Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cruiser Honolulu

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Cruiser Honolulu Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cruiser Honolulu - 1/17/2003 8:13:51 PM   
corbulo

Honoulu, the only allied cruiser to come out unscathed from Tassaafronga (30 November 1942) was called the "BLUE GOOSE",
does anyone know why? (This is not a quiz, I really dont know).
ALso,
At Coral Sea, which Carrier did Sherman command? Later he commanded the Wasp, does anyone know what other, if any, carriers he commanded in WW2?

virtute omne regatur
Post #: 1
- 1/17/2003 8:27:14 PM   
Feinder

Sherman was in command of the Lexington at Coral Sea; and this is also represented in UV if you pull up the Lexington. His ratings aren't too shabby either, if Lex is the only CV in the TF, I just leave him in command instead of selecting Admiral. You can't move him around to Wasp or whereever tho.

-F-

(in reply to corbulo)
Post #: 2
- 1/17/2003 9:22:54 PM   
Admiral DadMan

There are two Shermans who commanded carriers in WWII

Frederick C. Sherman commanded [I]Lexington[/I] up to her loss at Coral Sea, then went to staff duty until later in the war.

Forrest P. Sherman took command of [I]Wasp[/I] in August 1942 until her loss by submarine torpedo on 16 Sep 42.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to corbulo)
Post #: 3
- 1/17/2003 9:27:15 PM   
Drongo

Posted by corbulo
[QUOTE]Honoulu, the only allied cruiser to come out unscathed from Tassaafronga (30 November 1942) was called the "BLUE GOOSE", does anyone know why? (This is not a quiz, I really dont know).[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, the name came from the pre-war period when it had a blue paint scheme (don't ask why). At the same time it was also being used as a flagship (which would carry the admiral of the squadron). One of the cruiser's floatplanes was allocated as the personal a/c for the admiral and was painted blue (to differentiate it from the other floatplanes - assumedly to make it easier for him to find his plane after a night on the piss).

Supposedly, the predominance of blue (and the fact that a Duke Ellington hit called "Blue Goose" was doing the rounds at the time) got her the name which then stuck.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to corbulo)
Post #: 4
- 1/17/2003 9:41:19 PM   
Feinder

Ah!

More useless trivial krap to try and stuff into my brain!

-F-

(in reply to corbulo)
Post #: 5
- 1/17/2003 9:51:50 PM   
Drongo

You never know when something like that will come in handy. It may be the clincher on your next attempt to pick up at a party (assuming you were after an old sailor).

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to corbulo)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Cruiser Honolulu Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI