Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Barbarossa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Barbarossa - 6/22/2013 8:55:27 PM   
RandomAttack

I've leveled my fair share of criticism at ToF, but with the latest patch and some mods/tweaks for my personal preferences, it is only fair to also give some "positive waves" too.

Preface: I'm really "only" using this configuration to play the Axis on the Eastern Front, so most my tweaks, house rules, etc., are to account for that. I am playing the "minor" allies also-- otherwise they cause more problems than help.

After a couple of turns, I was doing so well "everywhere" that it was almost impossible for me to set an objective and stick to it. Even though I KNEW it would be folly to try for everything at once, it was still SO tempting. I was Juggernaut! Nonetheless, I decided to really focus on Leningrad, secondarily in the center, and just do what I could in the south. Thank goodness I did, because within a few more turns HORDES of Russian infantry showed up.

I could quibble that the AI didn't deploy all it's forces the way I would have, but it had so MANY forces... And it ruthlessly maneuvered to cut off my supply at every opportunity. I don't think I had a single weak spot that it didn't at least TRY and exploit.

Bottom Line is that I captured Leningrad on turn 20, and Moscow on turn 30. But it was white-knuckles the whole way. A few different die rolls and I could easily have been delayed several more turns at least-- which might have stopped me altogether. At the end of Jan 1942, I was surprised to see the "shape" of my lines were almost EXACTLY that of the historical-- just about 6 hexes further east...

Anyway, it was a very tense campaign and a heck of a lot of fun. This is now my favorite game to scratch that "Eastern Front" itch. Kudos!
Post #: 1
RE: Barbarossa - 6/22/2013 9:26:29 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: RandomAttack
I've leveled my fair share of criticism at ToF, but with the latest patch and some mods/tweaks for my personal preferences, it is only fair to also give some "positive waves" too.

Preface: I'm really "only" using this configuration to play the Axis on the Eastern Front, so most my tweaks, house rules, etc., are to account for that. I am playing the "minor" allies also-- otherwise they cause more problems than help.

After a couple of turns, I was doing so well "everywhere" that it was almost impossible for me to set an objective and stick to it. Even though I KNEW it would be folly to try for everything at once, it was still SO tempting. I was Juggernaut! Nonetheless, I decided to really focus on Leningrad, secondarily in the center, and just do what I could in the south. Thank goodness I did, because within a few more turns HORDES of Russian infantry showed up.

I could quibble that the AI didn't deploy all it's forces the way I would have, but it had so MANY forces... And it ruthlessly maneuvered to cut off my supply at every opportunity. I don't think I had a single weak spot that it didn't at least TRY and exploit.

Bottom Line is that I captured Leningrad on turn 20, and Moscow on turn 30. But it was white-knuckles the whole way. A few different die rolls and I could easily have been delayed several more turns at least-- which might have stopped me altogether. At the end of Jan 1942, I was surprised to see the "shape" of my lines were almost EXACTLY that of the historical-- just about 6 hexes further east...

Anyway, it was a very tense campaign and a heck of a lot of fun. This is now my favorite game to scratch that "Eastern Front" itch. Kudos!

I feel the same, the AI may not play like a human player, but it does act like the historical Soviet side and provides a realistic feel to the game.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 2
RE: Barbarossa - 6/22/2013 11:00:22 PM   
gwgardner

Now try using historical panzer groups. With historical goals. Don't allow any of the panzer groups to borrow from the others until after Smolensk, when you can force some of the panzers from Army Group Center to go south.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 3
RE: Barbarossa - 6/23/2013 1:04:25 AM   
RandomAttack

But...but...I was barely winning as it is! I don't want to LOSE.

I'll compromise and leave my one Klingon Panzer Corps (with cloaking device) behind in Poland. Unless I really really need it.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
RE: Barbarossa - 6/23/2013 6:27:36 AM   
baloo7777

quote:

I had everything going like you said, EXCEPT that focus part...oops, the hordes are starting in late Nov 41 and I don't quite have Leningrad...and um, I shifted Panzers to the center, and um, they are mostly about 50% or so...(I am so much better at counter-attacking than being a good planner of an offense)...and even though I am getting a lot of PP's, I can't afford to pull many units out to send back to East Prussia for full refit/resupply. I think either this scenario is realistic, or possibly I'm kinda historic in not sticking to my original plan?!

JRR

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Barbarossa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI