Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 1:09:00 AM   
Canoerebel

Arg, John sent a first email intending to attach the 001 file, but misclicked on an old 007 file; then, he sent another email intending to re-attach the 001 plus the 007....but the 001 is corrupted and won't load and he actually didn't attach the 007. So I'm stuck here for the next 1.5 hours and he probably won't check his email in time to rectify the problem. So it may be tomorrow morning before I know what happened.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1771
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 1:16:00 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

An advantage of going metric, a 7 kilometre run is so much easier1

But OTOH seven kilometers will kill you.

The Moose

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1772
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 1:49:58 AM   
whippleofd

quote:

Now I'm back drinking a big cup of unsweet ice tea
What is the vile drink of which you speak? Must be a yankee thing.

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1773
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 1:57:31 AM   
Canoerebel

Well, John is having some kind of massive problem at his house. I did receive and run a good 001 file, so I've seen the movie. But now the 007 turn file won't load. So I can't get the real skinny quite yet.

Overall, though, I'd say the day was an Allied victory, though the battle is just beginning in all likelihood....

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 1774
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 2:55:37 AM   
Canoerebel

9/13/42

Bay of Bengal: At least two enemy carrier TFs park close to Akyab. Both land-based and carrier-bases trikes vs. Allied shipping at Akyab and Cox's Bazaar score some hits but at high cost to Japanese aircraft. Royal Soverign and Ramilles take multiple TTs - 3x on one, 4x on the other. Both are damaged heavily but not critically and should make the comparative safety of Chittagong, which has lots of CAP. At Akyab, Boise takes moderate damage as does an APD; another APD sinks (I think that's the first I've lost). The Japanes lose in excelss of 180 aircraft including 38 Betty, 32 Kate, 9 Nell, 67 Zero, 29 Val and 5 Tojo. The Allies lose about 36 fighters of all kinds. No enemy bombardment runs. No question that on this day the Allies came out on top. I don't think John took enough losses to persuade him to retire, but I'll be interested in seeing. Like any player, he hates one-sided air battles and he's had more than his share in going up against Allied LBA. Cursor intel reveals the presence of 7 CVE (36 F 46 B 0 Aux) and three CV (73 F, 70 B, 3 Aux). I need to do some figuring to see what might be there and what might still be out in the Pacific.

Bay of Bengal Tomorrow: Big questions. I think John may invade Ramree. I've elected, however, to keep all my combat vessels at Akyab on the basis that the worst thing that could happen would be to leave that port underprotected only to have massive bombardments close the airfield. That would be devastating. So Ramree stands on its own - mines, 550 AV, CD guns and jungle terrain will have to suffice for now. Meanwhile, Akyab gets more fighters and should be tough for his aircraft tomorrow, given their likely fatigue and disablement numbers. I'm expected massive enemy bombardments at Ramree, but as long as Akyab holds tight, the Allies will still hold the upper hand.

Burma: An IJ divisiion moved out of the jungle into the hex with 41st USA Div. just joined by 5th UK Bde. The Allies will attack tomorrow.

Pacific: Things still look good - the feinting assets are pretty much in place now. The amphibious TFs still haven't been detected as best I can tell. No signs of significant enemy activity at the targets. The only fly in the ointment - the two upgrading carriers at Pearl are stuck at six days (that means one of them even went backwards one day!). I have absolutely no idea what's causing this. The other two carriers - Ent and York - are leaving tonight to join Hornet and Wasp, which are at Tahiti already.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1775
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 4:55:00 AM   
BBfanboy

Very strange that stall in the PH dockyards. Assuming other vessels are not taking higher priority, I wonder if the repair time reporting is borked, and the repair is actually proceeding? The only way you would know is if the carriers suddenly came out of repair on the day predicted before the stall.

Did you do the Java update recently? Apparently it was a major change and there have been some reported bugs.

The only other thing I can think of is that repair of devices like guns and radar has its own timeline separate from the upgrade, and that timeline is not part of the initial repair time report when the ship first goes into the shipyard.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1776
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 5:39:45 AM   
Cribtop

CR, with him piling into the Bay of Bengal, methinks you are going to catch him by surprise in the Pacific.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1777
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 2:58:00 PM   
Canoerebel

9/14/42

Bay of Bengal and Burma: Big air/sea/land battle rages today. Both sides take losses; both sides experience some bad luck; both sides get in licks. Overall, the Allies come out ahead - possibly way ahead - but more about that later.

Sea Clash 1: The Japanese bring in a bombardment TF, led by four BBs, that tangles with Ching Lee's Vincennes TF. Lee gets surprise and roughs up the enemy. All enemy ships are set afire, with BB Ise taking a torp, CL Tenyru sinking, and three DD taking heavy damage. CL Mauritius takes one torp and is the hardest hit Allied ship. (The Allies were fortunate, no doubt, that the enemy's missions was bombardment rather than surface combat.)

Sea Clash 2: The Vincennes TF flees the hex, unfortunately, and tangles with a five-DD TF. Vincennes goes down as does one enemy DD.

Bombardment of the Airfield: Hyuga, Yamashiro and Fuso hit the airfield, somehow managing to avoid altercations with other Allied TFs in the hex, and do moderate damage including the destruction of 17 planes and damaging many more. This reduces Allied CAP, which will have an effect later in the day.

Sea Clash 3: The three IJN BBs tangle with the New Orleans/Helena TF. All three IJN ships take multiple hits, with Hyuga set afire. No damage to the Allies.

Sea Clash 4: The RN weighs in and scores the most lopsided victory of the day. BB Revenge, CA Cornwall and CL Dauntless face an imposing fource of four IJN CA and two CL. CAs Kako and Kinugasa and CLs Abukuma and Kuma are confirmed sunk and CA Aoba has "heavy fires/heavy damage." The only casualty for the Allies is DD Decoy with HF/HD (though she can still make 23 knots and will flee the scene). It has been rare, in my experience, to see a relatively small Allied TF flagged by an R-Class BB take on and decisively beat a big IJN cruiser TF.

Air Battles: Then begin the air battles, which for some reason aren't nearly as big as I would have expected. This is fortunate, because Allied CAP acted very squirrely. For one or two strikes, there was no CAP over some Allied combat ships a hex from Akyab. Then ALL CAP was over those TFs, leaving Akyab and it's shipping completely naked. The Allies took some hard licks - CL Nashville sunk, CA Pensacola with two TTs (Fires/Heavy Damage) and CL Maurtius two more TT (also F/HD). Allied CAP and flak scores a fair number of kills on the day, so that the Allies come out on top on that scoreboard.

IJ Loss Reconciliation. Confirmed sunk: Two CA (Kinugasa and Kako); three CL (Tenyru, Abukuma and Kuma), one DD. Very Heavy Damage: CA Aoba, two DDs. Yard Time Required: BB Ise and BB Kyuga. The Japanese lose 16 fighters (4 Tojo, 12 Zero) and 19 bombers (including 9 Kates).

Allied Loss Reconciliation. Sunk: CA Vincennes; CL Nashville. Very Heavy Damage: CA Pensacola; CL Mauritius; DD Decoy. Yard Time Required: CL Helena. In addition, 13 Allied fighters are destroyed a-2-a with 17 destroyed on the ground.

Burma on the Ground: 41st USA Div. and 5th UK Bde. rough up 4th IJA Div. in the open near Schewbo. The Allies dont' take any losses to speak of; the IJ unit loses seven squads destroyed and 158 infantry squads disabled. This division is completely isolated now, so it looks ilke it will be the third IJ division to be seriously reduced. In the hex just vacated by 4th Div., the Allies shock attack and destroy one of two arty units (55 guns and vehicles and 20 non-combat squads destroyed). The surviving unit should be destroyed tomorrow, so the Allies will have sole possession of that jungle hex.

Burma Tomorrow: If this was the climax of the Japanese attack, the Allies have won a decisive victory. If, however, the Japanese are just beginning the battle - if, for instance, Musashi and fresh enemy TFs are inbound - the battle could easily turn the other way. Tomorrow, the Allies will have five combat TFs at or moving into Akyab: New Orleans TF (now commanded by a captain with very good ratings - I'm afraid Ching Lee might have gone down with Vincennes); Cornwall/Canberra TF (commanded by Shafroth); Hobart TF; and inbound from Chittagong the Dorsetshire/Devonshire TF and a smaller Adelaide TF. These TFs are mostly replenished, so the Allies can hold the field if new and powerful enemy forces aren't in bound. I think I'll know beforehand whether more is coming: If so, John will be anxious to flip turns today (he's off from work). If not - if the battle has basically ended - he'll have suffered a pretty telling defeat and won't be very anxious about proceeding. One other thing - the mass of damaged Allied shipping has to transit waters packed with subs, so the bleeding should continue. On the flip side, Allied mines scored some hits and there are a host of Allied subs in the Andaman Sea. The two enemy carrier TFs report a total of 10 CVE, two CV (I know one is Hiyo, so Junyo is undoubtedly there too if recovered from that torp. hit awhile back) with 100 F, 115 B, 3 Aux.

NoPac: Quiet. The dot hex goes to level one tomorrow on the suppostiion that the more noise and activity everywhere, the better.

CenPac: AM Robin was "feeling out" the enemy near Kwajalein and gets sunk by a four-DD TF. The two USN CVs at Pearl? One remains at six days; the other drops one to five days. If things don't improve by tomorrow, I may appeal to the Tech department for help.

SoPac/SWPac: Lots of enemy subs around - near Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, etc. Gonna be hard to achieve surprise for the pending operation.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1778
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 3:13:26 PM   
Houtje

Wow, things coming to a boil! Well done so far. Would it be possible to send your damaged TF's north (true) to Calcutta and then west (true) to Colombo, hugging the coast as it were, to avoid his wolfpacks?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1779
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 3:16:51 PM   
Canoerebel

His wolfpacks are mainly hugging the coast, so that ships moving between Akyab and Chittagong are the most exposed. For that reason, most of my damaged but high-speed-capable ships will move directly to Vizagapatnem enroute to Ceylon. He may anticipate this move and position his carriers to interdict, but I think that's relatively unlikely.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/14/2013 3:17:39 PM >

(in reply to Houtje)
Post #: 1780
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 3:48:07 PM   
Sakai007

Like watching an awesome movie! The build up to this action has been killing me, way to go!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1781
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 3:50:34 PM   
Canoerebel

The Battle of Assam

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sakai007)
Post #: 1782
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 4:55:28 PM   
Cribtop

Let me correct my prior post. You will both smack him in Burma and catch him off guard in the Pacific. This was a major win even if he keeps coming.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1783
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 5:00:30 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Let me correct my prior post. You will both smack him in Burma and catch him off guard in the Pacific. This was a major win even if he keeps coming.

+1

John is really handling poorly the land war in Burma

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1784
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 5:13:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Still early to tell, but Longstreet taking the high ground and waiting for the attack proved to be a good strategy given John's aggressiveness. (At the same time, I fully realize that Jackson charging into Burma to keep the initiative might have been more decisive.)

John has had months to gather his forces and prepare his plan. So if the Allies manage to win, the outcome would be all the more remarkable.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1785
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 5:21:01 PM   
GreyJoy

John really has to do something... but, at this point, I think he already lost the Burma campaign. If I was him i'd start to prepare a good defensive perimeter, building up the bases in southern Burma and northern Thailand. He cannot hope to push you out of the plains anymore...not with all those good divisions you're masterfully using

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1786
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 5:56:19 PM   
Paladin1dcs

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

John really has to do something... but, at this point, I think he already lost the Burma campaign. If I was him i'd start to prepare a good defensive perimeter, building up the bases in southern Burma and northern Thailand. He cannot hope to push you out of the plains anymore...not with all those good divisions you're masterfully using

So, for those of us following from the sidelines trying to learn a trick or two, where would you build a defensive line in Burma? He's already lost the central plains and the jungles to the North of them, which is where I would have looked at setting my lines, so what's left?

Should he establish a MLR along the river, past Prome and into Rangoon?

What about trying to hold Prome as a redoubt, since it's surrounded on four sides by a river?

I'm game to hear your ideas, since the land portion of the game is still somewhat of a mystery to me even now.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1787
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 6:37:18 PM   
Canoerebel

Once Japan needs to fall back from the plains, the obvious line would be anchored at Toungo and Taung Gyi, reaching out from those hexes to take maximum advantage of jungle and jungle/rough terrain (and, where feasible, rivers). Prome, being in the open, will be tough to hold.

In most games it is vital that Japan advance rapdily enough to occupy the key jungle hexes beyond the plains to deny them to the Allies in late '42 and as deep into '43 as possible. The only exception to this might be a strategy based on "sucking/keeping the Allies forward in Burma" while Japan invades NE India in a big way (thus ultimately securing those key jungle hexes).

In this game, the genesis of the idea to make a strong stand in the jungle came from reading GreyJoy's AAR and seeing how he handle the Japanese defense in upper Burma. If he could make a strong stand there as Japan in late '42 and '43, I figured the Allies might be able to do the same in early '42. My biggest concern was the threat of an end-round invasion by Japan into India, but it became clear pretty early that such wasn't likely to occur.

So, in all seriousness, a key part of the Allied strategy in this game came from reading GJ's AAR and modifying what was there to fit the circumstances of this game.

(in reply to Paladin1dcs)
Post #: 1788
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 7:13:01 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

I agree 100% with the Greyjoy. You might suffer in lost ships and even lose Ramree but the fact that John has committed so much force to the IO is in itself a victory. I know the game well enough to know that the Japanese fleet could be used to much advantage elsewhere in 11/42. Burma is essentially a land campaign and his ships will not do much to win that campaign in the long run.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1789
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/14/2013 10:33:36 PM   
DTurtle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Once Japan needs to fall back from the plains, the obvious line would be anchored at Toungo and Taung Gyi, reaching out from those hexes to take maximum advantage of jungle and jungle/rough terrain (and, where feasible, rivers). Prome, being in the open, will be tough to hold.

What are you planning to do to stop him setting up a defensive line there?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1790
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 12:36:06 AM   
Canoerebel

9/15/42

Battle of Assam: No combat ship action or bombardments today, but massive sweeps by Tojos over both Cox's Bazaar and Akyab, followed by strike aircraft targeting shipping and the airfield at Akyab. Once again, the Allies win the "body count" on the day, downing 128 aircraft, including 29 Tojos. The Allies lose 88 fighters - 18 of those on the ground. The big Tojo sweeps eventually blow through the CAP, leaving nothing to face four or five incoming raids. The enemy strike aircraft must be tuckered out, though, for there were few hits. The only thing I noted was CA Devonshire taking a few bombs and incurring light/moderate damage. If John can keep this up, though, I'm in trouble. My fighter force are in a shambles. Akyab's field is over-clogged with disabled aircraft. I'm on fumes here. If, however, John's airforces are also about out of gas, the Allies should be okay. A few days to repair and reorganize will go a long way to fixing things. Will the Allies get that time or not? That's the key question now. But the combat TFs are staying. They have 100% ammo, so they're ready to fight. This battle is at a critical stage now - John must - he MUST - blink first. \

On the Ground: The US and UK troops get a 2:1 deliberate attack against 4th Div., once again disabling 100+ squads. They'll try again tomorrow.

Ching Lee: He lives! He somehow ended up in command of DD Arrow, which has moderate damage. That ship will reach Viz tomorrow and I'll change commanders so that Lee can return to Akyab.

Tomorrow: The B-17s at Cox's and Calcutta are given orders to hit Mandalay airfield. The biggest hope is that they might destroy a handful of Tojos - either in the air or on the ground. The Allies need a break from that beast! Are John's Tojos worn out after a week of hard campaigning?

NoPac: The airfield at the former dot hex near Kodiak goes to level one. John's spidey senses probably aren't tingling in NoPac any longer, but there's an outside chance a good feint might have the desired effect.

CenPac: The two USN carriers are finally making progress again. They are four and five days, respectively, from being ready.

SoPac: More enemy subs near Auckland. John's really sniffing all around this theater. He hasn't caught wind of anything yet, but the slightest hint will set his warning bells to ringing. I think I'm going to use Hobart as a refueling station and to perhaps unload and combat load a few units. I am also considering Port Kembla, Newcastle, and possibly Wellington (the subs aren't there at the moment, it seems). The great majority of the combat units slated for the invasions are now on transports between Dunedin, NZ, and Tahiti. D-Day could be as soon as three weeks, though that may be pushing it just a bit.

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 1791
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 12:39:07 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: DTurtle
What are you planning to do to stop him setting up a defensive line there?

Nothing direct I can do to stop him from setting up a defensive line well behind his current line. There are indirect things - prep my units for key bases (many of mine are 100% prepped for Rangoon, Toungoo and Moulmein); move fast enough to threaten John's rear so that he has to retire in disarray; take air bases from which the Allies can effectively bomb ground troops; etc. But more likely than not John will set up a defensive line. I don't mind slow going in Burma. The main missions is effective attrition of his land, sea and air power. That machine is now humming - perhaps way too energetically for my air-arm.

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 1792
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 12:49:47 AM   
Canoerebel

Took a final look at the map and made a few adjustments.

The Allies have just 85 operational aircraft at Akyab - with 150 disabled and under repair!

I think I can fight with these numbers no more than two more days - and in doing so pretty much leaving all other bases undefended.

So, if John has the reserve strength to continue attacking... The most frightening thought is Akyab airfield getting shut down and all those disabled aircraft getting destroyed or just sitting there. I have nothing left anywhere in this theater.

So the next turn has a great deal of long-term importance. If John can't continue the fight, the Allies buy precious time to regroup. If he can...well, I'm not sure the Allies can stop him.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1793
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 1:23:42 AM   
Canoerebel

A quick final word. Looking over the Total Air Losses charts for the 9/6/42 and 9/16/42, I obtained the following info:

Total Allied planes downed: 287
Total IJ planes downed: 495

Here are some of the critical numbers:

P40E: 52
P39: 42
P400: 14
P38F: 18
P40K: 8
Hurr IIb: 36
Hurr IIc: 28
B17E: 18

Tojo: 150
Zero: 184
Kate: 69
Val: 53
Betty: 23
Nell: 34

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/15/2013 1:23:47 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1794
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 3:45:58 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Are John's Tojos worn out after a week of hard campaigning?

Hard to say. With an SR=1, they're pretty resilient little dudes. Very useful. Particularly so since the IJAAF can produce several hundred per month.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1795
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 5:31:25 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Are John's Tojos worn out after a week of hard campaigning?

Hard to say. With an SR=1, they're pretty resilient little dudes. Very useful. Particularly so since the IJAAF can produce several hundred per month.

Yes, an understated strength of Japan in the game in 1942. Better service rating for her fighters.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1796
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 5:33:23 AM   
BBfanboy

You might consider using an xAK or two to haul some of the most heavily damaged squadrons out of Akyab to Calcutta for repair.

About Ching Lee - when you say replace him, you know that you do not have to spend PPs, right? He is a TF commander so if you disband the DD at Viz, he will go into the pool again. If you make another DD TF with the damaged DD the ship's captain should be TF commander. No PPs expended.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1797
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 6:01:56 AM   
JeffroK

And he's 400 miles away from the action.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1798
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 12:30:55 PM   
Canoerebel

9/16/42

A great deal to report on (and some comments to reply to) in a quiet sort of way. That's good! Very good!

Battle of Assam: The Japanese airforce stands down. A few Tojos swept Cox's Bazaar, where there wasn't any CAP posted, but no strikes of any kind over beleaugered and vulnerable Akyab. The enemy carriers have moved west (true) into the middle Bay of Bengal in an effort to pick off damaged ships moving toward Viz. (I have some hard choices over how to allocate CAP - I think Akyab and Chittagong will get the vast majority with Viz getting perhaps 50 fighters). The Japanese have vacated two of the key jungle hexes. Two divisions are now in the hex with the Aussies (who drew full supply, so they should be fine until they leave the hex they are in). 41st USA Div. and 5th UK Bde. got 3:1 on 4th IJA Div., driving down AV to about zero, but only doing modest damage. The two Allied units drew full supply and will attack again tomorrow (the Brits will switch to shock). At this point, the Japanese have had three infantry divisions and one tank division battered and it seems that John is pulling back a bit. That's good.

The Underlying Skinny: Akyab airfield damage declines from 46/27 to 46/15. It's going to take some time got get it fully functioning. Total disabled fighters at my four main fields was 251 yesterday (most of that - 166 - at Akyab). Today that number is down to 210 (135 at Akyab). At the rate of 40 fixed per day, I need a good six days to totally rehabilitate my airforce. Of course, the Tojo may not give me that long. More about that below. I really hope John stands down again tomorrow.

China: Moderate IJ bombing raids turn after turn at Chengteh are driving up Chinese disablements that are oh-so-slow to repair. I may ultimately yield the hex to fight in the woods, which offer much better protection against bombers. I wish I could detach my two P-38F squadrons from Assam to ambush the unescorted bombers at Chengteh, but not until I'm sure Assam is safe again.

NoPac: Quiet.

CenPac: American carriers three and four days, repsectively, from being ready to depart Pearl.

SoPac/SWPac: The lead transports (carrying most of 1st Marine Div.) have passed NZ's south cape without any encounters with enemy subs. Many, many more to transit in coming days. All my TFs have replenished fuel at Tahiti, sucking dry many tankers. More tankers are inbound to Oz and Tasmania from Capetown. I think I have the fuel needed to handle the operation, though it's probably going to be a bit tight. Once the Battle of Assam is clearly over, I'll begin to lay out the plan for the upcoming invasion or invasions here. The Oz-based and NZ-based troops are in place. The necessary PP to buy restricted units are in place. All that's needed now are arrival of the carriers and the long train of transports inbound.

BBFanboy: That was a nifty suggestion that I'll remember! However, at this point better to leave my fighters where they are. At their current repair rate, the Allied fighters need about six days to return to full capacity. Also, Ching Lee is back in command of the New Orleans TF at Akyab.

Chickenboy: Yes, the Tojo is one gnarly, tough customer. That's why I tried so hard to create conditions in which John had to come to me (or would think he had to). With the meager replacement rates for Allied aircraft and the qualitative and quantitative advantages Japan enjoys with the Tojo (and other aircraft), about the best thing the Allies can do is try to efficiently attrit Japanese pilot quality. Since all these battles that past ten days have occured over Allied bases, John's pilot losses should be much higher. ON a separate note, just how many Tojos is John likely producing per month? I'm following another AAR in which the IJ player is producing 90...so are you serious when you say John can produce "several hundred"? The idea boggles.....

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1799
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/15/2013 12:48:35 PM   
bbbf

He can make several hundred or more, if he chooses. It's about what you prioritise and what the scenario's economics allow.

In my games, good fighters are always high priority and so I make lots of the best fighters available. In one game, I am producing 150 Georges and 500+ Franks per month, and am still packing HI away into the strategic reserve.

Robert Lee

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI