Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/20/2013 8:03:10 PM   
rpwood

AMEN!

I just got finished reading ALL the wish list posts and a recurring theme was Deputy bitching about something and Jason being supportive and helpful. Keep it up Jason! I hope Deputy will lighten up and quit clogging the forum with his tirades.

JTCS is a great game. Plenty of scenarios, essentially well-thought out mechanics. The best tactical IGOUGO game ever.

Considering the lack of manpower, perhaps 1.05 should focus on core functionality.

While many of the suggestions for changes would be cool, the top of my wish list is better graphics capability for larger monitors. I don't care about more detailed icons, terrain, etc. I just want to use the screen real estate more effectively. Is that a difficult issue to solve?

FYI, Matrix provided me a new installer so I could get the game to work on my WINXPSP3 laptop. Much to my surprise, that installer also worked for my WIN8 system! Recommend they replace the old installer.

Cheers

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 61
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/20/2013 8:49:18 PM   
Crossroads

Hear hear! That, and a separate supply base for arty would make day as well :)

(in reply to rpwood)
Post #: 62
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/20/2013 8:50:17 PM   
Crossroads

My day, that is :)

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 63
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/20/2013 10:37:04 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

Just so you know: The rest of the team and I ["the new programmer"] will continue working diligently on this. The Campaign Series is not dead! We will work as hard as we can, and as much as time permits, to give the CS a new lease on life.

A quick, short update:

Two weeks after

• first receiving the CS source code
  • making hundreds of edits/fixes to that source code
  • learning how to operate a new (to me) Integrated Development Environment (the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE)
  • importing the source code into the IDE, and organizing projects
  • struggling through dozens of attempted builds, all the way: editing/tweaking code, puzzling through many dozens of obscure compiler error messages, researching fixes in book & on-line references, downloading and applying hotfix updates to the IDE, ...

I have successfully built (compiled, linked, etc.) the first simple, test case game .exe, the Organization Editor. (Starting out small. Baby steps initially. After making automated fixes to the entire MCS codebase, I'll attempt building the remaining game .exe's in the next week or so.) The newly built edorg is stable, and appears to mimic operation of the earlier edorg fully and successfully.

You might think building the game .exe(s) to be no big deal. You would be wrong to think so. It is no easy thing, one programmer handing off a project of this size to another.

quote:

As the "new programmer," I'm easing into this. Well, maybe not "easing": bulling my way forward, actually. I received the source code just earlier this week. Tons of stuff to learn (~100,000 lines of code over several hundred files), tons of stuff to do, tons of challenges, tons of gotchas too no doubt.

Modernizing legacy code (JT's code, dating back to the late 1990s, when JTCS first came out); ensuring compatibility across so many versions of Windows over the years, and so many evolutions of C++; not to mention: fixing bugs old and new, adding new features (in most cases optional; no breaking of older legacy scenarios), spiffing up the UI ... You have no idea!

It's still too early to begin the promised Developer Diary series. (Coder Diary? More appropriate for Jason & co. to write a Developer Diary, if they so choose? Remember: We are a team, and I am just one though not an insignificant member of that team.)

But for now I can report:

Making good progress! (But don't get too excited. This is not at all to suggest imminent release of MCS, much less the CS 1.05 update. Way too soon for that.)

And once again I can say:

The Campaign Series is not dead!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
    Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Deputy)
  • Post #: 64
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 3:45:37 AM   
    scottintacoma

Berto,

Sounds like you have your hands full. Congrats on the success with the org editor. Good luck on everything. I would like to see a thread of how you are doing/what you are working on, seperate from this one.

And thanks!!!

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 65
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 6:51:07 AM   
    Crossroads

quote:

I have successfully built (compiled, linked, etc.) the first simple, test case game .exe, the Organization Editor. (Starting out small. Baby steps initially. After making automated fixes to the entire MCS codebase, I'll attempt building the remaining game .exe's in the next week or so.) The newly built edorg is stable, and appears to mimic operation of the earlier edorg fully and successfully.

You might think building the game .exe(s) to be no big deal. You would be wrong to think so. It is no easy thing, one programmer handing off a project of this size to another.

Berto, that is a huge task in itself, especially if the old exe projects were not created with MS tools!!!

On the other hand, if you've already imported one exe to MS IDE, that is great news! A significant part completed in itself. Once there, the IDE will start to do things for you

Best of luck, keep the faith, tally ho, and so forth!!!

(in reply to scottintacoma)
    Post #: 66
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 2:57:13 PM   
    wings7

Thanks berto, please continue to keep us informed...The Campaign Series is in good hands!

Patrick

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 67
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 3:45:39 PM   
    Deputy

Berto: "This is not at all to suggest imminent release of MCS, much less the CS 1.05 update. Way too soon for that."
    Yes, especially since it's been YEARS since the release was actually promised. I admire your efforts, but it makes me wonder WTH Matrix has been doing prior to you taking on the task. Take MCS and toss it on the back burner. Releasing it will just result in more bugs needing fixes and delay the fix of what is already a ridiculous delay with CS.

rpw00d: Since you are a newb, I will go easy on you and give you the facts of life with Matrix. Kissing Jason't butt is a non-productive activity. Him liking you or not liking you isn't going to make him add anything you request. Jason being supportive and helpful doesn't get the game fixed. So save your breath and suggestions. Pretty much ANY suggestion you make has already been made a hundred times. There are whole threads of nothing but suggestions. And they were made YEARS ago. As to scenarios, most everyone by this time have played all the scenarios to death. At least, those who aren't playing ONLY PBEM have. If you want to make a suggestion, make one about the scenario generator. That was a great idea that could have extended playability for a LONG time. But it is very poorly implemented. Graphics improvements, even an update to more resolution, will NOT be happening. That is on the suggestions thread and has been repeated ad nauseum.

Crossroads: You know better than to post suggestions. You are just padding your post count and nothing else.

< Message edited by Deputy -- 3/21/2013 3:46:52 PM >

Squad Battles
    John Tiller's Campaign Series

(in reply to wings7)
    Post #: 68
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 4:19:56 PM   
    CaptainHuge

I appreciate that there is a voice out there pointing out how much time it is taking for changes to be made to this great game, but Deputy, I am finding your posts a little negative. You have made your point, either accept that what you have is the game and that's it, or wait patiently with the rest of us. Insulting the people who are trying to move the game forward is obviously not working for you. And look at my post count, I am not interested in padding it.

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 69
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 6:12:52 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptainHuge

I appreciate that there is a voice out there pointing out how much time it is taking for changes to be made to this great game, but Deputy, I am finding your posts a little negative. You have made your point, either accept that what you have is the game and that's it, or wait patiently with the rest of us. Insulting the people who are trying to move the game forward is obviously not working for you. And look at my post count, I am not interested in padding it.

LOL...only a LITTLE negative?!?!??!?! You give me too much credit. I accept that the answer to my question of whether 1.05 is dead in the water is probably yes. As to waiting patiently, I am done with that. We waited patiently for YEARS and still nothing. I am not insulting the people (or maybe it is just "person"?) who is working on this game. But c'mon, YEARS to put out a patch? What were the people before Berto started working on it doing???? Sounds to me like nothing much. Then again, how much motivation would they have if they weren't even being paid for their efforts. Charity and dedication can only go so far before people move on to something where they WILL get compensated for their efforts.

Squad Battles

(in reply to CaptainHuge)
    Post #: 70
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 6:33:50 PM   
    Crossroads

You need to seriously lighten up my friend. All those negative waves surely can't be good for you.

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 71
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/21/2013 9:56:10 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

You need to seriously lighten up my friend. All those negative waves surely can't be good for you.

Trying to figure how questions about the status and suggestions for improvements can be viewed as "negative posts". I'm still playing the game (with version 1.02B) and enjoying it in spite of the longtime bugs present in it. If I didn't give a dang about the game, I wouldn't be posting here.
    We've been "light" with Matrix about improving this game for YEARS and so far....NOTHING. How much "lighter" do you want to be??? Obviously kissing their butts is a waste of time and gets nothing done. Maybe if more people stopped patting Matrix' backsides and started voicing complaints, Matrix wouldn't be so complacent. Right now it's pretty obvious Matrix is taking the users of this game for granted.

Squad Battles

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 72
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/22/2013 9:58:28 AM   
    MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deputy
    Right now it's pretty obvious Matrix is taking the users of this game for granted.

For a law enforcement officer, you cannot see the forest for the trees.
    And, in my opinion you are delusional.

Do we all want the game to be free of bugs? Yes.
    Do we wish that a paid staff would be developing this game? Yes.

But, that is not the case. Bugs get fixed when they are found. If there is a fix that can be applied.

Some of "us" have been helping, or helped in the past, to let the team know where the bugs are. Others have been making suggestions to improve (though I cringe at those who want to change it) and they have been helping to improve it.
    Others have become self taught modders. They have gone far in enhancing the product.

You, on the other hand, have been the little kid in the back seat repeating "are we there yet?". Or, the kid in the back of the class who thinks that throwing spitballs and making negative comments about school and the teacher are going to enhance his "kewl" standing with others.

You think your approach has worked? Maybe you think that, but months of negative posting has gotten you ... where?
    And, for many who read your posts expecting something positive are disappointed because ... you are just annoyingly negative. With nothing positive to help out. A user in the highest degree.

Jason and most of the team have gotten many e-mails and posts with the "bugs" and other problems that need to be fixed. Jason (and the others) have all responded in a professional and respectful way. Even with you. But, I am not sure how they do it. I'd have zapped you long ago.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 73
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/22/2013 3:36:44 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

quote:

Right now it's pretty obvious Matrix is taking the users of this game for granted.

For a law enforcement officer, you cannot see the forest for the trees.
    And, in my opinion you are delusional.

Do we all want the game to be free of bugs? Yes.
    Do we wish that a paid staff would be developing this game? Yes.

But, that is not the case. Bugs get fixed when they are found. If there is a fix that can be applied.

Some of "us" have been helping, or helped in the past, to let the team know where the bugs are. Others have been making suggestions to improve (though I cringe at those who want to change it) and they have been helping to improve it.
    Others have become self taught modders. They have gone far in enhancing the product.

You, on the other hand, have been the little kid in the back seat repeating "are we there yet?". Or, the kid in the back of the class who thinks that throwing spitballs and making negative comments about school and the teacher are going to enhance his "kewl" standing with others.

You think your approach has worked? Maybe you think that, but months of negative posting has gotten you ... where?
    And, for many who read your posts expecting something positive are disappointed because ... you are just annoyingly negative. With nothing positive to help out. A user in the highest degree.

Jason and most of the team have gotten many e-mails and posts with the "bugs" and other problems that need to be fixed. Jason (and the others) have all responded in a professional and respectful way. Even with you. But, I am not sure how they do it. I'd have zapped you long ago.

RR

Put that Matrix flag down, waving it that much will hurt your arms.

"Bugs get fixed as they are found". Really? Is there some kind of magical patch drifting through the air that seeps into the game when nobody is looking? Because there are obvious bugs that have existed since Talonsoft owned the game and are STILL there. That being the ridiculous "burn up the movement points" bug that supply and command vehicles use all the time. If I had a nickel for every time someone posted about that, I could discontinue social security.

Are we there yet? Well after YEARS of waiting for another patch, that seems like the LEAST someone should ask. And the asnwer is NO, we aren't there yet and probably won't EVER be there if Matrix continues to do fixes "on the cheap" as they are STILL doing. I couldn't care less about the opinions of others. You DO know what opinions are like?

Has my approach worked? A better question is has ANY approach worked? The obvious answer is NO. Matrix has deaf ears when it comes to this game. Unless you want to talk about some future spinoff that they can make more money on that will most likely ALSO be full of problems.
    And it hasn't been "months of negative posting". If you open your peepers you will see I have TWO threads started this year and only one of them, THIS ONE, is about the vaporware patch. The end of last year I had a question about modifying the start of campaigns. Of course, if you keep going back YEARS, you will find more of my posts, along with others, asking where the heck is the patch.

< Message edited by Deputy -- 3/22/2013 3:39:09 PM >

Squad Battles

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
    Post #: 74
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/22/2013 6:35:55 PM   
    TJD

Looks like it's time to apply the straightjacket and ball gag to ol' Deputy again...

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 75
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/22/2013 8:15:46 PM   
    Deputy

Again? They never did before. Gagging me would be proof positive that what I have said is exactly right.

< Message edited by Deputy -- 3/22/2013 8:16:25 PM >

Squad Battles

(in reply to TJD)
    Post #: 76
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/23/2013 2:24:37 AM   
    kool_kat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

If I had a nickel for every post of yours that was whining or complaining instead of something useful or productive, I could hire (at the going rates) a full production team and get this product out the door by the end of the month.

Thanks for the TWO things.

Jason Petho

Priceless! +2

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to Jason Petho)
    Post #: 77
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/23/2013 2:26:13 AM   
    budd

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
    I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 78
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/23/2013 1:07:10 PM   
    MrRoadrunner

"Are we there yet?"

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 79
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 3/23/2013 3:19:32 PM   
    rpwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: scottgibson

Berto,

Sounds like you have your hands full. Congrats on the success with the org editor. Good luck on everything. I would like to see a thread of how you are doing/what you are working on, seperate from this one.

And thanks!!!

Ditto. Not a programmer but would be willing to help with research, historical data, editing/writing scenario/campaign information.

(in reply to scottintacoma)
    Post #: 80
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/5/2013 8:23:16 PM   
    navwarcol

Wow..read this post finally.... amusing. A couple of questions.. what works "better" in the 1.02 patch? And if something does, how do you get that patch?
    Oh, and another one.. Does this game have a way to create units from scratch? But that is maybe belonging in a different post..

(in reply to rpwood)
    Post #: 81
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/17/2013 8:32:55 PM   
    LoneWulf63

I can't believe how people can get into such a pissing contest over a GAME. Its a game guys, no need to have a stroke because some patch for this or that game hasn't been released yet. Here is a suggestion. If you don't like a certain version of a game, DON'T PLAY IT but don't attack those that are only trying to make it better for the rest of us whether it takes years or decades. Nuff said.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to navwarcol)
    Post #: 82
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/19/2013 4:22:53 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

I can't believe how people can get into such a pissing contest over a GAME. Its a game guys, no need to have a stroke because some patch for this or that game hasn't been released yet. Here is a suggestion. If you don't like a certain version of a game, DON'T PLAY IT but don't attack those that are only trying to make it better for the rest of us whether it takes years or decades. Nuff said.

Obviously, you don't have the addiction and enjoyment factor that many of the rest of us have. Nobody is "attacking " anyone else. If we were, we'd be banned. My complaint is with Matrix and the excessive (I don't have immortality so waiting YEARS for a patch is not an option for me) time it is taking for a new patch. You are a relative newb to the forum and probably the game. I've been here since 2005. Heck, I've been playing the game back when Talonsoft first released East Front. I was playing East Front before I even knew there WAS a forum. So I have a pretty long history with the game. So you can pretty much guess what I think of your "suggestion".

Actually, I have moved on to Tiller's Squad Battles. They are more versatile and the graphics, especially with modder's help, are MUCH better.

Squad Battles

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
    Post #: 83
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/19/2013 6:39:54 PM   
    LoneWulf63

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

Obviously, you don't have the addiction and enjoyment factor that many of the rest of us have. Nobody is "attacking " anyone else. If we were, we'd be banned. My complaint is with Matrix and the excessive (I don't have immortality so waiting YEARS for a patch is not an option for me) time it is taking for a new patch. You are a relative newb to the forum and probably the game. I've been here since 2005. Heck, I've been playing the game back when Talonsoft first released East Front. I was playing East Front before I even knew there WAS a forum. So I have a pretty long history with the game. So you can pretty much guess what I think of your "suggestion".

Actually, I have moved on to Tiller's Squad Battles. They are more versatile and the graphics, especially with modder's help, are MUCH better.

I don't have the same addiction to this game as the rest of you? Really now, and just how long have you been playing war-games, computer or otherwise? I have been involved in war-gaming for well over 40 years and my passion for the John Tiller Series is just as strong as anyone else. I started playing WF, EF II, and Divided Ground almost from the day they were published. I have been on many forums (games or others) and there always seems to be those individuals that nobody can please, be it the developers of the games or the people that mod the games. If something isn't done the way you want for a particular game then I suggest you learn how to do some coding and make a mod for all to enjoy. And as for attacking anyone, did I attack you directly? No I did not. All I said was that this is a game, and not something to get so upset about. Now if I get banned for stating that, then so be it. And as for me knowing what you think of my suggestion, well Sir I would rather not tell you my true feelings about you because I would get banned. Good Day to you.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 84
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/19/2013 7:38:22 PM   
    LoneWulf63

Deputy. One other thing you should know. If I wasn't as addicted to the JTCS game system, as you have implied, then pray-tell why would I start converting numerous scenarios from a fine conventional World War II platoon level war-game for the JTCS game system? If that isn't addiction and DEDICATION to a game, I don't know what is.

< Message edited by resinslinger -- 5/19/2013 7:39:45 PM >

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
    Post #: 85
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/21/2013 8:21:19 PM   
    MrRoadrunner

quote:

So, you are posting here to simply continue to moan?
    Maybe there is a Squad Battles forum somewhere that you could infest?

RR

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 86
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/21/2013 9:33:30 PM   
    kool_kat

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

quote:

So, you are posting here to simply continue to moan?
    Maybe there is a Squad Battles forum somewhere that you could infest?

RR

Gents:

Actually, there is a Squad Battles forum (GameSquad) and Deputy is already active on it.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?263-Squad-Battles

Good for you Deputy! Have fun there!

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
    Post #: 87
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/23/2013 2:00:38 AM   
    Otto von Blotto

After all this time, hassle and bitching I can't say I'm sorry to see he's finally moved on and left something he was so unhappy about behind, though it seems all is not totally happy in his new chosen game world either. Who would have guessed ?

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to kool_kat)
    Post #: 88
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/23/2013 5:52:35 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Otto von Blotto

After all this time, hassle and bitching I can't say I'm sorry to see he's finally moved on and left something he was so unhappy about behind, though it seems all is not totally happy in his new chosen game world either. Who would have guessed ?

Yeah, whata surprise. Another Tiller game series that has become vaporware because the wonderful Mr. Tiller is more interested in making the almighty $ with newer games, than in actually supporting and fixing what he has already created. Squad Battles IS head and shoulders better than the Campaign Series in every respect. But much of the reason for that is because SOME of the games in that series (Red Victory, Winter War, and Eagles Strike) can have their combat values for weapons and vehicles and loadouts modified by the user. So we can correct the innaccuracies Tiller put into the games.
    Tiller seems to think that WW2 was fought mainly by infantry, and that artillery and tanks took a minor role. He flatly stated he won't do ANYTHING to alter the games to make artillery and tanks take a more dominant role. So we have King Tiger tanks that are being kniocked out rather easily by infantry with 2.75 inch bazookas. Fortunately, we can change that in the DAT files. So we can make Squad Battles games more realistic. Something you CAN'T do with the Campaign Series. In Squad Battles we can modify each individual weapon to reflect it's actual abilities and strengths and weaknesses.

At any rate, I have move on from the CS into something that is actually still alive because of user mods. Have fun waiting for decades for a patch to come out for CS.

Squad Battles

(in reply to Otto von Blotto)
    Post #: 89
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 5/23/2013 9:17:31 PM   
    Crossroads

(in reply to Deputy)
    Post #: 90
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI