Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 9/30/2013 2:58:00 PM   
DampSquib

2 on the go
A RUMOR OF WAR - Philip Caputo.
& THE PROUD BASTARDS - E.Michael Helms.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 841
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/4/2013 6:26:10 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 842
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2013 1:31:55 PM   
juntoalmar

Tolstoi's War & Peace

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 843
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2013 2:11:06 PM   
warspite1

Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes To War - Max Hastings

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 844
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2013 3:01:00 PM   
nate25

Just picked up -

The Pacific Campaign
The U.S.-Japanese naval War 1941-45
Dan van der Vat

The Atlantic Campaign by the same author was good, so I'm expecting good things here as well.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 845
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2013 7:26:03 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 846
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2013 7:45:42 PM   
Orm

Hunters from the sky : the German parachute corps, 1940-1945 - Charles Whiting

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 847
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/5/2013 9:47:04 PM   
Skeleton

Barbarossa: The Russian-German Conflict 1941-45 Alan Clark

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marcus the leper -- 10/6/2013 2:26:40 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 848
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/6/2013 2:07:22 AM   
Perturabo

Ian Watson - Space Marine. What happens when an actual sci-fi writer meets Warhammer 40000k.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 849
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/6/2013 3:50:43 AM   
Plodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
Ian Watson - Space Marine. What happens when an actual sci-fi writer meets Warhammer 40000k.

Inquisitor and Harlequin are pretty damn good too.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 850
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/6/2013 3:58:26 AM   
Plodder

I'm currently reading The Black Effect by Harvey Black. Part 2 of his World War III series,set in 1984. Mainly told from the British side.Author used be part of the BRIXMIS intelligence-gathering unit so it's fairly authentic.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 851
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/6/2013 5:06:52 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Inquisitor and Harlequin are pretty damn good too.

True. I have them in the Inquisition Wars omnibus. Together with Space Marine they are my favourite Wh40k novels, and some of my favourite science-fantasy novels in general.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 852
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/6/2013 8:03:01 PM   
Boomer78

Been rereading The Fall of Berlin by Anthony Read and David Fisher. Excellent but LONG read. There's no better book though for the study on Hitler's very expensive funeral arrangements.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 853
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/6/2013 9:53:07 PM   
Jevhaddah

Currently making my around the Richard Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell, just about to finish Sharpes Gold.

Great stuff

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 854
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2013 5:46:37 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes To War - Max Hastings
warspite1

Folks - this is proving to be a goooooooooooood book

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 855
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2013 6:37:15 AM   
Boomer78

Can anyone recommend any good books on the 30 years war? I have a feeling AGEOD will be making a game based on that conflict soon, and the 30 years war is one of those European squabbles I know next to nothing about. Something about a guy's ear... something about inbred royal houses getting mad over costume changes... who knows. I don't. Books resolve that. Any suggestions?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 856
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/12/2013 10:07:08 AM   
Aurelian

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson is what I'm reading at the moment.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 857
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/13/2013 7:08:01 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Tear Down the Wall!!!

quote:

The Alabama Supreme Court May Collapse Obama’s House Of Cards
What’s been the biggest obstacle in challenging Obama’s eligibility in court? It’s been finding a judge who isn’t afraid to allow the merits of the case against Obama to be argued in court. The Alabama Supreme Court might just be different. In an earlier case before the Alabama Supremes, Associate Judge Tom Parker stated that “McInnish has attached certain documentation (Joe Arpaio’s investigation) to his mandamus petition, which, if presented to the appropriate forum as part of a proper evidentiary presentation, would raise serious questions about the authenticity of both the ‘short form’ and ‘long form’ birth certificates of President Barack Hussein Obama that have been made public.”

Here, we have a judge who actually recognizes that the fake birth certificates are a serious issue and should be addressed. Now we have a new case before the Alabama Supreme Court. This case is McInnish/Goode v. Beth Chapman (SOS). It is being handled by famous attorney Larry Klayman. Also, it will be the first and only civil case in which Joe Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse is personally involved. Chief investigator for Arpaio Mike Zullo has written a 200 point affidavit to this court and has agreed to testify in person. Zullo will show the court that the “picture” of the long form birth certificate is a 100% digitally created fake.

Now comes even better news. In the 2012 elections, Alabama elected Judge Roy Moore as the Chief Justice of her Supreme Court. In an earlier interview concerning the case against Terry Lakin, Justice Moore stated that he not only thought that Lt. Col Lakin had a right to question Obama’s eligibility, but had a duty to do so.

He also said that he has seen no documentary evidence that Obama is a natural born citizen, and in fact hasn’t seen anything that even proves he is a citizen of the US. Judge Roy Moore is a staunch Constitutionalist who declares that the Constitution is the “law of the land” and cannot be changed by politics. He’s a tough judge.

I’ve followed most of the eligibility cases, and I’ve noticed a very common occurrence. Even in those cases in which the judge appears to follow the law, there seems always to be a sudden and abrupt change. As in the Georgia case before Judge Michael Malihi, the case was pretty well decided by a default judgment against Obama when Malihi abruptly dismissed the case. This was done even though Obama’s attorneys refused to show up in court.

When you read Judge Malihi’s decision and compare it to his earlier denial of motion to dismiss, it’s as if they were written by two different people. Could it be that Judge Malihi got a visit? And from whom? And who wrote the decision? I don’t see this happening to Judge Roy Moore and the Alabama Supreme Court. I don’t think they can be intimidated. There is no timeline for the court to rule on this case, so we wait to see what happens. This could be monumental.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/alabama-supreme-court-may-collapse-obamas-house-cards/#IprHeoCWd0jqREjL.99

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 858
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/13/2013 10:06:49 PM   
Mrs Darwin

I just finished Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and am about halfway through Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online by Chris Brogan. The former was far more entertaining than the latter.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 859
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2013 6:38:34 PM   
SLAAKMAN

ALL WARS ARE BANKERS' WARS!

quote:

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service as a member of our country's most agile military force -- the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent more of my time being a high--class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. "I suspected I was just a part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of the higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service. Thus I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-12. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that the Standard Oil went its way unmolested. During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. I was rewarded with honors, medals and promotion. Looking back on it, I feel I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three city districts. I operated on three continents." -- General Smedley Butler, former US Marine Corps Commandant,1935

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/allwarsarebankerwars.php

Attachment (1)

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Mrs Darwin)
Post #: 860
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2013 7:16:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service as a member of our country's most agile military force -- the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent more of my time being a high--class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. "I suspected I was just a part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of the higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service. Thus I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-12. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that the Standard Oil went its way unmolested. During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. I was rewarded with honors, medals and promotion. Looking back on it, I feel I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three city districts. I operated on three continents." -- General Smedley Butler, former US Marine Corps Commandant,1935

warspite1

So when is he going to start having an original thought then?

So what religion were those bankers I wonder?

Hey Smedley, this old nonsense has been done to death - try saying something original.....

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 861
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2013 7:41:42 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

warspite1

Hey Smedley, this old nonsense has been done to death - try saying something original.....

Lets see, where do I begin O Silly Warspite-Newblette? We have more than $16 Trillion in debt in the US, Oil Cartels inflating oil to $102/Barrel, all commodities plus gold & silver at historical record highs but according to you all is just well....as for their "religion", its Freemason-

“I care not what puppet is placed upon the throne of England to rule the Empire on which the sun never sets. The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire, and I control the British money supply.” Baron Nathan Mayer de Rothschild, 1840-1915

“The death of Lincoln was a disaster for Christendom. There was no man in the United States great enough to wear his boots…I fear that foreign bankers with their craftiness and their torturous tricks will entirely control the exuberant riches of America, and use it systematically to corrupt modern civilization. They will not hesitate to plunge the whole of Christendom into wars and chaos in order that the earth shall become their (the bankers’) inheritance.”Chancellor of Germany, Otto Von Bismarck, 1865

“We will answer their demand for a gold standard saying to them, ‘You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns; you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold’.” . . . “The money power denounces, as public enemies, all who question its methods or throw light upon its crimes.”- William Jennings Brian, 1896

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 862
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2013 9:09:04 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

warspite1

When Gorg's tribe of cavemen went to war with Gorge's tribe way back in the days of clubs and stones, wonder who bankrolled it.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 863
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/14/2013 9:30:05 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

When Gorg's tribe of cavemen went to war with Gorge's tribe way back in the days of clubs and stones, wonder who bankrolled it.

No doubt you did.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 864
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/15/2013 10:31:16 AM   
Boomer78

Slaakman,
As much as I tend to agree with you on politics, I have to say your 'strategy' of winning hearts and minds leaves a lot to be desired. You need to gently caress a person through a paradigm shift. You don't caress them so much as punch them in the face. How can the unwashed masses join you when you're busy lobbing disease ridden animals over their castle walls?

Try actually engaging people in conversation. Interact rather than pontificate. And most importantly, keep in mind that others have an inherent right to think what they want, same as you. The level of of veiled animosity between you and the others here really bugs me. If you're trying to make converts to your cause, then a certain amount of salesmanship is required. If you truly don't care whether they join the great crusade of freedom, then you are just egging people on to start a fight... and that sends you into troll territory. I know, it's an overused word on the internets, but sometimes... you know, if the shoe fits.

Take a deep breath, prepare your homework and come back swinging. Hurling random pictures and insults at people does no one any good. Unless of course your only purpose is chaos and dissent, and in that case I can only applaud and get out the popcorn.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 865
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/15/2013 12:03:36 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Boomer78

"Insects dont have politics", as the story goes. No way to treat with the Faithless & Accursed here. Save the sermon for my detractors, my Lord. It is not I who is the sinner within these castle walls. All I do is post links and dive for cover. Why some dupes claim to know it all is the ultimate Proverbial Crux?!

quote:

Unless of course your only purpose is chaos and dissent, and in that case I can only applaud and get out the popcorn.

Ill join you.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 866
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/15/2013 12:43:27 PM   
Boomer78

Ah, so you see them as faithless... or maybe they're just... cattle? Profane? Just another religious piety that human egos can't handle properly. There is another group that sees the unwashed as mindless prey. They wield hammers and guide themselves by the square and compass. Perhaps you are familiar with them? So mote it be.

Be careful wrestling with monsters, lest you become a monster.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 867
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/15/2013 1:14:45 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

There is another group that sees the unwashed as mindless prey. They wield hammers and guide themselves by the square and compass. Perhaps you are familiar with them? So mote it be.

Im utterly familiar with them as evidenced by my case presented here.

quote:

Be careful wrestling with monsters, lest you become a monster.

If I succeed in overcoming that beast, I will achieve Vedanta-

quote:

Story of Vedanta

There is a story in Mundaka Upanishad that runs like this: Once in a tree there were two birds, one at the upper branch, serene, majestic and divine, and the other at a lower branch, restlessly pecking fruits, sometimes sweet sometimes bitter. Every time, when the restless bird ate a bitter fruit, it looked at the upper bird and climbed a branch up. This occurred a number of times and eventually the bird reached the topmost branch. There it was not able to differentiate itself from the divine bird, and then it learned that there was only one bird in the tree, the upper bird, which is described as divine, the real form of the other restless bird. This is the thought of Vedanta. The fruits in the story are Karma, the restless bird denotes a human soul, and the majestic bird denotes the Absolute.

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 10/15/2013 1:15:50 PM >

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 868
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/15/2013 7:00:10 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Ludicrous outrage-

quote:

US Army defines Christian ministry as 'domestic hate group'

By Todd Starnes
Published October 14, 2013
FoxNews.com

Several dozen U.S. Army active duty and reserve troops were told last week that the American Family Association, a well-respected Christian ministry, should be classified as a domestic hate group because the group advocates for traditional family values.

The briefing was held at Camp Shelby in Mississippi and listed the AFA alongside domestic hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, the Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam.

A soldier who attended the briefing contacted me and sent me a photograph of a slide show presentation that listed AFA as a domestic hate group. Under the AFA headline is a photograph of Westboro Baptist Church preacher Fred Phelps holding a sign reading “No special law for f***.”

American Family Association has absolutely no affiliation with the controversial church group known for picketing the funerals of American servicemembers.

“I had to show Americans what our soldiers are now being taught,” said the soldier who asked not to be identified. “I couldn’t just let this one pass.”

The soldier said a chaplain interrupted the briefing and challenged the instructor’s assertion that AFA is a hate group.

“The instructor said AFA could be considered a hate group because they don’t like gays,” the soldier told me. “The slide was talking about how AFA refers to gays as sinners and heathens and derogatory terms.”

The soldier, who is an evangelical Christian, said the chaplain defended the Christian ministry.

“He kept asking the instructor, ‘Are you sure about that, son? Are you sure about that?’” he said, recalling the back and forth.

Later in the briefing, the soldiers were reportedly told that they could face punishment for participating in organizations that are considered hate groups.

That considered, the soldier contacted me because he is a financial contributor to the AFA ministry.

“I donate to AFA as often as I can,” he said. “Am I going to be punished? I listen to American Family Radio all day. If they hear it on my radio, will I be faced with a Uniformed Code of Military Justice charge?”

The soldier said he was “completely taken back by this blatant attack not only on the AFA but Christians and our beliefs.”

It’s not the first time the Army has accused conservative Christian groups of being domestic hate groups.

Earlier this year, I exposed Army briefings that classified evangelical Christians and Catholics as examples of religious extremism.

Another briefing told officers to pay close attention to troops who supported groups like AFA and the Family Research Council.

One officer said the two Christian ministries did not “share our Army Values.”

“When we see behaviors that are inconsistent with Army Values – don’t just walk by – do the right thing and address the concern before it becomes a problem,” the officer wrote in an email to his subordinates.

At the time the military assured me those briefings were isolated incidents and did not reflect official Army policy.

If that’s true, how do they explain what happened at Camp Shelby?

I contacted the Pentagon for an answer but they referred me to Army public affairs. And so far – they haven’t returned my calls.

And their claim that the classifications are “isolated” is not washing with AFA.

“The American Family Association has received numerous accounts of military installations as well as law enforcement agencies using a list compiled by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which wrongfully identifies and defames AFA,” reads a statement they sent me.

Bryan Fischer hosts a talk show on American Family Radio. He called the Army’s allegations “libelous, slanderous and blatantly false.”

“This mischaracterization of AFA is reprehensible and inexcusable,” he told me. “We have many military members who are a part of the AFA network who know these accusations are a tissue of lies.”

Fischer said their views on gay marriage and homosexuality are not hate – it’s simply a disagreement.

“If our military wasn’t headed by a commander-in-chief who is hostile to Christian faith, these allegations would be laughed off every military base in the world,” he said.

Hiram Sasser, of the Liberty Institute, told me the Army’s briefing is a smear.

He recalled what President Obama said last year when Muslim extremists attacked our diplomatic outpost in Libya.

“Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths,” President Obama said. “We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.”

Sasser said he wished the president and the Army would treat the American Family Association with the same deference and respect they show those who mean to harm us.

“Why must the Army under this administration continue to attack Americans of faith and smear them?” Sasser wondered.

I fear the answer to that question.

Because it appears the Obama administration is separating the military from the American people – and planting seeds of doubt about Christians and some of our nation’s most prominent Christian ministries.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/14/us-army-defines-christian-ministry-as-domestic-hate-group/?intcmp=latestnews

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 869
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 3:03:41 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Sue them back to the stone age!!!

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terry-jeffrey/dod-bars-50-priests-administering-sacraments-locks-eucharist-priest-sues

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI