Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Terminology

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Terminology Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terminology - 11/16/2013 11:49:22 PM   
etsadler

This may sound like a small thing, but it has been causing me a lot of frustration. What is it? It is the use of the term Form. I have no idea where that comes from, but I have found it very confusing. To me a Form is something that I fill out, that is it requires input from me. It appears that in the manuals, and game, a Form is what I would call a Window or a Pop-Up or a Box, or just about anything but a Form. Where on earth does that term come from?
Post #: 1
RE: Terminology - 11/17/2013 12:13:34 AM   
icitrom_y

It's a window. In development environments, a "form" is what will appear to you, an end-user, as some type of window. "Form" is not an end-user term and shouldn't be used in such contexts, such as manuals; it's a programming term.

(in reply to etsadler)
Post #: 2
RE: Terminology - 11/17/2013 3:08:38 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: RickInVA

This may sound like a small thing, but it has been causing me a lot of frustration. What is it? It is the use of the term Form. I have no idea where that comes from, but I have found it very confusing. To me a Form is something that I fill out, that is it requires input from me. It appears that in the manuals, and game, a Form is what I would call a Window or a Pop-Up or a Box, or just about anything but a Form. Where on earth does that term come from?

Form is a concept from the programming world. So is Windows. So is Pop-up and Box for that matter.

As referred to in MWIF, a Form is a self contained rectangular section of the screen within which a player sees information and interacts with the program. The simple OK message form is used all over the place in MWIF. There are other simple forms for Yes/No and Yes/No/Cancel decisions.

I don't know of another term that can be used in the place of Form. Windows is a fairly well defined concept popularized by Microsoft and much of the associated elements of that definition don't really apply to a Form.

I apologize if I naively thrust this concept front and center in the documentation, but I don't have anything to replace it with. Its definition can be acquired through use, with some forms being purely informational, and others being used to make decisions.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to etsadler)
Post #: 3
RE: Terminology - 11/17/2013 3:25:00 AM   
Gizuria

I might be wrong so feel free to correct me but I think a more familiar term would be 'screen'. The Production form is the Production screen.

(in reply to etsadler)
Post #: 4
RE: Terminology - 11/18/2013 5:22:48 PM   
Dabrion

"Form", in the sense use in the manuals, is not even standard in programming terms. It depends what SDK you use, there are other terms like "widget", "dialog" , "window" or "wizard" or even "panel" and probably some more. I would second "screen" or "summary panel" as a more intelligible word for the informational forms, and "wizard" for the modal forms that process single game steps.

So in board game terms a MWiF "form" refers to two different things at once.
Firstly there are the informational/administrational boards like production spiral, pilot/oil tracks, DOD political map, etc. These fall in the screen/summary panel category. In MWiF you can open them ad libitum as you could look up the respective information in the board game at any time.
Secondly there are modal (interrupting the program flow until finished) forms that have no physical representation in the board game. They represent the procedural player interaction during game steps in the board game. Like when you settle down with your opponent to have an air combat, you would take the counter off the map and arrange them in columns for fighters and bombers etc. The whole process in also referred to as a "form", although strictly speaking the form/wizard is a vehicle to conduct the game step.

Hope my interpretation helps.

(in reply to Gizuria)
Post #: 5
RE: Terminology - 11/18/2013 5:32:40 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: RickInVA

Form is a concept from the programming world. So is Windows. So is Pop-up and Box for that matter.

As referred to in MWIF, a Form is a self contained rectangular section of the screen within which a player sees information and interacts with the program. The simple OK message form is used all over the place in MWIF. There are other simple forms for Yes/No and Yes/No/Cancel decisions.

I don't know of another term that can be used in the place of Form. Windows is a fairly well defined concept popularized by Microsoft and much of the associated elements of that definition don't really apply to a Form.

I apologize if I naively thrust this concept front and center in the documentation, but I don't have anything to replace it with. Its definition can be acquired through use, with some forms being purely informational, and others being used to make decisions.

Apology not accepted Steve, stop everything your doing right now and change the wording, NOW!

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 11/18/2013 6:33:09 PM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 6
RE: Terminology - 11/18/2013 7:00:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

"Form", in the sense use in the manuals, is not even standard in programming terms. It depends what SDK you use, there are other terms like "widget", "dialog" , "window" or "wizard" or even "panel" and probably some more. I would second "screen" or "summary panel" as a more intelligible word for the informational forms, and "wizard" for the modal forms that process single game steps.

So in board game terms a MWiF "form" refers to two different things at once.
Firstly there are the informational/administrational boards like production spiral, pilot/oil tracks, DOD political map, etc. These fall in the screen/summary panel category. In MWiF you can open them ad libitum as you could look up the respective information in the board game at any time.
Secondly there are modal (interrupting the program flow until finished) forms that have no physical representation in the board game. They represent the procedural player interaction during game steps in the board game. Like when you settle down with your opponent to have an air combat, you would take the counter off the map and arrange them in columns for fighters and bombers etc. The whole process in also referred to as a "form", although strictly speaking the form/wizard is a vehicle to conduct the game step.

Hope my interpretation helps.

Actually, your two groupings correspond to section 8.7.1 and 8.7.2 in the Players Manual. The former is in volume 1 and the latter in volume 2.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Terminology Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI