Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/23/2013 9:11:45 AM   
FieldOfGlory

South of Berlin General Wiese is holding the line. German Artillery and German bombers have been pounding the Muslim forces for 2 months straight.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FieldOfGlory -- 4/24/2013 7:52:34 AM >

(in reply to FieldOfGlory)
Post #: 151
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 7:36:58 AM   
FieldOfGlory

With the conquest of Islamabad of the German mainland nearly complete OKW has begun looking at future battle plans for finishing of the last bastion of Islamabad in the area South of Berlin.

In Northern part of this province we can see very rough terrain. Mostly forest and jungle with a bit of swampland mixed in.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 152
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 7:43:16 AM   
FieldOfGlory

In the South the terrain is mostly rice paddies.

Clearly the 1st Panzer will be of little use in this territory and Horse driven Infantry Armies are going to rule the day here.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 153
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 8:09:02 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Preliminary plans right now are calling for amphibious landings from Model and Manstein with the objective of cutting the rail moving supplies from Annabah to the Muslim forces in the North. This will give Wiese a little help in breaking through the narrows and joining the fight with Model and Manstein. German engineers will most likely need to construct a Port in order to pull it off.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 154
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 10:06:38 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Rommel's first Panzer has succeeded in capturing the enemy capital. Islamabad has fallen!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 155
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 10:22:27 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Rommel visits with some of the Islamabad POW's to insure they are being treated humanely and are getting proper medical treatment.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 156
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 12:30:55 PM   
jday305

Consider using units heavy with SMG infantry to fight south of Berlin as they do well in cities and woods. They will give a better punch in those woods then just regular infantry. Also, consider dropping a few paratroopers along the road between the city of Annabah and the front line troops. Although they will probably have heavy losses, it will keep supplies from the front line troops and keep the enemy from concentrating on your amphibious landings; hopefully buying you some time to establish a firm beachhead.

Post #: 157
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 2:07:08 PM   
Josh

Yes you are right about the para's, unfortunately they are very expensive and you need transport planes and nearby airfields too. Sometimes I wonder if they are worth the trouble being so expensive and all... maybe if the transport planes they use had a double range and if the para's had a higher attack/defense value.

Oh about the picture with Rommel... I doubt they are prisoners. The one on the foreground makes you think so... but the two in the background definitely are German. So they question remains; who is that guy on the foreground? Looks Indian to me... oh hang on this pic is taken later in Normandy in "44... so this must be the "Fremde Heere". Foreigners serving in the German Army. There's also this story about (at least) two Koreans who ended up facing D-Day on the German side. 

Sorry to be a bit off topic here, don't want to ruin your AAR. 

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 158
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 5:47:56 PM   
jday305

If the para's are dropped in the right terrain, woods or elevation hexes, then they can get a defense boost from digging in. I would not use then as an offensive weapon but only defence and spoiler for the enemy to quickly rush reinforcements in the front lines. A couple of para units in the right spot can cause chaos to the enemy's supply line. It does take some planning with additional transports and airfields but may be the best option if a front is in a stalemate or the opening actions to start a war with an unorganized enemy. With the only good supply route to the Isamabad's front line forces through the heavy woods, I think it could be an excellent spot to drop a couple of para units. I would recon with air assets to determine the troop concentration between the two tank factories before desiding where to use them properly. Its only a suggestion but I agree that they can expensive and FieldOfGlory will have to decide their value for himself in this situation.

RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 159
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 6:39:09 PM   
derstralle

Did you consider a more direct approach?

I think your Panzer Army could be put to good use in the desert. Annabah seems vulnerable to a mechanized attack from the south west.
By taking this city all the forces further north will be cut off and hence easy prey. Plus: from there you will enjoy an easier approach route towards Mocha.

Your plan seems to me like the beginning of a huge slugfest - no doubt you will win this and have a lot of fun.
However every month you wait the Americans grow stronger.

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 160
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/24/2013 6:56:55 PM   
british exil

You also have the possibility of using paras to close his supply lines and then to fire on his units with Art. units.
Units out of supply getting pummeled by big guns and maybe bombing runs will not last long. Moral will sink and then you can attack with veteran Inf units. Victory is guaranteed.

That way you may keep your losses minimal.

Don't forget to reduce your supplies to your Panzer Armee, if they are going to spent a while sitting around. Before you attack the rest of the world, they can be on reduced supplies. Just enough to keep them in the green, but not more than they need. A turn or two prior to being sent into action, turn supply level to max.

You will need all the supplies you can scrouge before the offensive against the US.

Mat

< Message edited by british exil -- 4/24/2013 7:34:14 PM >

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to derstralle)
Post #: 161
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/25/2013 4:33:08 AM   
FieldOfGlory

I had seriously considered the idea of using para's in this situation but was also concerned about the investment required and wrote off the idea. This situation is begging for a para drop though and it just sounds fun so I think you guys talked me into it. I will still be doing the amphibious landings too.

As far as using the Panzer Army goes I appreciate the suggestion but I think the desert area around Annabah is just too small and confining to justify there use in this situation. Like British exile suggested I think I will use the time spent on this jungle campaign to park my Panzers and stock up some fuel for the coming fight against the states.

SMG's would definitely perform better in that terrain but my Infantry armies are already fully staffed with experienced rifleman. It would unthinkable for me to disband them. Now I suppose I could get fancy and transfer them to OKW or something in order to preserve their experience and replace them with SMG's but that sounds like more work than I care to do.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 162
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/25/2013 11:04:29 AM   
british exil

Riflemen are good for plains and field fighting. SMG for close quarter battles, wooded areas, jungle, urban etc.

Quite a while back Vic wrote a handbook of the pro's and con's of every unit. http://www.vrdesigns.nl/?p=270

Might be worth reading, before you plunge into the next stage of your campaign.

I guess there are a lot that are following your campaign, some comment and some just read, if you feel we are giving too much advice, you can always sack your "staff". We just want to keep the AAR going, as it is fun to read and wonder what is happening. We all know how much work goes into playing and then the AAR, but please keep it up.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Post #: 163
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/25/2013 12:06:29 PM   
jday305

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

I guess there are a lot that are following your campaign, some comment and some just read, if you feel we are giving too much advice, you can always sack your "staff". We just want to keep the AAR going, as it is fun to read and wonder what is happening. We all know how much work goes into playing and then the AAR, but please keep it up.

Mat

I have enjoyed following this campaign and others like it as it gives me new ideas and tactics that I could follow in my own games. I hope that FieldOfGlory also continnues as I have seen many since I started following Matrix forums stop just as they were getting interesting.

RebelYell

Edmund Burke

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 164
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/25/2013 7:32:34 PM   
Tac2i

Armored units can attack up/down the rail lines so you may find that they can still be useful in some circumstances.

quote:

ORIGINAL: FieldOfGlory

In the South the terrain is mostly rice paddies.

Clearly the 1st Panzer will be of little use in this territory and Horse driven Infantry Armies are going to rule the day here.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

Post #: 165
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/26/2013 4:00:33 AM   
LazyBoy

Its a great AAR, which I check every day keep it up if you can.

I appreciate the work involve for you, thanks

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 166
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 4/26/2013 4:20:17 AM   
Magpius

+1 really looking forward to the next big regime clash.

(in reply to LazyBoy)
Post #: 167
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 6:36:59 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Update: I have played through the Winter. Pretty boring stuff mostly.

German forces swept out what enemy forces were left in Southern Islamabad after there capital fell. All the enemy forces were out of supply so it was pretty routine.

German industry formed 2 Para divisions and air transport wings as well as naval cargo ships to facilitate the amphibious invasion.

Rundstedt's 7th army has been converted to a mobile Panzer army.

Also it should be noted that 2 turns before I began my landing operations that the States declared war on Islamabad.

< Message edited by FieldOfGlory -- 5/4/2013 6:48:51 AM >

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 168
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 6:45:16 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Fade in...

May 1933,

"Operation German freedom" Is under way. 2 German Fallschirmjager Divisions make para drop landings behind enemy lines in an effort to disrupt Islamabad supplies. One division was able to land directly on the rail leading North and I would have loved to be able to land the other on the factory just to the North but it was not available as a drop zone. I'm not sure what factors determine where a para can and cannot drop but I took what I could get.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 169
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 6:47:08 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Model and Manstein make there initial landings on the Eastern beaches.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 170
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 6:56:52 AM   
FieldOfGlory

In the North General Wiese pounded Islamabad Armored units with air and Artillery then followed with a successful land attack destroying a total of 16 Islamabad Armored regiments.

Unfortunately General Wiese was injured while playing an action card and hospitalized. Field Marshal Guderian has tranfered from 1st regional HQ to assume command of Wiese's 7th Army until he has recovered from his injuries.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FieldOfGlory -- 5/4/2013 6:58:22 AM >

Post #: 171
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 7:43:05 AM   
FieldOfGlory

June 1933,

The 44th Fallschirmjager Division was able to capture an enemy Tank Factory. Now with 2 para's blocking the rail going North supply problems should soon become a serous issue for Islamabad forces.

Manstein and Model begin to move off the beaches. Next month the German Port should be up and running to help ease the supply problem. Manstein received an air supply drop on his HQ this month.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 172
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 8:08:26 AM   
FieldOfGlory

German strategic Bombers take out a States Aircraft Factory.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 173
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 8:24:16 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Here is the location of the states Factory that was destroyed by the Air raid.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 174
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 8:33:11 AM   
FieldOfGlory

July 1933,

In the North Guderian continues to pound his way through the narrows aided by Air, Naval and Artillery bombardments.

Manstein now has access to a Naval supply port and elements of his Army capture an Islamabad Tank Factory.

Model's HQ finally hits the Beach in the second wave.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 175
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 8:56:29 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Operation German freedom is going well and in no small part to the Brave Fallschirmjager's

Attachment (1)

Post #: 176
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 1:28:17 PM   
jday305

Nicely done FieldOfGlory. Now you have to worry about that armour that looks like it is preparing to counter attack. Hopefully, you have some AT weapons with the troops facing them.

RebelYell

Edmund Burke

Post #: 177
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/4/2013 8:02:53 PM   
Josh

Yeah I do hope you have some Warthogs available err I mean Stuka's, those tanks sure look menacing.

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 178
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/5/2013 5:37:23 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Scratch 1 Islamabad Tank Factory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 179
RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders - 5/5/2013 7:22:40 AM   
FieldOfGlory

August 1933,
Wiese has recovered from his wounds and resumed his command over the 7th Army.

In the North Wiese is breaking out of the narrows and has managed to link up his forces with Manstein.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: FieldOfGlory vs 3 AI+ powers V2.14 with Leaders Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI