Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wild Sheep Chase Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/17/2013 2:55:03 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

HI supply never drops below 1.25M and after Feb 42 is always rising. HI pools start to rise in about March 42 and by July I'm banking about 1800/day.

There's my blueprint. Totally stolen from Mike Solli +4 years ago. I've tweaked it a bit, but not much.

How much supply do you have stockpiled in Japan by the end of 42 under these conditions Pax? I'm curious to compare the numbers. For interests sake I'm at Nov. 25/42 and I have 1.4 million HI banked (increasing roughly 4k/day) and 1.5 million supply (increasing 5-12k/day) in Japan.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 12/17/2013 3:58:30 PM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2701
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/17/2013 2:58:32 PM   
obvert

Cool. Thanks for going through all of that. I'll have to go home and look through my second game to see how much I can still implement. That one is pretty much sit and wait for the Allies to invade, so I feel I'd have a better chance to save up the supply and the HI both.

So it looks like you'd be making 5000+ fighter/bomber airframes for 42. How many other airframes do you make? The Japanese reportedly made 8,861 total in 42.

My initial set-up was only 60 Oscars and 91 A6M2 and Mike (!!) actually suggested I bump up with more of each!

So initially I made I think 110 A6M2 and added another 30 Oscars after finishing with the Lily production top-off to make 90. So 200/month until 8/42 when the Tojo arrived with a few added Rufes and A6M3 just before that. So by 6/42 I was making 315 F/FB, and 60 Tojos were added after that, (bumped up again later).

I think I made around ~3600 F/FB for 42. I think I made around ~2700 1E and 2E bombers for 42. So ~6300 for the year.

Add to that the patrol, FP, recon and transports and it's another ~1900.

Total airframes for 42 would then be ~8200.

Compared to the Japanese total above things were fairly conservative at that point.

The place where mine got more extreme is the R n D. I was/am using this game as a way to learn the system, see what eat airframe can do, see what happens in each period of the game according to those choices. I could have R n Ded fewer planes, the ones I did a bit less, and still gotten here. That might have saved some supply, but not enough to make up for what has been destroyed.

So far I've lost around 2901 HI factories and 2692 LI factories. (Might be a bit more now, this is from a recent list I posted).

That should be 174,060 supply a month from HI (assuming fuel) and 80,760 supply a month of LI production. Some of that started burning up in 5/44.

So around 250,000 supply production lost each month up until now when the fuel would have run out anyway. Most of that was destroyed by January 45.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2702
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 1:29:48 AM   
PaxMondo

Ach, lost a long reply and too tired to do it again.

Short version: I forgot to add in the I build out a lot of older models until the engine pool are gone (Nate, Ida, etc.) So that is more '42 production.

I start NF R&D on Dinah and/or Randy sometime in '42

I take (by plan) the Nate out of service in Q3Y43 ... until then I am actively using it.

I don't build many Tojo's. Its a defensive plane and I am on the offense in 42/43.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2703
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 1:38:29 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

HI supply never drops below 1.25M and after Feb 42 is always rising. HI pools start to rise in about March 42 and by July I'm banking about 1800/day.

There's my blueprint. Totally stolen from Mike Solli +4 years ago. I've tweaked it a bit, but not much.

How much supply do you have stockpiled in Japan by the end of 42 under these conditions Pax? I'm curious to compare the numbers. For interests sake I'm at Nov. 25/42 and I have 1.4 million HI banked (increasing roughly 4k/day) and 1.5 million supply (increasing 5-12k/day) in Japan.

I don't go below 1.25M as noted above, and that happens in Jan/Feb. After that increasing by +5K/day. End of '42 I have easily 2.5M supply in the HI, I think I had a game where I was well over 3M supply in the HI. Supply from the HI only goes east (Aleutians, Marshalls, Line Isles). In the west, conquests generate all the supply needed for offensive ops. I might have to send some supply to China, but only maybe. HK nets quite a bit. Those little 1E bombers don't use that much supply, but still get the job done (disrupting troops).

Pax

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2704
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 7:42:16 AM   
Speedysteve

This is fascinating info and gold dust for me. Thanks guys

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2705
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 11:07:54 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

This is fascinating info and gold dust for me. Thanks guys

As you can see, no concensus on things at all. Very different styles of play. Read up on all the IJ AAR's ... several are into 44/45 now. Some AAR's are having severe supply issues, that is why the discussions here.

I need to point out that historically IJ did have serious supply issues for much of the late war, that several campaigns were never undertaken because of supply concerns (OZ for example), and so supply is tight by design in the late game for IJ.

Having said that, the discussions here are centered around factory expansion/conversion as each factory changed costs 1000 supply and each one built costs 1100 supply.

My premise is that supply, just like HI, is a fixed comodity. IJ will only have so much in the entire game. You can calculate it quite precisely if you wish. It is finite, unlike the allied almost unlimited pool. You can track your use as you go against what you know will be your total supply production. Mike S and I both do this just like we track HI production and consumption. We also have plans for both. our Mantra: Logisitcs RULES!

You can use it early or late by choice. EX: If you decide you want to build 200 Tojo/month, this means you have to invest 400K supply (200 for the Tojo and 200 for the Ha-34 engine). This doesn't sound like much, but when you multiply this times 4 or 5 other models that you do the same thing for in 42/43, you have now spent a couple million supply. 2M supply is a lot. If you do this again in 43/44 and again in 44/45 as new models come available ... Historically, IJ could not do this. That is why the Nate was built into 1945, they simply could not afford to re-tool the factory and a Nate was better than no plane at all (although not by much).

The game mimics this reality quite well. Many players choose to build a lot of AC and extend their ability to control the game into late '43 and even '44. There are at least 2 AAR's where this is happening. They are good reading, quite insightful, and done by players who are both quite talented and good writers.

I choose not to follow this strategy. First off, I play only against the AI, and there is no AutoVic in my games. Second, I know in detail what the allies will get in '45. I have cheated heavily in this area and crunched the numbers. Appalling is all I can say. First, they get aircraft that the IJ cannot match. The IJ get some models that have good performance like the Shinden, but then are crippled by lousy armament choices leaving them woefully undergunned. Thus, and my testing confirms, I have to be prepared to losing 2:1 in the late game in just fighters. Then there are the 4E's, which all IJFB's know will frequently become 'aces' by shooting down so many IJ fighters. So, I need even more fighters against these. Finally, I need fighter groups 24/7 to protect against night bombing. So, let me use my conservative numbers: I plan that I will need to build +2000 fighters/month in the late game to be able to match up against the allied production. Asuming these are all 1E, and some of the better choices are 2E, that means I need to invest +4M supply in factory expansions alone to build them. When I am not expanding factories in the HI, I can save about 2.5M/year. So, during my key production time before I lose the DEI, I will save ~7M best case. I plan to spend +4M for my late war fighters ... I have only 3M for my LCU's to last 2 years ... I can just do it.

Now back up to the concept of expanding ac factories in 42/43. Whatever I build in 42/43, I have to take out of my late war build. The total supply does not exist. Not in the base plan. How can I change this plan? Simple, get more supply by conquest. If I take Calcutta and net 500K supply, I now can use this in '43 to build some additional Tojo and wreck havoc ... or save it and build even more Shinden in '45.

Supply, like fuel and HI is a zero-sum game. The IJ only has so much and the player gets to choose when to spend it. However, the player also needs to recognize that if he spends it in 42/43, he cannot expect to have it in 45/46.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 12/18/2013 1:44:55 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 2706
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 11:31:40 AM   
obvert

I've been looking at this for a while and just found something on fort building costs. Done in 2010, but probably still valid info.

quote:

ORIGINAL: vaned74

I did some testing on fort building out of curiousity to determine cost/time to build various levels.

I set up 10 Japanese naval const battalions (36 Engineers, 3 engineer vehicles) on two islands - Etorofu & Ishigaki.

Ishigaki started at level 2 fort, Etorofu at lvl 0. Both are non-clear terrain. On both islands thus were 120,000 supplies and 510 engineer equivalents (360 squads, 30 vehicles).

Both islands built fairly consistently in pace, Etorofu took less time to reach level 9. Here are the results for level to level builds w/supply costs.

Level 0-3 - Etorofu reach level 3 and 8% to level four in 3 days at a cost of 1,000 supplies.

Based on both islands (variance of 3% faster build rate at Etorofu).

Build level 3 to level 4 - 510 eng equivalents build at rate 11.5% per day; cost 280 supplies or 24 per 1% progress
Level 4 to 5 - 8%/day; 290 supplies/day or 36 per 1%
Level 5 to 6 - 5.5%/day; 290 supplies/day or 52 per 1%
Level 6 to 7 - 4%/day; 800 supplies/day or 200 per 1%
Level 7 to 8 - 3.1%/day; 800 supplies/day or 267 tons per 1%
Level 8 to 9 - 2.7%.day; 800 supplies/day or 299 tons per 1%

Note, you cannot build above level 6 w/o 25,000 tons of supplies present at the base.

So, totals are:

Levels 1,2 and 3- cost about 1,000 supplies and take 3 days
Level 4 - 2,400 tons of supplies; 9 days
Level 5 - 3,600 supplies, 13 days
Level 6 - 5,200 supplies, 19 days
Level 7 - 20,000 supplies, 25 days
Level 8 - 26,700 supplies, 33 days
Level 9 - 29,900 supplies, 38 days

To go from level 0 to level 9 required ~93,000 supplies and ~145 days for the 10 battalions.

Obviously in bang for your buck - level 6 is the best payout and a large engineering force can achieve this in relatively short time.

I also tested 5 battalions building and the rates where just about exactly equal to 1/2 of the build rate with 10 battalions (510 engineer equivalents).

This was seemingly a one post thread, so I am not linking it. Good info though. I was thinking that maybe building too many bases to level 6 might have led to supply shortages, and this seems to support that guess, unfortunately.

So to map it easier to see this in terms of the cost for each level I've made an accumulating list. My math and his don't add up, so I'm wondering why? I'd have to do a similar test, but at least this puts things in the same ballpark.

For 510 engineer equivalents:

Level 1 - 200 - 1 day
Level 2 - 500 - 2 days
Level 3 - 1,000 - 3 days

Level 4 - 2,400 - 12 days
Level 5 - 7,000 - 25 days
Level 6 - 12,200 - 44 days

Level 7 - 32,200 - 69 days
Level 8 - 58,900 - 102 days
Level 9 - 88,800 - 140 days

Now, thinking about the number of level 6 forts created for the Japanese in this game, I've gone through (without the game open in front of me but with a pretty good remembrance of which went to that level) and added up the cost of fort building. It's pretty staggering!

For the (estimated) 220 bases built to Level 6 the cost would be 2,684,000!!! Hmmmmmm.

Only two bases were built to a level 9, for another 177,600. About four more were built to level 7, for 128,000. That's 2,989,600!!!!!

That doesn't count the bases built to level 4-5 or less. Add another 100 at Level 4, for 240,000. Add another 50 at level 5, for 350,000. Add another 150 at level 3, for 150,000. So that's a total of 3,729,600!!!!!!!!!!

This seems to account for a much higher portion of supply than changing air factories around or building a lot of R n D. Even 90 x 30,000 is only 2,700,000.

Looking at a mid-42 econ report I was making just about 27,500 supply a day. So that's ~10,037,500 for the year. That gives a total of ~30,772,500 for the war up to 1/1/45.

So I guess about 12.2% of total supply up to 45 was used to build forts.

All of this is a bit speculative as I don't have the actual bases and numbers in front of me, but I bet the numbers are even higher counting all of the bases on map including those conquered and held during the game.

The interesting thing for me is that if I'd built those level 6 forts to level 5 instead (at a cost of 1,540,000) it would have cost 1,144,000 LESS in supply! That would be useful now!

In fact I may settle with level 4 forts (for 528,000) most everywhere except for very important bases and especially isolated islands. The Marianas will still be level 6 at least.

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/18/2013 12:52:03 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 2707
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 12:18:58 PM   
obvert

Now I have a question. What is the cost of non-base forts built by units in the field?

Are the costs the same?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2708
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 12:54:05 PM   
PaxMondo

Don't forget the costs to build AF's and Ports.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2709
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 12:55:00 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Now I have a question. What is the cost of non-base forts built by units in the field?

Are the costs the same?

Never been tested that I know of.

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2710
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 1:23:33 PM   
Spidery

According to the manual, the cost to build forts depends upon the potential SPS of the airfield or port at the base. Ishigaki (1,4) is slightly higher potential than Etorofu (1,3) which is consistent with the observed behaviour.

Also, the manual states the cost for level 7 and higher is three times normal. This seems consistent with the figures you show.

Presumably, if you have troops in the open at places you do not expect to stay, you should set them to Reserve or rest/training to avoid spending supply building forts that are never going to be used. I think a Beta changed removed building of forts when given a move order.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2711
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 1:30:01 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidery

According to the manual, the cost to build forts depends upon the potential SPS of the airfield or port at the base. Ishigaki (1,4) is slightly higher potential than Etorofu (1,3) which is consistent with the observed behaviour.

Also, the manual states the cost for level 7 and higher is three times normal. This seems consistent with the figures you show.

Presumably, if you have troops in the open at places you do not expect to stay, you should set them to Reserve or rest/training to avoid spending supply building forts that are never going to be used. I think a Beta changed removed building of forts when given a move order.

Do you mean to say one of the newer betas keeps forts if the unit doesn't actually move out of the hex? Where previously simply being in move mode would have erased the forts?

I've been a big fan of reserve mode for a while, but now I'm thinking it's imperative in many circumstances for supply conservation and a few other reasons.

I might have to do a test on the costs of fort building in non-base hexes. These things are turning out to be critically important for Japanese players especially. I wonder of the supply drain of in base and non-base fort building were a few of the factors that led to several recent games ending due to lack of supply late, and of course in the most famous example with the PzB game.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 2712
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 1:33:57 PM   
Spidery

quote:

Do you mean to say one of the newer betas keeps forts if the unit doesn't actually move out of the hex? Where previously simply being in move mode would have erased the forts?

I referred to this in the Beta release notes:

"121. Moving units try to build non-base forts (using supply) which are zero'ed - wasted supply"

Not sure which beta that comes from nor exactly what it means

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2713
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 2:36:24 PM   
SqzMyLemon

It's definitely going to be interesting getting these games to the late game and seeing how the different economic plans pan out.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 2714
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 3:06:01 PM   
witpqs

BTW, I'm pretty sure that disruption, fatigue, and morale affect engineer performance. Not sure about leader stats and the other units stats (like experience).

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2715
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 3:58:38 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

BTW, I'm pretty sure that disruption, fatigue, and morale affect engineer performance. Not sure about leader stats and the other units stats (like experience).

+1

Pax

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2716
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 4:23:02 PM   
Speedysteve

Really interesting stuff here guys. As a 'newly' Japanese convert I'm thinking along the liens you posted above Pax - everything is finite. It's a choice thing. I am thinking maybe I have too ambitious a plan to develop future planes with R&D so I'm going to stagger the conversion, expansion and repair of these facs and keep an eye on things.

Obvert - different topic question for you. As you recently found out that you can R&D to the end of a plane line once you've converted the fac to an earlier model (rather than having to research sequentially through each model) how much of a difference do you feel this has made or will have made on your war with Jocke?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2717
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 4:37:48 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Great post on the fort costs. I will be saving that one for sure, and will now go through and make sure all non-defensible places are not building forts. :)

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Post #: 2718
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/18/2013 5:36:42 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Really interesting stuff here guys. As a 'newly' Japanese convert I'm thinking along the liens you posted above Pax - everything is finite. It's a choice thing. I am thinking maybe I have too ambitious a plan to develop future planes with R&D so I'm going to stagger the conversion, expansion and repair of these facs and keep an eye on things.

Obvert - different topic question for you. As you recently found out that you can R&D to the end of a plane line once you've converted the fac to an earlier model (rather than having to research sequentially through each model) how much of a difference do you feel this has made or will have made on your war with Jocke?

The difference would have been getting a few planes on long lines more quickly. The Ki-100, the Oscar IV, the D4Y3-4 Judy the Frank 'r' might even have been a bit earlier. The Frank would have helped a lot, and the later Judys would have given the possibility for full KB strikes at 8 hexes a bit sooner. The others are escorts, mostly.

The Tojo IIc coming a few months earlier and the George and Jack service 2 second version arriving earlier would have definitely improved the air war during 43. I did lose a lot of planes on the ground after actions one day which then grounded service 3 planes for the next few days.

It's already a bit odd that we can push some planes so much earlier so seemingly easily, but maybe as we start to see the whole cost including supply (and in some scenarios HI) then it becomes less questionable from an Allied perspective.

Post #: 2719
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 1:56:36 PM   
obvert

ECONOMY
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, it's been better.

The supply in the HI is dire, and not likely to get better based on the amount of industry now destroyed and that will be destroyed soon.

On the bright side I can happily end resource shipments from Hokkaido and Fusan. Plenty to go around for the rest of the war now. I've already stopped many of the CS convoys, and the rest will be distributed to big ports around the HI to await imminent destruction.

The global fuel/oil/supply is misleading as a large portion of that is sitting in Singapore inaccessible to the forces in the Home Islands.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/19/2013 2:57:29 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2720
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 2:17:28 PM   
obvert

BB TEST
Since the game has been at a halt for a few days and won't resume until after the holiday when we both return and Jocke has his new HD installed, I've started some tests for fun.

This set is using BBs mano-a-mano to see how they stack up. I've chosen Fuso first for the older IJN BBs. The first match is against the Maryland (in late 43 after upgrades).

Surprisingly the match is pretty equal in the first two encounters, both at night. The Fuso takes a big hit in the second clash during the first day in spate of landing twice as many hits, and is in worse shape as damage control can't extinguish the fires. Looks like she would make it to port, but just barely. The Maryland is fine other than losing a Bofors and radar set.

In the second battle it's even more even. The Fuso again lands more blows but the damage after the turn is nearly equivalent.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/19/2013 3:17:56 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2721
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 2:23:13 PM   
obvert

BB TEST (continued)

The third battle is the most surprising. In this one I set up the ships to hit each other in daylight. The Fuso in this one absolutely dominates, hitting Maryland mercilessly 36 times!! She sank before the turn was over so I don't have a shot of her damage. I'll include the combat reports later.

Pretty interesting. I wouldn't have thought the old US BB would do so well at night or so badly in the day. Makes me think a bit, and especially after the next one I tried.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2722
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 2:28:31 PM   
Lokasenna

Ouch. Looks like we're winding down, here .

I'm curious: are you wishing you had expanded some LI now?

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 12/19/2013 3:29:03 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2723
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 2:52:55 PM   
SqzMyLemon

What I find interesting is the amount of HI you have left. It's been drilled into our heads that you must have millions of HI stored for the late game, but it appears supply is actually the crucial factor. It appears both HI and supply are limiting factors yet the emphasis has mostly been on HI.

Something else interesting is the 47k/month pilot training HI cost. As we are aware, a lot of Allied players have a real problem with both PDU On and a Japanese players ability to train pilots. Well, there is the cost for those that care. If anything is changed to limit Japanese pilot training in the future I think it imperative that the associated HI expense would diminish as well. As with everything in this game for Japan, there is a cost and more players should be aware of those expenses rather than simply complain that Japan gets a free pass with pilot training. They don't.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 12/19/2013 6:21:51 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2724
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 3:09:47 PM   
koniu

Very interesting tests.
IF You are doing those test You should tests with night battle when Japanese BB have and don`t have Radar Type 22 installed.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2725
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 3:27:26 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

The 465 day pool of resources remaining is encouraging. One of the primary arguments against LI expansion in the Home Islands is the extra resources required. I think it's clear the destruction of HI means there is more of the resources available for LI production in the late game. HI should probably be expanded even more in Java and Malaya to use up more of the local fuel supply since you'll never get it all back to Japan as obvert points out with the high pools at Singapore. It's clear to me now that as important as Hi is, supply is crucial. I think the focus on HI, HI and more HI has been misleading. Is conserving supply and increasing Japan's production of it to be the new priority?

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 12/19/2013 4:28:51 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2726
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 3:58:58 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

The 465 day pool of resources remaining is encouraging. One of the primary arguments against LI expansion in the Home Islands is the extra resources required. I think it's clear the destruction of HI means there is more of the resources available for LI production in the late game. HI should probably be expanded even more in Java and Malaya to use up more of the local fuel supply since you'll never get it all back to Japan as obvert points out with the high pools at Singapore. It's clear to me now that as important as Hi is, supply is crucial. I think the focus on HI, HI and more HI has been misleading. Is conserving supply and increasing Japan's production of it to be the new priority?

I don't know if it's anything new, really. But the very first thing I noticed when looking at my convoys, when I first started playing Japan, was that Resources actually aren't hard to get. There are always too many. My stocks in my game against Moose are already up several million in Japan, and I haven't even shipped anything from the DEI yet! That's all just coming from places within a couple dozen hexes of Honshu.

Now, is it worth it to ship Resources from the DEI? Maybe not worth the Fuel. I don't want to run the numbers on Fuel spent per Resource. But if you have the Magic Coast Road working... It brings things a lot closer, and then it's unquestionably worth it to just truck them the last little bit of ocean over to Honshu.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2727
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 4:06:12 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

I don't know if it's anything new, really. But the very first thing I noticed when looking at my convoys, when I first started playing Japan, was that Resources actually aren't hard to get. There are always too many. My stocks in my game against Moose are already up several million in Japan, and I haven't even shipped anything from the DEI yet! That's all just coming from places within a couple dozen hexes of Honshu.

Not new, but one of the biggest arguments about increasing LI in the Home Islands is that you will need to ship more resources to Japan and the extra fuel that will require. If you are using Fusan than the fuel expenditure is peanuts compared to shipping from anywhere else so I don't think that particular argument holds weight anymore.

We all know that the amount of fuel/oil is finite, that Japan can only produce so much HI and supply from fuel sources. What isn't finite is LI and resources, if anything they are the only viable increase to Japan's supply producing capability short of further conquests. I think obvert's game will go a long way to debunk a number of arguments against LI expansion. I'm not saying expanding LI is the way to go here, but I am trying to point out that some of the arguments against it, increased fuel usage and more resources needed, perhaps aren't as big a factor as initially thought particularly if Fusan is used almost exclusively. I think the late war supply situation needs to be addressed in any number of ways; smarter production choices; more strategically sound conquests that increase fuel and supply producing capability; more prudent fort building...etc. I will not say expanding LI is the only answer, but it is certainly something that could be pursued in combination with other options.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 12/19/2013 5:21:48 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2728
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 4:46:28 PM   
Spidery

quote:

Something else interesting is the 47k/month pilot training HI cost.

What I always see is that the HI pilot cost for a month is 2x the number of pilots in the training pools and not the 5x that tracker shows. I would be interested in whether this is a change from a Beta or my misunderstanding. This could be 19K HI a month instead.

With the remaining time until game end in May 46 looking at about 2.6 million HI expenditure so the HI is about what would be needed for a game that goes to the end.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2729
RE: Wild Sheep Chase - 12/19/2013 5:25:28 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidery

With the remaining time until game end in May 46 looking at about 2.6 million HI expenditure so the HI is about what would be needed for a game that goes to the end.

That may be true, but I was trying to point out that without supply, that pooled HI is next to useless. You can train your pilots and build your aircraft, but you won't have the supply to do anything with them.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 2730
Page:   <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wild Sheep Chase Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI