Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't Play SPWAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can't Play SPWAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't Play SPWAW - 2/15/2001 8:15:00 AM   
David Brown

Hope someone can help. I've downloaded and nstalled SPWAW and all indications hsow a successful download and setup. When I click on the SPWAW icon I get the SSI screen, the crdits, and movie runs.....then when I hit enter to play, or hit the play "button"...everything blinks several times, goes blamk on occasion, then am booted back to windows. In other words.....it won't run. I operate a Compaq Presario, PII, with 48 meg of SDRAM, Win98 2nd Ed. upgrade, all porgrams shut down except for Explorer and Systray when I begin the SPWAW run, plenty of room on my HD (over 6 gig remaining), run DirectX 6+ (not sure...it may be 7 now), have no problems running SP3, or many other games. One note: I currently do not have my sound card up and running in this machine, and really do not want sound at this time. So, okay what gives? Why can't I run the game....or make it play. I mean....when I get the credits, and the opening movie, etc., you would think that it would run / play. HEELLLLLLPPP!!!!!!!

Post #: 1
- 2/15/2001 8:28:00 AM   
BlitzSS

In SPWAW and all its predicessors is you need a sound card. Unless someone has found a way around this, you probably need the sound card and drivers.

"Nuts"

(in reply to David Brown)
Post #: 2
- 2/15/2001 8:39:00 AM   
BruceAZ

After you click on the game icon, hit the escape key to go to the game. Also check the size of the game and make sure you downloaded all of its compaonents. It should be 360,712,066 in size and the update is 8,970,240. If this does not solve your problem then check your sound card. Good luck. When you get it running you will find out how great it is! Bruce Semper Fi ------------------ "The most important element in war is man. And there are no tougher men than my China Marines." Major Gen. Archer 'Archy' Vandegrift, 1st Marine Division

Post #: 3
- 2/15/2001 4:08:00 PM   
appunk

I had this same problem after I downloaded SPWAW. What worked for me, and what you may want to try, is to download the most recent driver for your video card. Just go to the site for the card manufacturer, and you should be able to find such a driver. Then download and install the driver, restart your computer, and try running the game again. I hope it works!

Post #: 4
- 2/15/2001 5:38:00 PM   
Infanterie

Definitely a sound card problem, I would say. If you don't have any available slots in your machine, I have no idea how to get around this... Oh, and I've also found out that Compaq's (especially other than newest models) are notorious of not being the most compatible and stable platforms for gaming. ------------------ "The bravery of being out of range..."

"The bravery of being out of range..."

Post #: 5
- 2/15/2001 5:52:00 PM   
Infanterie

Being a tad bit off-topic, I'd like to add that motherboard integrated parts (considering display adapter and sound card) and not always up-to-date driver support is a cancer in computer industry. This is not a flame, by the way. ------------------ "The bravery of being out of range..."

"The bravery of being out of range..."

Post #: 6
- 2/15/2001 9:15:00 PM   
David Brown

Thanks for the responses. Several have stated that it is probably the sound card, I would imagine this to be the root cause of the malfunction. Especially since I have the latest vid driver, plus others, already loaded, and nothing else worked. Funny, I don't seem to recall any other game having this as such an integral function that you could not disable sound and play the game (too bad that they programmed it that way). And I have the sound card out as I have a LAN card installed instead for my high speed cable modem service. I did check the downloaded files again and I'm not sure I got the entire game as both the donloaded .exe, and the game .exe seemed to be different from the file size posted. I've read some other comments on this BB about that. There is another computer available in my home office and I think that I'll do another download to that one and try the install again. It does have a sound card in it, but it's a little slower machine. Again, thanks to all who responded.

Post #: 7
- 2/15/2001 9:43:00 PM   
Mark Ezra

Hi David: Welcome to the community. I hope you keep trying. There are a lot of guys here who can help you get up and running, so keep trying and keep posting. Let us all know when your up and running.. Good Luck Mark Ezra

All Hail Marx and Lennon

Post #: 8
- 2/16/2001 7:18:00 AM   
Cyric

I had similar problem with my IBM Aptiva PS1 It was all because i didn't have my soundcard up and running. SKukko told me it was the fault. SPWAW stared working just fine after i fixed my problems with soundcard.

Post #: 9
- 2/18/2001 11:49:00 AM   
MrPlow

This bug was introduced in the v4.5 update. I've been running SPWaW v2 - v4.4 fine with 1997 vintage audio/video cards on a 200MHz/32MB machine. The v4.5 update to mech.exe caused the flashing graphics and bailout to Windows. I renamed mechv44.exe back to mech.exe, kept all the other v4.5 OOB/pic/icon updates, and was able to load SPWaW again. I think it's a memory problem. Hope Matrix pays attention and cleans up v4.6/v5.0. Who needs all the fancy graphics, anyway? Maybe a Half-Life fanatic, but not anybody who's still playing WIR under DOS after all these years.

Post #: 10
- 2/18/2001 1:44:00 PM   
David Heath

Can you give me a little more detail on when and were it sends you when the game fails.

Post #: 11
- 2/18/2001 1:53:00 PM   
David Brown

I am booted back to my desktop, with the SPWAW start up window showing. It that enough to go on. Also, why was the game designed to only run if a sound card is installed. This seems an odd thing to do, if indeed it is true.

Post #: 12
- 2/18/2001 11:19:00 PM   
David Heath

Do you get a chance to select anything in the game. Also what type of PC do you have and available Ram and free HD Space.

Post #: 13
- 2/19/2001 1:00:00 AM   
David Brown

There is no chance to do any kind of settings, to do anything at all period. Nor from the opening / start SPAWW window does it show any type of Options, or Preferences, section otherwise I would have gone there first. As stated, when I hit play the SSI logo comes up in full screen, the credits, and background movie run, then hitting enter (someone earlier had suggested hitting esc. but that did not do anything) I go back (after the screen flashes several times) to my Windows desktop. No time for anything else, nothing to set (from what I can tell), etc.

Post #: 14
- 2/19/2001 2:55:00 AM   
David Heath

David run just the MECH.EXE file and let me know what happens. Also what is your PC, Ram, and Free Hard Drive space.

Post #: 15
- 2/19/2001 3:10:00 AM   
David Brown

David, I've covered the hardware, OS, RAM, and HD capacity issues in my first post. If that info is unclear then please let me know (I'll also share any other pertinent info on system if needed). I have cleared the game from my HD in anticipation of doing another download of it.......wanted to do this to see what would happen. I will download this afternoon, reinstall, and try the mech.exe (I did try running the SPAWW.exe and the same problem occurred). If you would like to do a direct email exchange for further correspondence my email is drbrown@satx.rr.com. Or, we can continue on the BB. We're still on topic, but it seems to be getting more in depth than what the rest of the BB covers. If we find a solution, and there is anyone else who has a similar problem, we can always respond appropriately to those fine people. I'm open. I'll let you know later today what happens. Thanks, and lets hope we get this show on the proverbial road. ------------------

Post #: 16
- 2/19/2001 6:10:00 AM   
David Brown

Okay David. I completed the new download. Installed again. Went to my C drive and opened to MatrixGames folder. Found mech.exe and cliked on it....screen went dark, white cursor appeared, then screen went blank, and bingo...back at Windows Desktop. And that's how that one goes. I noticed a few minutes ago that someone else has posted almost the exact problem, as of today, on this BB. ------------------

Post #: 17
- 2/19/2001 6:44:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi David I need to look into this.... Mt Mom has a Compaq and going to try it on her machine.

Post #: 18
- 2/19/2001 11:04:00 AM   
MrPlow

Dell Dimension XPS M200s Intel 430VX chipset Pentium MMX 200MHz 32MB 66MHz SDRAM Matrox Millenium II 4MB & Matrox m3D Creative Sound Blaster 16 (integrated) Windows 95 v4.00.1212 B MS-DOS v7.10 A DirectX v7.0 ~500MB HD freespace SPWAW v4.4 all copacetic now install v4.5 update invoke SPWAW.exe (either directly or shortcut, fullscreen or window) shows logos & rolling credits ESC this invokes mech.exe which immediately ABENDs and exits to windows invoke autorun.exe (either directly or shortcut, fullscreen or window) shows main menu select Play SPWAW this invokes SPWAW.exe shows logos & rolling credits ESC this invokes mech.exe which immediately ABENDs and exits to main menu (thus looping back to main menu each time) invoke mech.exe (either directly or shortcut, full screen or window) immediately ABENDs and exits to windows rename mechv44.exe back to mech.exe - all OK v4.5 mech.exe doesn't work for certain user configurattions. So what was changed besides game elements? Does the VCR feature now require updated audio/video cards/drivers? DirectX v8? ??

Post #: 19
- 2/19/2001 11:11:00 AM   
David Brown

Mr.Plow, Where can I find version 4.4? It does not seem to be in the downloads secion on the Matrix site. Or am I missing something? DB

Post #: 20
- 2/19/2001 12:09:00 PM   
MrPlow

Yes, Matrix seems to have cleaned out their archives. They issued the v4.4 update in Dec, I think. Each update thoughtfully backs up the previous mech.exe to mechvxx.exe for fallback. Individual updates up to v4.5 from a base prior to v4.0 are still at http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_downloads.htm But you still need a base - I installed a fresh v3 base from the CD in the October 2000 issue of PC Gamer magazine and have been updating it ever since. You might download the v4.4 update from fprado and extract the mech.exe module for use with your v4.5 base. That combo works best for me.

Post #: 21
- 2/19/2001 3:49:00 PM   
Fozzie

I don't know if it's related but I had a directdraw error for a while which happened right after the splash screen which would crash me to the desktop. I found out after much trial and error that the monitor driver that my computer defaulted to couldn't go to 800x600 resolution and this was causing the crash. I just went to the display properties and selected a different monitor type that would enable 800x600 and that fixed it right up.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can't Play SPWAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI