Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

3 monitor setup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> 3 monitor setup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3 monitor setup - 11/14/2013 12:08:12 AM   
LordFoul

Hi. I've been having problems with my 3-headed display. I run 3 1920x1080 monitors side by side (the outer monitors are tilted in for a kind of wrap-around effect). I use these for either immersion gaming, where I turn the entire thing into a 5760x1080 display or I do development and have a whole virtual computer occupying a display.

Initially I went through and did some setups and some playing around to just get familiar with things after going through a few tutorials. Most of this seemed fine, except for some saved setup / restore issues I ran into - but I want to test that further before I report a defect. I started playing around a little with saving some window locations just to get a feel for things.

The problem I ran into, is I would start a new game and several screens like the main map and the main map control would not be present. I believe they were there - but hidden off screen somewhere. Try as I might - getting rid of the "new game.sly" file in the appropriate directory or copying one in from another scenario didn't seem to help to get the windows back. Finally, I got rid of the file - and disabled my outer monitors and started again. This got me all the windows (and one I hadn't even seen before!) to appear. I suspect you haven't had the chance to test against 3 displays, and I know it's possible to go up to 6 on some exotic setups. My guess is the program was getting confused and dropping some windows off screen.

I think it might be helpful to have some way of making all the windows appear in the lower left corner of the main display or something to help me sort things out when a screen gets hidden. Or a control of some kind that can be never hidden - that allows you to display the list of windows and move them (even from a hidden area). Just some thoughts here.

If you need someone with my particular setup to help test - I'm more than happy to do it. Thanks for your attention.

-David
Post #: 1
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/14/2013 1:12:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordFoul

Hi. I've been having problems with my 3-headed display. I run 3 1920x1080 monitors side by side (the outer monitors are tilted in for a kind of wrap-around effect). I use these for either immersion gaming, where I turn the entire thing into a 5760x1080 display or I do development and have a whole virtual computer occupying a display.

Initially I went through and did some setups and some playing around to just get familiar with things after going through a few tutorials. Most of this seemed fine, except for some saved setup / restore issues I ran into - but I want to test that further before I report a defect. I started playing around a little with saving some window locations just to get a feel for things.

The problem I ran into, is I would start a new game and several screens like the main map and the main map control would not be present. I believe they were there - but hidden off screen somewhere. Try as I might - getting rid of the "new game.sly" file in the appropriate directory or copying one in from another scenario didn't seem to help to get the windows back. Finally, I got rid of the file - and disabled my outer monitors and started again. This got me all the windows (and one I hadn't even seen before!) to appear. I suspect you haven't had the chance to test against 3 displays, and I know it's possible to go up to 6 on some exotic setups. My guess is the program was getting confused and dropping some windows off screen.

I think it might be helpful to have some way of making all the windows appear in the lower left corner of the main display or something to help me sort things out when a screen gets hidden. Or a control of some kind that can be never hidden - that allows you to display the list of windows and move them (even from a hidden area). Just some thoughts here.

If you need someone with my particular setup to help test - I'm more than happy to do it. Thanks for your attention.

-David

The code should support 3 monitors. More than that I am not so sure.

Look at the Players Interface in the Main form's drop down menu. At the bottom is information on the monitors as the program 'sees' them. What might make a difference is which monitor is your primary monitor.

There are some problems with two monitors when they are different sizes. I'll get around to fixing that sometime in the next couple of weeks and then I'll work on the 3 monitor configuration - with your help, thank you for offering.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to LordFoul)
Post #: 2
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/14/2013 4:02:57 AM   
LordFoul

It definitely recognizes the 3 monitors. I saw the main map window flash and disappear when I started another game.

Number of Monitors: 3

Left Right Top Bottom
Left Monitor -1920 0 0 1080
Center Monitor (primary) 0 1920 0 1080
Right Monitor 1920 3840 0 1080

From windows (win 7 pro) perspective my monitors identify as

2 1 3 with 1 as primary.

It seems I can work around this for now by disabling the outer monitors, I'll just proceed that way for now.

Thanks,

David

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/14/2013 5:47:32 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

[
The code should support 3 monitors. More than that I am not so sure.

Look at the Players Interface in the Main form's drop down menu. At the bottom is information on the monitors as the program 'sees' them. What might make a difference is which monitor is your primary monitor.

There are some problems with two monitors when they are different sizes. I'll get around to fixing that sometime in the next couple of weeks and then I'll work on the 3 monitor configuration - with your help, thank you for offering.

With a 24" and a 17" together the only small issue I see is the window to choose which units to load on transporters - whatever I try it is always positioned over the 2 screens. The units to choose from are exactly split over the 2 screens. Not a real problem, but if you are fixing stuff in this area you might want to get this right as well.

Post #: 4
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/14/2013 7:03:15 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

It definitely recognizes the 3 monitors. I saw the main map window flash and disappear when I started another game.

Left Right Top Bottom

2 1 3 with 1 as primary.

It seems I can work around this for now by disabling the outer monitors, I'll just proceed that way for now.

Thanks,

David

When I ran into difficulties I had the main form on Monitor 2 and was set up as 2 1. I wonder if it has something to do with the negative x coordinate. Can you try 1 2 3 ?

Paul

(in reply to LordFoul)
Post #: 5
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/14/2013 4:35:49 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Left Right Top Bottom

2 1 3 with 1 as primary.

Thanks,

David

When I ran into difficulties I had the main form on Monitor 2 and was set up as 2 1. I wonder if it has something to do with the negative x coordinate. Can you try 1 2 3 ?

No negative numbers is always best. That's a general rule in life.

Steve

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 6
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/15/2013 5:43:45 AM   
LordFoul

quote:

I had to re-arrange the cabling to go to a 1 2 3 setup with the primary monitor as number 2 (the center one). The game came back with a similar issue (missing the main map). The player interface settings come back with a similar negative number for the left hand monitor. This leaves me to believe the game is using the primary monitor to set up it's coordinates - hence the left hand display has a negative x value.

I went on to test my theory by changing the primary monitor to 1. A couple of things happened here. First under the player interface settings, everything was as positive value (first monitor starting at 0, and last ending at 5760). Secondly, the main map showed up... barely. It was located in the very far right of the 3rd monitor, but there was enough there to grab it and drag it back. I also want to note all the of the game windows were launched in the 3rd monitors viewing area - rather than the primary display area.

Each time, I have been clearing out the "new game.sly" file and starting a Global War game. I guess my expectation is by default all maps should appear within the bounds of the primary monitor, and if I want to drag them around and save that setup - then so be it.

Anyways, just some more information.

-David

< Message edited by LordFoul -- 11/15/2013 6:44:45 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 7
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/15/2013 7:21:30 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

I had to re-arrange the cabling to go to a 1 2 3 setup with the primary monitor as number 2 (the center one). The game came back with a similar issue (missing the main map). The player interface settings come back with a similar negative number for the left hand monitor. This leaves me to believe the game is using the primary monitor to set up it's coordinates - hence the left hand display has a negative x value.

I went on to test my theory by changing the primary monitor to 1. A couple of things happened here. First under the player interface settings, everything was as positive value (first monitor starting at 0, and last ending at 5760). Secondly, the main map showed up... barely. It was located in the very far right of the 3rd monitor, but there was enough there to grab it and drag it back. I also want to note all the of the game windows were launched in the 3rd monitors viewing area - rather than the primary display area.

Each time, I have been clearing out the "new game.sly" file and starting a Global War game. I guess my expectation is by default all maps should appear within the bounds of the primary monitor, and if I want to drag them around and save that setup - then so be it.

Anyways, just some more information.

-David

Thanks. There seems to be some work for me to do on this.

Steve

(in reply to LordFoul)
Post #: 8
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/15/2013 11:49:43 AM   
oleb

I have the same setup as the OP, and more or less the same problem. After fidling with screen layouts, both main form and detailed map disappeared. Tried all Global war screen layouts but was not able to restore them. After restarting the application and loading savegame I managed to restore the main form, but detailed map is still missing. When I open a new detailed map, its called "#2 Map Window"

Ktarn

Post #: 9
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/15/2013 5:12:54 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ktarn

I have the same setup as the OP, and more or less the same problem. After fidling with screen layouts, both main form and detailed map disappeared. Tried all Global war screen layouts but was not able to restore them. After restarting the application and loading savegame I managed to restore the main form, but detailed map is still missing. When I open a new detailed map, its called "#2 Map Window"

What size are you monitors? If they are different sizes, you will need to put the Main form on the largest monitor.

But using 3 monitors is all new territory for me. My graphics card only supports 2 monitors. Maybe I can reinstall my old graphics card (which I removed a couple of weeks ago) so I can test a 4 monitor setup. Is it as easy as just adding a second graphic card?

Steve

(in reply to oleb)
Post #: 10
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/16/2013 5:12:19 AM   
oleb

quote:

What size are you monitors? If they are different sizes, you will need to put the Main form on the largest monitor.

My 3 monitors are all 1920x1080. I`m using a ATI Radeon HD 5850 graphics card.
Btw. my original description was somewhat lacking. After adjusting layouts and losing both main form and detailed map, I had to reinstall the game to restore them. After reinstalling I have not done any changes to screen layouts, but the detailed map still disappears.

A hotkey to open main form, or move it to cursor would have been welcome.

Ktarn

Post #: 11
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/22/2013 5:30:04 AM   
LordFoul

Just as a FYI - my setup for all intents and purposes is the same. All 3 monitors are 1920x1080 - and I've tested with AMD 5970 and 7970 graphics cards.

(in reply to oleb)
Post #: 12
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/22/2013 7:11:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Btw. my original description was somewhat lacking. After adjusting layouts and losing both main form and detailed map, I had to reinstall the game to restore them. After reinstalling I have not done any changes to screen layouts, but the detailed map still disappears.

I think my design is all right. But the code certainly isn't working the way it should.

Steve

(in reply to oleb)
Post #: 13
RE: 3 monitor setup - 11/30/2013 8:56:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think my design is all right. But the code certainly isn't working the way it should.

There was a typo in the code which was causing the fatal error when using 3 monitors.

Version 1.0.5.0 should fix this. That should be available early next week.

Steve

Post #: 14
RE: 3 monitor setup - 12/4/2013 7:10:57 PM   
oleb

Version 1.0.5.0 did not fix this. When I start a new game the main form is not visible.

Ktarn

Post #: 15
RE: 3 monitor setup - 12/4/2013 8:09:29 PM   
LordFoul

Tried latest also...

I had it work once on a restored save game, but that's it.

I started a brand new game and saw the map flash (at about roughly the right location) before it went away if that helps.

(in reply to oleb)
Post #: 16
RE: 3 monitor setup - 12/10/2013 4:23:36 PM   
oleb

I rearranged my monitors from a 321 setup, to a 123 setup. Now the main form is visible when I start new games :)

Ktarn

(in reply to LordFoul)
Post #: 17
RE: 3 monitor setup - 12/10/2013 5:05:54 PM   
oleb

Addendum: I had to delete the Global war New Game SL.

Ktarn

(in reply to oleb)
Post #: 18
RE: 3 monitor setup - 12/11/2013 1:51:43 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Tried latest also...

I had it work once on a restored save game, but that's it.

I started a brand new game and saw the map flash (at about roughly the right location) before it went away if that helps.

What does the Players Interface Settings form show about your monitors? It's accessible from the Main form drop down menus.

Giving the "New Game.SLY" file a different temporary name might help here. The program should create a new one for you. That will give you a fresh start that you can modify for the 3 monitor setup. I suggest renaming the SLY file to something obvious (e.g., 3Monitor.SLY) once you have it the way you like it. You can then make a copy named New Game.SLY, which will be used for all the new games you start thereafter.

Steve

(in reply to LordFoul)
Post #: 19
RE: 3 monitor setup - 12/11/2013 2:02:41 AM   
oleb

I know you did not ask me, but there is obviously something off with my interface settings. -1920 displayed for all values.

Attachment (1)

Ktarn

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> 3 monitor setup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI