Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Allies land on Luzon!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Allies land on Luzon!! Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/1/2013 11:09:14 AM   
JocMeister

Ki-84r "Frank"

Erik already has a good number of squadrons flying this AC. This despite I just saw the first one in action 2 weeks ago. So he is probably making around 400-600 per month. A number the allied player can only dream about.

The Franks main adversary will be the P51D. The only airframe I will get in decent number until 3/45 when the P47N kicks in.

Comparing the two I foresee that both planes will struggle on the offensive. Luckily for me I still have some P47s to do the offensive work.

The Frank has been pretty underwhelming so far. I think its suffering from the slow speed, poor guns and most probably a shortage of really good pilots. Here are some examples from last turn.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Naga , at 81,81

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 25 NM, estimated altitude 38,270 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84r Frank x 46

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
44 x Ki-84r Frank sweeping at 38270 feet

CAP engaged:
35th FG/39th FS with P-51D Mustang (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(7 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes

This was "leaky LRCAP" set at 10000 ft. Yet Erik did only manage to shoot down two of them.

quote:

Morning Air attack on NCAC , at 55,59 , near Tavoy

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 40,270 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-84r Frank x 44

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 95
P-38L Lightning x 52
P-51B Mustang x 67
F4U-1A Corsair x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84r Frank: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed
P-38L Lightning: 7 destroyed
P-51B Mustang: 2 destroyed
F4U-1A Corsair: 1 destroyed

No leaky LRCAP this time. But LRCAP nonetheless. Altitudes of 5k up to 20k. If you remove the P38s which were on extreme range LRCAP the Frank actually got a negative score.

I will continue to study this aircraft a little bit more closely over the coming weeks. Erik is taking full advantage of our "second best MVR band" HR. Not sure how big impact this will be. I think he will end up a bit disappointed with this AC. Eriks attitude to the air war seems to be that height is everything. While it has a big impact its not the whole story and I think he will find that out in the coming weeks.

Once my fighters get a radar aided CAP up I think he will lose Franks in droves.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1921
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/1/2013 7:39:53 PM   
JocMeister

Anyone know of a way to see what air groups belong to which CV/CVL/CVE? I have a tonne of empty CVEs right now and finding their groups will not be fun. Best way I come up with is opening a second SCEN 1 game and simply go through each ship. Is there a better way?

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1922
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/1/2013 7:59:10 PM   
KenchiSulla

Are you adding them to the original carrier for flavour?

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1923
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/1/2013 8:00:01 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

Are you adding them to the original carrier for flavour?

Yes, if I don´t I will be losing sleep over it!

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 1924
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/1/2013 11:11:39 PM   
Lokasenna

Holy crap the sub losses . 22 confirmed sunk. Jesus.

And that's why you should've leave ships sitting in port within 4E range.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1925
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 5:37:34 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Holy crap the sub losses . 22 confirmed sunk. Jesus.

And that's why you should've leave ships sitting in port within 4E range.

Is not all ports are now in 4E range?

As for Frank. It is very good plane. As last best what japan can have in that time.
I don`t know what R&D program Erik has but in next few months/weeks You should probably start meeting Ki-83(Japanese version of P-38 but with stats better from P-51D), Ki-94II(fastest conventional japanise army fighter that can sweep and 48k ft) and Ki-201 (Jet fighter speed over 500mph). Also Japanese navy have J7W1 Shinden (460+ mph speed)

But all Japanese players will tell You that Frank "r" is arriving one year to late. In early `44 he can have some impact on game. Now he is just to slow and allied reinforcements of good planes are to big.

< Message edited by koniu -- 10/2/2013 6:37:13 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1926
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 6:40:59 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

As for Frank. It is very good plane. As last best what japan can have in that time.
I don`t know what R&D program Erik has but in next few months/weeks You should probably start meeting Ki-83(Japanese version of P-38 but with stats better from P-51D), Ki-94II(fastest conventional japanise army fighter that can sweep and 48k ft) and Ki-201 (Jet fighter speed over 500mph). Also Japanese navy have J7W1 Shinden (460+ mph speed)

Thats sounds really depressing.

I´m stuck with 200 USAAF and 300 USN planes per month. I´m thinking Erik is producing 3 times that. At the moment I´m roughly getting that number in fighter vs fighter. But my pools are stretched to the breaking point. One really bad day and I will have to stop operations altogether.

If Erik can maintain pilot quality throughout the game its possible I won´t be able to to a daylight strategic campaign of the HI.

Its a bit depressing realising I have played a very good air war and still is struggling in december 44 because I´m being outproduced by a huge margin. I need to close Manila and Bangkok AF. I can do that but the losses would be higher then I can afford as it would drain my pools. So I just have to let them be there.

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1927
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 7:09:19 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

Thats sounds really depressing.

I´m stuck with 200 USAAF and 300 USN planes per month. I´m thinking Erik is producing 3 times that. At the moment I´m roughly getting that number in fighter vs fighter. But my pools are stretched to the breaking point. One really bad day and I will have to stop operations altogether.

If Erik can maintain pilot quality throughout the game its possible I won´t be able to to a daylight strategic campaign of the HI.

Its a bit depressing realising I have played a very good air war and still is struggling in december 44 because I´m being outproduced by a huge margin. I need to close Manila and Bangkok AF. I can do that but the losses would be higher then I can afford as it would drain my pools. So I just have to let them be there.

Biggest problem for Japan is pilot quality. When those good planes arrive there is not much good pilots to fly them. But still in game decent Japanese player that have good training program should be able to have squadrons with average XP above 60. and maybe few units with 70+ pilots. In RL probably most of those pilots was 40 XP with air skill in in low 60s.

As to production. Most of Japanese players is not producing more that Japan was in RL. At lest in `44. I telling about numbers only. We all know how many of those planes produced by japan was crappy planes. Planes that most of player stoop producing in 42 or 43 and still japan build them until last day of war. In game Japanese player is spaming with best passable air frame. We do that because we can:) and because we are know more that RL commanders and economy in RL in not as simple as in game. And we try to avoid mistakes made by RL commanders. So no Midway because most of Jap players not splitting KB and we care about naval search so instead bombing island we attacking enemy CV.

Imagine how boring for You and frustrating for Erik that game will be if You will be in the same strategic situation like it was in RL in late 44. We will prabably not see many games that last to 44 not telling about 45

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1928
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 10:55:40 AM   
JocMeister

3rd December -44

Allied heavy sweeps take their toll.

------------------------
Airwar
------------------------

A general sweep offensive is ordered over Luzon and Thailand. 66 Japanese planes are shot down for only 10 allied. Most of the Japanese losses are Jacks and Tojos though. 8 British Thunderbolts are lost. This is fine as the British pools are in great shape with over 300 Thuds in the pool.

1 6 kill ace KIA
1 5 kill ace MIA
2 Aces WIA (9 and 5 kills)
--------------------
8 new aces
6 new double aces

Can´t really complain about that.

------------------------
Thailand
------------------------

Remember the clear hex it seems like Erik is trying to defend? (See screenshot). We struck that with the 4Es today. The British Thuds go in and clear the way for the bombers. I think this strike rendered the units in the hex completely combat effective.

quote:

Japanese ground losses:
555 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 63 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 10 (1 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Japanese ground losses:
285 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 20 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 20 disabled

Japanese ground losses:
123 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Japanese ground losses:
141 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Another 2-300 losses are inflicted in small strikes. Erik should realize by now that this hex is undefendable. Judging by the troops present (only two RGT and lots of engineers) I will continue the crossing.

In other news the first deliberate attack was ordered today on Eriks superstack. It went so-so. Looks like Erik has outsmarted me. I have kept a close eye on his surrounding bases to see if he flies in any transports. He has only 120 of them in Saigon. But it looks like he has been using bombers to transport supplies. So he has been able to drop supplies to the troops and they didn´t even get a negative modifier. This I will have to deal with next turn.

First of all I´m going to set up a LRCAP and see if I can nail his transports. I have done so for two turns now but range and/or weather might be preventing an intercept. I´ll also try something quite risky...stay tuned for next turn.

Here are the result. Not too good. But Erik will most likely have severe problems recovering the losses while I won´t have. Most is Chinese troops and I have 4500 squads in the pool. One of the Chindits BDEs was almost completely wiped out but they are due to withdraw in 25 days.

quote:

Ground combat at 55,59 (near Tavoy)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 153662 troops, 2417 guns, 1332 vehicles, Assault Value = 5877

Defending force 198108 troops, 2490 guns, 3043 vehicles, Assault Value = 6243

Allied adjusted assault: 1992

Japanese adjusted defense: 12880

Allied assault odds: 1 to 6

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
6511 casualties reported
Squads: 35 destroyed, 468 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 216 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 69 disabled
Guns lost 194 (11 destroyed, 183 disabled)
Vehicles lost 163 (15 destroyed, 148 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
11198 casualties reported
Squads: 233 destroyed, 1275 disabled
Non Combat: 193 destroyed, 91 disabled
Engineers: 49 destroyed, 142 disabled
Guns lost 132 (56 destroyed, 76 disabled)
Vehicles lost 26 (1 destroyed, 25 disabled)

Assaulting units:
77th Chindit Brigade
2nd New Chinese Corps
9th Indian Division
6th New Chinese Corps
11th (East African) Division
3rd New Chinese Corps
20th Indian Division
14th Indian Division
26th Indian Division
45th Indian Brigade
81st (West African) Division
5th Indian Division
28th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
8th Medium Regiment
XXXIII Indian Corps
23rd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
NCAC
86th Medium Regiment
IV Indian Corps
33rd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
85th British AT Gun Regiment
24th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
87th Medium Regiment
X' Force
8th Belfast Heavy Regiment
6th Mixed A/T Mtr Regiment
8th Mahratta AT Gun Regiment
6th Medium Regiment
Provisional GMC Grp

Defending units:
2nd Guards Division
29th Ind.Mixed Brigade
22nd Tank Regiment
24th Ind.Mixed Brigade
38th Division
16th Division
21st Division
55th Division
75th Infantry Brigade
39th Division
33rd Division
2nd Tank Division
5th Division
79th Brigade
3rd Tank Division
2nd Division
18th Division
1st Ind.Mixed Regiment
2nd Army
56th Field AA Battalion
14th RF Gun (Pack) Battalion
68th Field AA Battalion
5th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion
2nd Medium Mortar Battalion
21st AA Regiment
51st Field AA Battalion
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
41st Ind.AA Gun Co
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
43rd Const Co
32nd Field AA Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Art.Mortar Regiment
15th Army
1st RF Gun Battalion
34th Field AA Battalion
49th AA Machinecannon Company
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd RF Gun Battalion
14th Mortar Battalion
39th Field AA Battalion
28th Army
50th Field AA Battalion
10th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
69th Field AA Battalion
115th AA Regiment
8th RF Gun Battalion
2nd Area Army
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Air Defense AA Regiment
19th Army
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
25th Army
70th Field AA Battalion
Burma Area Army
20th AA Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
27th Fld AA Gun Co
11th Mortar Battalion
52nd Field AA Battalion
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd Medium Mortar Battalion
8th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
33rd Road Const Co
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
40th Field AA Battalion
10th RF Gun Battalion
11th RF Gun Battalion
38th Field AA Battalion
7th JAAF Base Force

Hopefully his AA guns too a big hit.

------------------------
Luzon
------------------------

We are still getting everything into position. It will be a few more days before everything is in place. Then I need to build up a good sized AF, get a CAP up and then dump the remaining troops before the siege of Manilla can begin. I have a good 3000 AV in place but I lack the heavy artillery coming in from the Marianas. I don´t want to start the assault without them. This will also let the SOPAC HQ and "buddy HQ" to get to 100 prep (currently 86).

------------------------
CV Fleet
------------------------

TF 238 and its accompanying Fast CV TFs TF108 and 256 have reached their secret location and will begin their 14 days refit bumping AA from 1150 to 1460. I have detached 6 P47 and 4 Spit VII groups for base CAP. While Erik havn´t had a recon plane over the base for months I don´t want to take any chances.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 10/2/2013 10:57:02 AM >

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1929
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 12:02:32 PM   
Powloon

Hi Jocke,

I'm a long time lurker of your AAR and just wanted to say how enjoyable it is. You've obviously gone the full cycle in this game from being hammered in the early game to being in my opinion at least ahead of the curve. Much Kudos to you and your opponent for keeping this fascinating game going.

Looking at your Thailand screen shot a couple of things come to mind (I'm a newb at this game so obviously take this with a pinch of salt)

Is there anyway to get some of that armour across the last rail link into Bangkok to prevent him strat moving reinforcements in or getting stuff out?
Have you managed to get some air search up over the gulf of Siam to help interdict shipping? From my untrained eye the base 3 hexes South West of Bangkok looks ideal for this purpose.
I notice you still have a carpet of subs protecting the approaches to Tavoy would these not be better utilised trying to seal off the gulf of Siam.

Anyway great stuff long may it continue

** Returns to lurker mode

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1930
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 2:17:05 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powloon

Hi Jocke,

I'm a long time lurker of your AAR and just wanted to say how enjoyable it is. You've obviously gone the full cycle in this game from being hammered in the early game to being in my opinion at least ahead of the curve. Much Kudos to you and your opponent for keeping this fascinating game going.

Looking at your Thailand screen shot a couple of things come to mind (I'm a newb at this game so obviously take this with a pinch of salt)

Is there anyway to get some of that armour across the last rail link into Bangkok to prevent him strat moving reinforcements in or getting stuff out?
Have you managed to get some air search up over the gulf of Siam to help interdict shipping? From my untrained eye the base 3 hexes South West of Bangkok looks ideal for this purpose.
I notice you still have a carpet of subs protecting the approaches to Tavoy would these not be better utilised trying to seal off the gulf of Siam.

Anyway great stuff long may it continue

** Returns to lurker mode

Hi Powloon. Thanks for letting yourself known!

Don´t forget I´m a noob too!

You make some really good points. About cutting the rail I have considered it. Problem is that at the moment it would completely isolate my units from air support. I havn´t really made a "plan" yet but the rough idea is/was that I will cut the rail on the east coast instead. Thus trapping the units on the southern peninsula. But your idea is a really good one...hmm! I could cut it in just a few days with some armor units. That would force Erik to react in some way or risk losing another 100k men...

Erik is actually just shipping everything straight into Bangkok. Its 100% safe for him to do so. With Tavoy being the only allied AF in the area (level 8) its stacked to the top with fighters. Besides we are playing with the BETA and Bangkok is under a 650 Fighter CAP. And he makes sure he always has something parked there. So if I turn on some navalstrikes to hit incoming/outgoing TFs they will probably just go for Bangkok instead!

You are right about the subs. Its just me being lazy. I have been putting that off for too long. Thanks for the kick in the right direction!

(in reply to Powloon)
Post #: 1931
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 4:16:59 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

Joc, Here's a bold stroke. Take that 1000 armor AV in Thailand, get them to the main road between Bangkok and Saigon, and drive south HARD. If they are not fatigued, they will advance at one hex per day and will threaten Phnom Penh and Saigon in a few days. How would your opponent react to that, and could he? You would have to be able to provide some aerial resupply, but I would bet there is nothing in your way.

Just an idea.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1932
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 5:12:12 PM   
Speedysteve

Erik could probably bomb the ARM units into relative dust if moved out of fighter range etc.....

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 1933
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 6:12:40 PM   
JocMeister

Speedy kind of hit the nail on the head. I can´t advance too far from my own airfields. Opening up the game and looking at the map I also found another problem. Erik still has 100.000 men at Bangkok. I think he has at least 2-4 IDs there. What if he decides to abandon Bangkok and gobble up my armor on the way? Nearest allied relief would be weeks away.

I like the idea of cutting off Bangkok. But to do that I really need to fill up the gap between my armor and my own lines with something. I can´t vacate central Thailand and head south as I would extremely easy cut off while Erik can bomb my armor to dust from the airfields in southern Thailand. I´m not going to be greedy at this point. Better safe then sorry?

First priority is still to make sure Eriks superstack can´t get away. I´m going to leave 5000 AV for that. Mostly chinese and Indian backed up by some Arty. That leaves about 1500 AV from the eastern stack that can move into central Thailand. Once they arrive I might get a chance to cut Bangkok off if Erik waits that long!

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 1934
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 6:44:04 PM   
Crackaces

Ayutthaya is the key to this puzzle. It controls the rail into the heart of Thailand. Seize Ayutthaya and the IJ are in trouble. That I suggest is the main focus. A threat of coming across the river to Bangkok directly might hold some LCU's there. The nice thing about Ayutthaya is the lack of urban terrain making it more vulnerable to ground attack from the air. These forces must be disrupted and disabled for the river crossing ...

Once Ayutthaya is taken then the fingers can go out and isolate the one hex south connecting Bangkok to the rest of the world [besides the sea] and the plains of Thailand ..

I see it as the same problem Hitler has in the Stalingrad campaign. Seize the main rail hubs first and then go deep into the main objectives .. doing the latter first was disastrous .. at least in Adolf's case ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1935
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 7:27:40 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

Ayutthaya is the key to this puzzle. It controls the rail into the heart of Thailand. Seize Ayutthaya and the IJ are in trouble. That I suggest is the main focus. A threat of coming across the river to Bangkok directly might hold some LCU's there. The nice thing about Ayutthaya is the lack of urban terrain making it more vulnerable to ground attack from the air. These forces must be disrupted and disabled for the river crossing ...

Once Ayutthaya is taken then the fingers can go out and isolate the one hex south connecting Bangkok to the rest of the world [besides the sea] and the plains of Thailand ..

I see it as the same problem Hitler has in the Stalingrad campaign. Seize the main rail hubs first and then go deep into the main objectives .. doing the latter first was disastrous .. at least in Adolf's case ..

Agreed! Three more turns if Erik doesn´t shift too much...I think he might give up on it after the last turn and the 4E love shown there. Its just not possible to defend clear hexes.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1936
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/2/2013 8:51:58 PM   
JocMeister

Did something risky this turn. Erik better send the turn back for tomorrow!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1937
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 10:17:29 AM   
JocMeister

4th December -44

The airwar over Thailand continues.

------------------------
Thailand
------------------------

Another good day for the allies. Another 60 Japanese fighters are shot down. But the cost is high. 16 P51s and 6 Hellcats are lost. While it sounds silly that losing 22 fighters in December 44 is a big deal...well it is. P51 pools are now completely drained and two of the "B" version squadrons are unable to fill out.

----------------------
Aces lost
1 Double Ace KIA
2 Aces KIA
3 Aces WIA

Aces gained
1 new double aces
6 new aces
----------------------

I have to do a complete overhaul of the airforce next turn. I´m going to take 6 USAAF squadrons off combat (2 P51 and 4 P47). I will probably use the 6 squadrons for GRND training and switch them to P40s.

Erik in turn struck out at the armor sitting at Nakhon. One of the small RAC regiments really took a beating and will be unable to attack for a while. Nonetheless I will attack with the rest next turn. I´m actually quite happy with Eriks attention in the area. It looks like he has failed to realise where the true danger lies. Or he is simply unwilling to operate within range of allied airpower.

I in turn managed to strike at the airfield at Saigon. I have to admit I´m quite disappointed in the result. I had expected a carnage after Erik had stacked 250 Bombers and 150 AUX on the airfield. It was not to be. I guess the weather was to blame.

The raid cost me 9 B-29 which is a small disaster in itself. I doubt the Japanese planes lost will even make Erik shrug. So I´ll have to write this one off as a failure.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Saigon , at 60,71

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 74 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 21
Ki-84a Frank x 24
Ki-100-I Tony x 7

Allied aircraft
B-29-1 Superfort x 65

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-100-I Tony: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 4 destroyed on ground
Ki-67-Ia (T) Peggy: 12 destroyed on ground
Ki-56 Thalia: 4 destroyed on ground
B7A2 Grace: 1 destroyed on ground
C6N1 Myrt: 1 destroyed on ground
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed on ground
J2M5 Jack: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-1 Superfort: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Saigon , at 60,71

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 12
Ki-84a Frank x 20
Ki-100-I Tony x 5

Allied aircraft
B-29-1 Superfort x 43

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-100-I Tony: 1 damaged
Ki-100-I Tony: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 destroyed on ground
C6N1 Myrt: 1 destroyed on ground
J2M5 Jack: 1 destroyed on ground
B7A2 Grace: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-67-Ia (T) Peggy: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-1 Superfort: 1 destroyed, 9 damaged

What was interesting this turn was the Erik has put up a LRCAP over Ayuthia.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Ayuthia , at 56,61

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-J George x 9
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 43
Ki-84a Frank x 12
Ki-102b Randy x 26

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K2-J George: 2 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 2 destroyed
Ki-102b Randy: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 1 destroyed

This is where the allied P47s will strike tomorrow. 4Es will pound the troops on the ground in preparation of the crossing that will take place in two days. One more unit has arrived but troop count is still only 22k troops.

------------------------
Mindanao/Luzon
------------------------

Erik sweeps empty skies over Luzon. No doubt trying to hit some leaky CAP. No luck for him there. I don´t have a single fighter active over Luzon right now. Not until I can move in with massive numbers. Still building up the AFs here. On Mindanao I expect the unloading from transports will finish up tomorrow. Everything will then be loaded on barges and LSTs and shipped over to Luzon. Feels like everything is moving at a snails pace here. Waiting and waiting.

Erik has also created a lot of MTBs around the area. Rather than to wait for them to strike my shipping (they are almost completely invulnerable to both air and naval attacks) I will form a couple of 4 ship DD TFs to strike at them. I´m also going to try sending some subs and PTs after them.

------------------------
Marianas
---------------------------

Transfers of Fighters are now ready. B29s will start arriving within a week. I will only be able to field a few squadrons from here though as CAP needs to be maintained. Besides with the lack of any level 9 AF the Marianas have lost most of the significance it had in the real war. It can never be truly used as a staging point for strategic bombing. There is simply not enough room.

No screen up as there is nothing new to show from the screen in #1929. Let me know if there is anything in particular you want to see!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1938
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 10:51:41 AM   
JocMeister

Planning ahead. An old discovery!

I was skimming my AAR trying to find some stuff on the air war over Burma when I found this post. I posted this on day before Christmas 2012. The in game date was October -43. I got some advice from Bullwinkle to formulate a broad strategy of what I wanted to accomplish during -44. Looks like I might tick all the 3 objectives!

As can be seen in the text I had actually at this time not secured PM yet!
quote:

1st objective

Reach the South China Sea by land.
This probably requires a collapse of Japanese resistance in Burma. We have yet to lock horns there but the air war is showing promise. With some 25 allied divisions in place this is where the main focus will continue to be.

2nd objective

Land forces on Mindanao.
This might be the most optimistic goal of them all. It will require that the Moluccas are secured no later then September/October. I really need to secure PM fast in order to get moving. Rabaul will be bypassed if needed to buy time.

3rd objective

Invade and secure the Marshalls
This is really just for fun and practice. Mostly practice. I have some 4-5 divisions slated for operations. I will begin by invading Tarawa/Abemama/Makin in April/May. I hope to include Wake in this.

I will break each objective down later and add sub objectives and try and set a time table for them.

What do you guys think? I know its very optimistic but I think it should be! I´m running out of time her
e!

Formulating these 3 objectives have been a tremendous help for me. I urge anyone reaching 43 to do this. When Allied numbers really start to take off you need to know where to send them. While not thinking actively on my 3 objectives they have always been there in the back of my head and governed EVERY move I had done. Every single ship, plane or LCU that has been utilised towards one of the 3 objectives. If you don´t have a clear picture and goal to strive for its easy to dissipate your forces not really doing anything instead. Or sending a Corps to the wrong theatre loosing 6 months in the process. Stuff like that can be devastating.

So take your time. Sit down, look at the map. Where do you want to be in 45? Then work your way backwards. Mindanao? Then you need the Moluccas in the autumn of 44. What do you need for that? Marianas and/or NG by mid 44. What do you need for that? Wake in spring 44... and so on.

I would say this is probably the most important thing you will do in the game. In my second PBEM I sat down on day one and decided where I want to be by the end of 42. When 42 is up I will look at the map and decide where I want to be on the 1st of January -45.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1939
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 1:25:15 PM   
Speedysteve

This is good advice Jocke. Agreed. It's such a big game with a massive scope. You need to have goals you want to work towards and plan accordingly.

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1940
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 1:26:50 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Objective planning is, as you say, at the heart of the matter.

But now you don't have a year to plan out. You really are far more short of time than you think. The historic war ends in less than a year; the Soviets activate before that. I think you need to start planning in month or at most 60-day chunks. No matter how much hardware you have it still takes as long to get from San Francisco to Manila as it did in early 1942.

Can't tell you what to do in Burma. I think in general going past Bangkok and into Indochina is a great idea. But you don't have time to dink around forever with sweeps and LRCAP stuff. He is short of supply on the ground and he'll never be short of airplanes in the skies. Use the firepower and mobility you have now and kick your way into the southland. Pick a strategy for China's horde and ruthlessly execute it. The time for the waltz is over. Time is your enemy now. Slam dance!

The Moose

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1941
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 2:45:59 PM   
Crackaces

One thing about this game .. it is quite possible to achieve victory through a Southeast Asia/China strategy. I have done it -- twice. The open terrain of the planes of Thailand are impossible for the IJ to defend. Soon Allied forces will be in China securing such bases like Hong Kong with numerator multiplier 640 and denominator multiplier of 160. It might be worth diverting forces south to take Singapore -- another big points swing for the good guys. (1890 multiplier numerator /420 multiplier denominator)

I have to agree with the Moose here on the blitzkrieg after Ayuthia is captured. I might suggest that base forces are trapped in Bangkok with a few scattered BF's in Southeast Asia. Unless the IJ have spent engineers building up Southeast Asia -- most of these bases start as 1(7). Thus once Ayuthia is taken the Allies can move forward rapidly knowing that the IJ will be lacking support and engineers. Things will suddenly collapse.

One thing that might be on the agenda is that secure Cam Ranh Bay and Puerto Princesa -- Once DB's and TB's are based that will ensure nothing leaves the DEI for Japan. Depending on how much HI has been saved .. collapse of the Economy happens rather quickly ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1942
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 5:12:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

If one is playing for VPs (and I of course think folks should if they want the design to mesh) the base multipliers are key.

Jocke, what I'm saying is this. You've spent all of this game focusing on the air war. It really interests you. In 1943 if you come up from the south as you did it must be central. But now you have a massive advantage in ground quality, especially in USMC infantry and all AFVs. (When you get the Soviets their arty is fearsome.) You do not have an advantage in the air, and never will in numbers. At the leading edge the quality difference is pretty small and you win only because of pilots.

But you don't have time to creep forward under tight air cover, building bases as you leap-frog. His vulnerability is ground supply. The Allies rarely think about it, but running huge troop bombing ops eats supply like locusts. He is short on supply. Make him shorter by taking his LI away as you go. But GO! Run out from under your umbrella, take your losses, and keep punching him in the face all the way to CRB. Three months, tops.

The Moose

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1943
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 7:20:35 PM   
JocMeister

Lots of good points and I agree with it. I need to push and I need to do it now. I have completely broken through Eriks perimeter. Recon seems to indicate most of Indochina is empty with the exception of Rangoon. I have no idea why Erik hasn´t abandoned it yet. Its a lost cause. Once Ayuthia is captured I will cease Bangkok. I have such overwhelming numbers prepped and ready for it (including a Command/Corps combo) that it will fall quickly. Erik has no more then 5-6 ID worth of troops there and I have 3500 OZ/US/Brit AV. Also every available combat engineer and 4 Arty units with those big 25 pounders.

I have decided to skip any campaign into Malaya for now. It might happen once Eriks superstack is dealt with. I will leave 6000 AV to deal with Eriks it. About 3500 AV of those are chinese but they are backed up by lots of arty and AT guns as well as 3 African IDs and 6 Indian IDs. If needed I can quickly reinforce from the additional forces in Thailand. And fighting in defensive terrain they will do good enough. If Erik somehow breaks out east he will be in clear hexes within a huge 4E base and I should be able to defeat him outright.

I will use the available forces in Southern Thailand to secure Indochina and push along the coast towards Hong Kong. Armor will be left in central Thailand to raise hell and if possible cut the rail on the east coast. They will move in an NE direction outside aircover. If Erik keeps pounding them I might have to pull them back. But I´ll wait and see. Luzon will go hot again in just a week or two and Erik will have to decide to relocate the bombers there or not. If he doesn´t. Thats actually better for me!

Tomorrow I think Erik is going to throw everything at my troops crossing into Ayuthia. They are in combat mode and I hope the embedded AA can ward off the worst. I don´t have fighters to spare for LRCAP anyway. Besides. I´m guessing Eriks troops will be in worse shape after the 4Es visit again just before the crossing.

So the plan now is:
Ayuthia
Bangkok
East fast as hell.

Go go go!!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1944
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 7:50:37 PM   
JocMeister

PS. I´m going to put the current book I´m reading on hold (The Liberation of the Philippines, Samuel Eliot Morison) and reread Red Storm Rising. I have many fond memories of reading that book for the first time in my mid teens and have long thought of giving it another go. Seems appropriate to do so right now. I think this will be my fourth or fifth time reading it.

RIP Tom Clancy.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1945
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 8:46:45 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

PS. I´m going to put the current book I´m reading on hold (The Liberation of the Philippines, Samuel Eliot Morison) and reread Red Storm Rising. I have many fond memories of reading that book for the first time in my mid teens and have long thought of giving it another go. Seems appropriate to do so right now. I think this will be my fourth or fifth time reading it.

RIP Tom Clancy.

Has always been my favorite of all his works. The scene I love most is when they pump out the artificially induced list on the Nimitz at the shipyard and put her back into operation right after the Russian satellite passes over.

On a side note to the post prior to the one I quoted, aren't 25 pounders small, as on the order of about 87.6mm?

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 10/3/2013 8:50:25 PM >

Hans

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1946
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 8:49:16 PM   
catwhoorg

I took Red Storm Rising on my last business trip (way back in March, don't know where this year has gone).

Still a fascinating study, and a durn good read.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1947
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/3/2013 10:55:35 PM   
paullus99

Larry Bond was actually responsible for most Red Storm Rising - as evidenced by Larry's later works (like Red Phoenix) and how bad Tom's later work got as well......Nice guy and all, but not the author that he has been made out to be.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 1948
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/4/2013 6:08:59 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Larry Bond was actually responsible for most Red Storm Rising - as evidenced by Larry's later works (like Red Phoenix) and how bad Tom's later work got as well......Nice guy and all, but not the author that he has been made out to be.

Well, with 100 million books sold think there might be quite a few people disagreeing with you...

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 1949
RE: Allies land on Luzon!! - 10/4/2013 6:55:12 AM   
DOCUP

I have not read the red storm rising. I might have to do that

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1950
Page:   <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Allies land on Luzon!! Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI