Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

failure to connect port 4444

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> failure to connect port 4444 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
failure to connect port 4444 - 11/10/2013 8:27:46 AM   
vonpaul

Hi, i get the error 'Failed to connect to 50.56.225.37 port 4444' when connecting to the private forum.

I also don't seem to be able to host on multiplayer. Does a port need to be forwarded?
Post #: 1
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/10/2013 8:46:16 AM   
vonpaul

not sure if it's related but i cannot post a message in forum without a access violation crash. Cannot play multiplayer either it appears :(

I also bypassed my router but i still get the same error (so it's not a port forward thing)

< Message edited by vonpaul -- 11/10/2013 9:48:31 AM >

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 2
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/10/2013 9:13:00 AM   
vonpaul

tried on my surface pro as well. No joy :(

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 3
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/10/2013 9:20:18 AM   
Zorachus99

Bring your machine back behind your network firewall, and try to turn off the Windows firewall (or AV firewall software). The network appliance is more than enough.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 4
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/10/2013 9:41:22 AM   
vonpaul

thanks this seemed to work but only on the surface when bypassing my router. I can't really play that way.

< Message edited by vonpaul -- 11/10/2013 10:51:53 AM >

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 5
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/10/2013 10:28:35 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonpaul

Hi, i get the error 'Failed to connect to 50.56.225.37 port 4444' when connecting to the private forum.

I also don't seem to be able to host on multiplayer. Does a port need to be forwarded?

I had this type of error as well when netplaying. Got it when restoring a savegame. Our guestimate was that my PC was much faster than my opponent - probably resulting in timing problems. When my opponent's PC was ready on his side I reloaded and did not get this type of message anymore.

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 6
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/12/2013 8:13:35 AM   
vonpaul

well i have tried bypassing my router, firewall & anti-virus and i still get this error! :(

Does anyone know what this error actually means?

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 7
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/12/2013 4:30:36 PM   
jeffk3510

Not an expert, but if you're using a router (I do) you have to do some work with forwarding/opening ports.. something to that matter.

I play EUIV and III with my brother.. I am not smart enough to figure out the ports, so I have to unplug router, and run a cord directly to my computer to play or else we can't connect using IPs as mine would be generic.

Does that make any sense?

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 8
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/12/2013 8:52:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

This appears in at least one instance that I know of. I'm working on fixing that one instance.

If you are playing a NetPlay game, and then decide to restore a different NetPlay game, everything seems to go well, but one of the players will get the message that you reported.

My solution is to trap this situation and display a warning message to the players that you have to exit the program (MWIF) and then restart the program to restore a NetPlay game.

The technical problem is that MWIF uses two of the Matrix servers to start or restore a NetPlay game. The first server supports the NetPlay forum, where players post seeking opponent requests and chat with each other. The second server is used for actually playing the game, with both computers sending and receiving GRLs (Game Record Logs). Being logged into the first server is necessary to restore a saved NetPlay game. But the players are logged into the second server if they had just been playing a NetPlay game. Things gets tricky are that point. Rather than try to work out all the technical issues, I decided to simply ask players to exit and then restart the game. That only takes a few seconds and guarantees that there won't be lingering effects from the previous game.

---

Now this may not be the circumstances under which you see this message. If it appears under other conditions, please let me know what they are so I can better investigate the problem.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 9
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/13/2013 6:11:35 AM   
vonpaul

I see the error everytime I login to the forum from my desktop I.e when starting new game, restoring, just entering without either. Under all circumstances I.e with no router (computer plugged into cable modem), with router, with or without firewall, with or without virus protection.

The only time I have been able to not see this message is from my surface tablet with firewall disabled on a tethered 3G connection.

Are there any logs I can generate to help debug?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 10
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/13/2013 7:10:37 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I see the error everytime I login to the forum from my desktop I.e when starting new game, restoring, just entering without either. Under all circumstances I.e with no router (computer plugged into cable modem), with router, with or without firewall, with or without virus protection.

The only time I have been able to not see this message is from my surface tablet with firewall disabled on a tethered 3G connection.

Are there any logs I can generate to help debug?

This is outside my area of expertise. I'll get someone else at Matrix/Slitherine to look into it.

Steve

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 11
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/13/2013 7:19:53 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

well i have tried bypassing my router, firewall & anti-virus and i still get this error! :(

Does anyone know what this error actually means?

The error message is generate by MWIF (me - I wrote the code). It occurs when MWIF attempts to connect to the given IP address using the given port. The Indy routine that is being used is IdTCPClient.Connect. More than that I do not know. The IP address is to a Slitherine server and the port address is correct for that server.

The other suggestion that was made, that this has to do with security of some sort on your computer system that denies the connection being made, seems the most likely explanation to me.

Steve

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 12
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 11/14/2013 9:19:25 AM   
vonpaul

could my ISP be the trouble? I use Telstra Cable and found this posts - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1200076 http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/952767

To summarise, port is being blocked by ISP because of a Trojan (MS Blaster) which uses it.

Would be a shame if is an ISP level problem as that makes it pretty much unsolvable by me :(

< Message edited by vonpaul -- 11/14/2013 10:35:57 AM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 13
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 12/5/2013 9:14:01 AM   
vonpaul

any chance this is on the radar for a fix, or am i stuffed? ISP is not being very helpful.

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 14
RE: failure to connect port 4444 - 12/5/2013 1:54:15 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

any chance this is on the radar for a fix, or am i stuffed? ISP is not being very helpful.

Typically a request to unblock the port will do it.

I have a few potato clients that want to use port 25 for sending mail, which you can request to be unblocked with ATT.

Try another call and ask to escalate the problem might work.

< Message edited by Zorachus99 -- 12/5/2013 2:55:15 PM >

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to vonpaul)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> failure to connect port 4444 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI