Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 12/7/2012 6:11:50 PM   
TerribleIvan

I still play SPWAW off and on...

(in reply to soldier1)
Post #: 31
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 12/8/2012 4:02:52 AM   
planner 3

Aye soldier, Chief it is. In re to GME, using it was no problrm, but installing mods in the correct places in GME is. At the moment my xp machine no longer has any vesment of Panzer corps, my win7 may follow suit and then I'll stay with the old girl.

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to soldier1)
Post #: 32
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 3/18/2013 12:02:23 AM   
Krec

The game has never left my HD. Been playing ALOT of WOT this past year but SPWAW H2H is still the best tactical WW2game out there.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to TerribleIvan)
Post #: 33
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/11/2013 11:26:54 PM   
Dollar Bill

Still playing as it's the best representation of the type of game I love. Takes me back to the origins of these games, the original Avalon Hill games I played when young.

The only problem is that after playing the free version of SPWAW, I bought the General's Edition a few months ago and it's been fine using the fix that stops Explorer, another color problem has popped up. Greens and reds are fine, but other color mixes are messed up. In particular, smoke is such a strange mix that it obscures everything around it and some other colors are wrong. Still not the psychedelic mix from before the "fix" but still a big problem.

I tried an older video driver but that didn't help. Any suggestions from anyone (is there anyone still out there?)?

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 34
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/12/2013 3:34:44 AM   
JEB Davis

I don't personally know a fix, but you might have better luck at the Depot.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Dollar Bill)
Post #: 35
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/12/2013 8:22:51 PM   
Dollar Bill

Thanks, Jeb. There must be some computer-smart people around.

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 36
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/25/2013 12:46:49 AM   
tide1530

I still play. I have the Shrapnel, Matrix and Enhanced versions on my hard drive.

(in reply to Dollar Bill)
Post #: 37
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 6/14/2014 10:30:08 PM   
BigDuke66

I played it centuries back but when I wanted to get back into SP I decided to go for WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2, looks like they didn't stop work on these games even when only small things were added the huge list alone of OOB refinements makes them look very interesting.

(in reply to tide1530)
Post #: 38
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 6/24/2014 6:06:23 AM   
forgorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

The thing about SPWaW that fascinates me is not in the tank vs tank battles, but campaigns that involve primarily infantry forces. Of course, I focus on the Pacific theater, in which armor played an important but secondary role. For the USMC, the Shermans and the flame tanks were vital in destroying Japanese fortifications in the "corkscrew and blowtorch" techniques in the 1944-45 battles. This type of war was a bloody slugfest, but the Marines fought two different wars from 1942-45. In 1942-43, it was primarily in the jungles of the southern islands, in which the Japanese still relied on the offensive. In 1944-45, the fighting switched to amphibious assaults on barren rocky islands and attrition war. The 1942-45 USMC campaign is a tough one to get through, and using "low-carnage" settings makes it even tougher. I end up definitely appreciating the Marines' reorganizations through each year to upgrade their firepower, and one fully realizes why the Marines did this.

In the past 5 years, the Enhanced SPWaW crew built upon the earlier work I did on the USMC OOB, and I must say that it is now one of the the most historically accurate OOBs in any tactical game. This is primarily due to the magnificent work of author Gordon Rottman in his detailed reference books which served as our sources. I bought nearly every book Mr. Rottman wrote on the USMC in WWII, and these volumes are valued parts of my military history collection.

I agree the tank vs tank aspect is the best. I like how the armor values coupled with penetration chances are based on luck plus mathmatics. Most games use hitpoints so you just keep shooting at a tank to wear down its hitpoints which is tedious and repetitive. Steel Panthers is much more interesting cause a brewed up tank is very good thing! Also, there is suppression and damage to systems to add more reality.

And where is Wild Bill? He is the best mission designer in the world!

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 39
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 6/24/2014 6:53:22 PM   
mkr8683

Bill got religion, he's getting old, and he's had some serious ailments, so he doesn't game anymore. But the old warrior is still sprightly. I keep up with him on Facebook.

Nothing at all against the godfather of SP:WaW, but losing out on Wild Bill is another blow to the old gal, I'm afraid

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 40
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 6/25/2014 5:28:44 PM   
forgorin

Maybe he'll get better and come to mission designing?

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to mkr8683)
Post #: 41
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/16/2014 6:05:28 PM   
Alby

I am gonna try and reisnstall, all the stuff I and others worked on for years and see if it works

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 42
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/18/2014 6:02:56 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krec

The game has never left my HD. Been playing ALOT of WOT this past year but SPWAW H2H is still the best tactical WW2game out there.

H2H??? Blasphemy!! LOL

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 43
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/20/2014 3:38:17 AM   
KG Erwin

Yeah, H2H is OK, but it was designed several years ago, and the Enhanced version is the definitive one in my opinion.

It's still unfortunate that we're limited to only 4 weapons slots, but I don't see that changing. This is why the USMC OOB in the Enhanced version offers so many variations on rifle squads. I have noted before that the USMC was very forward-thinking, and reorganized their units each year from 1942-45. The rifle squad in the F series of 1944-45 was much different than the D series squad of 1942.

(in reply to TerribleIvan)
Post #: 44
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/23/2014 4:22:22 AM   
DoubleDeuce

I still have WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2 on my HD but they rarely get played anymore, just got burned out.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 45
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/23/2014 11:28:09 PM   
baloo7777

SP:WaW was the first game I started playing when I first found out about Matrix games (after years of playing old Avalon Hill boardgames). I fell in love and continue to play SP:WaW using the "Low Carnage" (v8.403) settings. I play this game more than any other!

JRR

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 46
RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? - 7/31/2014 3:00:47 AM   
Falcon1

I remember I was a big fan of SP1 and SP2. Then one day, when I was googling to find scenarios to download, I stumbled upon the existence of SPWAW. I was stunned and overjoyed, and the game has been a staple for me ever since. Just lately getting some competition from TOAW3.

SPWAW players should know that TOAW3 is a great versatile game worthy of SPWAW fans. It's not free but well worth the $30 to download. Great scenario building community just like SPWAW used to have. Flexible enough to model any battle in the history of mankind.

< Message edited by Falcon1 -- 7/31/2014 4:01:21 AM >

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Who Is Still Playing SPWAW? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI