Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 1/3/2003 11:41:06 PM   
rbrunsman

I read LOTR every 10 years or so (the only books I read more than once, besides the Dune series, of which I am reading the last one, House Corrino, now) and I have to say I was a little disappointed. I can't exactly put my finger on why I was disappointed. I guess it could be that I expected too much.

Dune would be great to be redone. There have been 2 attempts at it and they both sucked. IIRC, there are 2 previous versions of LOTRs and they both sucked too, so maybe the third times the charm for Dune also. I doubt it though because Frank Herbert's universe is far more complex than Tolkein's.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 31
- 1/8/2003 2:21:48 AM   
screamer

they are great, both of em mister Jackson is writing movie history.
But my brother should hurry up with the book of 2towers, he is ''reading'' for 6months now so i didnt get the chance to read the book before seeing the movie. I was a bit disappointed about fellowship because the didnt include the part about the living forrest with the singing chap [forgot his name, anyway i would only know his name in dutch] and about the gravehills.

is the silmarillion worth buying??

poep

Post #: 32
- 1/8/2003 2:26:06 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]is the silmarillion worth buying??[/QUOTE]

Yes, for sure, if you like Tolkien, but it can be hard to follow at times ;).

Post #: 33
- 1/8/2003 2:36:27 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by screamer
[B]they are great, both of em mister Jackson is writing movie history.
But my brother should hurry up with the book of 2towers, he is ''reading'' for 6months now so i didnt get the chance to read the book before seeing the movie. I was a bit disappointed about fellowship because the didnt include the part about the living forrest with the singing chap [forgot his name, anyway i would only know his name in dutch] and about the gravehills.

is the silmarillion worth buying?? [/B][/QUOTE]

Tom Bombadil was his name IIRC and he would have been great to have in the movie for sure. We call gravehills, "barrows" in English (if you care).

I didn't like Silmarillion as a kid. Maybe I should give it another try.

Post #: 34
- 1/15/2003 12:18:04 AM   
Hoplosternum

Well I did NOT like Two Towers :)

Perhaps I am just too much of a Tolkien fan but the film just made huge changes for changes sake. They have changed a lot of the characters motivations and personalities usually for the worse. Faramir, Theoden, Treebeard and Elrond all got the treatment this time round.

The first film made some big changes too but at least it kept up a good pace as an action movie. Most of the changes seemed to be made to help keep the story a manageable length and keeping up the excitement. I did not like everything that was done but I understood why most of the changes were made.

This one kept swapping around between the story lines and dream sequences and I found it quite confusing at times. Most of the changes just made the story worse. Faramir is bad and greedy not good and wise. Why? It did not add to the excitement, shorten the film or add to the plot for none Tolkein fans. For those who liked and know the book it just irritates.

Some bits were just awful. The charge down a 45 degree slope at the end and Legolas's surfboarding down the stairs firing arrows - oh dear ;) Well at least you could laugh at them :)

It was not all bad, the Ents attack on Isenguard was good and so were some of the fight scenes. I thought Gollum was well done. In the book he does appear to have a chance of redemption and the film did that quite well.

For those of you wondering about the Simarilion it is more of a history book containing a few short stories. I really like it but I think you would have to be a fan of Tolkien to get much out of it. If you read the history appendixes at the end of The Return of the King (LotR last book) and liked them then you will love the Silmarilion. If you hated them or never bothered to look then don't bother.

Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote