Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What did you do today in World in Flames?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 5:26:46 PM   
WarHunter

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Wow..just wow!!!! You lucky B......

A3 B3 C3 mounted. I'll work on the next 3 maps soon. Here is a long view.

Attachment (1)

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 91
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 6:06:39 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

Today I started a scenario in which all the significant minor countries -- Spain, Turkey, Sweden, Mexico, all of South America except Brazil, etc. -- are Axis-aligned. I'm going to give Italy and Germany all of the naval units in their pools, along with the entire French Fleet, and pull an Invasion America scenario in spring '40. I'll set the weather to clear everywhere just to make certain they get a nice foothold. If it's too unbalanced, I'll give the US a B-36 and a P-80 or something. Then we'll see where things go!

Oh my bad -- that's what I did in CWiF today, not MWiF

You are in the wrong forum for CWiF.

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 92
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 7:21:27 PM   
Ingtar

I have been trying to replay the first part of Global War trying different set ups in China. I have yet to find one that works unless the Japanese have hideous luck of the draw on units.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 93
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 7:47:42 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

I have been trying to replay the first part of Global War trying different set ups in China. I have yet to find one that works unless the Japanese have hideous luck of the draw on units.

Let your Chin Cav div run around behind the Jap lines if possible - will teach the Jap to reserve some units to prevent that

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 94
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 8:01:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

Partisans, Chinese Warlords, and extra Chinese cities make it harder for the Japanese. Partisans especially.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 95
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 8:31:56 PM   
scout1

Bought a 27" monitor .... Now I can finally see the BIG (or bigger picture).....

Does WiF support 2x monitors ? perhaps I can keep my 20" monitor and drag select windows/forms over to it ... ?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 96
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 8:41:05 PM   
captskillet

yes, I use my 17" laptop for map and 24" for all other forms.

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 97
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 8:42:32 PM   
paulderynck

It supports both 2 and 3 monitor configurations. Since it's done using Extended Desktop, it is not an MWiF limitation but is only limited by your hardware - FREX if using a laptop, you likely are limited to 2 screens.

Paul

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 98
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 8:57:01 PM   
Igbe

Purchased the game.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 99
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 9:07:55 PM   
tdpyle

You must be using the debug version of CWIF. I always got in trouble screwing around with wild variants of it. Usually resulted in a crash. ADG put out a cleaned up non-debug version for, as I recall, $5.00. Download only (no shipping).It actually is pretty stable since you can't introduce weird variations which confound the RAW.
quote:

Today I started a scenario in which all the significant minor countries -- Spain, Turkey, Sweden, Mexico, all of South America except Brazil, etc. -- are Axis-aligned. I'm going to give Italy and Germany all of the naval units in their pools, along with the entire French Fleet, and pull an Invasion America scenario in spring '40. I'll set the weather to clear everywhere just to make certain they get a nice foothold. If it's too unbalanced, I'll give the US a B-36 and a P-80 or something. Then we'll see where things go!

Post #: 100
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 10:33:12 PM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tdpyle

You must be using the debug version of CWIF. I always got in trouble screwing around with wild variants of it. Usually resulted in a crash. ADG put out a cleaned up non-debug version for, as I recall, $5.00. Download only (no shipping).It actually is pretty stable since you can't introduce weird variations which confound the RAW.
quote:

After almost 10 years of playing it I'm pretty familiar with what crashes CWiF. Got a new one last week for the first time in a while when I tried to sealift a UK DIV from Cyprus and it locked up -- but that's what saving regularly is for.

Debug is the entire point of it, why would you pay to have it removed?

(in reply to tdpyle)
Post #: 101
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 10:34:22 PM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

quote:

warspite1

No problem CD, I'm sure no one will begrudge you posting about CWIF on here - why not do an AAR on that scenario?

I might do that. But I'm not all fancy with a computer like you kids these days, I don't know how to post pics :(

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 102
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 10:40:22 PM   
ezzler

Land combat - Blitzkreig.

Post #: 103
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 11:24:57 PM   
WarHunter

MWiF Map art close to completion. 3 sections left.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 104
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 11:27:48 PM   
WarHunter

Going East to China, Japan and a little Australia.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 105
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 11:32:09 PM   
Zorachus99

Oh my god, my eyes are full of hexes!!!

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 106
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 11:44:09 PM   
shaddock

Yep much nicer than my garage floor attempt. And he doesn't have to worry about it getting driven upon :)

save the carrots; eat a vegan!

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 107
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/27/2013 11:58:42 PM   
Zorachus99

I'm curious if anyone will end up trying to play the game with the physical maps.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to shaddock)
Post #: 108
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/28/2013 1:23:29 AM   
Ingtar

That might be the problem, I never cared for using partisans. Perhaps I should turn them on and try again.

Post #: 109
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/28/2013 1:23:49 AM   
WarHunter

Operation MWiF Map Mount is complete. Total of 14 panels on 2 walls. Europe to Asia, Africa India and Australia on 1 wall, (9panels). North America and most of South America on the other(5 panels).

After paying for the computer game, reading the books, it just seemed a shame to never see the maps in all their glory.

Granted its not all of them, but its enough for me. As an old time AH boardgamer, its nice to work with a hex map and show it off to friends.

Back to learning MWiF so when we meet on the virtual battlefield, i won't be trying to figure out how to load transports on the fly. I'll use the fly-out.

Thanks for the comments.

Attachment (1)

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 110
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/28/2013 5:59:13 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

No problem CD, I'm sure no one will begrudge you posting about CWIF on here - why not do an AAR on that scenario?

I might do that. But I'm not all fancy with a computer like you kids these days, I don't know how to post pics :(

Now, you are welcome to open a topic for CWIF on the ADG forums... This is MWIF.

If you've bought MWIF, you are of course allowed to open a topic to make a review comparing the two...

But I'm getting the impression that you aren't prepared to fight me in a netplay game of MWIF...

I call that: "total cowardice in the face on the enemy"... Prepared to be shot:

Peter

Post #: 111
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/29/2013 11:48:28 AM   
Extraneous

Added trade agreements to Aliances with minor countries in "The War Room".

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 112
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/29/2013 6:46:32 PM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I'll be waiting for my books to arrive before diving too deep.  WiF is definitely not something you casually plunge into.  I've never played the board game, though I had been interested in it for some time.

I'm a long time WITP-AE player, being with the system back to the Uncommon Valor days.  While huge, the basic concepts arent a whole lot different that UV.

This is something else entirely, so I'm treading softly.

Ed-

This is me too, except I haven't ordered yet. Just realized today the WiF was finally finished!!

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 113
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/30/2013 12:02:42 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Operation MWiF Map Mount is complete. Total of 14 panels on 2 walls. Europe to Asia, Africa India and Australia on 1 wall, (9panels). North America and most of South America on the other(5 panels).

After paying for the computer game, reading the books, it just seemed a shame to never see the maps in all their glory.

Granted its not all of them, but its enough for me. As an old time AH boardgamer, its nice to work with a hex map and show it off to friends.

Back to learning MWiF so when we meet on the virtual battlefield, i won't be trying to figure out how to load transports on the fly. I'll use the fly-out.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for posting - that's quiet a sight to see the maps mounted!

Rick

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 114
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/30/2013 12:15:03 AM   
ezzler

Now you know CrussDaddy can't play you at MWIF. Why that MWIF game will never ever be released and all of you who think one day it will... why you fools is just Dooo Luding yerselves.

That game ain't not ever no way be finished any time never. And even if it was -- why, no-one would spring more 'am $5 dollar for it..see-in as it would be so buggy and just a weak copy of CWIF in a fancy CD case anyhow!.

That MWIF is just vapour ware and you all knows it!

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 115
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/30/2013 8:44:12 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Now you know CrussDaddy can't play you at MWIF. Why that MWIF game will never ever be released and all of you who think one day it will... why you fools is just Dooo Luding yerselves.

That game ain't not ever no way be finished any time never. And even if it was -- why, no-one would spring more 'am $5 dollar for it..see-in as it would be so buggy and just a weak copy of CWIF in a fancy CD case anyhow!.

Crussdaddy might need some serious help instead of us reacting on his severe trolling in the past.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 116
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/30/2013 12:40:14 PM   
npilgaard

Have played a fair number of WiF boad games, but have never seen a '40 Barbarossa (we usually play the game to the end ('45) - with the unwritten house rule that the Axis players don't decide to end the game early if things go against them - the Allies are allowed to get their fun too :) - so the '40 Barbarossa has always been deemed to risky).

So now I am giving it a try - so far everything goes very well for the Germans (Poland conquered Sep/Oct and Yugoslavia in Nov/Dec (fine weather in first impulse), and the panzer units and HQ etc. have been railed to Rumania, ready for the DoW...

Regards
Nikolaj

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 117
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/30/2013 5:21:38 PM   
WarHunter

Do you plan to have Japan help in the far east? Is Italy an active Ally?

Long ago when HQ's were frozen during mud impulses, and could be loaded on ATR's, our group tried a !940 Barbarossa. The hardest part as i remember it, was holding the allies back. That was also before many of the options open to players. Once the Allies decide to invade the Low counties, it really stretches the axis land line defense.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to npilgaard)
Post #: 118
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/30/2013 8:48:25 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Crussdaddy might need some serious help instead of us reacting on his severe trolling in the past.

I'm almost 100% sure, he's here with an alt account.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 119
RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? - 11/30/2013 10:30:44 PM   
npilgaard

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Do you plan to have Japan help in the far east? Is Italy an active Ally?

Long ago when HQ's were frozen during mud impulses, and could be loaded on ATR's, our group tried a !940 Barbarossa. The hardest part as i remember it, was holding the allies back. That was also before many of the options open to players. Once the Allies decide to invade the Low counties, it really stretches the axis land line defense.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Yes, Japan attacked right away (in a non-solitaire game the Allies probably won't expect a '40 Barbarossa, so a few Russian units might be lured to Siberia to battle the Japanese :) Main objective is to cut the rail line (if lucky prevent Zhukov from railing back to Europe) - the Japanese can se up two units in mountains next to the rail line, exerting ZoC.

Italy attacked late '39, moving a unit or two into France in order to lengthen the (stalemate due to the mountains) front and bind more French units.
So pretty much an all-in strategy - the Italians won't be able to hold against the Western Allies if they concentrate on Italy, so it is a race against time :)

France/CW attacks Belgium (and Germany) in the spring, as soon as the weather permits.

Germans DoW'ed Russia 1. impulse in '40 (to use first turn to reach river line etc.), and I played a few turns. However, the Russian reserves and the MIL the turn after make for a lot of speed bumps and hero cities that the Germans have to chew through, slowing their advance, especially in bad weather, and preventing any real breakthrough. Also I forgot to use Offensive Chit... :)

So I will now give it a second try (starting over from Jan/Feb '40), this time deploying heavily in the South, pretty much only screening in the North (German don't have many units available - Western Front needs to be uphold as well - and the extra INF is needed in the South to take care of the cities while the panzer advances), and waiting with the DoW until fine weather (hopefully in Mar/Apr) - it will slow Things Down a turn or two, but it is very important to gain a lot of ground during the first turn, while the reserves are face down and the MILs haven't arrived yet (hmm - forgot that the MILs can actually be built already the to Japan's DoW - perhaps better to let Japan wait as well then... :) )

Regards
Nikolaj

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What did you do today in World in Flames? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI