all rpgs afterwards (Hack n slash and kill floozie). The Ultima series you weren't really trying to save anyone but yourself. But you gained a knowledge of life and how you should live it along the way. It just felt so real. And the way you created your character in the world was 2nd to none. I noticed Bathesdah stole that method a lil bit when they made Daggerfall.

Jevhaddah -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (3/17/2013 1:55:19 AM)

All the Ultima games are available at GOG, I got them and the Wing Commander series in a bundle deal [:D]

Just a we heads up for those that are interested.

Cheers

Jev

Gilmer -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (6/11/2013 12:26:15 AM)

Looks like hit well past the mark needed to kickstart.

VIKINGS -> RE: Lord Biritish is back. (6/17/2013 10:52:07 AM)

Will keep an eye on it, but mmorpgs have to do A LOT to impress me these days. Ever since I've played Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World I've become very picky with my mmorpgs.[:'(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI