Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Couple of supply questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Couple of supply questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Couple of supply questions - 5/23/2013 4:20:40 PM   
Flicker

Do navigable rivers deliver supply? If so can they be blockaded?

I'm curious because my Chinese are besieging Japanese-held Hankow, which has a port on the Yangtze River. I control 4 of the 6 hexsides. While the turn is running, I think I've seen shipping icons in Hankow (which only appear during the run) - are the Japanese sending ships or is it a supply feature or should I lay off the beer?

Also, I think I'm building up my supply network by expanding ports / airfields on major routes (rail lines / roads - e.g. from Sydney to Port Augusta to Darwin - same technique in India and CONUS). Will this improve supply? I'm working on improving the network by building each city / base to at least a size '3' with plans to further improve the network to size '5'. Does having troops / base forces in a base help move supply along?

< Message edited by Flicker -- 5/23/2013 5:12:06 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/23/2013 4:26:38 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flicker

I'm curious because my Chinese are besieging Japanese-held Hankow, which has a port on the Yangtze River. I control 6 of the 8 hexsides. While the turn is running, I think I've seen shipping icons in Hankow (which only appear during the run) - are the Japanese sending ships or is it a supply feature or should I lay off the beer?

Also, I think I'm building up my supply network by expanding ports / airfields on major routes (rail lines / roads - e.g. from Sydney to Port Augusta to Darwin - same technique in India and CONUS). Will this improve supply? I'm working on improving the network by building each city / base to at least a size '3' with plans to further improve the network to size '5'. Does having troops / base forces in a base help move supply along?

As Japan you can send AKLs up the Yangtze with supplies, resources, etc. I'm not sure if anything bigger can make the trip.

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 2
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/23/2013 4:29:56 PM   
HexHead

Does having troops / base forces in a base help move supply along?

That is a real good question - dunno, wondered myself (I gotta reread the manual someday).

For the rest, I would guess, dunno fer sure, that if the controlling side has a Port there, it can send suitable (i. e., ones that can go upriver) vessels to the Port to resupply, etc.

One example - battleships (BBs) cannot berth at Calcutta - too big for the Hooghly river.

"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 3
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/23/2013 6:14:28 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

quote:

I'm curious because my Chinese are besieging Japanese-held Hankow, which has a port on the Yangtze River. I control 6 of the 8 hexsides. While the turn is running, I think I've seen shipping icons in Hankow (which only appear during the run) - are the Japanese sending ships or is it a supply feature or should I lay off the beer?

As Japan you can send AKLs up the Yangtze with supplies, resources, etc. I'm not sure if anything bigger can make the trip.

This is my preferred method of supplying China, as it delivers the supplies more centrally at Hankow/Wuchang.

For the OP - you should really read Alfred's Logistics 101 thread. You can force bases to draw more supply by changing the required amount. The base will then attempt to draw supply from anywhere else that has more than 3 times supply required and that it is connected to by a road or railroad (that last part I'm only mostly sure of).

Each "Command" (theater) has an HQ with the same title. Supply in excess of what your bases need will by default pool there. E.g., when I dump 50k supply in China via the Yangtze River, which is under China Expeditionary Army, the excess supply will flow to wherever I have the unit HQ China Expeditionary Army stationed. In my current game, that's in Changsha, so extra supply just sits there. I'm not sure if it's recommended, but I like to move these HQ units to central positions so that supply is in a central place (like Changsha instead of Shanghai, where the CEA HQ starts).

But you should really go read that thread. Here is the link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 4
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/24/2013 8:42:31 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You can force bases to draw more supply by changing the required amount. The base will then attempt to draw supply from anywhere else that has more than 3 times supply required and that it is connected to by a road or railroad (that last part I'm only mostly sure of).

Supply will go anywhere but how much depends upon the terrain. You can see how much and where by selecting a base and hitting the 5 key to show supply distribution from the base.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/24/2013 10:44:58 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

quote:

In game, vessels up to 15,000 tons can steam up navigable rivers. That's most merchant vessels, and combatants up to (and including some small) CLs/CAs.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 6
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/24/2013 1:13:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

quote:

quote:

In game, vessels up to 15,000 tons can steam up navigable rivers. That's most merchant vessels, and combatants up to (and including some small) CLs/CAs.

I remember seeing red ship icons huddled in the middle of China in my first AI game and thinking it was a graphics bug. Then I realized it wasn't and that was one of those "This is a great game!" moments.

The Moose

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 7
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/24/2013 5:16:17 PM   
Flicker

Thank you all for commenting.

Hankow - the detection is improving, so I see the ships now whereas before the ships appeared on the screen for only an instant. My specific problem at Hankow is that I sent units in move mode from the hex east of Wuchang on the 46 mile movement across the Yangtze - but they moved through Wuchang and not through the river hex (still only 46 miles). I'm trying again with another unit only this time the 46 mile movement is in combat mode. I want to control that hexside so the Japanese can't retreat and also so they can't receive supply coming in through that hexside. Even if I control all the hexsides I think that the Japanese will be able to send ships to the port.

That was kind of my question - does a navigable river improve the automatic delivery of supply? Is the river like a road or railroad? According to the ground movement table (referred to in Alfred's link), a railroad / road allows for faster / better movement of supply, and an enemy unit astride the rail / road impedes the automatic delivery of supply (contested hex). Since 'Navigable River' isn't mentioned perhaps supply doesn't flow along the rivers. However there is supply that moves automatically around islands.

Build infrastructure question - larger bases don't suffer from as much supply spoilage as smaller bases, so building up a base from airfield size 1 to airfield 3 seems like it might improve the supply network by reducing spoilage. I am building up bases located on critical railways / roads - does this improve my supply network? I know that building up 'safe' bases will improve my score, but I want to improve my logistics where possible. Will building each base to AF size 3 along the railroads between Sidney and Port Augusta / Alice Springs, as well as along the roads / rails from Alice Springs to Darwin improve the automatic supply network to Darwin? I've been investing a lot of engineers into this project and would like to know that I'm not wasting their time... I'm doing the same in India (rail bases from Bombay to Calcutta to Ledo) and the US / Canada rail bases.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 8
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/24/2013 5:39:10 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

That was kind of my question - does a navigable river improve the automatic delivery of supply? Is the river like a road or railroad?

Rivers do not influence automatic supply movement. This solely depends on road/railroad connections to the hexsides, and the type of terrain.
(FWIIW, rivers are not "type of terrain" in this regard)

quote:

Build infrastructure question - larger bases don't suffer from as much supply spoilage as smaller bases, so building up a base from airfield size 1 to airfield 3 seems like it might improve the supply network by reducing spoilage. I am building up bases located on critical railways / roads - does this improve my supply network? I know that building up 'safe' bases will improve my score, but I want to improve my logistics where possible. Will building each base to AF size 3 along the railroads between Sidney and Port Augusta / Alice Springs, as well as along the roads / rails from Alice Springs to Darwin improve the automatic supply network to Darwin? I've been investing a lot of engineers into this project and would like to know that I'm not wasting their time... I'm doing the same in India (rail bases from Bombay to Calcutta to Ledo) and the US / Canada rail bases.

In India I would propose against it, as the reilroad network alone will suffice. Railroads have close to no wastage on supply pull, so the distances you can pull supplies across are enourmous. Basically it is not worth the effort, more so as you need engineers for more important tasks.

Australia is another story, as the road network is worse. It will help to increase the supply stock at the built up bases before wastage starts, but without also upping the supply requirements at those bases it does not help much.

But besides automatic supply flow, there is a tactic to get large ammounts of supplies over distances where supply flow usually is low, or wastage high:
Up the ammount of supplies required at a base (do not forget that the actual supplies requested there is suplies required times 3) and wait for the supply stock to build up. After a certain ammount is reached, lower the suplies required gradually again, and up the supplies required on the next base on the way, and so forth, until you have reached the desired destination. Obviousely, the larger a base, the higher you can set the base requirements before supplies are wasted.

(in reply to Flicker)
Post #: 9
RE: Couple of supply questions - 5/24/2013 6:09:39 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

But besides automatic supply flow, there is a tactic to get large ammounts of supplies over distances where supply flow usually is low, or wastage high:
Up the ammount of supplies required at a base (do not forget that the actual supplies requested there is suplies required times 3) and wait for the supply stock to build up. After a certain ammount is reached, lower the suplies required gradually again, and up the supplies required on the next base on the way, and so forth, until you have reached the desired destination. Obviousely, the larger a base, the higher you can set the base requirements before supplies are wasted.

Think of it as your esophaegus, squeezing the food down from top to bottom. Or a pump. I've been doing this to get supplies into Burma from India and it works.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Couple of supply questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI