Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  684 685 [686] 687 688   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 11:30:09 AM   
fodder

Good Morning!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20551
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 11:30:47 AM   
fodder

Whoops! UNP!

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 20552
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 12:40:07 PM   
USSAmerica

Good Friday morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 20553
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 1:34:22 PM   
Dixie

A productive morning well spent. Went to Josh's nursery picnic at the local castle (we've all got them over here in Europe). Not a bad way to spend some leave

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20554
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 3:28:13 PM   
Terminus

There's LEGO, and then there's LEGO...

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-10030-Star-Destroyer/dp/B0009F3DXM

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20555
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 3:30:12 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20556
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 3:38:06 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Martin?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2361593/Typhoon-fighter-jet-flies-low-air-display-forces-onlookers-duck-run-cover.html

quote:

Incoming! Moment Typhoon fighter jet flies so low at air display it forces onlookers to duck and run for cover

By Daily Mail UK

They'd positioned themselves to get the best possible view, but they probably didn't expect to end up quite so involved in the action.

Plane spotters watching an RAF display found themselves ducking and running for cover when a Typhoon fighter jet skimmed just a few feet above them.

The group had set up camp by a road outside the showground under the aircraft's landing path.

Video shows them admiring the multi-million jet as it prepares to touch down, but very soon realise it is getting a little too close for comfort.

Close shave: This is the moment a Typhoon fighter jet flies in so close it forces onlookers to duck:

Get down! Plane spotters watching an air show cower as a Typhoon jet flies just a few feet above them:

Too close for comfort: The jet appears to come in at a much shallower angle than intended, but the RAF says it was a 'completely normal approach':

Some who had climbed on ladders to get a better view inside the showground cowered down as the plane appeared to brush past the perimeter fence.

Others sprinted for their lives and dropped to the floor in terror as they were blasted by jet wash from the plane.

Footage of the incident was posted on YouTube by bobsurgranny, who said: 'Well this came as a shock, the rate of descent was so quick.

'Either very skilled or very lucky, you decide. I'm saying SKILL!'

The incident took place at the RAF Waddington Air Show last weekend.

The plane enthusiasts were not inside the showground, but had instead set up camp by an adjacent road under the flight path.

The RAF said there were clear warnings of the dangers posed in that area.
Duck! Typhoon fighter jet so low onlookers run for cover

Run for it! The jet skims over the heads of people trying to watch the RAF Waddington air show, some of whom climbed up ladders to see the action over the fence:

Phew! One person lies sprawled on the floor in a desperate bid to get out of the way as the jetwash fro the aircraft ruffles the boundary fence:

A spokesman for the RAF told MailOnline: 'The area concerned is directly under the flight path of the runway and has clear warnings and flashing traffic lights designed to ensure that the public stay clear.

‘The approach of the Typhoon to RAF Waddington was completely normal and within all normal parameters.

'Individuals placing themselves under the flight path of aircraft that operate hugely powerful jet engines should not be surprised if they experience jet wash, nevertheless, the RAF apologises for any inconvenience caused.'

He said there was no damage to the boundary fence or the aircraft.

More than 148,000 people visited the RAF Waddington Air Show last weekend to see displays from the Red Arrows, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and a variety of other international teams.

The event was so popular police reported six-mile tailbacks on the A1 at one point on Saturday.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bqYQ2WTf-A

Leo "Apollo11"

< Message edited by Apollo11 -- 7/12/2013 3:40:10 PM >

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20557
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 4:01:23 PM   
Chickenboy

You don't think that 'perfectly normal approach' was intentional, do you Leo? I suspect that every pilot in the world would have done the same thing, given the opportunity.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20558
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 4:01:28 PM   
USSAmerica

That video is hilarious, Leo!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20559
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 4:04:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yeah. Did you see the other one it was bundled with? Makes the Star Destroyer look a veritable bargain!

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ultimate-Collectors-Millennium-Falcon/dp/B000WLW3W0/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_y

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20560
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 4:28:21 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Martin?

Leo "Apollo11"

Bear in mind I'm not a pilot when I say this, but I think I speak for the aviation community when I say:

Those people are absolute f*** wits. Sitting right in the path of the undershoot is stupid beyond belief for a number of reasons. The most basic (from their point of view) is the danger to themselves should the landing go wrong. And then they're right in the path of the jet blast once they've landed. There's also the potential distraction and risk to the pilot who's trying to land.

The road is closed when aircraft are on approach to land for just this reason, but apparently pedestrians are immune to the danger... No doubt if one of them was hurt they'd be getting into contact with some lawyer who'd make it the RAF's fault.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20561
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 6:28:07 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Neverending problems for Boeing's newest 787 Dreamliner...

Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow

There is clear proof that composite skin melted at the top and that there is considerable hole... I don't know how is composite skin repaired as opposed to standard aluminum skin...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20562
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 6:54:56 PM   
Schanilec

Two words. Duct tape.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20563
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 7:04:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Hi all,

There is clear proof that composite skin melted at the top and that there is considerable hole... I don't know how is composite skin repaired as opposed to standard aluminum skin...

Leo "Apollo11"

It's my understanding that the 787 batteries and auxiliary power unit are located in the airplanes 'belly', not near the tail. That area looks more like the service deck / restroom area. While it's a legitimate suggestion that this was yet another battery fire, it's way too early to conclude that.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20564
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 7:05:30 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

Martin?

Bear in mind I'm not a pilot when I say this, but I think I speak for the aviation community when I say:

Those people are absolute f*** wits. Sitting right in the path of the undershoot is stupid beyond belief for a number of reasons. The most basic (from their point of view) is the danger to themselves should the landing go wrong. And then they're right in the path of the jet blast once they've landed. There's also the potential distraction and risk to the pilot who's trying to land.

The road is closed when aircraft are on approach to land for just this reason, but apparently pedestrians are immune to the danger... No doubt if one of them was hurt they'd be getting into contact with some lawyer who'd make it the RAF's fault.

I know... I know...

But still, it is really not necessary to land on "piano keys" (i.e. the very beginning of the runway)...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20565
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 7:07:04 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

Martin?

Leo "Apollo11"

+ 1

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20566
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:36:19 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Hi all,

I know... I know...

But still, it is really not necessary to land on "piano keys" (i.e. the very beginning of the runway)...

Leo "Apollo11"

It's also not necessary to stand in the undershoot. Whether or not it's necessary for a pilot to land on the piano keys is totally irrelevant to the matter IMO. The piano keys are part of the runway and therefore the pilot is totally within his/her rights to touch down there. Let's put it another way, if they were walking around an airport would you let them stand that close to an aircraft starting it's engines?

The bigger issue is people thinking that they can just stand wherever they like, usually with some shouting about paying taxes or similar. They used to do the same at Brize until the RAF coppers got sent to move them on. It's idiocy, I've seen what damage an idling jet engine can do, even a relatively low powered VC-10 engine. Aeroplanes are dangerous, engines especially so.

If they are stupid enough to stand there when a Typhoon is landing then they'll do the same when something big comes in. And in that case someone could/will be seriously hurt. Without reheat a Typhoon produces (iirc) about 34,000 lbs of thrust. A single Tristar engine produces 50,000 lbs or a C-17 engine 40,000 lbs. You've seen the video of what the Typhoon did, so imagine something with almost 10 times as much power.

Look for videos of Princess Juliana airport on Sint Maarten. Because that is where the situation will finish up, and then someone gets blown across the road and breaks limbs or gets killed. Or worse, causes enough of a distraction that it causes a crash.

It all comes under the umbrella of Flight Safety. Perhaps I have a different perspective to most people having been so involved with aircraft, no doubt Steve will have an aircrew type perspective on it as well. But for now at least... Rant over.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20567
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:37:01 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Two words. Duct tape.

Two better words (well one, but the product is far superior).

Speed Tape.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 20568
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:39:28 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

It's my understanding that the 787 batteries and auxiliary power unit are located in the airplanes 'belly', not near the tail. That area looks more like the service deck / restroom area. While it's a legitimate suggestion that this was yet another battery fire, it's way too early to conclude that.

Maybe someone smoking (illegally) in the restrooms? Or the third class passengers fired up their hibachi and it got a little out of control?

BTW APU fires usually start with a large tongue of flame coming out of the intake. It leaves a lot of soot, and would be easy to see against a white aircraft.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 7/12/2013 8:40:52 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20569
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:40:49 PM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

I'm not an expert on the civvie world, but you cans ee some sort of structure just inside the door. Toilets tend to be placed in the middle of the cabin or right at the rear. So I'd say this was some sort of galley fire.

I'm not sure of the repair difficulties, to work with composites and do repairs in the RAF requires a special qualification and authorisation. I do know that most composites (and carbon fibre especially, which the 787 uses) is nasty stuff when it burns.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20570
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:41:13 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixi
quote]ORIGINAL: Apollo11
Hi all,

Martin?

Leo "Apollo11"

Damn it, Dixie, I am a friffin pilot. And I am sick and Goddam tired of the media penis breaths who presume to judge besaed on their oh ! so ! wonderful ! experience !

Just look at the $hit pot they prepared for the crew of Asiana 214 ..... Just sayin.

Just asking. You know how it is. Ciao John

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20571
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:42:21 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Maybe someone smoking (illegally) in the restrooms? Or the third class passengers fired up their hibachi and it got a little out of control?

BTW APU fires usually start with a large tongue of flame coming out of the intake. It leaves a lot of soot, and would be easy to see against a white aircraft.

I think the APU is right at the back (as is standard on airliners), you can just see the shiny part of the exhaust. So if it was an APU fire then it's tracked forwards quite a bit

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20572
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:42:35 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

I know... I know...

Leo "Apollo11"

It's also not necessary to stand in the undershoot. Whether or not it's necessary for a pilot to land on the piano keys is totally irrelevant to the matter IMO. The piano keys are part of the runway and therefore the pilot is totally within his/her rights to touch down there. Let's put it another way, if they were walking around an airport would you let them stand that close to an aircraft starting it's engines?

The bigger issue is people thinking that they can just stand wherever they like, usually with some shouting about paying taxes or similar. They used to do the same at Brize until the RAF coppers got sent to move them on. It's idiocy, I've seen what damage an idling jet engine can do, even a relatively low powered VC-10 engine. Aeroplanes are dangerous, engines especially so.

If they are stupid enough to stand there when a Typhoon is landing then they'll do the same when something big comes in. And in that case someone could/will be seriously hurt. Without reheat a Typhoon produces (iirc) about 34,000 lbs of thrust. A single Tristar engine produces 50,000 lbs or a C-17 engine 40,000 lbs. You've seen the video of what the Typhoon did, so imagine something with almost 10 times as much power.

Look for videos of Princess Juliana airport on Sint Maarten. Because that is where the situation will finish up, and then someone gets blown across the road and breaks limbs or gets killed. Or worse, causes enough of a distraction that it causes a crash.

It all comes under the umbrella of Flight Safety. Perhaps I have a different perspective to most people having been so involved with aircraft, no doubt Steve will have an aircrew type perspective on it as well. But for now at least... Rant over.

That's one advantage of a P-3. Left over box lunch hardboiled eggs thru the "free fall tube" would disburse that crowd. Not that I would do such a thing.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20573
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:44:41 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Damn it, Dixie, I am a friffin pilot. And I am sick and Goddam tired of the media penis breaths who presume to judge besaed on their oh ! so ! wonderful ! experience !

Just look at the $hit pot they prepared for the crew of Asiana 214 ..... Just sayin.

Just asking. You know how it is. Ciao John

Have you ever had people sat there in any of your approaches? I can imagine it's an unneeded complication to the workload at a busy part of the flight?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 20574
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:45:25 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

I know... I know...

Leo "Apollo11"

I concur and totally agree. Makes you wish there was a way to "flush the potty" , like in old aircraft.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20575
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/12/2013 8:52:55 PM   
Dixie

In lighter news, the people at Josh's nursery have noticed that he is very interested (obsessed?) with cars. He was reading (looking at the pictures in) a book about racing cars when I picked him up. He was in the midst of telling everyone that one was a Ford racing car and the one on the next page was a Citroen rally car

He also got cross when another little lad was looking at one of the BBMF Chipmunks as it toddled around the skies. He was telling me to stop the other lad looking at it because it was his Daddy's aeroplane and the other lad was not allowed to look at it or touch it.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20576
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/13/2013 3:35:15 AM   
Chickenboy

@ USS Mike:

One for you from a pranked Fox News affiliate in San Francisco regarding the identity of the Asiana pilots.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=563_1373664708

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20577
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/13/2013 5:25:13 AM   
Walloc

quote:

I'm not an expert on the civvie world, but you cans ee some sort of structure just inside the door. Toilets tend to be placed in the middle of the cabin or right at the rear. So I'd say this was some sort of galley fire.

I'm not sure of the repair difficulties, to work with composites and do repairs in the RAF requires a special qualification and authorisation. I do know that most composites (and carbon fibre especially, which the 787 uses) is nasty stuff when it burns.

News this morning is that the fire started when the aircraft was on the ground and empthy.

Rasmus

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20578
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/13/2013 1:57:18 PM   
Chickenboy

Sounds about right...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 20579
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/13/2013 1:59:02 PM   
Chickenboy

Suppose I should say 'Good morning' THREAD dudes.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20580
Page:   <<   < prev  684 685 [686] 687 688   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  684 685 [686] 687 688   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI