Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 12:41:12 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ddog
I couldn't think of a better ASW weapon than a small carrier full of SH-60's......Has anyone heard what type of Helo's they plan on using?

The other Helicopter destroyer carry mainly SH-60s but have had Ospreys land and take off.

Thats another puzzling thing, they already have two very similar ships but slightly in service, with barely a mention in any news item of that.

(in reply to Ddog)
Post #: 31
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 2:41:11 PM   
SuluSea

Good looking ship.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 32
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 3:32:24 PM   
Amoral

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

How, exactly, did the US "escalate" the war by dropping A-Bombs?

You don't recognize the difference between conventional and nuclear war? Most people do, which is why calling it an escalation makes sense.

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 33
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 3:47:52 PM   
Phanatikk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amoral

quote:

You don't recognize the difference between conventional and nuclear war? Most people do, which is why calling it an escalation makes sense.

As this was the "dawn" of the "atomic age," any "escalation" is a retroactive notion.

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 34
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 3:48:20 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amoral

quote:

And just what, may I ask, is this thing called "conventional"? Don't get me wrong, an A bomb is a terrible weapon. But then, there was nothing "conventional" about how Japan acted throughout this whole period.

I get really fused with people trying to fight a "clean" war. There is no such thing. War is homicide & terror on a giant scale. It's horrifying, and it should be. That would keep it from happening. This attitude of trying to fight a clean war is what so hampers the grunt on the ground, stuck doing something under rules written by some geek who has no callusses on his hands.

And this is about to get political. Mods, delete as needed. No offense or disrespect is intended.

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 35
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 4:07:04 PM   
greg_slith

At the time the A-Bomb was just another weapon, it wasn't considered to be anything more than a really, really big bomb. I fully understand how the use if one NOW would be an escalation of almost any conflict but THEN it was just the newest arrow in the quiver. I just take umbrage at the writer making judgemental statements 70 years after the fact. It's like saying the Confederates (or Union) escalated the war by using ironclads. War was total, and new tech was going to be used.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 36
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 4:15:37 PM   
catwhoorg

I agree, at the time it was seen to be an evolutionary weapon not revolutionary.

Much like Poison Gas in WWI. (and some campaigns in WWII). Its here, we the ability to use it, and it will help us win.

Not much further thought went into it.

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 37
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 5:13:40 PM   
DanNC

The decision makers did not consider the use of an atomic bomb an escalation. The use of the atomic bomb was implicit in the decision to MAKE the atomic bomb in the first place. The bomb was not needed to destroy Japanese cities, the US had more than enough air power, with more arriving each month, to wipe out Japanese cities. From the US Strategic Bombing Survey:

quote:

On 9 March 1945, a basic revision in the method of B-29 attack was instituted. It was decided to bomb the four principal Japanese cities at night from altitudes averaging 7,000 feet. Japanese weakness in night fighters and antiaircraft made this program feasible. Incendiaries were used instead of high-explosive bombs and the lower altitude permitted a substantial increase in bomb load per plane. One thousand six hundred and sixty-seven tons of bombs were dropped on Tokyo in the first attack. The chosen areas were saturated. Fifteen square miles of Tokyo's most densely populated area were burned to the ground. The weight and intensity of this attack caught the Japanese by surprise. No subsequent urban area attack was equally destructive. Two days later, an attack of similar magnitude on Nagoya destroyed 2 square miles. In a period of 10 days starting 9 March, a total of 1,595 sorties delivered 9,373 tons of bombs against Tokyo, Nagoya, Osake, and Kobe destroying 31 square miles of those cities at a cost of 22 airplanes. The generally destructive effect of incendiary attacks against Japanese cities had been demonstrated.

There would have been 3-4 months of bombing, August to November, before the invasion of Kyushu which meant quite a few Japanese cities were going to be destroyed. From the survey,
quote:

Monthly tonnage dropped increased from 13,800 tons in March to 42,700 tons in July, and, with the activation of the Eighth Air Force on Okinawa, would have continued to increase thereafter to a planned figure of 115,000 tons per month, had the war not come to an end.
The plan was to drop 10 times as many bombs used during the month of the Tokyo raid leading up to the invasion and there after.

To put this in perspective, the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki could easily have been done with a few hundred bombers:

quote:

The Survey has estimated that the damage and casualties caused at Hiroshima by the one atomic bomb dropped from a single plane would have required 220 B-29s carrying 1,200 tons of incendiary bombs, 400 tons of high-explosive bombs, and 500 tons of anti-personnel fragmentation bombs, if conventional weapons, rather than an atomic bomb, had been used. One hundred and twenty-five B-29s carrying 1,200 tons of bombs would have been required to approximate the damage and casualties at Nagasaki. This estimate pre-supposed bombing under conditions similar to those existing when the atomic bombs were dropped and bombing accuracy equal to the average attained by the Twentieth Air Force during the last 3 months of the war.

If Truman had not used the atomic bombs, and the invasion had taken place, he would have been impeached at best. Too much money had been spent on the bomb and to not use a weapon that would save hundreds of thousands of allied casualties would have been treasonous. The atomic bomb was viewed as just another weapon. Marshal wanted to use a number of atomic bombs to isolate Kyushu by bombing other cities but there were not enough bombs in the inventory, nor could enough be built, in time for the Kyushu invasion. The Japanese expected to loose 20% of the their population during the invasion. It is not clear if that 20% was all civilians and soldiers, or just civilians, but that is still 20 million Japanese. Japanese starvation was starting when the atomic bombs ended the war and, ironically, the supplies allocated for the invasion kept the Japanese from starvation.

quote:

The growing food shortage was the principal factor affecting the health and vigor of the Japanese people. Prior to Pearl Harbor the average per capita caloric intake of the Japanese people was about 2,000 calories as against 3,400 in the United States. The acreage of arable land in Japan is only 3 percent of that of the United States to support a population over half as large. In order to provide the prewar diet, this arable acreage was more intensively cultivated, using more manpower and larger quantities of fertilizer than in any other country in the world; fishing was developed into a major industry; and rice, soybeans and other foodstuffs amounting to 19 percent of the caloric intake were imported. Despite the rationing of food beginning in April 1941 the food situation became critical. As the war progressed, imports became more and more difficult, the waters available to the fishing fleet and the ships and fuel oil for its use became increasingly restricted. Domestic food production itself was affected by the drafting of the younger males and by an increasing shortage of fertilizers.

By 1944, the average per capita caloric intake had declined to approximately 1,900 calories. By the summer of 1945 it was about 1,680 calories per capita. Coal miners and heavy industrial workers received higher-than-average rations, the remaining populace, less. The average diet suffered even more drastically from reductions in fats, vitamins and minerals required for balance and adversely affected rates of recovery and mortality from disease and bomb injuries.

The invasion of Kyushu was going to be a major escalation of the war. Millions of Japanese would be casualties along with hundreds of thousands of allied casualties. The use of the atomic bombs was a DEESCALATION since it ENDED the war.

Later,
Dan

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 38
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 6:32:28 PM   
Nemo121

quote:

The use of the atomic bombs was a DEESCALATION since it ENDED the war.

I'm not going to get into the "Was dropping the A-bomb right/an escalation/caused by an outbreak of tribbles?" debate BUT arguing that the A-Bomb use was a de-escalation cause it stopped the war is like arguing that shooting a man to death who you were in a fist-fight with is a de-escalation since it stopped the fist fight. It is utter balderdashed nonsense.

Using the A-bomb was either an escalation OR simply a more impressive way to kill fewer people than had been killed in a given night in previous massed incendiary raids on Tokyo. The one thing it most certainly wasn't was a de-escalation.

Next time you have an argument I suggest you try shooting the other person dead in an effort to "end" the argument and use your de-escalation defence. Be sure to let me know how that works out for you

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to DanNC)
Post #: 39
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 7:19:42 PM   
DanNC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

quote:

Next time you have an argument I suggest you try shooting the other person dead in an effort to "end" the argument and use your de-escalation defence. Be sure to let me know how that works out for you

Your comparison is not even remotely close.

To use deadly force to end an argument is asinine and illegal.

Did the use of the atomic bombs end the war? The answer is yes. That is a deescalation since the war ENDED. If the bombs had not been used, the invasion would almost certainly have happened, and the blood shed would have been far, far worse than what had been already been seen. The invasion would have been an escalation in the war since more people would have died. Millions would have died compared to the relative few at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Later,
Dan

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 40
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 7:38:37 PM   
Amoral

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanNC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

quote:

Your comparison is not even remotely close.

To use deadly force to end an argument is asinine and illegal.

Did the use of the atomic bombs end the war? The answer is yes. That is a deescalation since the war ENDED. If the bombs had not been used, the invasion would almost certainly have happened, and the blood shed would have been far, far worse than what had been already been seen. The invasion would have been an escalation in the war since more people would have died. Millions would have died compared to the relative few at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Later,
Dan

Or the US could have negotiated a peace. Japan wanted to surrender conditionally. Don't pretend there were only two options.

(in reply to DanNC)
Post #: 41
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 8:44:46 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I get really fused with people trying to fight a "clean" war.

Agreed, but we have been getting pretty good at that since Nam, and it looks like we're not done reducing collateral damage. People go whacko over the most minor incidental atrocity these days. I think we're doing much better than they were during the Napoleonic wars, which was another period of "clean" warfare, relatively.

Incidentally, it appears that US soldier who went out of control in that Afghan village was being medicated by the military, as many of our soldiers in the fight have been, and as a result he doesn't seem to remember any of it. It's like being on Amb**n or something. I forget what the purpose of the med was, but it appears they're backing off of it's use.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 42
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/9/2013 10:53:42 PM   
Nemo121

geofflambert,

The psychotropic medicines most commonly used by the US Army in warzones seem to be ( according the literature investigating their impact on soldiers ):
1. Amphetamines ( can cause psychosis, hallucination, decision-making issues and appear to predispose to inappropriate emotional processing of events leading to PTSD. There are also effects on the processing of memory - which isn't like a recording, as most people think it is ).

2. Hypnotics and benzodiazepines ( to cause sleep/help come down from amphetamines etc - again these can cause derealisation/depersonalisation, difficulties with emotional processing and the processing of memories not to mention disturbed sleep states etc. One of the commonly prescribed ones is even a date rape drug ( the primary characteristic of these drugs is the inducement of fugue-like states with disturbance in the processing and laying down of memories ).

3. Anti-depressants: Used for their anxiolytic ( anti-anxiety ) and anti-depressant effects. Also, from what I can see, being used to boost resilience to stressors. Most common ones used are Selective Serotonin Inhibitors such as Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Escitalopram. The first two seem to predominate.

4. Codeine-containing medications which, as ever, can be abused, engender addiction and all of the processing, memory and decision-making issues which come with addiction.

Overall it is no wonder the suicide rates and familial ( and stranger ) homicide rates among recently returned soldiers have skyrocketed since 2003/4 when multiple tour commitments really started to take a toll. Most of the side-effects and atrocities associated with these meds are, undoubtedly, buried within larger engagements and only come to the surface when the incident involves one or very few men and occurs outside of the context of a patrol ( where the presence of dead women and children cannot be explained away as easily as the presence of dead men of military age ).

Depending on the mix of meds you look at I've read medical reports which talk of approximately 25% of troops in-theatre ( that includes the REMFs etc ) being on some form of psychotropic medication. It seems reasonable that even accounting for increased emotional fragility of those who only signed up for the educational benefits and found themselves in Assistan or somewhere similar and their increased propensity to seek chemical tranquilisation that those at the sharp end of things have more then 25% of the troops there on meds.

I've treated several ex-soldiers from the US Army, Marines etc. Mostly from the pre-2005 deployments including several who were heavily involved in Fallujah and they all reported extremely high rates of the doling out of multiple psychotropics meds on an almost no-questions asked basis with troops self-selecting amongst multiple medications based on the psychological effect they wished ( e.g. choosing between more hypnotics to sleep or benzos to relax or codeine when they wanted to get a bit of a buzz etc ). It was all very much in keeping with the sorts of poor decision-making and excess ( execution of enemy wounded etc ) which was reported at the time (most of these meds cause disinhibition, decreased adherence to rules/laws, can cause emotional states where people feel rules don't apply to them and certainly would impinge empathy and on the functional working of a military chain of command ) and also very much laid the groundwork for massive psychological problems when these guys tried to re-integrate into normal life.

DanNC,
I suggest you look up de-escalation in the dictionary. The definitions all discuss de-escalation as a means of avoiding an increase in the quantity or quality of a commitment/violence etc. They do NOT tie the ending of a state of commitment ( to a war, to a doctrine, to supporting a company or team etc ) to the notion of de-escalation.

I know you'll probably want to argue that you're right irrespective of the objective reality of the hermeneutics and etymology of the word de-escalation but, really, the hermeneutics of the situation are irrefutable.

As you can see the root of "to escalate" is "escalade" which not only has a socially hermeneutic meaning of to increase but actually has its physical root in the use of ladders to "scale" a defensive wall. That takes us back to the 16th Century. We can go back to Roman times and see that the Italian root is "scalate" - to scale, to climb and the Latin root is "scandere". There are Hebrew roots also but I don't think there's much point going into that.

Basically escalate has the socially hermeneutic connotation of "to increase" and "to climb". There is NO intimation that it is linked to the ending of the action or the ending of a state of conflict. Thus to de-escalate has no inherent linkage to the ending of a state of being or motion, it, instead, refers to the direction of that motion. You may infer that meaning but socially you aren't a sufficiently large group of people to effect a shift in the hermeneutics of the word.

I don't normally bother going into that level of detail but, really, to say dropping an atomic bomb is a de-escalation is so wrong-headed that it deserves to be fully challenged. Nothing personal.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 8/9/2013 10:57:20 PM >

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 43
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/10/2013 12:46:42 AM   
geofflambert

Found it. It is an anti-malarial drug. (I'm allergic to quinine, by the way). Here's a report on it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/25/robert-bales-malaria-drug_n_1378671.html

It doesn't have to be psychotropic for you to have a bad reaction to it, I'm sure only a small percentage will be affected, but how small? Nobody knows. But the rest of that stuff needs looking into as well.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/10/2013 12:49:34 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 44
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/10/2013 12:48:35 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

[/quote]

Or the US could have negotiated a peace. Japan wanted to surrender conditionally. Don't pretend there were only two options.
[/quote]

The Postdam declaration was the Allies' very generous offer to peace. An unconditional surrender, but to very specific and fair terms.

check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Declaration

Any peace that did not root, forever, Japanese militarist culture was not going to be acceptable.
The failures of the WW1 peace treaties were too close to memory of all Allied war leaders to accept the kind of surrender Japan would had liked

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 45
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/10/2013 12:48:56 AM   
Terminus

And then the thread went off the rails... The end.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 46
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/10/2013 2:32:49 AM   
bradfordkay

It appears to me that the Japanese have learned one major lesson from WW2 and that is as an island nation, ASW is the primary mission for their fleet. The Izumo is a nice addition...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 47
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/10/2013 4:31:59 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

As long as Japan is under the protection of the USN; it won't make sense to build full carriers; ASW platforms are better for the job of protecting Japan from the 2 main threats: China and N Korea.

That said, building, maintaining and operating those ships will also let them learn valuable lessons in case the existing political scenario change in a near future

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 48
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/11/2013 1:43:45 AM   
Capt Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
Yep, we seemed to have no problem with Germany re-arming. I doubt that there is a Western power that would be interested in interfering with Japanese defense concerns. Peace terms or not. Personally, I think that Japan's limited military spending has helped them economically over the intervening years. Costs a lost of GDP to have a large military.

...as the USSR found, to its detriment.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 49
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/11/2013 2:40:29 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

quote:

Yep, we seemed to have no problem with Germany re-arming. I doubt that there is a Western power that would be interested in interfering with Japanese defense concerns. Peace terms or not. Personally, I think that Japan's limited military spending has helped them economically over the intervening years. Costs a lost of GDP to have a large military.

I saw today in the paper that Japan's national debt has reached one quadrillion yen. I think they said something about how many times a stack of that many yen would reach the moon and back, and back etc. If their strategy of not having a defense was to allow them to develop a stronger economy, I guess that didn't work out so well. The article I was reading also said that the US debt was bigger, but a much smaller percentage of the GDP. Actually, they've been building their defense establishment for quite some time now. Their fleet of destroyers is substantial as well as their sub-surface arm.

To be blunt, their main problem is their racist culture that makes it so difficult for them to attract and sustain immigration. Since their reproduction rate is and has been negative for some time now, they are doomed if they don't fix that. This can serve as a warning to the US as well, as we're experiencing a level of xenophobia that's nearly unprecedented, and our country was built on immigration and yet we seem to be insistent on cutting our own throats. Don't like immigrants? Make more babies. We're still in positive territory on replacement reproduction, but just barely and the trend is definitely headed into negative territory. Most of Europe is in the same spot and has been for quite a while, and their solution has been letting in anyone who wants to come (with the notable exception of the UK), and not being selective as far as the educational value of the immigrants goes, as well as turning a blind eye to cultures which do not accept democracy and in fact reject it utterly.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/11/2013 3:05:20 AM >

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 50
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/11/2013 6:40:51 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

quote:

I saw today in the paper that Japan's national debt has reached one quadrillion yen. I think they said something about how many times a stack of that many yen would reach the moon and back, and back etc. If their strategy of not having a defense was to allow them to develop a stronger economy, I guess that didn't work out so well. The article I was reading also said that the US debt was bigger, but a much smaller percentage of the GDP. Actually, they've been building their defense establishment for quite some time now. Their fleet of destroyers is substantial as well as their sub-surface arm.

To be blunt, their main problem is their racist culture that makes it so difficult for them to attract and sustain immigration. Since their reproduction rate is and has been negative for some time now, they are doomed if they don't fix that. This can serve as a warning to the US as well, as we're experiencing a level of xenophobia that's nearly unprecedented, and our country was built on immigration and yet we seem to be insistent on cutting our own throats. Don't like immigrants? Make more babies. We're still in positive territory on replacement reproduction, but just barely and the trend is definitely headed into negative territory. Most of Europe is in the same spot and has been for quite a while, and their solution has been letting in anyone who wants to come (with the notable exception of the UK), and not being selective as far as the educational value of the immigrants goes, as well as turning a blind eye to cultures which do not accept democracy and in fact reject it utterly.
warspite1

Apologies if I have I misunderstood what you wrote, but are you suggesting the UK is tougher on immigration than the rest of Europe? If you are then I can confirm you are about as wrong as its possible to be.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10055613/Labour-sent-out-search-parties-for-immigrants-Lord-Mandelson-admits.html

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 51
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/11/2013 2:34:42 PM   
Chickenboy

On a happy, and equally non-sequitor note as posted above, I am pleased to hear that UK Birth rate has risen to a 40-year high again. Congrats Dixie and Warspite1, you cheeky little devils. Keeping the British end up what what...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 52
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/11/2013 9:32:07 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

On a happy, and equally non-sequitor note as posted above, I am pleased to hear that UK Birth rate has risen to a 40-year high again. Congrats Dixie and Warspite1, you cheeky little devils. Keeping the British end up what what...

I hear the WITP:AE Manual makes a great stocking stuffer for the wee ones.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 53
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/11/2013 9:38:57 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Apologies if I have I misunderstood what you wrote, but are you suggesting the UK is tougher on immigration than the rest of Europe? If you are then I can confirm you are about as wrong as its possible to be.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10055613/Labour-sent-out-search-parties-for-immigrants-Lord-Mandelson-admits.html

I've seen stories about immigrants in France trying to get into the UK any which way but mostly failing. They did get into France first, though. France isn't surrounded by a moat, of course.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 54
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/11/2013 9:40:32 PM   
Terminus

Wow, how this thread keeps on its original topic...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 55
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/12/2013 5:51:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I've seen stories about immigrants in France trying to get into the UK any which way but mostly failing. They did get into France first, though. France isn't surrounded by a moat, of course.
warspite1

Believe me the English Channel is no defence when our weak governments are so incompetent/devious.

Post #: 56
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/12/2013 4:26:15 PM   
Mobeer

quote:

ORIGINAL: fodder
From the pics it looks like it has only one elevator, shouldn't there be at least two?

Two I think:
- deck edge elevator to the left shot in the first picture (shown down)
- centre line elevator just in front of the superstructure (raised in first picture)

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 57
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/12/2013 6:14:27 PM   
Bo Rearguard

Another addition to the carrier building club. India just launched it's first home built carrier--the Vikrant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23674627

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 58
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/12/2013 8:21:55 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

Another addition to the carrier building club. India just launched it's first home built carrier--the Vikrant.

In 2010, the World Bank reported that 32.7% of the total Indian people fall below the international poverty line of US$ 1.25 per day (PPP) while 68.7% live on less than US$ 2 per day... but of course, they need a fleet of expensive carriers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 59
RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... - 8/12/2013 8:24:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

In 2010, the World Bank reported that 32.7% of the total Indian people fall below the international poverty line of US$ 1.25 per day (PPP) while 68.7% live on less than US$ 2 per day... but of course, they need a fleet of expensive carriers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India
warspite1

They also have a space program.....

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI