Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newb question- finding a pirate base

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Newb question- finding a pirate base Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/1/2013 2:22:13 AM   
tylertoo

Playing as a pirate, there's another pirate faction in my cluster. How do I locate its space port? The diplo screen gives the general area, but I can't locate the base, which I intend to take out. What am I missing?
Post #: 1
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/1/2013 3:23:42 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

The base can literally be anywhere in that region. Although I usually find them in systems, I have found them in gas clouds.

As well it might be counting a fully developed Pirate Colony as the base, just a guess, but I as well have saturated areas looking for the Pirates to only find nothing. If the base is on a planet, you'll need people on the ground, or a lucky Espionage result to reveal them.

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/1/2013 7:43:45 AM   
Canute0

Try:
- Inteligence mission Steal Teritprial Map.
- explore or reexplore the systems of the area. Maybe use a ship with long range scanner so you don't need to stop at each system.
- capture ship/base reveal sometimes the location.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/1/2013 2:56:09 PM   
tylertoo

Thank you gentlemen. You confirmed what I had been thinking... that you have to search, the pirate's home is not something that immediately shows up in the diplo screen or on the map.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 4
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/1/2013 4:49:55 PM   
Bingeling

If you spot their ships, they are on their way somewhere. After battle, often "home". That may help narrow down the area.

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 5
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/3/2013 2:38:34 AM   
tylertoo

Thanks Bing.

Another question: I just I had taken control of an indie colony and discovered a secret pirate base of my enemy pirate faction. How do I destroy it? Just hit scrap?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/3/2013 3:15:31 AM   
Kayoz

Move some troops to the planet.
Open the colony screen.
Select the planet.
Click on the "facilities" tab.
Select the offending base.
Click "attack"

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 7
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/3/2013 7:00:44 PM   
Mad Igor

"some" lol you need 5+ to take that out

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 8
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/4/2013 1:21:30 AM   
Kayoz

Depends - race of troops, experience, etc. And of course, if you have cloning facility and have some buffed troops... oh wait - 1.9.0.11 broke it and there's been no word on if/when it'll be fixed.

I usually divide my troops into small groups of 8-10 troops, moving them around as needed, and massing for invasions. So I guess "a few" in my mind is one of these groups. Ya, 5 might be OK if you're not using Teekans.

Not sure how pirate base strength works, however. Whether or not it's fixed strength or base + something else.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 9
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/4/2013 5:25:11 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

Depends - race of troops, experience, etc. And of course, if you have cloning facility and have some buffed troops... oh wait - 1.9.0.11 broke it and there's been no word on if/when it'll be fixed.

I usually divide my troops into small groups of 8-10 troops, moving them around as needed, and massing for invasions. So I guess "a few" in my mind is one of these groups. Ya, 5 might be OK if you're not using Teekans.

Not sure how pirate base strength works, however. Whether or not it's fixed strength or base + something else.

Not sure how the Bases are calculated, but sometimes they have Defending Units, sometimes nothing.

A Pop-Up window that should be added is a worlds have a Pirate base start construction, currently it only alerts you after it is finished being built and you have units available there.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 10
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/6/2013 10:17:49 PM   
tylertoo

All right, stupid question #3. From where to player-pirates get troops? Colonies they control? Their own space port?

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 11
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/7/2013 7:42:15 AM   
Canute0

Space Port: thats your Pirate base you can build with the construction ship.

Planet: You can takeover a planet when you build a Criminal Network on that planet. That convert your Pirate empire into a regular empire since you own a planet now.

Troops: When you own a planet you can recuit troops there. Before that you only can raid planets with Assault pods.

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 12
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/7/2013 2:52:32 PM   
tylertoo

Thank you Canute.

So this answer leads me -- with clarity -- back to my earlier situation.

As a pirate, I control a particular colony, and discover that another pirate already has a secret pirate base there. The only way to destroy the base is to land troops, but as I don't yet own any other planets (its early), I have no way to recruit troops and thus have no way at this point in time to attack the secret pirate base.

Is this correct?

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 13
RE: Newb question- finding a pirate base - 10/7/2013 3:55:44 PM   
Canute0

correct, you can't attack a hidden base directly.
Raid the planet over and over. Each raid damage the hidden base or at last got a chance to damage it.

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Newb question- finding a pirate base Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI