Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/13/2013 9:49:26 PM   
Nemo121

Productivity is over-rated.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3091
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/13/2013 10:02:58 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Hey Obvert-pay up!

Not quite yet!

This is a really odd turn. I think we all struggle with how much time and energy this game takes away from our other pursuits, family, friends. The other things we could be doing that are actually respected and valued by society.

Still, there is something to it.

My gut feeling is that this game will go on, but I could be wrong. Maybe Dan will really hang up his Aleutians map mousepad and retire from the game to form a numerical code generation start-up company in his garage. Maybe he'll continue writing poetry in the afternoons at work and fill his time by cutting up his driver's licence and walking everywhere all of the time from now on. He might even decide to become a storm chaser.

Whatever happens, I hope he sticks around here.

< Message edited by obvert -- 8/13/2013 10:04:02 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3092
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/13/2013 10:24:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
This is a really odd turn. I think we all struggle with how much time and energy this game takes away from our other pursuits, family, friends.

Times like these when I fall back on the wisdom of one of my heroes: C. Montgomery Burns.

I'll keep it short and sweet. Family, religion, friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. When opportunity knocks, you don't want to be driving to a maternity hospital or sitting in some phony-baloney church. Or synagogue.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3093
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/13/2013 10:41:47 PM   
Canoerebel

One time Ann Landers wrote that she'd never heard a businessman on his deathbed complain that he hadn't spent enough time at work.

I am that man. I have the most laid back lifestyle and work routine since Henry David Thoreau. But it took a bit of wrangling to get out of the grasp of the pernicious workaday world.

When I was still a young lawyer, my wife had our third child. I was at the hospital with her when I got a frantic call from my office. One of our senior partners demanded that I come in to revise a draft of an answer or some other pleading that was due in a few days. That was the clarion-call moment that told me I was not going to spend the rest of my working days in the law firm.

Life is sweet if you stay out of courtrooms and don't bill by the hour (or six-minute increments thereof).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/13/2013 10:42:10 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3094
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/14/2013 3:08:20 AM   
Cribtop

True words, Dan. I had to be late to my Dad's retirement party... In Dallas, a city he didn't like but he did the party there so I could attend... I gave a month's notice... That I would leave the office at 4pm that Friday... I was still late. I hated being a big firm attorney.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3095
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/14/2013 5:51:12 PM   
Crackaces

I had PM'ed CR ... But I have found njp72 to be more than a unique and challenging opponent. One that is perfecting the AutoVictory Challenge that CR is/was so looking for in a scenario #1 situation ..let alone scenario #2 .. his plan is to ignore PI and Singapore and attack either Oz or India (India in my game) to completely disrupt the Allies for the first 24 months of the war. I believe CR would be quite challenged by njp72 ...

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 3096
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 3:52:18 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

One time Ann Landers wrote that she'd never heard a businessman on his deathbed complain that he hadn't spent enough time at work.

I am that man. I have the most laid back lifestyle and work routine since Henry David Thoreau. But it took a bit of wrangling to get out of the grasp of the pernicious workaday world.

When I was still a young lawyer, my wife had our third child. I was at the hospital with her when I got a frantic call from my office. One of our senior partners demanded that I come in to revise a draft of an answer or some other pleading that was due in a few days. That was the clarion-call moment that told me I was not going to spend the rest of my working days in the law firm.

Life is sweet if you stay out of courtrooms and don't bill by the hour (or six-minute increments thereof).

Back in the mid 90's I had a fairly senior position in a large Australian company.

I had worked my guts out to get a position beyond my educational standard, hard work, long hours etc brought the reputation which led to advancement.
I fell ill and took some 4-5 mths to get reasonably better.

Our Brisbane Manager had a Heart attack at the same time, he had been with the company for about 30 years.

When he got back to work we had a talk on the phone comparing notes.

His call was you spend 30 years with the company and die, you get a bigger bouquet of flowers at your funeral.

I now work in a job which i enjoy, 5 minute drive from home and if I want, sit back and watch the scenery or the wildlife!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3097
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 5:05:15 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

Back in the mid 90's I had a fairly senior position in a large Australian company.

I had worked my guts out to get a position beyond my educational standard, hard work, long hours etc brought the reputation which led to advancement.
I fell ill and took some 4-5 mths to get reasonably better.

Our Brisbane Manager had a Heart attack at the same time, he had been with the company for about 30 years.

When he got back to work we had a talk on the phone comparing notes.

His call was you spend 30 years with the company and die, you get a bigger bouquet of flowers at your funeral.

I now work in a job which i enjoy, 5 minute drive from home and if I want, sit back and watch the scenery or the wildlife!

So you're the bartender at Walkabout Creek! Croc Dundee would be happy with your change of outlook!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 3098
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 6:33:46 AM   
JeffroK

nah, i'd be drinking the profits.

I work in defence, well near de fence anyway.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3099
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 10:21:31 AM   
Knucles2

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

nah, i'd be drinking the profits.

I work in defence, well near de fence anyway.

Wow.
Isn't there a rule about this kind of verbal offense?
Some kind of pun ishment????

< Message edited by Knucles2 -- 8/15/2013 10:23:01 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 3100
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 7:29:03 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Wow.
Isn't there a rule about this kind of verbal offense?
Some kind of pun ishment????

I think CR used to run a kangaroo court for gross misuse of the English language and terrible stupid gameplay like attacking another carrier task force with all of your planes set to training. He was also penalizing geography misspelling but GreyJoy couldn't pay out anymore. I thought Dan got to run it because he was the only one with legal expertise but as it turns out just about everyone here is an attorney of some sort, and yet they still seem like decent people.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Knucles2)
Post #: 3101
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 7:56:33 PM   
Canoerebel

I forgot about the Kangaroo Court! It might be worthwhile resurrecting, but GreyJoy's advent in the Forums turned it from an occasional to a never-ceasing tribunal. I think Tom Label's posting of the Alabama "Jiffy Pop" girl and AU Tiger's posting of the rather frightening Auburn lass might merit charges to be considered by the Kangaroo Court.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3102
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 8:05:15 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I forgot about the Kangaroo Court! It might be worthwhile resurrecting, but GreyJoy's advent in the Forums turned it from an occasional to a never-ceasing tribunal. I think Tom Label's posting of the Alabama "Jiffy Pop" girl and AU Tiger's posting of the rather frightening Auburn lass might merit charges to be considered by the Kangaroo Court.

Looking at the semi-pro cheerleader pic I got a flash of Fall, 2041. In a small bar near campus she sits grasping a G&T served in a flagon, 12.9% silicone (by weight), a "secret" tattoo known only to the Sigma Chi house, considering her third and final attempt on the overnighting ball bearing salesman from Beloit. The American Dream, lads. The American Dream.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3103
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 8:23:10 PM   
Canoerebel

Yikes! I have no idea what you're talking about, Moose. First, Geoff the Gorn, now Moose the Obtuse!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3104
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 8:32:20 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Ah, yes....GreyJoy. I seem to recall an R-rated penguin picture...went to the court..then the courts went to secret courts.....for our own protection....slippery slope

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3105
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 9:21:01 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Yikes! I have no idea what you're talking about, Moose. First, Geoff the Gorn, now Moose the Obtuse!

I was referring to the "frightening Auburn lass" and her possible future. At some point ya gotta leave college.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3106
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 9:54:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Ooh...can I suggest a case for hearing before the Kangaroo court?

There's a school I know that has a certain brachycephalic dog with congenital difficulty with stridor and normal breathing. It's got a ridiculous name, is accompanied by festoons of drool wherever it goes, is overweight and has difficulty walking.

May I ask the court for a motion to replace their sports mascot with something that can live with limited human surgical intervention? This particular sports division has already got plenty of tiger-themed mascots already, so that noble beast is out. The big cats are kind of passe anyways. Rodentia are underrepresented in this (and most) sports divisions. There are some outstanding-really outstanding-examples of rodentia-themed sports teams though.

May I then propose the adoption of the Hispid Cotton Rat Sigmodon hispidus? It's native to GA, it's namesake harkens back to the production of cotton as a historical touchstone, it's new and ever so cool looking. Here's a nice picture-cute little guy...:

So-Kangaroo court-here is my case: Change the UGA mascot from some snoring dog to a cute historically accurate local species? What say ye?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3107
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 10:56:28 PM   
Canoerebel

This particular strategem aint got legs, Chickenboy. Georgia's mascot was declared the nation's best by Sports Illustrated some years ago. The competition wasn't tough. War Chickems (Auburn), Tigers (ad nauseum, as you note), Bannana Slugs, Thundering Herd, Crimson Tide, Cardinal, Orange, Buckeyes (a tree?), Hawkeyes (a butterfly?), Corn Huskers (what the heck?), Golden Gophers, Terrapins, Nittany Lions, Green Wave (ack!).

I'm not big on mascots, but I do happen to know the owner of the UGA line since he happened to write a story for the magazine a few years ago. He's a prominent lawyer in Savannah, so he'll probably represent himself in the Court of Yonder Kangaroo.

But there are some dadgum good mascots: Hurricanes, Seminoles, Badgers, Wolverines, Longhorns, Black Bears (U. Maine), Lobos, Buffaloes, Utes, Rebels, Wolfpack, Volunteers, Cavaliers, Mountaineers, Catamounts.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3108
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 11:36:08 PM   
desicat

Sparty

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by desicat -- 8/15/2013 11:40:57 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3109
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/15/2013 11:36:34 PM   
Cribtop

True, but UT has the biggest mascot. Plus, if things get tough, free briscuit!

I also love that S. Carolina uses the Gamecock. Perfect metaphor for the state: small, mean, crazy and a bit politically incorrect. Not to mention all the juvenile innuendo that comes from naming the Gamecock "Sir Big Spur." Classic.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3110
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 12:49:23 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

True, but UT has the biggest mascot. Plus, if things get tough, free briscuit!

Colorado's bison would give it a run if they didn't use a baby.

The Moose

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 3111
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 4:13:40 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Thanks for the Wolverine shoutout. And yes, what exactly is a buckeye?

On a game note, in his AAR John sounds pretty psyched to resume hostilities on Monday.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3112
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 5:18:21 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

This particular strategem aint got legs, Chickenboy. Georgia's mascot was declared the nation's best by Sports Illustrated some years ago. The competition wasn't tough. War Chickems (Auburn), Tigers (ad nauseum, as you note), Bannana Slugs, Thundering Herd, Crimson Tide, Cardinal, Orange, Buckeyes (a tree?), Hawkeyes (a butterfly?), Corn Huskers (what the heck?), Golden Gophers, Terrapins, Nittany Lions, Green Wave (ack!).

I'm not big on mascots, but I do happen to know the owner of the UGA line since he happened to write a story for the magazine a few years ago. He's a prominent lawyer in Savannah, so he'll probably represent himself in the Court of Yonder Kangaroo.

But there are some dadgum good mascots: Hurricanes, Seminoles, Badgers, Wolverines, Longhorns, Black Bears (U. Maine), Lobos, Buffaloes, Utes, Rebels, Wolfpack, Volunteers, Cavaliers, Mountaineers, Catamounts.

If you want to talk about oddball mascots, I present you with the Evergreen State College mascot "Speedy Geoduck" (pronounced "gooeyduck")

Attachment (1)

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3113
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 5:44:49 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

If you want to talk about oddball mascots, I present you with the Evergreen State College mascot "Speedy Geoduck" (pronounced "gooeyduck")

I don't have the words...

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3114
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 7:05:58 AM   
CaptBeefheart

"Speedy Geoduck?" That's gotta be one of the world's best oxymorons.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3115
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 12:56:52 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Thanks for the Wolverine shoutout. And yes, what exactly is a buckeye?

On a game note, in his AAR John sounds pretty psyched to resume hostilities on Monday.

Cheers,
CC

THE Ohio State University's 'mascot' is something off a tree. It's a 'nut' from the buckeye tree. As we like to point out re: Buckeyes-a "worthless, hairy nut". Cuz it is / they are.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 8/16/2013 12:57:15 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 3116
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 1:32:02 PM   
obvert

Beware the Fighting DUCKS!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3117
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 1:50:53 PM   
JohnDillworth

I present to you the mascot of Delta State....the Fighting Okra

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3118
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 3:10:41 PM   
pws1225

How about the Burrowing Owls from Florida Atlantic University?

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3119
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 8/16/2013 3:30:07 PM   
Canoerebel

lol
lol
lol

Gooey-Ducks!

Hey, Burrowing Owls sounds pretty good. I also like Cowboys, Jayhawks, Cyclones, Sycamores (hey, if you can have Buckeyes, why not the most massive trees of the eastern USA?), Fighting Sioux, Boilermakers, Yellow Jackets, Horned Frogs, and Rainbows ("Hit him hard! Oh, do!").

In the not so great category: Commodores, Trojans, Spartans, Illini, and Fighting Irish.

And what the heck is the mascot and nickname for Rutgers?

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 3120
Page:   <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI