Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CD Rom Version:Install options?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> CD Rom Version:Install options? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CD Rom Version:Install options? - 5/1/2000 2:18:00 AM   
dalbrech

In he CD Rom version will there be levels of install as there were in the first SP games. IE, you can only need 60MB of space (Just as a example) if you are wiling to take a performance hit to preserve HD space. The size of minimum installs of games is outrageous and a lot of it I understand is not from any real need but from lazy programming and loosely written code. Hopefully this can be avoided in SPWAW..

dalbrech
Post #: 1
- 5/1/2000 7:52:00 AM   
cragwolf

quote:

The size of minimum installs of games is outrageous and a lot of it I understand is not from any real need but from lazy programming and loosely written code.
I just wanted to address this statement. Loosely written code in the real world is not likely to make that big a difference to the final installation size. The factors which can and/or do make a significant difference to the game size are: 1) Using AVI's for videos instead of MPG's or using WAV's for sounds instead of MP3's or etc etc. Of course, this is only a factor if you have a large amount of media. 2) Uncompressed data. This may simply mean nothing more than not arranging the data efficiently. This could be called "lazy programming". 3) Unnecessary spam. Not only advertising, but useless fairy-floss media which don't add anything to the game but obesity. So, yeah, generally speaking, lazy programming to some extent, but not loosely written code (specifically). The latter is far more important in determining game speed, assuming loosely written code implies unoptimised code. At least, this is my perspective as a mediocre, part-time programmer. cragwolf;

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 2
- 5/1/2000 8:43:00 AM   
troopie

Re: your point 3: Unnecessary spam or useeless fairy floss media. That is one of my complaints about Talonsoft. They use up a lot of disk space with their logo (in bmp. form) and ads for their other games. Then there are the unnecessary avi.s that are a waste of time. After seeing them a few times, I turn them off. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 3
- 5/1/2000 10:08:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Unfortunately Advertisement is a necessary evil...you will see it in SP:WaW. We also have an AVI that is ppretty neat and has everybody involved in the game. THey worked hard, we want to make sure they get there name in lights :-) YOU can hit space to skip it after you've seen it... We have lots of avi and wav files - making up most of the size difference. Yes some might call them fluff, but the first and loudest comment everybody who has played the game has said is ...WOw the sound effects are so cool!" Pooh pooh them if you want, but without the sound and graphic bells and whitles there is about zero chance of getting new blood attracted to wargaming. We intend to give good detail for those of you who like it, but we are also adding the glitz, without which, the wargame community will be in a death spiral.

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 4
- 5/2/2000 4:34:00 AM   
cragwolf

Oh, I agree that these things can be necessary evils. In your case, I would really only criticise you for using AVI instead of MPG and WAV instead of MP3. I understand that AVI and WAV files are supported natively by the windows multimedia and DirectSound API's, which makes your job easier, so you do have some excuse. But please don't take my criticise too much to heart. After all, this game is free, and we wargamers should be grateful to you guys for putting in countless hours of hard work, which will extend the life of this great game series. cragwolf;

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 5
- 5/2/2000 2:04:00 PM   
Supervisor

Actually, we used Smacker for the video, not AVI. Pretty good compression too... Jon

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 6
- 5/2/2000 3:43:00 PM   
Recon_slith

I hesitate to ask, but what kind and how much advertising can we expect? No scrolling banners during combat I hope- that's a hanging offence. ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 7
- 5/2/2000 5:14:00 PM   
David Heath

If you look at the screenshots, 8 down on the right side you will see. The thing changes once a turn.

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 8
- 5/2/2000 6:39:00 PM   
Recon_slith

Well, it's not too big and if it doesn't animate and thereby provide an annoying distraction it should be alright. Have to have some way to get income for such a large project of course. ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 9
- 5/2/2000 7:14:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Once you get into the game, you don't even notice the ads. Perhaps I should not say that (G). Some are quite colorful, however, and its not all that bad. Trust me..WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 10
- 5/2/2000 9:49:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Recon We are not getting anything except it gave us a way to thank the mags who will be putting the game on their CD or other people who helped us with the game.

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 11
- 5/3/2000 3:03:00 AM   
cragwolf

quote:

Actually, we used Smacker for the video, not AVI. Pretty good compression too...
Ah, excellent news.

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 12
- 5/3/2000 8:17:00 PM   
Recon_slith

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Hi Recon We are not getting anything except it gave us a way to thank the mags who will be putting the game on their CD or other people who helped us with the game.
This company must be existing on moonbeams. Where does the income come from? ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

-- Mark Twain

(in reply to dalbrech)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> CD Rom Version:Install options? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI