Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mistakes...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Mistakes... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mistakes... - 7/27/2013 2:44:40 AM   
brian brian

oh and I like to re-org the Russian reserves with HQ units and re-org the HQ with their offensive chit if they become threatened by the German advance. In 1940 the Russians could regroup 7 reserves this way and most likely wouldn't have to use a chit to save the HQs. Those blue pieces had better be darn busy though.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 31
RE: Mistakes... - 7/27/2013 2:50:02 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

To return to this threads original purpose (mea culpa for the digression):

The French attacking the Germans across the Rhine is another common beginner's mistake. Disorganizing the French units is almost guaranteed, the amount of damage to the Germans is rarely anything significant, advancing after combat is even most foolish since it increases the German production multiple and all French units in the line become vulnerable to counter-attacks.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 32
RE: Mistakes... - 7/27/2013 3:52:51 AM   
brian brian

but what if the French get enough across the Rhine to align Yugoslavia? Say against a noob German player thinking, hey, I'll sucker the French into giving me a BP boost...

and a final Barb 40 thought, a fascinating theoretical campaign for me. I'll have to try it sometime. The French/German border is short of course. But the German/Belgian border adds several hexes to it, and I think oddly enough the attacking French would be on interior lines, a rare thing. The French could afford to attack a bit recklessly as the Germans couldn't easily shift back to the west, and their army does improve steadily. If the French were scared to attack, that would mean the Germans have less advancing into Russia. And the Tommies should be busy hurling divisions at the Danish Coast until successful on some sort of lucky invasion / double turn gambit when Gort + Corps unit lands. Or they could invade Norway in 1940 to achieve the same end - a naval base on the Baltic. Or other potential adventures. A fun game for sure, for both sides.

A common generic mistake is to literally 'lose' units. A player puts a nice unit somewhere and then leaves it there for a year or more, doing relatively nothing. Have seen it time and again, might not be any different on the computer version. The burning world is pretty big.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 33
RE: Mistakes... - 7/27/2013 9:32:17 AM   
Neilster

That's why it's a good idea to step through one's units in turn before ending a phase.

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 34
RE: Mistakes... - 7/27/2013 5:52:24 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

but what if the French get enough across the Rhine to align Yugoslavia? Say against a noob German player thinking, hey, I'll sucker the French into giving me a BP boost...

and a final Barb 40 thought, a fascinating theoretical campaign for me. I'll have to try it sometime. The French/German border is short of course. But the German/Belgian border adds several hexes to it, and I think oddly enough the attacking French would be on interior lines, a rare thing. The French could afford to attack a bit recklessly as the Germans couldn't easily shift back to the west, and their army does improve steadily. If the French were scared to attack, that would mean the Germans have less advancing into Russia. And the Tommies should be busy hurling divisions at the Danish Coast until successful on some sort of lucky invasion / double turn gambit when Gort + Corps unit lands. Or they could invade Norway in 1940 to achieve the same end - a naval base on the Baltic. Or other potential adventures. A fun game for sure, for both sides.

A common generic mistake is to literally 'lose' units. A player puts a nice unit somewhere and then leaves it there for a year or more, doing relatively nothing. Have seen it time and again, might not be any different on the computer version. The burning world is pretty big.

For a couple dozen phases in the game, the Selectable Units form appears, which identifies all the units that can move during the phase. Its unlikely that you'll 'lose' an air unit in MWIF since that form appears for all the air mission phases as well as the Naval Air and Air Rebase phases.

The form for the Production Planning phases has a check box for "return all unused convoys to port" so those should not get 'lost' either. Naval units at sea have to either stay-at-sea or return-to-base every turn.

However, land units in general and naval units in port are still at risk of collecting cobwebs. As Neilster said, you can use the MWIF commands to cycle through all the units eligible to move in a phase (e.g., land movement & naval movement) to make sure you haven't forgotten someone.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 7/27/2013 5:53:11 PM >

Steve

Post #: 35
RE: Mistakes... - 7/27/2013 8:46:26 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Easo79

quote:

ORIGINAL: jelake

As CW, not garrisoning Gibraltar.

Fine!

I am becoming rather serious at learning the game. I have just bought a penbook (paper, old style)...and I have commenced to take notes.

So...please..could you elaborate at this? One corps as garrison? A division would do the trick?

How it depends on other factors? For instance, one unit at start and afterwards to reinforce it when Germany arrives to the Pyrinees, just in case our beloved Franco let Hitler in?

Is it possible to lose Gibraltar already in turn 1 to a Paradroop Assault? Do I need to prevent that, or it is not possible (-too much distance, transport unavailable??)

Have you looked through the Players' Notes in the Scenario Booklet? Lots of good advice for new players:

http://davecoble.com/WiF/Raw7scenario.pdf

Cruss you are coming aboard welcome, good to see you with a positive comment when the game is released I may need to pick your brain, a brain that probably holds the key to many victorious situations that I will be needing in the years to come.

Bo

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 36
RE: Mistakes... - 8/2/2013 9:25:07 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Interesting. My usual first turn build with the Soviets is the Para; whether it's a 40 barb, or a 41 barb, or threatening the Finns, I find that the flexibility of the Para combined with those super long ranged Soviet 4 engine guys makes him the single best build you can make.

The threat of having him jump somewhere is often stronger than any arm or mech.

Also, don't forget, not everyone plays 2D10 all the time; if you're using 1D10, arms and mechs suddenly become a lot less valuable.

EDIT: As to the OP, I think the biggest mistake is just forgetting to move guys. I know when I first started playing, I would constantly forget a seazone to guard properly when sorting out my British naval defenses, and then BAM, the Scharnhorst and Gnisenau and the pocket battleships would show up there, like magic.

< Message edited by Ur_Vile_WEdge -- 8/2/2013 9:29:31 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: Mistakes... - 8/3/2013 6:13:58 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Interesting. My usual first turn build with the Soviets is the Para; whether it's a 40 barb, or a 41 barb, or threatening the Finns, I find that the flexibility of the Para combined with those super long ranged Soviet 4 engine guys makes him the single best build you can make.

The threat of having him jump somewhere is often stronger than any arm or mech.

That's a very interesting point of view. I like it...

Peter

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 38
RE: Mistakes... - 8/9/2013 10:52:59 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

quote:

Any Allied major power building armor in 1939.

Depends on who you have in front. In one EWC, intermediate (lest's say beginners, as much as someone can be a beginner at the EWC) it took the german player more than a year to take Paris, by then (guessing what was going to happen) the French built mechs and Arm,and they were pretty useful...

Since MECHs (5 BPs, 3 turns) are not armor, I wasn't ruling out building them. It's those 6 BPs and 4 turns for armor, planning on a counter-offensive in 1940 that I believe is delusional.

The US should be starting its long term naval builds, China & the USSR building infantry of all types, France shoring up its defensive land units, and the Commonwealth building tons of other stuff that is desperately needed. Only the US should be thinking offensively, and that is for an offense which won't start until 1941 at the earliest.

Not making a counter-offensive, just defensive gives the weaker hexes a +2 or +4 ... bonus. Plus, if the enemy happens to fail one attack and have some stacks flipped, there may be oportunities to make the GE player pay for France, of course not opportunities for French survival.

I must say the french player did this once he had a serious line of double INFs, with some others covering possible blitzs, and he had already "ordered" the anti-tanks he didn't have (he got the anti-airs), plus the ground support. Then he started building Arm and the next turn Mech. We were using FiF so if the situation had changed dramaticall y he could have stopped paying for them, which is not as bad. Plus, the BR was giving pretty many resources, so he had a better production than usual.

Of course, he hoped but didn't really expect to be able to get them but he did (cause the GE player took about one year to attack the forward defense of France in Belgium, because he lacked enough stukas and fighters, and because the BR sent two stacks) and they made an excellent work. I agree that normally it wouldn't make sense, when he took Paris like 12 - 16 months after the usual date.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 8/9/2013 10:56:23 AM >

Post #: 39
RE: Mistakes... - 8/9/2013 11:02:00 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

This is due to the extremely low capacity of land and sea movement in the combined action, and the few air actions for naval and land actions. You have to select and sometimes you cannot move a scheduled unit for turns, when you were supposed to move it next impulse.

Fortunately this is improved in the new drafts by the possibility of moving individual units paying a (still expensive) cost in O points.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 8/9/2013 11:03:09 AM >

Post #: 40
RE: Mistakes... - 8/9/2013 11:06:20 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

I read this in this forum or somewhere else, maybe the Wifdiscussion list, and I was shocked. In fact, when I was a total noob I invaded a Sigfried line with holes on it. Everybody laughed at my noob mode but I could have aligned Yugoslavia had I known it, which doesn't say too much about those "veterans".

And if I am not wrong, it doesn't need to give the German any bonus if there is no battle and you go back to France before turn end. Or just one if there is a battle, which is improbable because in this case you'd need to compromise too many effectives on the French side.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 8/9/2013 11:07:13 AM >

Post #: 41
RE: Mistakes... - 8/9/2013 1:23:48 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

I read this in this forum or somewhere else, maybe the Wifdiscussion list, and I was shocked. In fact, when I was a total noob I invaded a Sigfried line with holes on it. Everybody laughed at my noob mode but I could have aligned Yugoslavia had I known it, which doesn't say too much about those "veterans".

And if I am not wrong, it doesn't need to give the German any bonus if there is no battle and you go back to France before turn end. Or just one if there is a battle, which is improbable because in this case you'd need to compromise too many effectives on the French side.

Joseignacio you are correct.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wifchart.pdf
13.6.3 PRODUCTION MULTIPLES (a), (b)
Production Multiples Notes:
(a) +0.25 if enemy made any land attacks in your home country (not Siberia and only UK counts for the CW) this turn;
(b) +0.25 while an in-supply enemy land unit is in your home country (not Siberia, and only UK counts for the CW).
(c) +0.25 ~ US entry opt. 22; +0.25 ~ US entry opt. 34; +0.25 ~ war; +0.25 ~ total war; +0.25 each 6 turns after US entry opt. 34.
(d) +0.25 from 1942 onwards if Minsk or Kiev are Russian controlled.
(e) +0.25 from 1943 onwards if Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad are Russian controlled.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 42
RE: Mistakes... - 8/12/2013 12:41:25 PM   
Joseignacio

Thanks!

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 43
RE: Mistakes... - 8/18/2013 10:58:12 AM   
DavidFaust

quote:

yeah, ARM + GARR, 3 turns straight, then the MECH + 2 cheap Infantry class units. then start climbing the mountain of infantry gearing. also, see my next post.

a 1940 Barbarossa will be a low density affair for each side. in theory, I've never seen one and don't expect to. the Russians get a nice amount of Reserves of course, and against a 1940 attack the instant MIL build would be an OK choice. (I don't build a mass pile of them in M/J 41, just some each turn).

In M/J 40, a Russian ARM, MECH, and re-org'd RES MECH would play like 3 strong safeties, preventing the thinner-than-41 German spearheads from taking a hex beyond the range of the Luftwaffe, greatly slowing the speed of the German advance.

Not stopping the advance, just keeping them from taking hexes before their Infantry and Stukas can be brought forward. Hexes such as the critical rail junctions (including clear terrain INF can't hold) to get the factories to Siberia, which is the #1 key in Barbarossa, worth trading units for. An ARM would join the effort in J/A and S/O 40, along with a MECH that turn. That would give me more security than several extra pre-war Russian Infantry armies that the powerful German units will just pulverize anyway whenever they make contact. I think. And the Germans can't operate on as many axes of advance in 1940 as in 1941. If the Germans concentrate forces on one axis, the Russians mass their armor against it and all the factories escape from the ignored axis. If the Germans spread out, the Russian tanks spread out as they won't need to be as concentrated to prevent panzers from advancing freely without infantry.

Really I have the same philosophy for a 1941 Barbarossa. By then the Russians would have 3 ARM & 4 MECH in their defensive secondary, though now operating in stacked pairs. These stacks also give the Russians flexibility to pick off single exposed forward German units, not to make any kind of devastating counterattack or momentum shift; the Germans have too deep of a bench for that to succeed in 1941. Rather, these fast units can swoop on to any easy kill in the front lines (always and only if and iwhen the Luftwaffe is used up / out of range) to get Guards Banner Army points. Those units can stop German spearheads dead in their tank tracks and require a German Army+ (3 stacks) to overcome them, if they choose to stand and fight, which I would not suggest. GBA units on the map in 1940 would be a glorious thing, but the weak pre-war Russian rifle units won't be able to generate one against the powerful pre-war Wehrmacht units. The black-print Russian tank units of either type aren't all that strong either of course, but their built-in die roll modifiers give them increased combat power over just their combat factors.

I would love to play Germany with a Soviet play who builds like this.

It would be the last time he builds like this!!

< Message edited by kingtiger_501 -- 8/18/2013 11:00:09 AM >

Post #: 44
RE: Mistakes... - 8/18/2013 6:45:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingtiger_501

quote:

yeah, ARM + GARR, 3 turns straight, then the MECH + 2 cheap Infantry class units. then start climbing the mountain of infantry gearing. also, see my next post.

a 1940 Barbarossa will be a low density affair for each side. in theory, I've never seen one and don't expect to. the Russians get a nice amount of Reserves of course, and against a 1940 attack the instant MIL build would be an OK choice. (I don't build a mass pile of them in M/J 41, just some each turn).

In M/J 40, a Russian ARM, MECH, and re-org'd RES MECH would play like 3 strong safeties, preventing the thinner-than-41 German spearheads from taking a hex beyond the range of the Luftwaffe, greatly slowing the speed of the German advance.

Not stopping the advance, just keeping them from taking hexes before their Infantry and Stukas can be brought forward. Hexes such as the critical rail junctions (including clear terrain INF can't hold) to get the factories to Siberia, which is the #1 key in Barbarossa, worth trading units for. An ARM would join the effort in J/A and S/O 40, along with a MECH that turn. That would give me more security than several extra pre-war Russian Infantry armies that the powerful German units will just pulverize anyway whenever they make contact. I think. And the Germans can't operate on as many axes of advance in 1940 as in 1941. If the Germans concentrate forces on one axis, the Russians mass their armor against it and all the factories escape from the ignored axis. If the Germans spread out, the Russian tanks spread out as they won't need to be as concentrated to prevent panzers from advancing freely without infantry.

Really I have the same philosophy for a 1941 Barbarossa. By then the Russians would have 3 ARM & 4 MECH in their defensive secondary, though now operating in stacked pairs. These stacks also give the Russians flexibility to pick off single exposed forward German units, not to make any kind of devastating counterattack or momentum shift; the Germans have too deep of a bench for that to succeed in 1941. Rather, these fast units can swoop on to any easy kill in the front lines (always and only if and iwhen the Luftwaffe is used up / out of range) to get Guards Banner Army points. Those units can stop German spearheads dead in their tank tracks and require a German Army+ (3 stacks) to overcome them, if they choose to stand and fight, which I would not suggest. GBA units on the map in 1940 would be a glorious thing, but the weak pre-war Russian rifle units won't be able to generate one against the powerful pre-war Wehrmacht units. The black-print Russian tank units of either type aren't all that strong either of course, but their built-in die roll modifiers give them increased combat power over just their combat factors.

I agree. After clearly out any speed bumps, I think I would have my faster moving units charge forward to 2 or 3 of those strong safeties and see how well they do against the O-Chit. Blowing a large hole in the USSR defensive line which doesn't have sufficient infantry to reform a decent line should cause the USSR player a lot of grief. All I really want to do as Germany is have my HQs, infantry, and short range bombers move their full movement rates every impulse during the spring and summer months. If I can accomplish that, then the USSR runs out of room for railroading out its factories.

Steve

(in reply to DavidFaust)
Post #: 45
RE: Mistakes... - 8/19/2013 12:34:05 AM   
brian brian

I thnk you read that a little thinly.

Let's say the Rusians can put 100 BP of units on the board before Barbaross starts.

So I build 23 BP of ARM/MECH....do you think I take the other 77 build points, load them on the Trans-Siberian, and dump them in the Pacific Ocean?

Of course not - I build infantry, and lots of it, and send them to the front lines, over and over again. One can build those 4 ARM/MECH and still empty the Russian infantry class pools, by the way. I just happen to prefer to build the tanks first. They are extremely useful on the defense, and can have good flexibility for adding garrison totals to the pact area in 1940, adding 2 points with just one land move, should the Russians be manipulating garrison ratios for any of several possible reasons.

If one is saying that if the Russians should build 2 ARM on the first 2 turns, they are doomed to lose a 1940 Barbarossa attack, that is rather silly.
The Germans can't exactly launch a surprise Barbarossa, so the Russians could adjust their builds. But an ARM arriving in M/J 40 and possibly J/A 40 would be extremely useful then too.

I have survived a 10 Axis HQ 1941 Barbarossa and enjoy playing the Russians. I'll open a question on Russian buid plans when I get home from yet another remote project - had to drive into 'town' to email in more bids tonight.

Post #: 46
RE: Mistakes... - 8/19/2013 9:15:05 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Let's say the Rusians can put 100 BP of units on the board before Barbaross starts.

So I build 23 BP of ARM/MECH....do you think I take the other 77 build points, load them on the Trans-Siberian, and dump them in the Pacific Ocean?

Of course not - I build infantry, and lots of it, and send them to the front lines, over and over again. One can build those 4 ARM/MECH and still empty the Russian infantry class pools, by the way. I just happen to prefer to build the tanks first. They are extremely useful on the defense, and can have good flexibility for adding garrison totals to the pact area in 1940, adding 2 points with just one land move, should the Russians be manipulating garrison ratios for any of several possible reasons.

If one is saying that if the Russians should build 2 ARM on the first 2 turns, they are doomed to lose a 1940 Barbarossa attack, that is rather silly.
The Germans can't exactly launch a surprise Barbarossa, so the Russians could adjust their builds. But an ARM arriving in M/J 40 and possibly J/A 40 would be extremely useful then too.

I have survived a 10 Axis HQ 1941 Barbarossa and enjoy playing the Russians. I'll open a question on Russian buid plans when I get home from yet another remote project - had to drive into 'town' to email in more bids tonight.

Oh, I agree that if Germany doesn't attack until 1941, your build strategy is quite sound. It's only whether the Armor and Mech are built early or late where our opinions differ.

It is against the 1940 Barbarossa that I think your build strategy runs an unacceptable risk. If Germany DOW's Russia in May/June 1940, the USSR will have only had 8 build points per turn, or 32 BPs worth of units added to their starting forces - and most of those would have been spent on Armor and Mech. I am not sure where you get the 100 BPs.

Steve

Post #: 47
RE: Mistakes... - 8/19/2013 12:14:05 PM   
DavidFaust

quote:

quote:

Oh, I agree that if Germany doesn't attack until 1941, your build strategy is quite sound. It's only whether the Armor and Mech are built early or late where our opinions differ.

It is against the 1940 Barbarossa that I think your build strategy runs an unacceptable risk. If Germany DOW's Russia in May/June 1940, the USSR will have only had 8 build points per turn, or 32 BPs worth of units added to their starting forces - and most of those would have been spent on Armor and Mech. I am not sure where you get the 100 BPs.

You hit the nail on the head.

As Germany, I have attacked Russia a number of times in 1940.

Your build strategy brings a smile to my face as I see expensive armor being committed to city garrison duty.

< Message edited by kingtiger_501 -- 8/19/2013 12:30:44 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: Mistakes... - 8/19/2013 5:43:17 PM   
Centuur

Personally, I agree with the building of building Russian ARM in 1939 in general. Also, I like to build the ATR/STRAT bomber still in the force pool. After that, I will focus on infantry type units. Together with the odd pilot, the USSR should be able to stuff the border during the summer of 1940, preventing a German attack, except when Germany isn't going to crack France first...

Now, if Germany goes for the USSR in 1940 with France alive, as the USSR you are of course in a bad situation. However, this should be solved by aggressive French/CW play against Italy, forcing the Germans to fight on three fronts.

If however, the first turn of the game gives Germany good weather for a long time and sees the demise of the Netherlands and even Belgium, as the USSR, you should change your building of units towards infantry in the first turn...

Peter

(in reply to DavidFaust)
Post #: 49
RE: Mistakes... - 8/20/2013 4:48:25 AM   
gridley

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingtiger_501

quote:

This is what I look forward to the most...playing against new wifers. My group was together for almost 20 years and we had too many '40 Barbarossa's fail in the early years we stopped doing them. If memory serves, aggressive play by the French and CW always seemed to work.

Like I said though...I can't wait to see how others play.

(in reply to DavidFaust)
Post #: 50
RE: Mistakes... - 8/27/2013 4:53:03 PM   
composer99

Some mistakes (I have seen or committed):

(1) Leaving UK too empty in 1940. Unless you have sunk or damaged the German AMPH and it is out of play for the summer.... don't. Just don't.

(2) Declaring war when there isn't enough to gain out of it (as CW I once declared war on Japan to try to sink carriers sailing through the Med).

(3) Not declaring war when there is enough to gain out of it. (e.g. I played a game as USSR where the CW could have DoWed Italy in 1941 and invaded... and didn't, because the US player convinced him to wait. Big mistake. The Germans were going balls to the wall in USSR and while I held them off as best I could having to intervene in Italy - which was largely bereft of German forces - would have helped me out a lot.)

~ Composer99

(in reply to gridley)
Post #: 51
RE: Mistakes... - 8/30/2013 10:27:44 PM   
Taxman66

This wont apply to MWiF, but my greatest mistake was at Wifcon...
Forgetting to hit the chess clock when our turn was over.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 52
RE: Mistakes... - 8/31/2013 6:38:20 AM   
DavidFaust

A mistake I have seen is the German player leaving the French border too lightly defended in 1939.

A interesting Polish setup combined with very aggressive French and CW play Forced the Italian hand into a early DOW.

The Italians had to rail move troops into Berlin to stop the Polish CAV taking the city.

The French were pouring over the German border.

The UK Invaded north German.

Germany surrendered prior to 1940.

Who ever said WIF was a long game was joking, we finished it in one session.

< Message edited by kingtiger_501 -- 8/31/2013 7:00:32 AM >

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 53
RE: Mistakes... - 8/31/2013 6:45:48 PM   
Taxman66

I didn't make this one... my opponent, with a very very aggressive opening turn did:
Never, ever, call a blitz attack if there is any chance for a loss and your only attacking ARM is an HQ.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to DavidFaust)
Post #: 54
RE: Mistakes... - 9/3/2013 8:18:04 AM   
Extraneous

First of all let me say this is my opinion on the MWiF forums and not in any way about the game.

As any opinion of the game is a violation of the Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) as per section 3 Confidential Information, paragraph 3.

The NDA itself cannot be considered as confidential information after it was given "shotgun distribution" to anyone who applied for the "Final Beta".

I know because for the fun of it I actually applied and received a copy of the NDA and sent in my application.

Don't worry your little ivory towers are safe they will never accept me into the "Final Beta".

My first mistake was getting involved with and devoting so much of my time trying to help with this game.

It has become the standard mantra in these forums that I am incorrectly interpreted the rules (for example see composer99 post # 400).

I have said time and again your views and my views of the rules differ greatly. It doesn't make me wrong or you wrong it means we disagree.

I am being held to a different standard than anyone else in these forums. I am required to post portions of the rules to justify my opinions while others are allowed to make unsupported statements that are considered as facts. This is a transparent attempt to heap ridicule upon anyone with a different interpretation of the rules.

When confronted with an actual rule quote I am being told I am not reading enough into the rule.

This statement is ludicrous in it's self you shouldn't be reading into the rules. Otherwise they are not rules they are just guidelines. Which may be fun for rule lawyers in a board game but it has no place in a computer game.

My second mistake was assuming others wanted what I did, a better game.

How I ask you, can you be a beta tester and not explore all the options available in the game? As a beta tester your preferences are secondary to the functioning of the game. If you don't like the 2d10 combat results table fine but as a beta tester you have to become familiar with it to test it.

Imagine how surprised I was when someone actually posted in this forum that they would rather flame someone than post something constructive about the game.

I was sick of it then and am just as sick of it now having to ask the same questions three or more times just to get an simple answer.

My third mistake was giving in to easily. Yes, giving in to easily. I am accused of bullying others in an attempt to get my opinions accepted and not admitting when I am wrong. Really? I have seen no one in this forum required to apologize for having made an error in this forum except myself. I have seen no one called on to apologize for making insulting remarks in this forum except myself.

My forth mistake expecting people in this forum to be civil to one another.

My fifth mistake was allowing someone to accuse me of trying to be politically correct and not calling them on it. I wasn't me who decided "not to glorify the Nazis" by changing the control markers for the hexes from a Nazi battle flag,

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 55
RE: Mistakes... - 9/3/2013 1:57:55 PM   
Orm

I am sorry you feel that way, Extraneous.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 56
RE: Mistakes... - 9/3/2013 2:01:35 PM   
Mike Parker

Extraneous,

Being from the south I just have to say "Why bless your heart!"

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 57
RE: Mistakes... - 9/3/2013 6:35:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

First of all let me say this is my opinion on the MWiF forums and not in any way about the game.

As any opinion of the game is a violation of the Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) as per section 3 Confidential Information, paragraph 3.

The NDA itself cannot be considered as confidential information after it was given "shotgun distribution" to anyone who applied for the "Final Beta".

I know because for the fun of it I actually applied and received a copy of the NDA and sent in my application.

Don't worry your little ivory towers are safe they will never accept me into the "Final Beta".

My first mistake was getting involved with and devoting so much of my time trying to help with this game.

It has become the standard mantra in these forums that I am incorrectly interpreted the rules (for example see composer99 post # 400).

I have said time and again your views and my views of the rules differ greatly. It doesn't make me wrong or you wrong it means we disagree.

I am being held to a different standard than anyone else in these forums. I am required to post portions of the rules to justify my opinions while others are allowed to make unsupported statements that are considered as facts. This is a transparent attempt to heap ridicule upon anyone with a different interpretation of the rules.

When confronted with an actual rule quote I am being told I am not reading enough into the rule.

This statement is ludicrous in it's self you shouldn't be reading into the rules. Otherwise they are not rules they are just guidelines. Which may be fun for rule lawyers in a board game but it has no place in a computer game.

My second mistake was assuming others wanted what I did, a better game.

How I ask you, can you be a beta tester and not explore all the options available in the game? As a beta tester your preferences are secondary to the functioning of the game. If you don't like the 2d10 combat results table fine but as a beta tester you have to become familiar with it to test it.

Imagine how surprised I was when someone actually posted in this forum that they would rather flame someone than post something constructive about the game.

I was sick of it then and am just as sick of it now having to ask the same questions three or more times just to get an simple answer.

My third mistake was giving in to easily. Yes, giving in to easily. I am accused of bullying others in an attempt to get my opinions accepted and not admitting when I am wrong. Really? I have seen no one in this forum required to apologize for having made an error in this forum except myself. I have seen no one called on to apologize for making insulting remarks in this forum except myself.

My forth mistake expecting people in this forum to be civil to one another.

My fifth mistake was allowing someone to accuse me of trying to be politically correct and not calling them on it. I wasn't me who decided "not to glorify the Nazis" by changing the control markers for the hexes from a Nazi battle flag,

About the Nazi flag ... it is illegal to sell a product in Germany which contains the Nazi flag (or some other symbols of the Nazi party). We want to sell the game in Germany, hence the replacement of the Nazi flag. This was decided in 2005 if I recall correctly - definitely by 2006.

Steve

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 58
RE: Mistakes... - 9/3/2013 7:27:13 PM   
peskpesk

I too am sorry you feel that way, Extraneous and I'm sorry you want to leave. My guess is that old players already have heard the rule discussion many,many times and can't stand to take it up again and explain. The want to concentrate on the strategy/tactics. Also sometimes I get the impression that you dont give in to easy, even when the evidence is against you...that can be hard for some people to take...

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

Post #: 59
RE: Mistakes... - 9/4/2013 4:45:55 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: peskpesk
I too am sorry you feel that way, Extraneous and I'm sorry you want to leave. My guess is that old players already have heard the rule discussion many,many times and can't stand to take it up again and explain. The want to concentrate on the strategy/tactics. Also sometimes I get the impression that you dont give in to easy, even when the evidence is against you...that can be hard for some people to take...

No offense intended peskpesk, but please don't read so much into my statement I didn't say I was leaving. It is just how I feel about these forums.

On rule discussion:

How would you handle a situation where there is a conflict of opinion with the rules?

1) Try to see the other person's opinion and then teach or point out the errors.

2) Tell them to shut up that they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

3) Only point out their errors and make deriding snide comments.

4) Say: "Oh but you have been wrong in the past" meaning that any thing you post should be ignored.

I get mostly 2, 3, and 4 here in the forums.

quote:

About the Nazi flag ... it is illegal to sell a product in Germany which contains the Nazi flag (or some other symbols of the Nazi party). We want to sell the game in Germany, hence the replacement of the Nazi flag. This was decided in 2005 if I recall correctly - definitely by 2006.

If you were to check there are several countries that have laws prohibiting Nazi regalia and symbols not just Germany. And you did not mention that it was a marketing decision at that time.

You called me politically correct for my correct use of grammar when I used "he/she" and "him/her".

If you haven't read the United States Marine Corps is now training women for combat assignments.

So as far as marketing goes there are a lot more women in the world than there are Germans.

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Mistakes... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI