Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stalingrad Campaign Flaw

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Stalingrad Campaign Flaw Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stalingrad Campaign Flaw - 1/15/2003 2:38:44 AM   
yamato

I made it to the Grain Silo scenario in the Stalingrad campaign,
having never lost a battle the whole stretch (mainly draws).
Regardless what I do in this one----destroy infantry with tanks
without taking a single loss-----after a couple of turns I'm handed a crushing defeat with the report I have lost 6 AFV's (which I have not ).:confused:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/special8.jpg
Post #: 1
- 1/15/2003 7:09:00 AM   
Supervisor

Just curios is this the updated 7.1 version or the H2H version?:confused:

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 2
- 1/15/2003 7:35:25 AM   
yamato

The 7.1 version---not the H2H.:confused:

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 3
- 1/15/2003 7:36:52 AM   
Supervisor

The original that came with the game or the newely updated one available via download?

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 4
- 1/15/2003 10:57:53 AM   
yamato

The new downloaded one.:confused:

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 5
- 1/15/2003 11:28:21 AM   
Grenadier

First I've heard of it. Seeral others got tthrough this battle without a problem except for complaints about my PPT VO's. :DLooking at the results screen for side one, are any of the six destroyed units listed?

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 6
- 1/15/2003 9:52:34 PM   
Bing

Outside chance this might be an OOB problem.Was the campagin created with the April 7,02 OOB's or OOB's from the original Feb 5,02 v7.1 release? I don't think there is much difference but one never knows how it will affect the game.

We also have not prescribed the standard medicine: Delte the .prf file and rebuild.

In addition, I have found that playing over an extended period of time tends to build up the potential for strange, unexplained WAW behavior. I save when I complete each turn, then after an hour or so leave the game completely, reboot the computer and resume play.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 7
- 1/16/2003 3:37:29 AM   
Redleg

While I do not play campaigns, I want to mention that when I play extensively through a day, it really does seem that some data is sometains retained by the game.

Bing's suggestion to exit, even re-boot and re-enter periodically is exactly what I do when a scenario begins to behave erratically or in unexpected ways.

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 8
- 1/16/2003 9:46:48 AM   
yamato

Doesn't matter how many times I play it. I only start with three tanks----leave all the rest of the units out play on the edge of the map. Shell spotted Russians until they retreat---use hex attack fire if they are unspotted ( as I know where they are having played it so many times ). Careful to keep out of any Russian adjacent hexes. After three turns am given the crushing defeat result----shows 6 afv's destroyed for player 1---shows the number of Russians infantry I killed ( usually 30 something ) for player 2. My score of 95---the Russian score of 1130. If I push the player one button the only three tanks I have are still shown as alive---though in a state of retreat or routed whichever the case may be due to the long range infantry shots and one AT rifle in the silo.:confused:

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 9
- 1/16/2003 12:33:20 PM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yamato
[B]Doesn't matter how many times I play it. I only start with three tanks----leave all the rest of the units out play on the edge of the map. Shell spotted Russians until they retreat---use hex attack fire if they are unspotted ( as I know where they are having played it so many times ). Careful to keep out of any Russian adjacent hexes. After three turns am given the crushing defeat result----shows 6 afv's destroyed for player 1---shows the number of Russians infantry I killed ( usually 30 something ) for player 2. My score of 95---the Russian score of 1130. If I push the player one button the only three tanks I have are still shown as alive---though in a state of retreat or routed whichever the case may be due to the long range infantry shots and one AT rifle in the silo.:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

When they set the campaign up did they put any destroyed tanks on the map as scenery?

Sometimes other units get incorrectly reported as a certain type of kill, as I recall some bunkers count as aircraft kills.

Did you start the battle without repairing damaged vehicles from the previous battle? That can sometimes screw up things.
thanks, John.

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 10
- 1/16/2003 8:43:40 PM   
Alexandra

Yamato,

What are you doing with the rest of the units, other than those 3 tanks?

Are they idle at the edge of the board, or, have you removed them from play with the retreat hex??

If the latter, the game may be doing a check for scenario ending early based on the fact you have no VHs and most of your force is out of play, the same reasons that one can end early if the AI's been whipped and all VHs are taken.

Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 11
- 1/17/2003 6:46:55 AM   
yamato

Yes---I was able to only repair one tank and purchase one before the scenario---which would mean I had at least 6 still destroyed from previous missions. Yes---there are damaged tanks at the start of the scenario strewn about the battlefield.
As far as the units I left on the edge out of play ( I did not exit them )---I only tried that as a last resort to find out how the game would react if I was certain I had lost nothing---if that would make a difference or not---which it did not as far as
crushing defeat goes. Bit even playing with all units the game still
gives me a crushing defeat after three or so moves.

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 12
- 1/17/2003 7:45:43 AM   
Grenadier

After the halfway point the point per turn hexes really work against you. There is also a hidden one that will really rack up AI points once it becomes visible. If your infantry are not in the silo by turn 5 it will be tough to get a victory

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 13
Re: Stalingrad Campaign not a flaw - 1/17/2003 12:26:41 PM   
BryanMelvin

Yamato,

The Grian Silo was designed based on the likelyhood that the player would have received heavy damage to his/her core forces armor assets by time game reached the Grain Silo scenario.

If this occured, limited rebuild points would prevent Armor from being repaired for this battle and battle would be a more Historically correct battle fought on that date portrayed in Grain Silo scenario.

If armor was not heavily damaged from previous battles, then the results would most be more in favor for the player.

If you have the previous scenario battle before the Grain Silo saved - attach it to this post. I can then set up a confrimed win for you for the Grain Silo and send score back to you so you can continue the game.

This new updated Stalingrad Campaign was designed unlike anything most players have seen. It will teach you tactics. It was designed to help teach a player these skills (Nine Principles of War) on a spwaw level: Objective, Offensive (seize & exploit initiative), Mass, Economy of Force, Celarity-ie-Maneuver, Surprise, Simplicity, and Security.

It can tech you about -Unity of Command- but the game engine is limited in this area. What it tries to teach a player is the use of the Nine Principles of War just mentioned.

Hint - The Principle of Security is very important :eek:

Let me know about the saved scenario.

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 14
- 1/17/2003 11:24:37 PM   
yamato

Appreciate the offer---but I simply took the loss and continued on with the campaign. ( the A/I did let the campaign continue ) I had no problem with the fact I couldn't repair all my armor, that's been the case for most of the scenarios
since early on. Still have a problem with the fact losses were reported that I didn't take---that's a flaw. As far as getting my infantry in the silo by turn 5----I can't even get to turn 5 without a crushing defeat being declared.

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 15
- 1/18/2003 10:24:57 AM   
BryanMelvin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yamato
[B]Appreciate the offer---but I simply took the loss and continued on with the campaign. ( the A/I did let the campaign continue ) I had no problem with the fact I couldn't repair all my armor, that's been the case for most of the scenarios
since early on. Still have a problem with the fact losses were reported that I didn't take---that's a flaw. As far as getting my infantry in the silo by turn 5----I can't even get to turn 5 without a crushing defeat being declared. [/B][/QUOTE]

This does sound like a system bug of some type. Please keep us posted on the out comes :cool:

(in reply to yamato)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Stalingrad Campaign Flaw Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI