Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/25/2013 10:37:34 PM   
Hotschi

1.) "The Amphibians Came to Conquer: The Story of Richmond Kelly Turner." Volume II by George C. Dyer - the paperback

2.) "The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997" by Piers Brendon - the Kindle e-book

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 571
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/25/2013 10:44:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

2.) "The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997" by Piers Brendon - the Kindle e-book
warspite1

Please let me know what you think - the Guardian liked it so I suspect its's positively hideous.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 572
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/26/2013 12:59:40 AM   
Hotschi

It's the first book I read about this topic, so I cannot compare it with other titles. Anyway, I've almost finished it and I like it. It is full of anecdotes that it can hardly be called a history book - it's narrative history. Definitely not a book for "beginners" who are interested in this topic, but nonetheless worth reading.

Do you know other titles about the subject?

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 573
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2013 6:36:22 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

It's the first book I read about this topic, so I cannot compare it with other titles. Anyway, I've almost finished it and I like it. It is full of anecdotes that it can hardly be called a history book - it's narrative history. Definitely not a book for "beginners" who are interested in this topic, but nonetheless worth reading.

Do you know other titles about the subject?
warspite1

I read The Rise and Fall of the British Empire (Lawrence James) many years ago. That was a decent book.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 574
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2013 8:54:50 PM   
Hotschi

Thank you, I checked it at Amazon - have to put it on my to-buy list!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 575
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/28/2013 8:28:49 PM   
SLAAKMAN

The General's Son: Journey of an Israeli in Palestine

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 576
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/29/2013 7:46:07 PM   
shunwick

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. I have not read this for ages and ages but it is still a good read.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 577
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/29/2013 10:28:11 PM   
rodney727

Just curious if anyone reads anything from stackpole military series? Every division in the german army SS and anything in between that was ever formed in ww2 is covered. Would loved to read the same thing on American , British and Russian units also. Never found anything that comes close to this. Any ideas?

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/30/2013 1:10:39 AM >

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 578
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/29/2013 10:58:20 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Just curious if anyone reads anything from stackpole military series? Every division in the german army SS and anything in between that was every formed in ww2 is covered. Would loved to read the same thing on American , British and Russian units also. Never found anything that comes close to this. Any ideas?

How does it compare to the Ballantine series?

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 579
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/29/2013 11:22:24 PM   
rodney727

I'm looking for unit (division history) on each unit. With a quick google look the site site you listed only covers the general campaigns and special operations. If I am wrong please tell me. I want books that would tell me the history of each division . For example I had developers from WITE tell me that no 999th german infantry ever existed while in fact it did. It would be wonderful if I could find a source that covered all Russian units as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

Just curious if anyone reads anything from stackpole military series? Every division in the german army SS and anything in between that was every formed in ww2 is covered. Would loved to read the same thing on American , British and Russian units also. Never found anything that comes close to this. Any ideas?

How does it compare to the Ballantine series?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 580
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2013 4:11:16 PM   
shunwick

Rogo727,

I use the World War II Databook by John Ellis (it provides basic divisional data for all the belligerents with the exception of the Chinese - date formed - deployment - date destroyed etc) as my starting point and then Google for more detailed information.

I can't remember ever seeing anything similar to the Stackpole series for the other belligerents.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Yikes! I have just seen the price of World War II Databook on Amazon £159.92 new. I do not remember what I paid for it new (I have had it for few years) but it was never anywhere near that price.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/30/2013 4:25:28 PM >

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 581
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2013 4:20:21 PM   
rodney727

I will check it out and hope it is available in the iBook store. What I really like about digital downloads is that you can get pretty much any book at about half the price. I do have the kindle app and the nook ap and buy only when I can't buy from iBooks . I have 15 stackpole books on my iPad now. I don't know why but reading each and every German division ever formed in ww2 is very fascinating . Most but not all are written by British authors ! But anyway thank you for the tip. I found the book but its not available in ebook from yet!. It looks good I will probably get it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Rogo727,

I use the World War II Databook by John Ellis (it provides basic divisional data for all the belligerents with the exception of the Chinese - date formed - deployment - date destroyed etc) as my starting point and then Google for more detailed information.

I can't remember ever seeing anything similar to the Stackpole series for the other belligerents.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/30/2013 4:28:14 PM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 582
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2013 4:20:49 PM   
catwhoorg

Right now.

The Cruel Sea, by Nicolas Montserrat.

Not my first time reading it, but it has been about 10 years since I picked it up.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 583
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2013 4:31:33 PM   
rodney727

Found it too starting at 135 US dollars hardback and 34.96 used! I am wondering how you set the price at 34.96!?
quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Yikes! I have just seen the price of World War II Databook on Amazon £159.92 new. I do not remember what I paid for it new (I have had it for few years) but it was never anywhere near that price.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 584
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2013 6:00:15 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Found it too starting at 135 US dollars hardback and 34.96 used! I am wondering how you set the price at 34.96!?
quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

According to Amazon, I can trade-in my copy for a £1.01 gift card. That's what? A dollar 50 ?

You can buy it second-hand from Amazon UK for £8.45 very good condition though you would have to add delivery to US. That would still make it cheaper than the US second-hand price though.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/30/2013 6:07:26 PM >

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 585
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2013 9:57:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

I bought that book in circa 1995 for £40 I think it was. Broke the bank to get it at the time. A few mistakes in the book, but worth having as a source of reference.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 586
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2013 9:59:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

According to Amazon, I can trade-in my copy for a £1.01 gift card. That's what? A dollar 50 ?

You can buy it second-hand from Amazon UK for £8.45 very good condition though you would have to add delivery to US. That would still make it cheaper than the US second-hand price though.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

That Amazon trade-in is a complete joke. I would rather give a book away to charity (and I have done) rather than let them have it for such a ridiculous amount so they can re-sell for a huge mark-up .

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 587
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 12:57:12 AM   
rodney727

This book cover all British divisions in ww2? What I would really like to see is some one cover all Russian divisions from 1941-1945
quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

I bought that book in circa 1995 for £40 I think it was. Broke the bank to get it at the time. A few mistakes in the book, but worth having as a source of reference.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 588
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 1:11:13 AM   
shunwick

quote:

This book cover all British divisions in ww2? What I would really like to see is some one cover all Russian divisions from 1941-1945
quote:

quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Rogo727,

All the warring nations except the Chinese. There is some information on the Chinese divisions that fought in the Burma theater but I think that is about all. But yes, all the Soviet divisions are there together with how and when they were reformed/renamed.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 589
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 1:16:45 AM   
rodney727

Ordered from amazon at $45 US dollars the book said in near mint condition. I hope so! Tell you what I think in a week to ten days
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Rogo727,

All the warring nations except the Chinese. There is some information on the Chinese divisions that fought in the Burma theater but I think that is about all. But yes, all the Soviet divisions are there together with how and when they were reformed/renamed.

Best wishes,
Steve

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 590
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 2:17:59 AM   
slpatgun

Reading "The approach to the Philippines" by Robert Ross Smith. One of the "Big Green Books, The US Army in WWII, Office of the Chief of Military History, Department of the Army".
Lot's of info on a little known part of the Pacific War.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 591
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 3:26:01 AM   
DampSquib

Kill Anything That Moves - Nick Turse.

(in reply to slpatgun)
Post #: 592
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 3:36:52 AM   
RangerX3X

"Wake Up Dead" by Megadeth.

lol...wrong post

< Message edited by RangerX3X -- 5/1/2013 3:39:05 AM >

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 593
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 5:09:58 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Listing 21st Panzer as spending the entire war on the Eastern Front is the one boneheaded goof that still makes me worry about the whole thing. But I still use it. The production figures, in particular, have come in handy on some projects.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 594
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 5:23:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Listing 21st Panzer as spending the entire war on the Eastern Front is the one boneheaded goof that still makes me worry about the whole thing. But I still use it. The production figures, in particular, have come in handy on some projects.
warspite1

For me it was the losses during the Hunt for Bismarck. Battleships include Battlecruisers (as per the book's explanation) but apparently HMS Hood was a cruiser.... The RN also lost a destroyer - I've no idea which one.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 595
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2013 12:34:12 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Bob,

Mistakes are inevitable. This is why trusting only in a single source is dangerous. Even trusting multiple sources does not guarantee accuracy. It is possible to see some mistakes repeated across several sources. Even original documents contain errors.

Nothing is more fraught with inaccuracies, lies, balderdash, and humbug than History. Military History is even murkier.

But you know all this.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 596
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2013 11:18:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

One of the authors that actually got me reading in my youth has passed away.

James Herbert.

I think I will have to buy The Dark again. Qualiteeee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21870413
warspite1

Couldn't find The Dark so bought Ash instead. 100 pages in and so far so good

warspite1

Just Finished Ash. A thoroughly entertaining read and I would recommend for those fans of the horror genre.

Next up its the latest biography of Lady Thatcher.
warspite1

...and what a superb, very balanced, read it is too. I would recommend this, whichever side of the political fence you sit.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 597
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/3/2013 12:08:18 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Bob,

Mistakes are inevitable. This is why trusting only in a single source is dangerous. Even trusting multiple sources does not guarantee accuracy. It is possible to see some mistakes repeated across several sources. Even original documents contain errors.

Nothing is more fraught with inaccuracies, lies, balderdash, and humbug than History. Military History is even murkier.

But you know all this.

Best wishes,
Steve

Very astute observation Mr Shunwick. Very astute indeed. Now if only Warspite1 would pay attention to this, we'd have a good campaign going.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 598
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2013 2:37:07 AM   
nicwb

Just finished my Anzac day read "Hell's Bell's and Mademoiselles" -the personal memoirs of Lt Joe Maxwell VC

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/book/hells-bells-and-mademoiselles-a-true-story-of-life-love-and-larrikinism-on-the-western-front/37139104/

Not really much of a history - more of a series of recollections from someone who went from private to Lt and picked up a string of medals on the way.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 599
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/5/2013 11:36:37 AM   
Yogi the Great

A Blaze of Glory by Jeff Shaara. A Novel of the Battle of Shiloh

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI