Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 1/13/2003 2:27:39 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

"Win98se blows compared to Win2k or XP, both XP and Win2K are more stable and easier to work on, Only draw back is some games will not work. Oh well.

BTW, TOAW:ACOW will run on Win2k and XP, you need to download a pair of the hacked exe's that have the safedisc copyprotection stripped off. ([url]www.tdg.nu[/url] has them)"

ONLY DRAWBACK SOME GAMES WONT RUN ON XP??? THATS EXACTLY THE POINT! SACRILEGE!! AND FURTHERMORE TOAW;COW RUNS JUST FINE ON MY 98SE. 2K AND XP BLOWS CHUNKS HARD.

SARGE- YOU KNOW, IM INTO MAKING A BUCK AS MUCH AS THE NEXT GUY BUT HOW MUCH MORE MONEY DOES BILL NEED?? GLUTTONY IS A DEADLY SIN AFTER ALL AND I DONT BELIEVE ANYONE IS GOING TO BE PAYING 100+BILLION DOLLARS FOR ROOM AND BOARD IN AN ENTIRE LIFETIME!! SOUNDS MORE TO ME THAT HE'S GOT A WARGAMERS "CONTROL FREAK" SYNDROME GOING ON.
SLAAKATTAK

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 61
- 1/13/2003 3:58:12 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm how to say this.

I bought 3.1 (have the original disks right here).

I bought DOS 6.22 as well (have those disks rigt there).

I bought an upgrade to system at one point, and decided sure I will get 95 now that it has been out a year.

3.1 was fine when it was the norm.

95 promised a lot, and it was quite a change from 3.1 too.

Then it was 98, 98se then 2000, then ME hey wait a second , I never got a kiss even after 98SE WTF!!

Sorry to disillusion any out there that might be holding onto any hope that I like Bill, but......

I have been using everything since 95 thanks to a buddies efforts.

I can't expect others to complain about not even getting kissed anymore (that's your business), but hey, I am not going to pay off Bill's mortgage either.

I like XP. I like that it runs and runs well.
I am not impressed with the endless need to get yet another version to satisfy the needs of yet another game that was made that insists on it being the latest OS of course (who would be). But I do like that the damned thing at least runs without crashing.

I am out 80 bucks to get myself Century of Warfare, because my original Operational Art of War volume 1 doesn't like XP.
It seemed like a good trade though. An OS that finally runs, and the latest release of a wargame that I really like.
I was not at all moody about having to give Talonsoft some more money. Not rich though, glad it was just one game.

Basically you guys have to decide, leave an old game behind in favour of an OS that actually can be relied on to work, or stick with some old games (and it is just a few random designs eh, it's not all of them), and suffer with an OS that I happen to know still likes to crash and or give you trouble and or blue screens.

By the way, it has been more than a year now, what exactly is a blue screen again, I have forgotten what they look like.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 62
- 1/13/2003 4:15:50 AM   
axrael

win2000 and winXP are basically the same OS just with a different front end and some tweaking in XP for hardware configurations. They both have the same lifespan to within 3 months and it is likely that as well as there being an "XP2" or similar there will be a "win2000-2" for those who don't want the flashy crap that XP has.

I only have one game that refuses to work but I know it won't work on winXP either so it is no big deal. win2000 has one advantage over XP though and that is its security. When dealing with hacking and viruses XP is more vulnerable and more likely to have serious downtime.

"In far off land called africa where yanks have never been.
There's a six foot zulu warrior being gobbled by a Royal Marine".

Post #: 63
GOODNESS SAKIN' GIRLS ARE FAKIN'..... - 1/13/2003 8:17:39 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

SARGE YOU DEBATE IN VAIN. THERE IS NO WAY IM GOING TO SIT BLINDSIDED TO THE EVIL OF MICROSCAMS LATEST SALVO AND SILENTLY ACQUIESCE TO THE ROMANESQUE "BUSINESS AS USUAL" PLOY AND I EXPECT ANYONE HERE WHO IS IN FULL POSESSION OF THEIR FACULTIES NOT BE FOOLED AGAIN! "WELCOME THE NEW BOSS, SAME AS THE OLD BOSS!" I NEVER SUFFER FROM THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH ON MY SYSTEM SIMPLY BECAUSE I KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN IT PROPERLY SO THEREFORE "I AINT GONNA FIX THAT WHICH AINT BROKE!" BUT THIS ISNT ABOUT EFFICIENCY, THIS IS ABOUT POWER. "FIRST YOU GETTA THE MONEY, THEN YOU GETTA THE POWER, THEN YOU GETTA THE WOMAN." AND IF BILL NEEDS MORE MONEY THAN HE'S ALREADY GOT TO GET LAID......THEN HE AINT GONNA GET LAID EVER!
SLAAKATTAK

MARCUS- YOU ALREADY KNOW.:p

Post #: 64
- 1/14/2003 4:50:15 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Slaak I can't find the files to which you refer to here.

BTW, TOAW:ACOW will run on Win2k and XP, you need to download a pair of the hacked exe's that have the safedisc copyprotection stripped off. ([url]www.tdg.nu[/url] has them)"

Can you give me some more input?

Post #: 65
- 1/14/2003 5:48:29 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

O SARGE THAT JUST MAKES ME FEEL ALL WARM INSIDE.

Post #: 66
- 1/14/2003 8:36:11 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

That response was not within the accepted parameters Slaak:)

Post #: 67
- 1/14/2003 9:05:51 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

OK NOW HERES THE PROPER RETORT....SQUEEZEM, SCRUNCHEM, LICKEM, STICKEM, THE ICREDIBLE, DELECTABLE, BOOBS!!
( * Y * ) AND HERE IS A BEAUTIFUL SONG TO FURTHER SUPPORT MY POINT;

http://www.beta-recordings.co.uk/americangirls

Post #: 68
- 1/15/2003 10:31:04 PM   
Tim McBride

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Slaak I can't find the files to which you refer to here.

Can you give me some more input? [/B][/QUOTE]

The direct link for the ACOW 1.04 files

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.lr/Bioed/v104files.zip

_TIm

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."-John Parker

Post #: 69
- 1/15/2003 10:35:30 PM   
skryking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tim McBride
[B]I'm posting this from the perspective of a person who plays wargames and happens to work in the computer world

XP and Win2k are actually at the same level

XP is being marketed for home users and small business networks.

Win2k is designed with the power user and larger networks in mind (If you are going to get 2k get the proffesional edition)

Linux will never be user friendly for games, it is too popular for running servers

Win98se blows compared to Win2k or XP, both XP and Win2K are more stable and easier to work on, Only draw back is some games will not work. Oh well.

BTW, TOAW:ACOW will run on Win2k and XP, you need to download a pair of the hacked exe's that have the safedisc copyprotection stripped off. ([url]www.tdg.nu[/url] has them)

+Tim [/B][/QUOTE]

for an OS that isn't user friendly for games, Linux seems to run Unreal Tournament 2003 really well...atleast thats the feeling I get when I'm fragging helpless windows users....:eek:

Skryking
Perpetual Cannon Fodder Factory

Post #: 70
XP - 1/16/2003 4:25:13 AM   
Veldor

2000/XP shares almost no code with Windows 9x. It is based entirely on the NT operating system which in turn is based upon VMS, a long long running business platform. And no MS didn't steal it, they hired the original designer when they first made NT. So its pointless to compare 9x to 2000/XP... whether or not they might look the same on the surface, anyone with any depth of PC skills at all knows beneath the surface they are as unlike as it gets..

Not saying 2000/XP is all it should be.. But yes it is a definite MAJOR improvement over 9x.

And sure 9x runs plenty of software, and it doesn't even crash much if you spend endless hours tweaking it.

But with XP you don't need to do any of that.. No more DLL conflicts, No more blue-screens, it just works. 99 out of 100 Windows XP problems are outdated-drivers. So a base install of XP and a couple driver updates and your running clean, no other tweaking necessary..

Yes it takes better hardware... So thats who is really profiting... Its not like MS sells boxes and sells you XP so you have to buy them..

Post #: 71
- 1/16/2003 4:33:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm I still say the single biggest reason I like XP is because in spite of my being magnetically drawn to computer screw ups, I have yet to bugger up my computer since running XP.

I was stuck with whining for help about once a week some months with 98.

It's just a good thing I am male and not female. God only knows what harm I would have done to my reputation if I had been female, and constantly asking for help:)

Post #: 72
- 1/16/2003 8:37:59 AM   
SLAAKMAN

VELDOR- XP/NT IS GAME HOSTILE. 'NUFF SAID.
SLAAKATTAK

Post #: 73
- 1/16/2003 8:57:35 AM   
Veldor

I have a ton of games from all different genres, and have none that do not run under Windows XP. There is even compatibility modes and such if you need them.

Yes if we are talking about DOS games and other such direct hardware access type games.. your going to be outta luck, but then again my processor alone is so **** fast I couldn't play those games even if I was running Win9x.

If your the type that plays lots of older games, keep your older pc around for that purpose... If you can't run games on WinXP your doing something REALLY REALLY wrong...

Windows 2000 is partially game hostile, it was never meant for the home user. Windows XP is and works like a charm...

Post #: 74
- 1/16/2003 9:39:58 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I went over last night to visit an old friend.

She has my old 486 system. It has a 50 processor (yes kids they once had processors in just double digit sums).

Not sure the ram is even in double digit sums.

And the hard drive heheh well I guess 400 megs sounded cool at one point in time.

Well I was trying to clean it off of all that was on it. Then re install Win 95 (in spite of it using to much of the available 400 megs). All she wants it for is a word processor at any rate. Well not having my Win 95 install code made that a problem.

Hmmm could not get Windows to install past the mouse driver. It had garbage on the system from the 95 install unfortunately.
So I inserted a DOS 6.22 boot disc, formatted the thing, and then settled for MSDOS 6.22 and Win 3.1

She now has a working computer, that has likely no chance of ever gettng much past being a typewriter (using Windows resident Write program).

She is planning on buying a new system this spring though. The 486 is destined to be here daughter's homework typing tool (I bet her daughter will thank her endlessly).

I had planned on telling my friend, that after three days trying to fix the system, for god's sake don't let anyone install any junk on it. I didn't bother. Thanks to the inferior efficiency of the older DOS and the older Windows, I can not get the system to notice the D drive (the cd rom).
So It is highly unlikely anyone but a really dedicated hardcore computer nut will be able to figure out how to install anything anyway.

And that was that.

Thanks deb for curing me of the clearly insane notion of buying it back off you to play a few older wargames. Whew that was close.

After listening to one insane tirade afer another about the merit of keeping old machines, I almost fell for it.

I am not in love with my current computer. I am also not in love with MS.
I don't think my current system will be thrlling in 3 years, but thankfully in 3 years, I don't expect to care if I can't play the latest game.
I often wonder why I visit the EB in the first place. Shouldn't I be in a model shop in the first place?

Oh well, I have XP, and I have yet to tell XP how to set anything up on my system. It appears it doesn't need my help.

The other day for instance, thanks to my meddling, I messed up my printer settings. Now in 98 I would be once again frantic. But this time it was easy. Delete default printer, and tell XP "oh I need you to install my printer". It did. Not me, XP did it.

I bought a new video card in anticipation of getting Combat Leader when it comes out eh. I did not set it up. XP did. I don't know the first thing about doing that stuff.
Neither does 98. I had 98 installed as a secondary OS on my secondary partition.
When it saw I had a new video card, it became brain dead suddenly and wouldn't run. So I deleted 98. Stupid OS.

XP likes me. If it doesn't care for a couple of old games, I can get over it. But a OS that doesn't like me, and won't help me when I have trouble, no I don't need any OSs like them around.

Post #: 75
- 1/16/2003 11:55:49 PM   
brent_2

I still have a win 95 pc - old dell I bought way back when - that I have kept to play Harpoon on. Now that I have UV I may just drop it. Or at least move it out of my office to someplace the kids can use it without taking up the drafting table.

At some point it becomes not worth keeping the older stuff alive, I'll have to learn to let it go (I should do this with alot of things actually). I just hope the new version is as good as it ought to be.

I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent

Post #: 76
- 1/19/2003 5:05:25 PM   
rockymtndoc

Gates has never made a secret of the fact that he wants to both dominate and control the world computer market. The only thing unusual about this is that no one in the US Govt can recognize the monopoly concept when they see it.

I agree with Les - I also have problems with games not running properly on WinXP, and it has nothing to do with individual configuration. My computer is brand new: Pentium 4 2 Gig processor, 1 gig of Ram, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. I took the trouble to contact the various companies and they openly admit to their programs not being "entirely compatible with some aspects of the WinXP platform." Translation from cowardly cop-out speech: doesn't work with that software and we can't fix it. and why should they? When enough people are running XP, another game can be marketed that does work.

My own solution is to always read the box. Doesn't list XP as compatible, don't buy it, no matter how gee whiz it looks. Even then, the programs don't always work, but I get stuck less.

Each time I also write to my Congressmen, Senators and even the White House, and I inform all of them that they are being held responsible for this failure of an operating system, due to their hands-on involvement with Mr. Geekdom. I also inform them that I use the same software for campaign donations and income tax filing. Therefore, I cannot be blamed if these activities are not correctly carried out and no monies are received by the government, since all Microsoft systems operatewith the explicit blessing of the same government. I get interesting responses, especially from elected officials who want those contributions. IRS gets a little nervous, too, but what can they do? I am merely a citizen attempting to comply with the laws and getting screwed by that same government. The IRS is perfectlyaware that it is aiming for 80% of all tax filings to be electronic by 2005, which means they are in the midst of a living nightmare.

It's a lot like judo - you just use the other guy's efforts against him.

rockymtndoc

Post #: 77
- 1/19/2003 6:22:18 PM   
Maliki

**** i wish i had that excuse when the locals came hunting me down for my back taxes;)

Post #: 78
- 1/20/2003 4:44:07 AM   
SLAAKMAN

BRAVO ROCKYMTNDOC!! THAT OUGHTA STICK IT INTO BIG BROTHERS (OR SISTERS, IF THE FEMINAZI'S HAVE THEIR WAY) CRAW!! DAMM THE TORPEDO'S, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

SARGE LAMENTED IN HIS OWN USUAL MELANCHOLIC STYLE;

The other day for instance, thanks to my meddling, I messed up
my printer settings. Now in 98 I would be once again frantic. But
this time it was easy. Delete default printer, and tell XP "oh I
need you to install my printer". It did. Not me, XP did it.

I bought a new video card in anticipation of getting Combat
Leader when it comes out eh. I did not set it up. XP did. I don't
know the first thing about doing that stuff.
Neither does 98. I had 98 installed as a secondary OS on my
secondary partition.
When it saw I had a new video card, it became brain dead
suddenly and wouldn't run. So I deleted 98. Stupid OS.

XP likes me. If it doesn't care for a couple of old games, I can
get over it. But a OS that doesn't like me, and won't help me
when I have trouble, no I don't need any OSs like them around.

IMAGINE THAT. CYNICAL, PRAGMATIC, AMATEURS MAKING AN ATTEMPT TO ADVISE THE EXPERTS. THE TAIL TRYING TO WAG THE WOLF. VERY BRAVE INDEED. SARGE I INVITE YOU ONTO THE FIELDS OF HONOR FOR A ROUND OF DELICIOUS CLOSE COMBAT WARFARE AT ZONE.COM OR MILITARYGAMERONLINE.COM'S NETCOMBAT ROOM. ITS HIGH NOON AND MY TRIGGER FINGER IS TWITCHIN'.:p :p :D
SLAAKATTAK

Post #: 79
- 1/20/2003 9:14:37 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

First let me say.

[SIZE=4]98 sucks[/SIZE]

Ok just so I made that clear.

This last weekend though I finally gave in and scratched an itch I have been ignoring.

You see I might know a few things about computers, but I am loathe to accept that I do.
A while back I had a buddy partition the 40 gig drive I have (best darned choice I have ever made too).
I load Windows on the 10 gig c drive portion of it (10 gigs seemed all I could ever justify).

I had for a time a copy of 98SE loaded onto the d drive section. This was so I could use my scanner (which has no frigging drivers available for XP, its an older scanner). The scanner is a perfectly good scanner (and buying a new one doesn't look likely today right here and now).
Then there was the matter of Operational Art of War Elite Edition Volume one, which will NOT run on XP. And as this game is numero 2 right after Steel Panthers with me, I am reluctant to part with it.
Plus I have SP2 (original cd) and SP3 (original cd) SPMBT (latest version too) and SPWW2 (latest as well), all of which run better (or at least with no fussing) on 98.

Now I am sure there is a long armed list of other games out there, that require some fussing to run on XP. But as they are all old games, I won't be buying them any time soon. And I don't have any other software that hates XP other than the above mentioned games.
So naturally I am not entirely concerned that there might be other games out there causing trouble.

And once I get access to Combat Leader Modern, or whatever it gets labelled (which I also hope stays within my hardware expectations), I will probably not fret unduly over SP2, and SPMBT. I will also likely make the move to not worrying over which is better SPWaW or SPWW2 once the WW2 part of Combat Leader is released (as it will not matter as much to me).

I am waiting for my Century of Warfare to arrive in the mail currently (hoping that I am blessed with that soon. So that will i n time leave just the scanner.
I think I can replace the scanner eventually.

And at that point I sure will be glad to never require my Win 98 SE cd anymore.

But anyway, this weekend I bit the bullet and decided I had to know. Could I correctly recreate what my friend had done for me, that is set up a dual OS on my computer.
When I installed my new video card, it wrecked all the setup of my 98 install and it was defacto useless. So I had deleted it.

But A. I wanted to know if I even knew how, and B. I wanted to use the scanner again.

Turns out I am a bit smarter than I thought:) Or at least I was able to install 98 to the d drive, then install XP (I use XP Pro) to the c drive.
And the neat part was, I was also able to figure out the hardware glitches conflicts or whatever the relevant term is, that was preventing me from having sound.

This involved a lot of repeated inserting of OS disks and manufacturers disks for drivers n such. I don't recommend it for a method to pass a saturday afternoon though.

But that is basically it. I was able to use the single best option where computers are concerned, the ability to have more than one partition on my hard drive.
This allowed me to install 98 on one and XP on the other. I am not sure, but I think this is an XP feature not found on 98.
If 98 can do this, it is not nearly as easy to do, as with XP at any rate.

Anyone that is unsure if they like 98 or XP or even Windows for that matter, really can do no better, than getting a nice sized hard drive, and enjoying the right to choose when they start their computer.

I still like XP better.
98 has already hung or stalled or did something that irked me in just 2 days. I can run my old games, and my scanner, but the OS is still willing to be crash prone Windows in it's 98 guise.

There is only one reason for using 98, you were forced into it.

Post #: 80
- 1/21/2003 2:12:24 AM   
SLAAKATTAK

"There is only one reason for using 98, you were forced into it."

AND I AM NOT GOING TO BE FORCED INTO XP OR 2K! YOURE SLIPPIN SARGE. THE XP ARGUMENT IS WEAKENING AND WILL FALL SHORT OF EXPECTATION. WE WHO ARE IN THE KNOW WILL STAY WITH THAT WHICH WORKS FOR US. MICROSCAMS ATTEMPT TO CORNER THE INTERNET MUST BE STOPPED! END COPYRIGHT LAW FOREVER. THE FUTURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION HANGS IN THE BALANCE.
SLAAKATTAK

Post #: 81
- 1/21/2003 7:30:52 AM   
Fred98

Les,

Now that you have WIN 98 you should play TAO2. A free download.

Post #: 82
- 1/21/2003 8:57:36 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]Les,

Now that you have WIN 98 you should play TAO2. A free download. [/B][/QUOTE] Are you nuts!!! Don't ever say that word to Les.:D

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 83
- 1/21/2003 9:50:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

What word specifically hehe.

Actually I have had the file for some time now.

I download any decent looking wargame download (decent looking = any game that might have a fan for it).

I have downloaded copies of all sorts of games actually (even the games I think suck personally).

Why, because wargamers help wargamers.

I don't think SPMBT is the best thing necessarily to happen to modern style Steel Panthers wargaming, but I wanted to try it.

Try as I might I could not download the file for love of money.
Mojo saw that I was vexed (I had commented on the forums here) and just up and mailed me a copy burned to cd of his own initiative.

I was very impressed. Impressed enough that I asked Matrix to create the "Hall of Heroes forum (yes that forum was my idea).
And I made Mojo Hero number One.

So that is basically why I have TAO2 on my system.

I ran the game install on XP, and it gets to the point where you have the game ready to play and hangs up.
It plays ok on 98, but the sound is not functioning for me (can't imagine why).

All in all the game's interface is acceptable, it has a board game look. The map is nice enough looking. Unit commands seem well enough done. Game looks like it will require the gamer to spend the time studying the controls a small bit.

The fact that it is free is obviously user friendly. It is a surprisingly nice game considering it's free.
I have only fiddled with it a few minutes in a few occasions, but I think it would be worth being asked for a few bucks at the very least.
I think being priced at 10 bucks in a bargain bin would not be unwarranted.

Post #: 84
- 1/21/2003 10:45:22 AM   
Brigz

[B]What word specifically hehe.[/B][/QUOTE]

Win98 :eek:

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 85
- 1/21/2003 11:17:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Oh THAT word heheh.

There are plenty of terms that bother me more, routinely heheh.

Most of them are terms used in religion though. Not much use for that sort of subject in here though, so I am safe.

Post #: 86
- 1/21/2003 4:35:43 PM   
Kraut

What is this about TAO2? I only know about TAO.

Post #: 87
- 1/21/2003 9:41:07 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLAAKATTAK
[B]"There is only one reason for using 98, you were forced into it."

AND I AM NOT GOING TO BE FORCED INTO XP OR 2K! YOURE SLIPPIN SARGE. THE XP ARGUMENT IS WEAKENING AND WILL FALL SHORT OF EXPECTATION. WE WHO ARE IN THE KNOW WILL STAY WITH THAT WHICH WORKS FOR US. MICROSCAMS ATTEMPT TO CORNER THE INTERNET MUST BE STOPPED! END COPYRIGHT LAW FOREVER. THE FUTURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION HANGS IN THE BALANCE.
SLAAKATTAK [/B][/QUOTE]

BEER

Post #: 88
- 1/21/2003 9:59:40 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

TAO2 latest version appears to be 2.4.0

Found at Wargamer apparently via this link (see download on page).

http://www.wargamer.com/wachtamrhein/

Game will not run in XP so be prepared for that.

Post #: 89
- 1/21/2003 10:20:02 PM   
Kraut

[B]TAO2 latest version appears to be 2.4.0

Found at Wargamer apparently via this link (see download on page).

http://www.wargamer.com/wachtamrhein/

Game will not run in XP so be prepared for that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! :)

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread