Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  681 682 [683] 684 685   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 12:31:38 PM   
fodder

INP!

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 20461
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 2:16:59 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Hi Steve,

I'm finishing up the second volume of Clair's "Hitler's U-boat War". It's an 800 page slog, but interesting. He reviews the Metox usage and German's beliefs that they were being detected, whereas in reality, they were not. The second volume was written in this decade, IIRC.

I'm comfortable with his research on the matter and the conclusions that he draws from that, but I'm open to an even better countervailing opinion, if one exists.

OK. I've not read Blair's later stuff, (only his earlier) , and I can accept your (and his) opinion on this. In my electronic warfare courses in the 1980's Metox was always used as an example of the importance of being careful with ESM/other electronic systems. This is another example of the myth having a longer term effect than the truth. Herbert Werner in "Iron coffins" goes heavily into how mistrusted the system was by U-boat crews (he was writing in the early 1970's).

This might be a subject that I'll want to research and get back to (sometime in the future) you all about.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20462
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 2:18:33 PM   
Terminus

Welp, just sent my first article to The Wargamer. Now to see precisely how much editing it'll need...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 20463
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 2:25:19 PM   
USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20464
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 2:25:35 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Welp, just sent my first article to The Wargamer. Now to see precisely how much editing it'll need...

Very cool!

Mike

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20465
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 2:34:46 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Good work T. What's it about?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20466
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 2:36:08 PM   
Dixie

The Falklands holiday has been delayed. The earliest I'll be heading out is March with an expected date of July. Which means I'll miss our wedding anniversary and Josh's first day of school But I'll be home for the World Cup. Which may not be a good thing.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20467
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 2:38:23 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

The battle of Tsushima.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20468
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 3:11:56 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

quote:

quote:

The battle of Tsushima.

Nice!

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20469
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 3:17:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Hi Steve,

I'm finishing up the second volume of Clair's "Hitler's U-boat War". It's an 800 page slog, but interesting. He reviews the Metox usage and German's beliefs that they were being detected, whereas in reality, they were not. The second volume was written in this decade, IIRC.

I'm comfortable with his research on the matter and the conclusions that he draws from that, but I'm open to an even better countervailing opinion, if one exists.

OK. I've not read Blair's later stuff, (only his earlier) , and I can accept your (and his) opinion on this. In my electronic warfare courses in the 1980's Metox was always used as an example of the importance of being careful with ESM/other electronic systems. This is another example of the myth having a longer term effect than the truth. Herbert Werner in "Iron coffins" goes heavily into how mistrusted the system was by U-boat crews (he was writing in the early 1970's).

This might be a subject that I'll want to research and get back to (sometime in the future) you all about.

If you need references from Blair's stuff, I'll happily provide.

ETA: Your unearthed arcana about BTC (bombing through cloud) and video of declassified training on how to use ground-mapping radar in the B29 was an eye opener for me and made me change my tune about mid-late war night bombing. I'd genuinely like to see any cool primary references that you can provide (without having to shoot me immediately afterwards ) that elucidate the Metox issue further. It could very well be that what you were taught was ground truth and Blair was full of ****. Always possible.

Video of Leigh Light airborne ASW attacks on U-boats would also be welcome.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/10/2013 3:21:39 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20470
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 3:19:43 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi Steve,

In two to three months I'd appreciate that. It will take me that long to unpack, organize and set up my books and research "stuff". Not to mention have time enough to take a breath.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20471
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 3:22:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi Steve,

In two to three months I'd appreciate that. It will take me that long to unpack, organize and set up my books and research "stuff". Not to mention have time enough to take a breath.

Not to mention return the turn?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20472
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 3:28:00 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi Steve,

Not to mention return the turn?

There's a turn? I'm sorry. I'll do what I can. In two weeks I'll be living in a hotel. Maybe I can make the turns up to you.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20473
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 3:51:24 PM   
Chickenboy

Hey Shani-

NoDak came in 3rd on CNBC's list of states that are the best places to do business this year.

SoDak was number 1. Nebraska and Texas also on the central corridor ranked #4 and 2, respectively. Utah and Virginia were tied for 5th place. Virginia was the only coastal state in the top 5.

Some of the worst states? No surprise-West Virginia, Ohio and the usual NE suspects.

Anyways, here's to the central Midwest corridor. Gettin' it done for bidness.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20474
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 4:16:24 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

There's a turn? I'm sorry. I'll do what I can. In two weeks I'll be living in a hotel. Maybe I can make the turns up to you.

Hey Steve-o. I uploaded the latest turn 5-7 days ago.

I know you're in the midst of a very chaotic period now, so don't sweat it. You've many other issues on your plate.

From the purely self-serving JFB POV, June 1-2 1942 represents a *lot* of housekeeping-beaucoup ship upgrades, new plane models (including the Ki-44 IIa ) coming online and various and sundry ship upgrades. So, if I could get to this point, it would keep me busy whilest you were in the midst of your move. But this is just FYI-not trying to press the issue.

How long will you be 'hotelling' it?

On an entirely unrelated matter, I see that Illinois just passed conceal and carry laws! Whoda thunk it! Check it out: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/09/illinois-becomes-last-state-in-nation-to-allow-concealed-carry/

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20475
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 4:24:14 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

Hey Shani-

NoDak came in 3rd on CNBC's list of states that are the best places to do business this year.

SoDak was number 1. Nebraska and Texas also on the central corridor ranked #4 and 2, respectively. Utah and Virginia were tied for 5th place. Virginia was the only coastal state in the top 5.

Some of the worst states? No surprise-West Virginia, Ohio and the usual NE suspects.

And Moorhead made us take our billboard down on I-94. 'North Dakota - Open for Business'. Well I guess it was on the Minnesota side of the river. Moved it to the Downer exit East of Moorhead. They made us take it down again. There is just no pleasing those guys.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20476
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 4:27:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

quote:

Hey Shani-

And Moorhead made us take our billboard down on I-94. 'North Dakota - Open for Business'. Well I guess it was on the Minnesota side of the river. Moved it to the Downer exit East of Moorhead. They made us take it down again. There is just no pleasing those guys.

So why did you move it after the second location-the one on your side of the river? City council for Fargo needs to grow a pair.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 20477
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 4:29:34 PM   
Chickenboy

Shani-I'll admit that "North Dakota-Open for Business" is an improvement over your previous state motto: "North Dakota-Please oh Please! Won't SOMEONE Come Here for Business?"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20478
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 4:32:36 PM   
Schanilec

Or the sign on the Montana border. 'Stay in North Dakota - Custer was healthy when he left'.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20479
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 4:40:38 PM   
Schanilec

A couple of months back there a commission to increase tourism. My first thought 'At gun point'.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 20480
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 5:59:17 PM   
Kwik E Mart

...tithe...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 20481
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 6:03:12 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ETA: Your unearthed arcana about BTC (bombing through cloud) and video of declassified training on how to use ground-mapping radar in the B29 was an eye opener for me and made me change my tune about mid-late war night bombing.

I don't recall this at all...

Can you please provide link(s)?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20482
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 6:05:35 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ETA: Your unearthed arcana about BTC (bombing through cloud) and video of declassified training on how to use ground-mapping radar in the B29 was an eye opener for me and made me change my tune about mid-late war night bombing.

Leo "Apollo11"

Hi Leo,

Steve provided me with some links to some cool primary sources regarding B29 bombing through clouds and radar bombing of targets at night. I'll let him repost as he sees fit.

Regards,

Andre.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20483
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 7:02:04 PM   
Chickenboy

History made by the USN: First unmanned aircraft (X-47B) just successfully landed on an aircraft carrier underway at sea.

Sorry, Steve-o: You've been replaced with a circuit board. All hail our new computer overlords.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20484
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 7:34:01 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

Hi Leo,

Steve provided me with some links to some cool primary sources regarding B29 bombing through clouds and radar bombing of targets at night. I'll let him repost as he sees fit.

Regards,

Andre.

Feel free. I'm a little too rushed right now to find it, it might be weeks till I can get to it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20485
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 7:37:34 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

Hi Leo,

Regards,

Andre.

Feel free . It will probably be weeks till I can get to it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20486
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 7:42:24 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

History made by the USN: First unmanned aircraft (X-47B) just successfully landed on an aircraft carrier underway at sea.

Sorry, Steve-o: You've been replaced with a circuit board. All hail our new computer overlords.

1st off, I retired 13 years ago. 2nd (and they already replaced me with 18 year old high school cheerleader!) , you mean my CHAFFEUR has been replaced by a circuit board. When the electronics can replace someone doing on board analysis , then you are right. (I think that day is coming). Frankly , the only problem I have with drones, is that there is always someone smarter than you who will eventually hack into the system and use it against you.

This subject always makes me think of the old Chevy Chase movie, "Sale of the Century". "GREAT DAY FOR THE NAVY!" "Why admiral, the Navy didn't buy any"? ""Right, and the Air Force bought 300!".

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 7/10/2013 7:44:49 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20487
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 7:50:00 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

1st off, I retired 13 years ago. 2nd (and they already replaced me with 18 year old high school cheerleader!) , you mean my CHAFFEUR has been replaced by a circuit board. When the electronics can replace someone doing on board analysis , then you are right. (I think that day is coming). Frankly , the only problem I have with drones, is that there is always someone smarter than you who will eventually hack into the system and use it against you.

This subject always makes me think of the old Chevy Chase movie, "Sale of the Century". "GREAT DAY FOR THE NAVY!" "Why admiral, the Navy didn't buy any"? ""Right, and the Air Force bought 300!".

Like Steve EVER landed on an aircraft carrier!

Mike

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20488
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 8:39:31 PM   
Dixie

quote:

To do your job all they need is some sort of device to shake a magic 8-ball And a bag of cement to act as ballast.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20489
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/10/2013 9:11:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

To do your job all they need is some sort of device to shake a magic 8-ball And a bag of cement to act as ballast.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20490
Page:   <<   < prev  681 682 [683] 684 685   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  681 682 [683] 684 685   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI