Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

what's wrong?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> what's wrong? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what's wrong? - 1/21/2003 9:41:58 PM   
Flyingcursor

I decided to download the shareware version to see if I like it enough to get the retail.

A couple of questions I have.

1. I sent my scout to another system. It fought the guardian. Now it won't go anywhere. It refuses to move and the clock doesn't tick. The game is not locked because I can give orders to Sol. What am I doing wrong?

2. Is the interface any easier in the retail? It's a bit clunky in the shareware. I am referring to having to use the menus to pick the object you want to order.

3. If I am building a starship does that mean I can't do anything else with my planet like build industry or research?

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
one answered. - 1/21/2003 9:59:31 PM   
Flyingcursor

Question 1 has been answered. Thanks dragoniv.

(in reply to Flyingcursor)
Post #: 2
- 1/21/2003 10:00:11 PM   
dragoniv

1. The system is waiting for you to check the status message. You probably have a message at the top of the screen saying "Scout Whatever gained 2 combat manuevers in combat". It's been a while since I played the shareware game, but I think you can click directly on the message (not sure if it's at the top or bottom of the screen). This happens frequently, so get used to it. :)

2. The interface is much easier in the retail version. There is still room for improvement, but the retail version is (excuse the pun) light-years ahead of the shareware version in interface design.

3. Correct. You can only build OR research, not do both simultaneously.

Post #: 3
Colonize - 1/21/2003 10:19:21 PM   
EricLarsen

Flyingcursor,
As to your point #3, make sure to get into coloizing early on so that you can have multiple worlds. That way you can build stuff with some worlds while the other worlds are researching. Check you world population and make sure the world has the right people doing the right job. When I first colonize a world I crank up engineers to 100% and train them and then set about doing nothing but producing hardware for the new colony. When that's all built then I switch some of the engineers to the other areas, especially scientists. Sometimes I make some worlds heavy on engineers while others are heavy on scientists.
Eric Larsen

Post #: 4
- 1/21/2003 10:26:29 PM   
dragoniv

Define early. :)

I don't colonize until the fusion age--waaaay too important to build two extra scouts and nail down all the wisdom artifacts you can possible obtain in the first age.

By the time the fusion age sets in, I've got 10-20 resource planets and lots of places to start colonies--but by this time, the game is largely won. Most, if not all the computer players are stuck in the atomic or fusion ages, due to the lack of wisdom artifacts. The trick is not getting too involved in battles early on with your competition. Fight them when you're an age or two above them in technology--it's much more fun, and far less costly.

Post #: 5
Why wait? - 1/22/2003 4:25:15 AM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by dragoniv
[B]I don't colonize until the fusion age--waaaay too important to build two extra scouts and nail down all the wisdom artifacts you can possible obtain in the first age.

By the time the fusion age sets in, I've got 10-20 resource planets and lots of places to start colonies--but by this time, the game is largely won. Most, if not all the computer players are stuck in the atomic or fusion ages, due to the lack of wisdom artifacts. The trick is not getting too involved in battles early on with your competition. Fight them when you're an age or two above them in technology--it's much more fun, and far less costly. [/B]

dragoniv,
I actually will start colonizing before I leave the atomic age. I find that getting some good colonies going early really helps for production and research purposes and the earlier I get colonies going the better. I usually wait until I've exhausted the open star systems as getting as many easter eggs in the early easter egg hunt is crucial, but as soon as I've bordered up to my competition and before I get to know them I pull back a scout and pull off 2 components and then start colonizing. I always go with the selection of type 1 or 2 worlds that are huge to see if I've got some good big choices early on that will grow nice and big.

Personally I like mixing it up with the aliens when we're fairly even as there's more challenge to the battles. Since the AI always sends out 1 raiding ship I've gotten quite good at creating 2-ship task forces (1 big & 1 small) to go out and protect my star systems that are being raided by aliens. That way I can evaluate their tech and live to tell about it and reduce their starship numbers. Plus you never know what artifacts they might be carrying around that you can pick up.:p
Eric Larsen
GO RAIDERS!

Post #: 6
have to get it first - 1/22/2003 7:30:13 PM   
Flyingcursor

I played the shareware version last night until my 100 years were up. Too bad since I really hadn't done anything. It's not a very good way to see if you like it or not. If it weren't for the posts here I would think the whole game is nothing but flying a couple of scouts around collecting artifacts.
However, I am relying on the reviews, this forum and my eternal quest to collect all 4X space games.
Now as soon as Babbages gets another copy in I can buy it.

Post #: 7
- 1/22/2003 9:11:53 PM   
dragoniv

yes, 100 years proved to be just enough to whet my appetite, but I had no idea how much more fun the game was until I bought the retail version and played through a full game.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. While I think the game would be better priced at $30, you'll get far more gameplay out of this one than most $50 titles.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> what's wrong? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI