Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pricing Suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Pricing Suggestion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 12:10:33 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I would think if LBHarpoon is still $60.00, then this one probley, will be that much or higher-probley higher.  I wonder if they have change for a 100.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to aluminumx)
Post #: 31
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 1:10:40 AM   
tevans6220

If the price is too high, I'll pass and just keep playing Harpoon UE. Bought Rome TW 2 for $60 and am now left waiting for patches that allow me to play. Also bought Civil War II and have to wait for a patch before diving in. It gets tiresome. To me top dollar pricing should mean top dollar quality from the start. Not saying this game isn't quality. I just don't want to spend top dollar only to wait weeks/months/years for the potential to be fulfilled.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 32
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 2:52:12 AM   
Ranger33

I've held out on several purchases for the last couple months so that I can justify pretty much any price for this (as long as it isn't like $100). That said, I've blown $60 on more than one 5-hours-and-its-over console game over the years, so I think a little extra premium for something like this is worth it.

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 33
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 4:42:50 AM   
Mad Russian

Looking at this game at whatever price it sells at. Even showed it to a long time gaming friend this evening.

Can't wait!!

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 9/24/2013 4:55:55 AM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 34
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 4:53:19 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Yeah not to rain on our own parade but I am going to pick up Civil War II and Red Storm.

I'll be returning that favor as well. Might even get some scenario work to go with the gaming. Who knows.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 35
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 9:29:15 AM   
aluminumx

That something I notice is becoming commonplace. It use to be that most games worked right out of the box. Of corse back then I think it was eeasier to program games and they had to get it right the first time, bbecause there was no such thing as a patch.

As time has gone by. More and more games had more and more bugs. Most had Bend fixed in days. Now, you get patch after patch on some games and they still don't work right. You may need to wait a year for their final patch to make the games work, if then at all. Just look at thr eentire line of "Supreme Ruler." They never fully fix some of the most talked about issues, they then stop patching. Only to release a whole new game based on the same platforms and the ends up having the sane issues And then some. This is why my personal rule is that games are almost never worth more then $20.00. All the frustration, waiting for patches, not to mention what I already talked about. Waiting tends not only to result in paying less. It means less headaches.

If it's above $20.00 and I hear about lots of bugs or bugs that just make the game unplayable. Then I can wait. But with them putting 10 years into it, I get the feeling that bugs will be small. So I will dish out extra for it if all goes well.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 36
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 10:49:55 AM   
Kipper

Normally I try to stay a couple of years behind the curve and wait for titles to bed down and some never get fixed or play to their potential. RED PILL will be different and first day one purchase for me in many years, a real gaming event.

(in reply to aluminumx)
Post #: 37
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 10:58:04 AM   
At Ease

I also usually wait a bit before buying new games but in the case of Command Just Gotta Have It Now! Have posted links to it on the facebook page for my old destroyer.Will be giving a running commentary of it's play in hopes of getting others vets hooked on Command.Would love to see a very diverse group of players around once online comes into play.Then the fun really starts!You Sank My Battleship!lol

(in reply to Kipper)
Post #: 38
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 11:16:37 AM   
Djoller

Dont care of it will be 20$ or 60$. I will buy it tonight and "work at home" tomorrow :-D

(in reply to At Ease)
Post #: 39
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 11:16:43 AM   
Hexagon

All depends in the price, i know that game is great but even when i have the money i allways draw a red line in price maybe i can expand a little it if i have great interest in game and i can asume pay a little more to have the game early but is more the exception to the rule.

For me between 50-60 euros, taxes included, lets see.

EDIT: ummm i read about the discount for betatesters, 20 dolars, i am going to play Nostradamus role a little hehehe.

Lets see the 20 dolars discount for betatesters is the same that Matrix do in the Cristhmas special, 30%, this means that with out taxes game cost 66,666666 dolars but lets see 68 add to this taxes (i dont know what use here but lets see 25%) and we have 68+17=85 dolars 63 euros a little high but if i use excesive "negative" values for customers... we can see game around 60 euros not a little high but not bad at all.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 9/24/2013 11:31:13 AM >

(in reply to At Ease)
Post #: 40
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 11:55:19 AM   
Fred Sanford

This thread is shaping up to be a repeat of the Command Ops Battles from the Bulge pricing thread.  The melt was tremendous.  FWIW, I've blown more $ for less on entertainment many times.  And if you've ever gone out to eat, you have too.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 41
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 12:08:30 PM   
LuckyJim1010

I normally wait at least 6 months before buying certain companies games but feel I am going to get this on release. Unless it really is over the top price-wise.

I have even bought some games from here knowing I will never play them, for example WiTE and Case Blue.

Not a great fanboy of the subject matter but I feel these companies deserve my money because of what they mean to us.

Now WiTW is coming out and I hope in some small way my buying WiTE helped them do that. Much more my scene.

As to trying to attract new fans - I cannot help but feel this sort of simulation is much more geared up for people who know about this sort of stuff.

The fiasco of 'Naval War Arctic Circle' is a case in point. Trying to get the lucrative RTS crowd involved in this sort of game was foolish from the start.

Ask yourself if you know what the following mean

1 Sunburn or Exocet ? Which would you prefer to attack with and why
2 Oscar class - Carrier Killer or Shipping Trade interdiction ?
3 Phoenix equipped F14's against Backfires over the GUIK gap - Do you know what/where this happening ?
4 SOSUS has detected Red Boat, probable Akula class running south from the Barents. Any idea ?
5 Track 010 now approaching UKADR, Northern Q is scrambling
6 Alpha Strike on Kuznetsov group- Overkill or Needed ?
7 AAR Tow Line 3 displacing 100 miles West in light of WP Frontal Aviation Short Range Assets penetrating RAF Southern Area
8 SIGINT picked up notice of Bear activity over South West Approaches
9 STANAVFORLANT engaged Kirov SAG without Air Support. Good idea ?
10 Commander Strike Fleet Atlantic - is this the best job title in the world ?

If you know/answered about the above things, you will buy this game no matter what

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 42
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 12:29:44 PM   
Kipper

Will be playing this for years so cost even in three figures will be cheap for me. Conversely the work the devs put in over the years will mean they would have been better off working for cents an hour. We work on and pay for these special things out of passion.

(in reply to LuckyJim1010)
Post #: 43
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 12:47:33 PM   
hondo1375

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010
The fiasco of 'Naval War Arctic Circle' is a case in point. Trying to get the lucrative RTS crowd involved in this sort of game was foolish from the start.

Probably, but IMHO that was a poor game - the concept was not well executed, it was released unfinished and bugged (in that special Paradox fashion), and it wasn't well supported. I think that must have turned off the core audience for that game, let alone the RTS crowd.

Any way, I always get a little nervous when I read forums brimming with "insta-buy", "day one purchase" and "shut up and take my money" as they are quickly followed with the corresponding angry and disappointed posts. Still, I've been following this since the Red Pill days, and it looks like a professionally-run project. Let's hope this one is the exception, as that Harpoon itch really needs a good scratch!

Post #: 44
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 12:57:14 PM   
Alejo1968

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

I normally wait at least 6 months before buying certain companies games but feel I am going to get this on release. Unless it really is over the top price-wise.

I have even bought some games from here knowing I will never play them, for example WiTE and Case Blue.

Not a great fanboy of the subject matter but I feel these companies deserve my money because of what they mean to us.

Now WiTW is coming out and I hope in some small way my buying WiTE helped them do that. Much more my scene.

As to trying to attract new fans - I cannot help but feel this sort of simulation is much more geared up for people who know about this sort of stuff.

Ask yourself if you know what the following mean

1 Sunburn or Exocet ? Which would you prefer to attack with and why
2 Oscar class - Carrier Killer or Shipping Trade interdiction ?
3 Phoenix equipped F14's against Backfires over the GUIK gap - Do you know what/where this happening ?
4 SOSUS has detected Red Boat, probable Akula class running south from the Barents. Any idea ?
5 Track 010 now approaching UKADR, Northern Q is scrambling
6 Alpha Strike on Kuznetsov group- Overkill or Needed ?
7 AAR Tow Line 3 displacing 100 miles West in light of WP Frontal Aviation Short Range Assets penetrating RAF Southern Area
8 SIGINT picked up notice of Bear activity over South West Approaches
9 STANAVFORLANT engaged Kirov SAG without Air Support. Good idea ?
10 Commander Strike Fleet Atlantic - is this the best job title in the world ?

If you know/answered about the above things, you will buy this game no matter what

Damn, I thought I would wait some time! But... Gonna have to buy it.

Hey! Was that a jedi trick?

Post #: 45
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 1:44:22 PM   
Misconduct

I paid like $125 or something for WITP AE on day one, it was the best investment in a video game that I ever had. After tinkering with CMA/NO in beta, I will certainly shell out $100 again without a problem.
The way I see it, I invested more time in WITP AE and got more fun out of it then most other games that I eventually quit playing over time or the game ends in 15 missions (or 2 hours play time).

I know CMA/NO will be invested in by the community, its simply just that GOOD of a game.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to aluminumx)
Post #: 46
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 1:56:35 PM   
Primarchx

I've been waiting for the world at large to get their hands on Command because the scenario scene is going to EXPLODE with great authors and ideas. The sandbox possibilities here are incredible. Want to game out a nuclear war after the Cuba Missile Crisis goes wrong? No problem. What if Iran hadn't released the hostages after Reagan took office in 1981 and the Gipper orders an attack? Sure thing. Airdropping a battalion of Rangers to grab Gaddafi after Lockerbie with full naval and air support? Got it.

People will play this game and continue to create content for YEARS.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 47
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:03:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

I think the key here is indeed how much gaming value you will get if you are a fan of modern air/naval warfare and whether there is enough bang for the buck. IMHO Command will give anyone with an interest in this type of warfare incredible value and sets a new benchmark for the genre. We have heard many times from our customers who find the right wargame for them and play it for years, far more than any mainstream or lower priced game.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 48
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:06:13 PM   
JOhnnyr

Please delete, somehow made a double post!

< Message edited by JOhnnyr -- 9/24/2013 3:09:59 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 49
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:08:58 PM   
JOhnnyr

Wow...I've been lurking here since I heard of the game, but I wasn't expecting $80. I can't help but think they are making a mistake with this type of pricing, it will only serve to discourage newbies and ultimately lead to poor sales. The game looks great, but I find it hard to understand the decision. Look at games like Dominions 4 - its gained a lot of attention and traction at Desura, mostly because it's price is reasonable.

Good luck guys, but I'll be passing on this for a while.

Additional comments:
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think the key here is indeed how much gaming value you will get if you are a fan of modern air/naval warfare and whether there is enough bang for the buck. IMHO Command will give anyone with an interest in this type of warfare incredible value and sets a new benchmark for the genre. We have heard many times from our customers who find the right wargame for them and play it for years, far more than any mainstream or lower priced game.

You might be correct Erik, but the issue becomes a lot of people aren't willing to pay such a high amount to find out. I really do think it's a mistake to price it in this way, since I can't see it being a success. The price is simply too high for anyone other than the few dedicated people on these forums.

Who makes these pricing decisions? It makes me sad that the game has already been set up for failure, before it even has a chance to be played.

< Message edited by JOhnnyr -- 9/24/2013 3:09:14 PM >

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 50
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:09:52 PM   
aluminumx

Yeah. I looked at the price. Forget it. I out.

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 51
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:11:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

This is normal pricing for a premium wargame/simulation in this genre. If you look at our other top level wargames, the pricing is equivalent. What Command is offering you in a commercial wargame is in many respects better than what was available in multi thousand dollar professional simulations before this release.

The decision of whether or not to purchase for the price is of course yours. Each person has their own finances and decisions to make and we understand that, but if the price is within your budget, this is a bargain for fans of the genre for the quality and content you receive.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 9/24/2013 3:13:29 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to aluminumx)
Post #: 52
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:11:49 PM   
LuckyJim1010

Abbeville_01 - Knew I'd get someone

As I was typing it I was salivating. Not a pretty sight.

Trouble is as a Scope Dope for the best part of the 80's and a real WW3 wargame nut I also want the new Red Storm game.

Can only get 1 a month.

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 53
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:13:08 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

Don't go out to eat once or twice and THEN buy the game....you will NOT be disappointed.....

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 54
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:14:55 PM   
JOhnnyr

quote:

Hi guys,

This is normal pricing for a premium wargame/simulation in this genre. If you look at our other top level wargames, the pricing is equivalent. What Command is offering you in a commercial wargame is in many respects better than what was available in multi thousand dollar professional simulations before this release.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik, I think what people are saying is that the "normal" pricing is much too high. The player base for these types of games is too low to make it a commercial success of any kind. The biggest reason for that is not that people aren't interested, they are - but that $80 is much to ask someone new to the genre to pay in 2013. I think Matrix games really needs to look at the current market, and adjust accordingly.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Post #: 55
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:17:21 PM   
Hexagon

Sorry but you are not right, if we talk about prices i can say as example SAI, and this game has the option to buy a campaign system and even with base game + campaign is cheaper than CMANO WITH OUT TAXES!!! 55 dolars for all.

I dont like your politic in prices, i dont buy a pair of titles for this and i can add now CMANO and sadly i think that can add your future releases, if you price a niche market like this... sorry but you are going to lose a lot of your potencial sells, i am in a wargames forum and with CWII you lose some buys.

For me is easy, is better shell 10 at 30 than 5 at 40, in the moment you add taxes to the price simple is to high, something i never understand is why dont add a discount to buy the game in the first week for example specially when we need wait over a year to see first discount... i hate that wargames market for this, high prices, very few promotions and you need wait a lot for them and years with same prices.

PD: i have the money to buy the game, actual i have 250 euros for games but i NEVER pay over 50 euros for a game and we talk here about 27 euros over my red line.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 9/24/2013 3:20:19 PM >

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 56
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:19:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Johnny,

I appreciate your feedback - more so than anyone though, we are looking at the market and making our decisions based on data to help our developers get the best possible results so that games like these continue to be available for all of us. It's worth noting that all of our games eventually are available at lower price points, through special promotions and other sales, but at release this is normal pricing for a wargame of this quality, depth and development cost.

In any case, I understand that some folks will be unhappy with the price and I'm sorry we are unable to set a price point that works for everyone.

I think it's important though that the price discussion also be informed by folks who are playing the game. I understand how it looks from the sidelines, especially when you have to fit it into your budget, but when you are playing the game it really does seem like a good deal.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 57
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:20:40 PM   
IainMcNeil

As always its a value judgement which is a very personal thing. This game offers an immense amount of value and clearly a lot of people agree based on the sales so far - one every few seconds.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 58
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:23:39 PM   
JOhnnyr

quote:

Hi Johnny,

I appreciate your feedback - more so than anyone though, we are looking at the market and making our decisions based on data to help our developers get the best possible results so that games like these continue to be available for all of us. It's worth noting that all of our games eventually are available at lower price points, through special promotions and other sales, but at release this is normal pricing for a wargame of this quality, depth and development cost.

In any case, I understand that some folks will be unhappy with the price and I'm sorry we are unable to set a price point that works for everyone.

I think it's important though that the price discussion also be informed by folks who are playing the game. I understand how it looks from the sidelines, especially when you have to fit it into your budget, but when you are playing the game it really does seem like a good deal.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks For the reply Erik. I really hope the game is a success - as it looks amazing. I have no doubt at some point I'll be purchasing it, just not at this price point. I appreciate where you're coming from, and the best of luck with the game.

I do agree that the game most certainly could be worth $80 - or even much more! However I think the knee-jerk reaction from most new to the genre (or those with only a passing interest) will be that it's too much, and they will simply dismiss the game out of hand. Which is a shame, because it looks fantastic =(

Post #: 59
RE: Pricing Suggestion - 9/24/2013 3:24:55 PM   
Rob322

It's not like they're making The Sims, where they expect to ship millions of units. Games like Command are designed for a narrow slice of the computer gamer market. They still have costs however that need to be paid, hence the price. I've played witp ae for 4 years on an almost daily basis and it was worth every penny. This appears to be of the same level as that and ill definitely be buying it.

(in reply to TheOriginalOverlord)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Pricing Suggestion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI