Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI unit placement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> After Action Reports >> AI unit placement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI unit placement - 1/16/2013 5:54:33 AM   
R 10

I have enjoyed the CC series from the very beginning and thank everyone involved for bringing this product line to life.

That said, PITF is another disapointment in one key area - initial AI unit placement. For example, given the historical record that the Germans in Normandy and this campaign made exceptional use of the terrain, camouflage and defensive positions, it is hard to comprehend how as soon as you hit "Begin," you're finding two 2-cm systems sitting side by side in an open field. Or a 7.5 cm pak in the backyard of french building surrounded on all sides by walls and hedgerows with no LOS what so ever.

Another thread provided a revealing idea about raising the level of difficulty in game play, but if the AI sets up its units poorly (and cerainly in contrast to historical records), you can give it as many units as you want and the game still suffers.

Any thoughts from the 'pros?' What am I doing wrong here?
Post #: 1
RE: AI unit placement - 1/23/2013 5:42:19 AM   
petersolo

There is nothing you can do. You will always beat the AI. It is impossible to programme an AI to respond to the literally thousands of ways a human mind can play this game. Playing against the AI is just practice. You need to play h2h either directly or through gameranger.

When I play against my cousin the games absolutely shine. They are the best WW2 tactical pc games hands down. I have been a fan since CC1.

Peter

(in reply to R 10)
Post #: 2
RE: AI unit placement - 5/20/2013 1:00:00 AM   
Jagdhund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Range 10

I have enjoyed the CC series from the very beginning and thank everyone involved for bringing this product line to life.

That said, PITF is another disapointment in one key area - initial AI unit placement. For example, given the historical record that the Germans in Normandy and this campaign made exceptional use of the terrain, camouflage and defensive positions, it is hard to comprehend how as soon as you hit "Begin," you're finding two 2-cm systems sitting side by side in an open field. Or a 7.5 cm pak in the backyard of french building surrounded on all sides by walls and hedgerows with no LOS what so ever.

Another thread provided a revealing idea about raising the level of difficulty in game play, but if the AI sets up its units poorly (and cerainly in contrast to historical records), you can give it as many units as you want and the game still suffers.

Any thoughts from the 'pros?' What am I doing wrong here?

I tend to edit the enemy troop composition to make it more challenging. I rarely give it AT gun unless I have tanks. I usually give them 2-3 mortars as it uses them effectively. For example in the longest day I don't have the americans use tanks until most/all of the german AT guns are dead.

(in reply to R 10)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> After Action Reports >> AI unit placement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI