Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  688 689 [690] 691 692   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 5:40:22 PM   
Chickenboy

Hanging INP.  Thanks, Dixie. 

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20671
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 5:41:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

I'm going to my first 'proper' air show in many years on Saturday. Flying in style as well. Hopefully I'll have time to grab a lot of free stuff...

Oi-Dixie-don't set up shop on the approach to the runway, eh? Tornado pilot might decide to touch off the afterburners and go around again instead of landing on the piano keys.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20672
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 7:25:01 PM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I'm going to my first 'proper' air show in many years on Saturday. Flying in style as well. Hopefully I'll have time to grab a lot of free stuff...

Oi-Dixie-don't set up shop on the approach to the runway, eh? Tornado pilot might decide to touch off the afterburners and go around again instead of landing on the piano keys.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20673
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 9:05:33 PM   
Symon

Hi ya'll.

What do you all think about Puerto Varas, in Chile. We're kinda ex-patting and Puerto Varas is just the kind of place Mom will love. A large German community with cafes that serve baumkuchen and microbreweries that do it like how grandad did it in Bavaria. An incredibly beautiful and interesting place.

Mom will expat, because she won't want to lose her US benefits or passport. I have a choice; I can expat and keep my US benefits, or immigrate and get some Chilean govt benefits. Quelle choise !

Anyway, any of you been to Patagonia? Anyone been to Los Lagos region? Anyone been to Llanquihe? Here's a picture, Osorno's the volcano in the background. Calbuco ia a volcano just off the right of the picture.

Attachment (1)

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 20674
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/16/2013 9:10:45 PM   
Chickenboy

Never been, John. Looks beautiful-quite picturesque.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 20675
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 3:54:41 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Good morning tithe.

That's some amazing engineering going into those wings. I imagine that that *does* give a smoother flight, still it's got to be unsettling to the uninitiated.

ETA: Steve, turn's back to you now, right? I've lost track. I'm not expecting it back for the time being, per our discussions, but just wanted to make sure that you've got 'the ball'.

ETA II: How's the back?

I really don't know Andre. I'm sitting at a laptop surrounded by boxes and movers packing said boxes.

Just for the record, the turn in dropbox is for you. Whenever you get a crack at it.

ETA: Lift with the knees, man-the knees!

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/17/2013 3:55:04 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20676
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 7:36:47 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Hi ya'll.

What do you all think about Puerto Varas, in Chile. We're kinda ex-patting and Puerto Varas is just the kind of place Mom will love. A large German community with cafes that serve baumkuchen and microbreweries that do it like how grandad did it in Bavaria. An incredibly beautiful and interesting place.

Mom will expat, because she won't want to lose her US benefits or passport. I have a choice; I can expat and keep my US benefits, or immigrate and get some Chilean govt benefits. Quelle choise !

Anyway, any of you been to Patagonia? Anyone been to Los Lagos region? Anyone been to Llanquihe? Here's a picture, Osorno's the volcano in the background. Calbuco ia a volcano just off the right of the picture.

Nice John - almost European Austria / Germany / Italy Alp like!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 20677
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 7:37:19 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20678
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 9:14:02 AM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

Top advice, keep it coming chaps!

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20679
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 9:17:39 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Hi ya'll.

Leo "Apollo11"

Well, like John said, it's full of Germans... I hear they began to mysteriously appear in the 40s...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20680
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 9:46:21 AM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, like John said, it's full of Germans... I hear they began to mysteriously appear in the 40s...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20681
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 10:07:02 AM   
fodder

Good Morning!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20682
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 1:05:05 PM   
USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 20683
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 1:41:14 PM   
Walloc

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Hi ya'll.

Leo "Apollo11"

U might wana brush up on Chilean history Mr T. While what u heard might be true and more so in other parts of South America. Chile have had a large influx of germans much earlier than around the 40s. 1890s being the peek periode IIRC. I susepct but could be wrong that the community in question dates earlier than the 40ies. Not thats its not possible they got a snall boost in 40s, but in the case of Chile jumping to the flight of certain types might not be the right assumption.

< Message edited by Walloc -- 7/17/2013 1:44:15 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20684
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 1:56:26 PM   
Terminus

I was making a joke, Walloc. Done plenty of reading about von Spee's squadron and their interaction with the German community in Chile. Most of the nazis escaped to Argentina because Peron was a fascist.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 7/17/2013 2:20:23 PM >

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 20685
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 2:41:34 PM   
nashvillen

Good morning!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20686
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 4:35:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Hi ya'll.

Leo "Apollo11"

Hilter and Ron Vibbentrop? I hear they went to Luten.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20687
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 6:58:48 PM   
Schanilec

How about the Japanese Liuetenant. Lt. Onoda who surrender in 1980 in the Philippines. He moved to Chile and started a cattle ranch.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20688
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 7:53:41 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Hilter and Ron Vibbentrop? I hear they went to Luten.

Nein. That was Minehead Dickie mein chum, although they did go for a little hike to Bideford.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20689
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 8:28:23 PM   
Symon

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

Um, it is. That's exactly what it looks like and just how the locals think. I mean, it's utterly freaking beautiful. It's just as you say.
quote:

Well, like John said, it's full of Germans... I hear they began to mysteriously appear in the 40s..

Yepperino. The Germans came in after the revolution of '48. By 1880, they were right and tight. They had farms. They had homes and families. They spoke Spanish. They were righteous.

Ass holes who think German = Hitler are so pathetically down the toilet. There truly are people not worth talking to. So don't.

Got some pictures of my place. Not digital, they are old time 35mm stuff. Will see what scanning can do. Whatever I get, I'll post.

Ciao. JWE

< Message edited by Symon -- 7/17/2013 8:40:12 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20690
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 9:28:52 PM   
Schanilec

Settle down there pilgrim. They're just funnin' ya'.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 20691
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/17/2013 11:55:09 PM   
Alfred

quote:

Hi ya'll.

Symon,

Two thoughts come to mind regarding the question of taking up Chilean citizenship.

1. It is no longer impossible for an American citizen to be a citizen of another country. I personally know of an American who married an Australian woman, eventually emigrated to Australia with his wife (circa 2003) and has since become an Australian citizen whilst retaining his American citizenship and passport. He also has the benefit of putting in his tax returns to the IRS annually.

The point then becomes whether Chile allows dual nationality or refuses to recognize its citizens having another nationality in addition to the Chilean. In the latter case that actually would not invalidate American citizenship as that would be a matter determined under American law.

2. Would giving up American citizenship, in order to obtain Chilean citizenship, create problems in the equipment projects you undertake for the American military?

On balance, and not being fully cognisant of all the relevant data, provided you can obtain permanent residency status in Chile, I would be wary of giving up your American passport and citizenship. With south American countries, you never know when holding a second passport might come in handy.

Alfred

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 20692
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 12:59:02 AM   
Kwik E Mart

...damn...away from THE THREAD for a few days and people start talkin' 'bout pilotin' and flyin' and such...on the subject of the military jet buzzing the spectators at the beginning of the runway, i'll only say that using up perfectly good runway is never good judgement, no matter how much is in front of you...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 20693
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 1:00:44 AM   
Kwik E Mart

...alfred posting in THE THREAD?!?!?!?!? it's like spock making a cameo in a three stooges episode...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 20694
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 7:17:40 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 20695
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 7:47:51 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Neverending problems for Boeing's newest 787 Dreamliner...

Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow

There is clear proof that composite skin melted at the top and that there is considerable hole... I don't know how is composite skin repaired as opposed to standard aluminum skin...

Interesting...

quote:

Honeywell says would remove 787 beacons if asked as fire probed

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Honeywell International Inc (NYSE: HON - news) on Wednesday said it would temporarily remove its emergency locator beacons from Boeing (NYSE: BA - news) 787s if asked to do so under recommendations that sources said British authorities could release within days as part of an initial report on a fire on a Dreamliner jet in London last week.

Investigators have been looking at several components, including a lithium manganese battery in the Honeywell emergency locator transmitter (ELT), as possible causes for the fire that caused extensive damage to a parked Ethiopian Airlines 787 in London last Friday. The battery is made by New York-based Ultralife Corp (NasdaqGM: ULBI - news) , a source told Reuters on Monday.

Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), which is leading the investigation, may suggest temporarily removing the devices from the new Boeing Dreamliners while the probe continues, according to one source familiar with the probe who was not authorized to speak publicly.

A second source familiar with the investigation said the AAIB could issue a report in the next few days that includes some recommendations, without giving details on the proposals.

Honeywell's emergency beacons are in use on a wide range of airplanes.

The latest fire on board Boeing's new composite airliner comes on the heels of a three-month grounding linked to problems with much larger lithium-ion batteries on the plane.

Sources close to the investigation say it is turning out to be more complex than initially expected given that the fire caused severe damage to the upper portion of the jet's rear fuselage. As in the earlier probe, investigators are finding it difficult to pinpoint the cause of the fire.

A spokeswoman for the AAIB on Wednesday reiterated that Honeywell's ELT was one of several components being looked at in detail as part of the investigation, but said it would be premature to speculate on the causes of the incident.

AAIB has declined to identify any other components that might be under scrutiny.

Boeing says its highest priority is the safety of the new airplanes, and it is working closely with authorities to "understand exactly what happened - and why," wrote Randy Tinseth, vice president of marketing for Boeing Commercial Airplanes, in a blog posted on Wednesday.

"While the investigation continues, the 787 fleet is flying as normal. We're confident the 787 is a safe airplane and we stand behind its overall integrity," Tinseth wrote.

The AAIB's possible move to remove ELTs was first reported by The Wall Street Journal, which said that ELTs are not required for a plane to be certified for passenger flight.

The Journal, citing a person familiar with the matter, said the AAIB is preparing to ask the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and the European Aviation Safety Agency to assess the necessity of the devices on 787s.

Officials at the FAA and U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), which have both sent representatives to London to assist with the investigation, declined comment, referring queries to the AAIB.

A spokesman for the European Aviation Safety Agency said he had no information on the elements contained in the WSJ report

Honeywell said the report was based on "anonymous speculation" and said its officials had not been contacted by British or U.S. authorities involved in the investigation.

However, spokesman Steve Brecken said Honeywell always puts safety first and "would support an action like this as a precautionary measure if our team, or the AAIB and NTSB, determine it's necessary to do so."

Honeywell says it has built over 3,000 emergency beacons since they were first certified in 2005, and insists that it has not seen or experienced a single reported issue with them.

The FAA did issue a special airworthiness notice in 2009 in which it advised airlines to replace the antenna used by an earlier version of the Honeywell transmitter because it had failed in tests. Other global regulators published similar advisories at the time.

Asked about that notice, FAA spokesman Lynn Lunsford said there was no indication of fire risk linked to the earlier antenna problems.

The ELT, which is positioned in the upper rear part of the 787, sends a signal that leads rescuers to downed aircraft.

ELTs are largely redundant on most large jets since their routes are closely tracked by radar or air traffic controllers , except for long-range polar routes, said one aviation expert.

All planes also come with flight data recorders and voice data recorders that have sonar "pingers" that are activated in the event of a crash into water, when the ELT devices would not work anyway, said the expert.

The FAA also had no comment on the Journal's report that some FAA officials were arguing to shift jurisdiction for the fire investigation to the U.S. agency, since the Ethiopian plane was parked, rather than in flight, and was certified by the FAA.

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20696
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 7:53:17 AM   
mattep74

When going on an airplane i dont want to see the wings acting like a bird. I am a bit scared of flying. I am afraid that the wings suddenly will tear off at 10,000 meters.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20697
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 10:53:33 AM   
Terminus

Tithe...

(in reply to mattep74)
Post #: 20698
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 11:05:36 AM   
Chickenboy

Good morning...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20699
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/18/2013 11:07:16 AM   
Chickenboy

Early morning tithe...off on the train to Chicago today. Haven't taken passenger rail in this country in 30 years. Bringing the kids too.

See you lot in a week or so.

NoDak-try to keep Nashvillen's INP tyranny to a minimum, will ya?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20700
Page:   <<   < prev  688 689 [690] 691 692   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  688 689 [690] 691 692   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI