Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pricing on release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Pricing on release Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pricing on release - 10/2/2013 9:29:35 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Drives. Me. Potty.

Why use a full stop so often? Is that a English thing?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 31
RE: Pricing on release - 10/2/2013 9:32:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Ahhhhhhhhhh

Why have peeps from the US suddenly all taken to saying "I could care less" when they mean couldn't care less???

Drives. Me. Potty.

Rant over. Thank-you.

Usually the person saying "I could care less" means "I couldn't care less". But the former isn't necessarily a mistake. Given the right emphasis on words and intonation it could be a sarcastic comment. Perhaps that will let you be less irritated when you see it in print.

Now about using the word 'utilize' instead of 'use', ...
warspite1

Mmmm...not getting it - even as sarcasm... ho hum.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 32
RE: Pricing on release - 10/2/2013 9:33:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Drives. Me. Potty.

warspite1

Just. For. Emphasis.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 33
RE: Pricing on release - 10/2/2013 9:35:26 PM   
composer99

quote:

quote:

Drives. Me. Potty.

That's a relatively new use of punctuation in the English vernacular.

If I am not mistaken it first emerged as a parody of a stylized variant of the speech pattern/form/style used by William Shatner when portrating James Kirk in Star Trek: rather halting, with exaggerated emphasis on each word.

It has since, particularly in the last decade, become much more widespread, such that now it appears, quite divorced from its original context, in a discussion forum for MWiF.

< Message edited by composer99 -- 10/2/2013 9:36:34 PM >

~ Composer99

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 34
RE: Pricing on release - 10/2/2013 9:39:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

quote:

Drives. Me. Potty.

If I am not mistaken it first emerged as a parody of a stylized variant of the speech pattern/form/style used by William Shatner when portrating James Kirk in Star Trek: rather halting, with exaggerated emphasis on each word.

It has since, particularly in the last decade, become much more widespread, such that now it appears, quite divorced from its original context, in a discussion forum for MWiF.
warspite1

Yeah? Well. I. could. care. less. where. it. derives. from.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 35
RE: Pricing on release - 10/2/2013 9:54:19 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

quote:

Drives. Me. Potty.

Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 36
RE: Pricing on release - 10/2/2013 10:08:48 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

Hi Num

You are a very thoughtful person and a lot of what you say is true, BUT, I am going to have to respectively disagree with you on a couple of issues you brought up.

Now I never played the board game, any board games are not my kind of game. I believe, but could be very wrong that the board game players might not give a hoot about the AI. They played the game always against a human opponet, they know no other way. I believe their desire will be to play all of their old time friends who played against them for years in apts., homes wherevere. And the answer to that is net play not the AI.

Now this coming from a person [me] who has begged Steve and Matrix for an AI on release, I am very fond of Steve and more so after I met him but he knows my feelings on this. No AI is a bad decision in the initial release, but it is what it is the die is cast and I have to move on from that.

I personally do not care about netplay, the reason being I want to play when I want play. My good friends Bjorn and Peter live in the Europen section of the world and the time difference is 5, 6, or 7 hours not good, hot seat is ok but my sons are into combat mission Normandy and could care less about this game. Now that kinda leaves me playing solo [Ugh] but not really I had to eat crow when I said no game can be played solitaire. This game can be played solitiare.

Now whether you buy the game or not I could care less, why because I aint getting a dime from this beta testing thing and Matrix's sales of this game

Now the last thing you said actually scares me, we have to have a Budweiser together and straighten that out. "I can buy 2 or 3 games from Matrix for the price of MWIF" Oh you can buy 3 games alright.

Name me those 3 games please so I can get them, how about a remake for Carriers at war, it might be redone, Scourge of War with little horse running all over the place crashing into each other, or maybe another Gary Grigsby monster of a game like his older game WITP, or better yet how about Civil war 2 where no one yet has ever figured out the calculation of combat from the famous Civil war 1 [Blue and the Gray]. Read some of the posts on that one.

I think you are a good guy and I love your posts but this one Hmmmmm. And I hopefully we can disagree with honor and not this

We may have a language issue and not a disagreement issue

As far as I can tell, I did not say that the players of the board game would not care about the AI. Of course they would.

The point I was making is that players of the board version would not care as much about the AI as people like myself. So they may be willing to pay a higher price for the game without an AI than someone like me who would not. If the non-AI version is cheap enough then, I may be tempted to give it a shot. If it is not, then I will wait until the AI is ready like a lot of other people are going to do.

As for the other games I would buy instead

Civil War 2 - and yes I have been following the threads there too
War in the West
Crown of Glory Empire Edition
Buzz Adrian Space Manager
Strategic Command 3

And these are just the ones that Matrix is doing. There are others by other companies that I am interested in too.

While I cannot get everything listed for a high priced WiF, I can certainly get enough to compensate for not buying WiF if the price for it without an AI is too high.

No language issue Num lets just say I misread you, I was going to answer this post in another way but after seeing your selection of games I decided not to, and I will just say " I have nerver known fear until now" and leave it at that.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 10/2/2013 10:10:03 PM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 37
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 12:30:51 AM   
Alejo1968

Now I feel guilty... Not only initiated a debate about pricing, but also, about language...

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 38
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 1:24:56 AM   
Numdydar

You should post more often Just to see what other things you could stir up lol.

(in reply to Alejo1968)
Post #: 39
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 3:30:12 AM   
CrusssDaddy

It's been almost a decade since I last bought a computer game (maybe Victoria? Operational Art of War? I don't even remember...). Back then I think $40-50 was the common price. You guys seem not to be bothered about paying into 3-figures, but that price astounds me. Is $100+ really the going rate these days?

< Message edited by CrusssDaddy -- 10/3/2013 3:33:42 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 40
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 4:23:45 AM   
Grotius

$60-#80 is not uncommmon for Matrix games. These games aren't mass-market hits; they target a niche audience, so the publisher has to charge more to recoup development costs. Three figures is high for any computer game, but that price is not unheard-of for high-quality board games with components like the bound book that I gather will be part of MWIF. I have paid three figures for a number of board games -- Space Hulk, War in the Pacific, Lord of the Rings Deluxe edition, probably some of the OCS titles.

I'd rather pay $120 for one MWIF than two $60 console games.

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 41
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 4:56:18 AM   
Zorachus99

Considering the joy (and big $$) with which I re-bought counters after my first few boxed sets, I'd be overjoyed to pay anything less than $200.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 42
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 7:52:39 AM   
juntoalmar

Well, simply calculate the ratio $/hours played.

I've spent many many hours playing "Rise & Decline of the Third Reich" PC Version (now abandonware). Even if it had costed me 150$, that would mean less than 1$/hour, much better ratio than watching films or other fun activities.

If I'm not going to really play WiF... it would be an expensive whim.

On the other hand, if it's going to be the ultimate WWII wargame (and that's my intention ), well... then I'm sure it's price wise to me.

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 43
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 8:14:37 AM   
juntoalmar

Actually, I've just thought that if you have a beer (and maybe some chips) every time you sit to play... you will end spending more money on drinks than in the game itself!

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 44
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 8:27:30 AM   
aspqrz02

Or 'exploit' ... got some Mining Company exec in a LOT of trouble here in Oz in the 70's. He meant 'develop' ... Australian Reporters heard 'steal'.

Or Muhammed Ali, when called 'mate' by a Reporter at a Press conference (again, here in Oz = Australia. And we're Aussies, pronounced Ozzies, and NEVER Ossies [which are East Germans as I understand it) ... he tried to kill the guy, since *he* heard (so he explained, later) 'homosexual' when the Reporter was saying 'friend' (he had to be restrained bodily by several other reporters and prevented from completing his mission )

English ... five continents and three large islands* separated by a common language

* UK, North America, Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland/Eire

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 45
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 11:04:21 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: aspqrz
Or Muhammed Ali, when called 'mate' by a Reporter at a Press conference

Actually I think you are referring to Bert Newton who said on live TV with emphasis "I Like the boy!!!" (not realising that "boy" is quite offensive to African-Americans) and then followed two minutes of hilarious TV as Bert tried to figure our why Muhammed Ali wanted to punch his lights out.

To be fair to Bert, "I like the boy" is a known saying in Australia and has a favourable meaning. Just the wrong thing to say at that moment

/Greyshaft

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 46
RE: Pricing on release - 10/3/2013 3:16:10 PM   
aspqrz02

Could be. It was a long time ago, maybe I misremembered ... but I thought it took place at a Press Conference at Sydney Airport ... so it may be that there were two separate events ... Mr Ali was, shall we say, known to be occasionally intemperate

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 47
RE: Pricing on release - 10/4/2013 3:17:51 PM   
Neilster

I agree with several of the posts above. I paid 90 Aussie bucks retail a game for TOAW 1 and a bunch of others 15 years ago. Now, our Pacific Peso was worth about 60 US cents back then and it is near parity now but I was prepared to do it because on a cost/hour basis they were still bargains.

I just had a thought. Sometimes if a product is quite expensive, people will assume that it must be amazing. That may apply here but probably not until we have an AI.

I was in the RAAF with a bloke whose uncle was a millionaire landscape gardener. His strategy was just to do a normal job but charge an absolute fortune. People would ask "Oh, who did your garden and how much did it cost?" and when they heard the figure they assumed he must have been awesome. He had all these idiots competing with each other on how much they could spend.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to aspqrz02)
Post #: 48
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 9:38:25 AM   
Joseignacio

As for me, I wont care to pay 100 or more for the game, I know I will use it and it will repay with game hours. What I am worried about is my wiffer friends attitude. If they dont buy it because they consider that 60 euros (for example ) is too much for a game with no AI, first I am worried that if this attitude is extended, the sales can be smaller than projected in the WIF community, second, it will reduce the number of local and worldwide opponents.

I published the news in the wif mail list and it was received with few enthusiasm... Which is not so surprising considering they are very focused in the DoD and some in newer versions of wif. But its curious...

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 49
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 5:40:21 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

As for me, I wont care to pay 100 or more for the game, I know I will use it and it will repay with game hours. What I am worried about is my wiffer friends attitude. If they dont buy it because they consider that 60 euros (for example ) is too much for a game with no AI, first I am worried that if this attitude is extended, the sales can be smaller than projected in the WIF community, second, it will reduce the number of local and worldwide opponents.

I published the news in the wif mail list and it was received with few enthusiasm... Which is not so surprising considering they are very focused in the DoD and some in newer versions of wif. But its curious...

One of the assests of this game for me are the manuals by Steve, I posted before I have a very bad problem starring at a lit screen reading and absorbing the game rules. I really find it annoying but thats just me. With the manuals I can rest on a couch or on my patio in comfort and RTFM [Steves caption not mine ]

Bo

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 50
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 6:21:59 PM   
Sewerlobster

Well, price is price. Even with AI, most people have a budget and the higher the price the less likely the sale. I have stated before that while AI is the paramount feature for me followed by PBeM, I will gladly buy-in now in the hopes that these features are added later.

My life doesn't offer much opportunity for consistent netplay time, but I love WiF as solitaire diversion and this product offers a great opportunity for me to play. So it's just a matter of if I can afford it, for me.

Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 51
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 6:44:33 PM   
juntoalmar

I agree. IA is a great extra to have, but at the end you enjoy it playing against humans or yourself. Still, IA is a great way to learn the do's and dont's.

What about PBEM? Is it included from start? That's a big issue to me (it's the way I use to play).

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 52
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 6:48:31 PM   
Joseignacio

No, it's left for the next year's (hopefully) release...

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 53
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 6:59:59 PM   
juntoalmar

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhh.... that hurted.

But...

1) When you save the game, isn't it stored in a file? Can't you just email it to your opponent? I guess the problem is that there is interaction during each impulse...

2) I guess we will not have to buy again the game when it is released with IA and PBEM...

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 54
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 7:04:33 PM   
composer99

I suspect that the PBEM implementation will prevent other players from seeing "your" stuff (I am especially thinking of US entry).

~ Composer99

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 55
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 10:01:54 PM   
juntoalmar

So how is multiplayer game implemented in the first release?

Both have to be connected at the same time?

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 56
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 10:27:53 PM   
Numdydar

Yes through NetPlay. Also only two players can play togeather at the release as well.

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 57
RE: Pricing on release - 10/7/2013 11:17:35 PM   
danlongman

This type of discussion makes me think of people discussing the price of newspapers, comic books and hard bound historical tomes.
One costs more to make and market than another. Some guys are saying "I only buy the finest volumes but think they should be
priced like newspapers." And "How come I can't buy the US Army Official History of WW2 at 7/11? For a buck? I get free porn everywhere."
There are reasons for this and clearly there is a shortage of marketing experts posting versus fans expressing their dreams.
If you brag about only buying one or two games a year who gives a donkey's dump if you think they should be priced at a dollar or two?
That is how much ignoring you will cost the producer... in real dollars. That just might enter into the equation.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 58
RE: Pricing on release - 10/15/2013 11:55:06 PM   
28ID

I'm going to guess a price (not a "price point" -- a trendy term I despise) of $120 for WIF. I hope it will turn out to be another WITP/AE in hours played and enjoyment received. I think I spent about $150 on WITP/AE, the game map and notepads and pens for keeping track of things. I have put in thousands of hours playing the games, so it's been a good investment.

(in reply to Alejo1968)
Post #: 59
RE: Pricing on release - 10/16/2013 1:44:15 AM   
Otto von Blotto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

$60-#80 is not uncommmon for Matrix games. These games aren't mass-market hits; they target a niche audience

True and without an AI or PBEM option it is very likely to stay that way.
This is a pity as I have been watching and waiting for this game, quietly and patiently for very many years but without these components it would make it very hard to justify a premium price tag to me at this time.

Sorry but I'm out.

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Pricing on release Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI