Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:22:31 AM   
moore4807

Larry,

I changed over two training groups and got decent skippers in them.

Manila is just a mess and I'm Sir Robin-ing everybody to Manila and started building forts there... decent supply there but getting hammered every day.
I looked at the USA HI/LI and resources and it looks like you fixed everything already... I didn't see any changes to make for them.

I would rethink about shutting down EVERY Chinese base, some of the northern bases can still make some supply because the resources come from Mongolia and surrounds. Unless John goes for all of China, it won't make a difference if those fail, but can help a ton to slowly build up some troops there.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 151
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:26:30 AM   
DOCUP

What were the air loses for the Japs on day 2? How do the ships look at PH?

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 152
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:26:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm glad the turn is back w/ John3rd. I'm running out of things to post about the game. Just kidding. I'm going to try to give our readers
the full enchalada as far as info is concerned. No detail is too small. Well......up to a point.

Here's the situation around Davao. John is moving south of the Celebes too. He's headed for Darwin I guess. D'oh. I've got ships
headed there. I'll have to divert them when I get the turn back.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 153
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:31:25 AM   
DOCUP

Do you have a few DBs around northern Oz? Might be able to fly them to Ambon and get a few shots at some ships.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 154
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:33:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807
I would rethink about shutting down EVERY Chinese base, some of the northern bases can still make some supply because the resources come from Mongolia and surrounds. Unless John goes for all of China, it won't make a difference if those fail, but can help a ton to slowly build up some troops there.

I didn't shut off the production of the factories.....just the repair of the damaged factories. It would cost a small fortune to repair one of
those factories and besides I'd rather repair the Resource Centers and Manpower Centers and so on. To get the flow bigger before
we spend that flow on something. I can see repairing the LI and HI if that's what you mean. Those bad boys put out supplies and we
need that. I'll take a look around to see what I need to change yet.

I hope you don't mind that I turned on the stockpiling on several bases there on the West Coast. I didn't know for sure that you were
going to take a look at that for a while. I was going to explain what I did to keep you in the loop but then forgot about doing it.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 155
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:34:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP
What were the air loses for the Japs on day 2? How do the ships look at PH?

Here's the air losses for the latest report. I'll post something about the ships at PH in a later post.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 156
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:35:54 AM   
DOCUP

Not bad on the air loses.

Post #: 157
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:37:22 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a list of the broken ships at Pearl. I have sorted the list in descending order of the number of days they will be under repair.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 158
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:39:47 AM   
DOCUP

That was a hell of a raid on PH. Shipyards will be busy for a long time.

Post #: 159
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:43:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Do you have a few DBs around northern Oz? Might be able to fly them to Ambon and get a few shots at some ships.

I found four squadrons of Hudsons in the Northern Oz area that might possibly be able to make their way to the Celebes or
somewhere to get a shot off at the Jap TF's headed their way. The Japs will be at Darwin in another day or two then moving
the planes will be moot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 160
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:51:14 AM   
DOCUP

What about CLV that started around Darwin. Some of those Dutch flying boats carry a 300kg bomb put them on lowNav

Post #: 161
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 12:57:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

Jim wanted me to rethink the turning off the repair of the HI and LI and so on at all the bases in China. Um....here's why:
The HI in China consists of two cities and they have Resource Centers in them that I would rather get repaired first before
we start the repair of the HI factories. As soon as the Resource Centers in them are repaired I'll set the engineers on the
HI factories.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 162
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:01:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

I turned on the repair of the LI at three Chinese bases because I figure spending some now will enable more later in terms of supply.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 163
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:06:07 AM   
moore4807

quote:

That was a hell of a raid on PH. Shipyards will be busy for a long time.

Yeah, Thats what I was referring to since RA 6.0+ I'm not complaining, the Japs got ripped off quite a few times by weak initial attacks, so its fair dinkum... As you said above, So True, so true...

Larry, HOW do you get the screens (ex. Pearl Harbor shipyard) back up after you do the turn? I tried it and the player 1 password request came up on my screen - so all I can get is a replay of the #01 slot.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 164
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:06:09 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

What about CLV that started around Darwin. Some of those Dutch flying boats carry a 300kg bomb put them on lowNav

Yeah, the CVL Charlotte has 8 SBD Dauntless planes aboard but I'll have to wait until I get the moves back from John
before I can sortie the Air Combat Group from Darwin. John has Jap TF's headed toward Darwin anyway. I hope to be
able to get a shot in before too long.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 165
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:08:39 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry, HOW do you get the screens (ex. Pearl Harbor shipyard) back up after you do the turn? I tried it and the player 1 password request came up on my screen - so all I can get is a replay of the #01 slot.

Um......when the #11 file comes to me I usually make a copy of it ( save the game ) in #21 so I have a working copy. The password is
enforced on the copy but the password changes for the #11 when you do the end turn. So the moves are looking for the next player
instead of you. So you have to use your copy of the file to look at stuff after you've sent the #11 to John.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/11/2013 2:09:50 AM >

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 166
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:08:42 AM   
DOCUP

I would detach the air group and not risk those ships.

Post #: 167
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:11:16 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I would detach the air group and not risk those ships.

I think you mean park the planes on the beach at Darwin and skedaddle south w/ the ships. Good idea. Again, though, I'll have
to wait for the moves to make the change.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 168
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:12:22 AM   
DOCUP

At Darwin or Ambon just north of Darwin or another base with enough supply for them to fly combat missions from.

Post #: 169
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:12:40 AM   
moore4807

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Jim wanted me to rethink the turning off the repair of the HI and LI and so on at all the bases in China. Um....here's why:
The HI in China consists of two cities and they have Resource Centers in them that I would rather get repaired first before
we start the repair of the HI factories. As soon as the Resource Centers in them are repaired I'll set the engineers on the
HI factories.

Larry,

Look at Changsha, see there's no red number where the resources column is? The available resources are greater than the LI/HI requirements, so it will produce supply and as long as both parts are repairing, then the resources will stay above the requirements. I think you are taking the "letter of the law" too literally... The places to shut down are the ones we're gonna lose (no sense helping John3rd) and those that are in the red to a signifigant degree. Do you follow my thinking or am I messed up?

Post #: 170
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:19:34 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry,

Look at Changsha, see there's no red number where the resources column is? The available resources are greater than the LI/HI requirements, so it will produce supply and as long as both parts are repairing, then the resources will stay above the requirements. I think you are taking the "letter of the law" too literally...The places to shut down are the ones we're gonna lose (no sense helping John3rd) and those that are in the red to a signifigant degree. Do you follow my thinking or am I messed up?

Um........You used the phrase shut down again. I'm thinking you think the Allies can turn off production and I tried that and it's no joy.
The Allied side shouldn't have to shut down production or output of the factories. I wouldn't want to at any rate.

What I'm advocating turning off is the REPAIR of the factories. I thought that if I turned off the repair of the factories that the Resource
Center would be repaired faster is what I'm thinking. If the repair of BOTH can be done at the same time then yeah, let's keep 'em
turned on. So I guess the question is: IS the repair of the Resource Center accellerated by turning off the repair of the LI factory
in that hex? What do you think dude?

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/11/2013 2:20:53 AM >

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 171
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:21:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

At Darwin or Ambon just north of Darwin or another base with enough supply for them to fly combat missions from.

Sounds good to me. It'll have to be Darwin unless I can russle up some Air Field Support for those planes.

EDIT: I took a better look around and indeed found Ambon to be adequate for our needs. I dumped the SBD's
at Darwin and will move them north next time I get to do my moves.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/11/2013 2:26:36 AM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 172
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:22:42 AM   
ny59giants

I'm the person responsible for about 50% of American industry being disabled. You should be able to get it all repaired, except for the few large factories that may take some months. Most will be repaired in three months. You don't have enough ships in USA to move much supply out of the country yet. I disabled more from my version to yours, but places like San Fran and LA should have surplus in less than one week.

For bases needing major repairs of industry, I increase by 10k and the small ones by 5k. On Jan 1st, '42 you should be able to decrease that amount at many of the bases.

At Pearl, I would focus on all but BBs for repairs and use the shipyard for them first.

Those A-24 Banshee at Darwin can do damage to transports, but their experience levels is too low for hitting warships. If you read John's ARR that was for his last game vs Capt Sherwood, he set up some some LRCAp traps to get at them. I would consider sending those old Vindicators from CV Lexington to Australia and beyond. Hit and run attacks from AF2 should keep John somewhat honest.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 173
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:35:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
At Pearl, I would focus on all but BBs for repairs and use the shipyard for them first.

I think Jim explained it to me once a long time ago now that he wanted to repair those ships that needed the fewest days in the shipyard
in order to get them back on the blue water. I'm not sure but I think maybe he's going to try to ship out those long-turn shipyard boats
to the West Coast since they will be out of action so long. No sense clogging up the Shipyards at Pearl if you don't have to.

quote:

Those A-24 Banshee at Darwin can do damage to transports, but their experience levels is too low for hitting warships. If you read John's ARR that was for his last game vs Capt Sherwood, he set up some some LRCAp traps to get at them. I would consider sending those old Vindicators from CV Lexington to Australia and beyond. Hit and run attacks from AF2 should keep John somewhat honest.

The Vindicators from Lexington belong to Jim and we have a strict "seldom mixing" rule where he runs his stuff and I run my stuff and
seldom does the two domains mix. It's what we've determined might work out when two people are both doing moves for one of the
sides of a game. If there's a special exception ( which is what this seems to me ) then Jim and I will have to mutually agree to
transfer ownership of the units beforehand. I usually filter out the USN ships and the USN / USARMY planes from my display when
I'm determining what changes I need make since I'm in charge of the non-American Allied stuff.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 174
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:46:30 AM   
moore4807

quote:

quote:

Larry,

Look at Changsha, see there's no red number where the resources column is? The available resources are greater than the LI/HI requirements, so it will produce supply and as long as both parts are repairing, then the resources will stay above the requirements. I think you are taking the "letter of the law" too literally...The places to shut down are the ones we're gonna lose (no sense helping John3rd) and those that are in the red to a signifigant degree. Do you follow my thinking or am I messed up?

Um........You used the phrase shut down again. I'm thinking you think the Allies can turn off production and I tried that and it's no joy.
The Allied side shouldn't have to shut down production or output of the factories. I wouldn't want to at any rate.

What I'm advocating turning off is the REPAIR of the factories. I thought that if I turned off the repair of the factories that the Resource
Center would be repaired faster is what I'm thinking. If the repair of BOTH can be done at the same time then yeah, let's keep 'em
turned on. So I guess the question is: IS the repair of the Resource Center accellerated by turning off the repair of the LI factory
in that hex? What do you think dude?

Turning off/shutting down, your right I'm intermingling the terms, Sorry What I mean is the factories/refineries that need repair (Miri,Balikpapan etc.) should be left off/shut down so we don't help John3rd with HIS repairs

If I remember it right they said a page back or so - it doesnt require engineers to repair factories (of any type), Engineers DO repair ports and AF's so by my thinking its simply divided by the requirements of the base - 1/3 for 3 factories, 1/2 for 2 factories, for repair (points). The Allies will eventually overwhelm the Japanese with output... but every one helps along the way...IMHO

Post #: 175
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:50:49 AM   
moore4807

quote:

I'm the person responsible for about 50% of American industry being disabled. You should be able to get it all repaired, except for the few large factories that may take some months. Most will be repaired in three months. You don't have enough ships in USA to move much supply out of the country yet. I disabled more from my version to yours, but places like San Fran and LA should have surplus in less than one week.

For bases needing major repairs of industry, I increase by 10k and the small ones by 5k. On Jan 1st, '42 you should be able to decrease that amount at many of the bases.

Your quoting supply increases for the bases that need repair right?

Good point about the A-24's I have to give Larry control of those planes too...

There are VERY few torpedo bombers lying around right now, even the Vindicators have some value right now, until the other TB versions start appearing.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 176
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 1:54:53 AM   
moore4807

quote:

The Vindicators from Lexington belong to Jim and we have a strict "seldom mixing" rule where he runs his stuff and I run my stuff and
seldom does the two domains mix. It's what we've determined might work out when two people are both doing moves for one of the
sides of a game. If there's a special exception ( which is what this seems to me ) then Jim and I will have to mutually agree to
transfer ownership of the units beforehand. I usually filter out the USN ships and the USN / USARMY planes from my display when
I'm determining what changes I need make since I'm in charge of the non-American Allied stuff.

The only reason for that was to keep us from over doing each others commands, also to simulate the "This is my turf" battles inherent in the nationalities commands during the war. I have no problem transferring the groups, just it costs PP's to do that, which will keep us honest about too much cross pollution and who's giving orders to whom....

As ofd this point I transferred the PBY'4's from Phillipines to Columbo, we still have some detachments floating around, so the command change can occur once they are married up with the fragments. The A-24's are free to become Commonwealth/Aussie command, we just have to pay the PP's to switch.

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 12/11/2013 2:57:35 AM >

Post #: 177
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 2:04:25 AM   
moore4807

Today's Allied morale booster...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 12/11/2013 3:05:20 AM >

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 178
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 2:18:24 AM   
moore4807

quote:

quote:

Yeah, the CVL Charlotte has 8 SBD Dauntless planes aboard but I'll have to wait until I get the moves back from John
before I can sortie the Air Combat Group from Darwin. John has Jap TF's headed toward Darwin anyway. I hope to be
able to get a shot in before too long.

Larry,

Did you cancel CVL Charlotte's TF orders? I had the TF headed to Pago Pago via Brisbane on turn #1... I forgot to check them this turn...

On second thought I might have done it in the 6.3 practice turns - Sorry and Disregard the previous! Brain fart!!!!

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 12/11/2013 3:26:43 AM >

Post #: 179
RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 - 12/11/2013 3:59:34 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Jim: You might be thinking of your RA 6.3 game. In THIS game the Charlotte's TF is swinging at anchor in Darwin's port.
I shipped the moves to you before I changed it so the intent is there I just need the moves file back from John to make it be.

I'm planning on flying the planes to the beach somewhere ( probably Ambon ) and fleeing w/ the ships via Horne Island. But
I'm willing to be talked into something if you can convince me it's better than the plan I have.

EDIT: What am I talking about? The Charlotte is YOUR responsibility, it's USN equipment after all. Disreguard what I had
planned and take over full control of her sir.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/11/2013 5:02:04 AM >

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Command Decisions: Yeomen vs. Samurai RA 6.4 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI