Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Artillery problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery problems - 12/14/2013 8:29:47 PM   
ipe

I tested a coastal artillery situation with 155mm artillery battery and forward observers with mk1 eyeball and binoculars. Detection ranges to containership and RHIB targets were way too short (4 and 2 nm). Also i was able to determinate distance to targets too accurately. Then i fired to targets with my 155mm battery and all round were impacting 0-200 m from target even when i was manouvring (they werent flying on ballistic trajectories). On one instance i changed RHIB course 90 degrees after fist burst and travelled 600m before rounds impacting and they still came to 30-179m distance of target

Artillery not being ballistic
Detection ranges to ships too short
Mk1 eyeball distance measurement too accurate

Tested it with 155mm T-155 Firtina self propelled howitzer and rounds were those base bleed rounds
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery problems - 1/6/2014 6:22:03 PM   
Dimitris

Unguided weapons "stick" to their targets in order to discourage precisely this kind of micromanaging one's way out of enemy fire. If you've played the Mech-Commander series you've probably observed the same thing and it's for the very same reason.

Logged the rest of the items. Thanks!

(in reply to ipe)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery problems - 1/7/2014 7:21:11 PM   
ComDev

Have assigned this one to me. Would be great if you could upload a save. Thanks!

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery problems - 1/7/2014 11:00:11 PM   
AndrewJ

quote:

Unguided weapons "stick" to their targets in order to discourage precisely this kind of micromanaging one's way out of enemy fire.

But wouldn't this remove one of the very real tactical limitations of long-range gunfire?

At one time there was a naval tactic of "chasing splashes", where ships would maneuver towards the last set of shell splashes on the theory that by continuously altering course in this way they would be able to foil any aim corrections the shooter had made since his last shot. By the time the next shot arrived, the ship would have dodged to a place that wasn't being aimed at.

So long as the ships turn at a realistic pace (I think you've done that?), and the shells travel at a realistic speed (this too, I think?), then wouldn't it be more realistic to have pure ballistic flightpaths without any stickiness?

After all, a nimble fast moving ship can be a very difficult gunnery target.

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 4
RE: Artillery problems - 1/9/2014 5:43:36 AM   
Dimitris

Yes, and the gunnery model reflects that (and other parameters, such as the fire control director type & quality and if such a director is present or not).

There is a very delicate balance to be kept between details and gameplay. If players feel it is possible & necessary to steer their ships on a micro level (to avoid unguided weapons) then the whole point of tactical/operational command goes out of the window.

Have you been watching the air-combat threads, where some people are posting things like "I shot down the entire enemy air force by micromanaging my BVR duels"? This is what we want to avoid/minimize.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Artillery problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI