Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beginners Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Beginners Guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginners Guide - 1/20/2003 10:34:10 AM   
MikeRutemeyer

After having purchased the game, I was somewhat at a loss when I realized there was not a tutorial included. After several games with much trial and error, I decided to write something like a tutorial for those joining the newbie ranks. Hopefully, it will ease the transition into the game.

For those desiring a copy, please email a request. It is in rich text format.
Post #: 1
Slap a copy here - 1/20/2003 11:03:03 PM   
EricLarsen

Mike,
Instead of telling players you've made a beginner's primer for SUDG just slap a copy up here so they can read it and if they want they can also print it. It would also save you the hassle of having to respond to every request. Good idea to make one as the game looks easier than it really is to play.
Eric Larsen

(in reply to MikeRutemeyer)
Post #: 2
- 1/22/2003 1:06:22 PM   
Maxfreeboard

EricLarsen: I guess MikeRutemeyer didn't agree.

Post #: 3
Response... - 1/22/2003 9:17:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

Mike,

I agree, you should post it up here as a zipped file so that you don't have to deal with requests.

I look forward to seeing it.

Do you have the 2.0 version with the printed Player's Guide as well as the PDF manual or the 1.0 version with the PDF manual? Have you been using the tips in the game? To my mind, those are essentially an in-game tutorial for the first time you play.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 4
- 1/23/2003 6:29:20 AM   
MikeRutemeyer

Erik: I agree about your tips; however, I meant this Guide to be for newbies who have seldom, if ever, played a strategy game with depth. I had no problems acclimating to the game; however, I have had years of practice dating back to the 60's when we were still relying on board games. I have expanded on some of your tips and added new ones.

I have no problem with submitting a copy; however, my word processor seems to have a mind of its own about text documents (.rtf); and the software I use can't do zip files.

As for future patches, two possible suggestions for your consideration:
(1) Automate the spy routine so that you have to only give an instruction (e.g. steal money - my favorite) once until rescinded or success/failure occurs;
(2) Provide the option of taking out the game disk so that players can listen to their favorite music while playing the game.

I do have the 2.0 version - lots probably don't.

Post #: 5
- 1/23/2003 10:56:53 AM   
Maxfreeboard

MikeRutemeyer

Unless you included screen captures I can't I imagine that the file is all that big.
Go ahead and post it. If can be converted to other text formats by the other readers here.

Post #: 6
- 1/24/2003 10:07:48 AM   
zaz

If you can run the game, you can run WinZip or any one of a hundred free or shareware compression programs.

Best windows compression program I've ever used (IMHO) [URL=http://www.powerarchiver.com/]Power Archiver[/URL]

Post #: 7
Guides can be helpful - 1/24/2003 11:00:37 PM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by MikeRutemeyer
[B]Erik: I agree about your tips; however, I meant this Guide to be for newbies who have seldom, if ever, played a strategy game with depth. I had no problems acclimating to the game; however, I have had years of practice dating back to the 60's when we were still relying on board games.

(1) Automate the spy routine so that you have to only give an instruction (e.g. steal money - my favorite) once until rescinded or success/failure occurs;
(2) Provide the option of taking out the game disk so that players can listen to their favorite music while playing the game.

I do have the 2.0 version - lots probably don't. [/B]

Mike,
Strategy Guides can be very useful, but I'd never pay for one. I remember the last time I bought a rendition of SSI's general series and had to buy the guide to know what to do to achieve the victory results as the manual was bereft of that vital info. After that I said the heck with the general series if you had to buy a strategy guide to tell you what the manual should have told you regarding the victory conditions and what to do to achieve them.

I wrote my little spiel for a wargamer friend who had relied upon my advice to purchase the game so I felt obligated to send him some help when he had a few questions on getting started. I had just done it in my Windows Explorer e-mail and then just copied and pasted it into the forum post editor and did a little editing. Since it was already done I figured might as well let others benefit from my experiences in SUDG.

Hope you're able to get a copy up here on the forum where everyone can peruse it at their leisure and if they want they can even print it out from here on the forum.

I agree the spy auotmation could be made better at giving 100% coverage on all alien worlds but I actually enjoy the spy game wathcing for when their security goes lax and then checking the diplomacy screen to see who's got money to steal and then having your spies steal money, or wisdom artifacts, or espionage, or one of my favorites regular old sabotage. Then after a mission I like to go back in and see their security get all jacked up. I like manual spy control as it's so much fun to play the spy game and outwit the aliens at it.
Eric Larsen

Post #: 8
RE: Guides can be helpful - 5/3/2005 12:51:48 AM   
Droluk

I just got this game and am feeling somewhat bewildered by the lack of a tutorial. I noticed this old post. The link does not work; the email address is defunct. If anyone still happens to read these forums, do you know of a way to get this or another tutorial for the game?
Thanks for any replies and help!

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 9
RE: Guides can be helpful - 5/3/2005 5:18:06 AM   
elcidce

try apezone.com

The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991

(in reply to Droluk)
Post #: 10
RE: Guides can be helpful - 5/3/2005 6:12:44 PM   
Rainbow7

Which version of the game did you buy? The Matrix Divided Galaxies version? or the ApeZone version 3? While there's no tutorial per se, a little trial and error and an occassional perusal of the pdf manual can go a long way. If you don't find a beginner's guide, then post your questions here or over at the apezone.com forums.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to elcidce)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Beginners Guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI