Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 6:02:22 AM   
Cribtop

He's coming. Not much more you can do except sound General Quarters. I still predict you win.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2761
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 1:37:38 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Medan should fall quickly.

Clear terrain should make a very big difference in the outcome of this battle.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2762
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 1:54:46 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, the Allies should take Medan in good order, but the terrain will work both ways. John will be able to use bombardment to very good effect. Figuring out how to defend Medan - once I take it - has been one of my chief tasks over the past four or five days.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2763
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 4:11:16 PM   
Cribtop

My thoughts:

1) Take Tandjoen, that will help defend Medan.

2) Turn Medan into a nest of mines, PT boats, and Fletcher DDs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2764
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 5:44:05 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Yeah, the Allies should take Medan in good order, but the terrain will work both ways. John will be able to use bombardment to very good effect. Figuring out how to defend Medan - once I take it - has been one of my chief tasks over the past four or five days.

You could also move most of your LCUs OUT of the Medan hex into the adjoining non-coastal hex, so his bombardments will not mess them up. If he messes up the troops remaining in hex, rotate them out for one of the undisrupted LCUs. All good when he does not have any troops of his own in hex. The only drawback is not being able to use the outlying LCU engineers to build the base.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2765
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 7:14:00 PM   
Canoerebel

I want Tandjoen, but I think John will reinforce so strongly that trying may end up being counterproduction - IE, I'm going to give it a hard look, but I don't want to deplete my divisions if the effort will be vain. My main plan is basically what BBFanboy lays out.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2766
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 7:36:50 PM   
Canoerebel

11/27/42 - D+17, Operation Des Wallace

The kettle is boiling - the lid's about to come off - quiet possible the penultimate moment of the game. Zoiks!

Bottom Line: To win, Japan must win a decisive naval engagement and thus interdict the Allied LOC. The Allies, in contrast, need only avoid losing a decisive naval engagement. As I read it, the Allies therefore don't need to press matters and aren't forced to give battle on terms and grounds of Japan's choosing.

Malacca Straits: Violent activity here - both sides have mines and subs and lots of combat ships, with airfields in close proximity. John sends a big CA TF (four including Mogami) to bombard Langsa to little effect. On retiring, this TF encounters the CA Quincy TF. Neither side delivers decisive blows, but I think the Allies come out the better. Quincy has 18 SYS damage, but the entire TF will remain at Sabang since the decisive moment is here. But this was a promising encounter - if the Allies can hold their own in a major clash like this, Japan is in for a dark time. So John has at least four CAs and the Yamato TF in the Straits. He also landed a FT TF at Phuket (part of 48th Div) which failed in it's attack. Out in the Nicobars, another para assault against a second Allied base fails. SigInt that more enemy troops are inbound to Victoria Point. I'd like to interdict, but I think I need to keep all my combat ships close to Sabang for the next few turns.

Sumatra and the Seas: The Allies have arrived at Medan in force. Unless John has a surprise reinforcement planned, the base should fall tomorrow. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't moved yet in force on Nias or Sinabang. Out in the IO to the NW of Sabang, enemy subs picked off a few more xAK. The Allied carriers are out here and I think relatively remote. I don't see how John could push the KB far enough in one day to obtain battle. I'm pondering moving some of my carrier fighter air to Sabang, whose airfield went to 5.91. I don't think John's ships can penetrate the mass of Allied combat ships at Sabang. I think he may try, though, hoping that massed sweeps can overcome my own CAP so that his bombers can wreak havoc on the shipping there. So sending in additional fighters sounds like a good idea.

Malaya: 18th UK Div. has to basically stand on its own at Alor Star for now. If John wins the looming battle for the seas, Alor Star is neutered anyway. But if the Allies win, they should be able to strongly reinforce and supply Alor Star.

Foaming and Frothing? Judging Johnny OpSec's email comments, he's coming now. At a minimum, Japan is about to unleash some deviltry. I wish I was absolutely certain of winning the clash, of course, but at least I feel that the Allied position is configured about as strongly as it can be. The Allies certainly have a decent shot at winning.

Burma: 12th IJA Div. pushes back to Indian brigades from the road near Schwebo. The Allied forces have flooded to the lower end of the plains, but I'm not sure John is withdrawing. Well, he has certainly withdrawn most or all of three divisions, but that still leaves him with plenty to fight with.

Colombo: The yards are filled with attrition's flotsam. I have ten DDs in various stages of repair (all will be ready in less than 10 days) plus two cruisers: New Orleans (ready in 25 days) and Pensacola (60 days). Mauritius and Boise will be ready in 15 and 60 days, respectively. Several CAs including Frosbisher, Hawkins, Dorsetshire and Vincennes are inbound from Capetown.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2767
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 9:19:26 PM   
BBfanboy

Seems likely he will send several SCTFs to Sabang via the Malacca Straits while throwing his LBA and KB at the area. Concentrating all your SCTFs like that should hold him from bombarding or hitting shipping at Sabang. You seem to have your bases covered and should do as well as random die rolls will allow ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2768
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 9:21:50 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm still wrestling with a tough decision - do I move one or two carrier fighter squadrons to Sabang to beef up fighters to roughly 275? If so, I have to pull the carrier back to Ceylon to keep them safely away from the front lines. Or, do I keep the carriers intact and relatively close to Sabang (about 15 hexes)?

Judging by John's email comments, he's coming with something big next turn. Major air attack; major sea attack; KB; or combination thereof. I don't need my carriers in proxmity to deal with any of those contingenies, I suppose, and would actually prefer to keep them further away. So I think the answer is to divert a couple of fighter squadrons to Sabang.

Now, let's see if I've convinced myself.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2769
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 9:32:08 PM   
Nemo121

To win he needs to sink your CVs. To win strategically you need not to lose the CVs since your SLOCs will be secure due to his need to re provision his CVs from time to time.

It simply doesn't make sense to me for the Allied CVs to risk fighting when fighting risks all but gains so little. I'd beach all the CV planes and invite the naval clashes as he tries to bombard + the attrition of KB when he grows frustrated and commits it vs land bases ( a major strategic error in this situation).

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2770
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 9:38:06 PM   
paullus99

I agree with Nemo - John wants to hit your carriers & will do so to the detriment of all us. If you can fade and move, fade and move, it will frustrate him to the point where he will continue to make strategic mistakes.....

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2771
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 9:54:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Okay, that makes sense. So I did it. Two of the best carrier F4F-4 squadrons move to Sabang, beefing up CAP there to 325 fighters. The bulk of these are 4-Model Wildcats and P40-K piloted by my best. If they can't do the job, nobody can. Tomorrow, the field goes to level six, which will allow me to base even more fighters there. As it is, I'm probably pushing the envelope a bit.

The carriers will move further north, towards Ceylon, taking station 22 hexes from Sabang - a distance sufficient to recover the F4F-4s at Sabang or to contribute more tomorrow.'

If John sends in a major part of his combat fleet, I'm pretty confident that the Allies can hold their own, though it could be a very bloody night. My major concern is getting overwhelmed by a combination of land-based and carrier-based air. But the fleet will stay in place since there's really no other option. Gotta fight for Sabang.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 2772
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 9:57:25 PM   
Nemo121

What is your actual situation re: CVs, CVLs etc? I've forgotten what you have available.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2773
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 10:16:12 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

the field goes to level six

Any other airfields underway? If so what level?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2774
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 10:34:45 PM   
Canoerebel

The main Allied carrier group consists of the six big USN CVs and the RN's Illustrious and Hermes.

At Sibang are CVEs Long Island and Copahee, each carrying relatively small Marine Buffalo squadrons.

The other Allied CVEs are gainfully employed elsewhere (far, far away).

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2775
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 10:37:49 PM   
Canoerebel

The only two airbases currently operational are Sabang (which goes to level 6 tomorrow) and Langsa (level 2). Lots of dot hexes are supporting PBY squadrons, so the Allies have great patrol coverage. If the Allies win the pending battle/battles/campaign, I plan to build up the fields at Sinabang, Medan and Phuket, plus also Nias and the island south of Phuket.

The Allies also have Alor Star, currently a level 4 field but without supply or base forces. Whether it becomes a major field depends on what happens over the next few days.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2776
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 10:42:52 PM   
Canoerebel

Speaking of which....I concentrated all my fighters at Sabang for reasons that should be obvious to folks patient enough to have read ths far. Just in case there's a major sea battle with damaged IJ ships left without CAP, I've posted a Marine AVG squadron and roughly 16 SBDs at Langsa. Langsa does have torps. :)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2777
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 10:59:54 PM   
princep01

Smack those LYBs with the jawbone of a jackass (I'm sure the righteous form of jackass will not be allowed).  Smite them on their heads with thy club of cedar.  Fell them with smooth flat river rocks between their eyes with thy slings.  Slag the poisonous vipers with thou chariots of fire.  Skurrer their ships with thy arrows of fire.  Free the lamenting peoples of Sumatra with thy pure and mighty legions.

Perhaps the culmination moment has arrived.  While luck always has its fickle role, good planning is a nice trump card to hold.

And now a word from our sponsor......Have you had your bowl of rice today?......   

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2778
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/7/2013 11:07:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

AMEN! TELL IT BROTHER, TELL IT!

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2779
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 12:05:58 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

AMEN! TELL IT BROTHER, TELL IT!

Yeah. And watch out for Mavis carrying torpedoes.

The Moose

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2780
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 1:51:36 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Smack those LYBs with the jawbone of a jackass (I'm sure the righteous form of jackass will not be allowed).  Smite them on their heads with thy club of cedar.  Fell them with smooth flat river rocks between their eyes with thy slings.  Slag the poisonous vipers with thou chariots of fire.  Skurrer their ships with thy arrows of fire.  Free the lamenting peoples of Sumatra with thy pure and mighty legions.

Perhaps the culmination moment has arrived.  While luck always has its fickle role, good planning is a nice trump card to hold.

And now a word from our sponsor......Have you had your bowl of rice today?......   

Skurrer?? Does that = skewer?? Have you been taking the popular Greyjoy Spelling Lessons Course too??
Et tu princep01? Then die, Engrish rangrage!

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2781
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 2:53:57 AM   
princep01

It was a purposely planted Greyjoyism to draw forth the spelling bee champion of Woodridge Park Elementary School....that must be BBfanboy:).

Meanwhile, I sit on the edge of my chair awaiting news from the Sumatra front.  The eyes of the world rest on John III and our illustious writer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2782
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 3:53:28 AM   
BBfanboy

There is a strategic purpose behind my nagging posts on spelling and choice of correct words - to increase CRs post count in the race to catch up to Greyjoy's numbers ...

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2783
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 4:12:44 AM   
Schlemiel

But why fight the enemy in the enemy's primary zone of (English language spelling in)competence? Surely we could generate posts with the witty tea-time observations of a Southern gentleman of letters?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2784
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 4:57:52 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

To win he needs to sink your CVs. To win strategically you need not to lose the CVs since your SLOCs will be secure due to his need to re provision his CVs from time to time.

It simply doesn't make sense to me for the Allied CVs to risk fighting when fighting risks all but gains so little. I'd beach all the CV planes and invite the naval clashes as he tries to bombard + the attrition of KB when he grows frustrated and commits it vs land bases ( a major strategic error in this situation).

Concur. He has to use his. You do not. A great position to be in as the Allies in 42.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2785
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 10:59:04 AM   
Canoerebel

Door Number One

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2786
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 11:09:11 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I'm still wrestling with a tough decision - do I move one or two carrier fighter squadrons to Sabang to beef up fighters to roughly 275?

One minor downside. Once those fighters show up in a combat report John will know that you have no intention of using your CV's.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2787
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 11:10:03 AM   
Canoerebel

11/28/42 - D+18, Operation Des Wallace

War drums soundings, cymbols crashing, the bright sounds of cutlery clattering as it drops to the floor....

Theater at Sea: Yamato and Musashi bombard Allied troops at Medan, causing major disruption to 32nd Div. An RN CA TF tangles with a massive amphibious TF trying to reinforce Phuket. Damage inflicted is lighter than I might have expected, but I also think the enemy ships had to retire without unloading. More mine hits. Some hot sub action for both sides. And all or part of the KB pops up SW of Sabang, picking off an xAK picket ship in the process.

Theater on Land: The Allied attack at Medan comes off at low odds despite overwhelming numbers, but does very high damage to the enemy (25 squads destroyed). I'd like to commit some cruiser TFs to protect the land troops, but this isn't the time to do it. I can sort out Medan once the picture clears a bit. If the Allies lose at sea, Medan may be an impossibility. If the Allies win at sea, Medan will fall (but heck, then entire Empire may then be on the verge of collapse). So job one is to maximize the chances for victory at sea.

Theater in Air: No major assaults today. Allied 4EB do a pretty good job of inflicting further damage to Port Blair airfield. I'm not positive, but I think John may not be able to use VP or Georgetown airfields in the coming action - especially the latter. Sabang airfield goes to 6.04, permitting additional carrier fighter squadrons to move in.

Does He or Doesn't He? It will be interesting to see if Bold John Cochran immediately attacks. While that's certainly possible, I think he'll be rather tentative, wanting the situation to further develop before he commits to action. He may be hoping against hope that I attack improvidently, thus impaling myself so that he doesn't have to do the same. He may also delight in dancing about while his bombardment TFs vex Medan. So be it. Eventually he's gotta come...and the Allies are growing stronger - more aircraft reinforcements and cruisers will be coming into play over the next few weeks.

Burma: The Japanese continue to retire down the coast road. Now the Allied army at Ramree can venture forth to join the campaign. John is not showing signs of wholescale retreat, but he's yeilding enough to give the Allies much more to work with. That's a major benefit of the Sumatra campaign - the Japanese have conceded two key jungle hexes that might have bottled up the entire Allied army in Burma for months.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2788
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 11:13:16 AM   
Canoerebel

John, you're right, but that probably just complicates John's situation. He should already know that he has to achieve battle and win, probably rather decisively. If he doesn't know this, he'll put it together soon. So, if the Allied carriers don't come out to play, how does he accomplish what he needs to do? He can straddle the LOC between Sabang and Colombo, but I have enough supply to last weeks or months as long as his airforce and combat ships don't take control, and given the array of Allied forces at Sabang, that should be pretty difficult.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2789
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 7/8/2013 5:22:27 PM   
Canoerebel

11/29/42 - D+19, Operation Des Wallace

At Sea: The Yamato/Musashi group bombards Medan again with modest affect (I think the TF will have to retire now to Singers to replenish). The KB (or something akin thereto) is west of Sabang, roughly 12 hexes. SigInt that 2nd IJA Div. is inbound to invade Sibolga, so the Japanese carriers main mission may be to provide protection for that force, though at any moment John could switch to the offensive. Kates do pick off AO Tan-2, while a sub finishes off an AO that had been damaged yesterday. Allied DD TFs are scheduled to patrol at Victoria Point, with a larger CA TF to provide cover tonight at Medan - if John forgets to check ammo....well, it's worth a shot.

On the Ground: Enemy paratroops take a second of the Nicobars. The Allies will counterinvade by APD. The Medan attack comes off as a high-end 1:1, drops forts from 3:1, and disables 70+ squads. This base should fall tomorrow. An Indian division is one day out. An element of a US Army RCT crossed a river west of Medan and ended up shock attacking 10th IJA Div. in the jungle. In one of the weirdest attacks I've ever seen, the Americans inflicted something like 325 casualties, took none of their own, but the unit then evaporated by attrition! At Sibolga, the Allies have a USA division that's somewhat reduced in strength (roughly 270 AV). It's about 40% prepped for Sibolga, which is jungle-rough terrain. Gonna be hard for Japan to take this base in the short or medium term. I think by the time John can overwhelm this garrison, the main issue shall have been decided.

In the Air: No major sorties on Sumatra. Enemy 2EB hit Cox's Bazaar hard, damaging some B-25s and roughing up the airfield. Sabang airfield goes to 6.16, an increase of .12; so, roughly 7 to 8 days to reach level 7. Then the engineers will devote time to the airfield and port facilities equally. Supply limit is up to 153k (started at 53k) and the current supplies at the base are 220k.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/8/2013 5:23:04 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2790
Page:   <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  91 92 [93] 94 95   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI