Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/11/2001 4:30:00 AM   
chanman

Hi all, I am 36 until this coming April, single. Thirty years ago, one of my uncles needed an opponent to play AH's Gettysburg and Tactics II. Been hooked ever since, moved to computer games as soon as I could afford my first computer since opponents were so tough to find. Now, I am back to my SPWaW campaign. I think that I am facing more Polish tanks than they were actually able to deploy countrywide.

"As God is my witness, I thought that turkeys could fly"

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 91
- 3/11/2001 5:29:00 AM   
ruxius

Ruxius : 30 years old !! Still feeling the shock in changing a decade... Not yet married but sharing from my girlfriend the same hates that wifes generallly move to their 'PC generals' here ! A 'legionary' since I was a boy with small soldiers ! I began with Indians against Cowboys...that was the powerful US trading influence across Europe...untill I knew small soldiers from Atlantic trademark and knew about WWII... Caesar battles with Commodore 64 Warlords , Civilization untill unforgettable contact with Steel Panthers I ..never betrayed since then ! A heartly salute to all vets and 'grandfathers' here...I love your endless inner youth ..you are my certainly to the future years of wargaming. But also a welcome to all the youngest..thanking them for their enthusiasm... Living in the middle I can say it ! Now I finally find I am not alone ! Very interesting knowing about all of you !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 92
- 3/11/2001 6:12:00 AM   
Kaz

Okay, simply put, I'm 32. Played a lot of Squad Leader in the mid 80's. Got hooked on Perfect General II for a couple of years with my cousin. Very happy to find SPWaW. Was looking for something like this for a couple of years. Kaz

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 93
- 3/11/2001 6:30:00 AM   
Red Baron

I have reached the rather mature age of 38, but when it comes down to wargaming, my wifes tells me that i´m nothing but a teenager with pimples Started way back in the late 70´s on a ZX Spectrum, then Atari and C64, Amiga (took a long time before i turned over to PC )All the way nothing but wargames, but since SP1 appeared i have been hooked!!! Regards..Michael. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 94
- 3/11/2001 8:43:00 AM   
Major Ed

Am 45 and have been playing war games since the late 60's. The first games by brother and I got were Midway and Africa Korps, unless you want to count Battleship and Risk.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 95
- 3/11/2001 8:48:00 AM   
parusski

Hey folks, any of you live near Memphis TN??? Just wondering, it's hard to find people to "do" boardgames.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 96
- 3/11/2001 9:17:00 AM   
Banjo

40 going on 10 and regressing. Started with AH Alesia in high school. ASL, Gettysburg, Third Reich, Midway... Discovered SPWAW through a friend. Have been hooked on B17-2 lately, but will be sending my 20 dollars shortly to supprt this great company. V5.0 will get me back into SPWAW again I'm sure. So many games too little time. Got to pick up my guitar and banjo and get out the door to get some playing in. Could they add the banjo as a psychological warfare weapon?

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 97
- 3/11/2001 9:55:00 AM   
David boutwell

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fredde: [B] 29.. been deeply involved in war games since the mature age of 11 (anyone beat that? ) Freddie, Read my first post in this thread...I couldn't have been older than 4 or 5. My brother and I played with my uncle's games while he was in Vietnam. I can remember my 4th grade teacher bringing AH's Gettysburg to school for some reason, and I can remember kicking other kids' asses because I'd already played many different types of wargames. Hell, I can remember my dad, my uncle, my brother and I organizing GI Joe squads! David Boutwell

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 98
- 3/11/2001 9:57:00 AM   
johnfmonahan

Spry and chipper 45. I started with Tactics II long ago and played em all. Still have some if anybody is interested. Got a good gig now with free, new PC stuff. ------------------ When in doubt, go on line.

When in doubt, go on line.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 99
- 3/11/2001 9:59:00 AM   
David boutwell

quote:

Originally posted by Panzerjaeger Hortlund: 27 yrs old, married with kids (well..really just one, but since he's only 3 months, the workload is the equivalent of at least 3 kids, I promise Started out with SL when I was 9 or 10, but we never did understand that rulebook so we made up our own rules. Proved to give some *really* interesting situations. Just to mention a few examples: prisoners were not prisoners but unarmed commandos that would have to ambush and steal the guns of other units. the MA of any tank or gun(for example 75L)was not the caliber, but the range the gun could fire in hexes. Believe me when I say that those 280mm Nebelwerfers were real killers. Each squad had the number of men depicted on the counter. Made stacking pretty exciting. The typical battle was fought using every avaliable map and every avaliable counter. The target accusition (how DO you spell that word) counters were mines, with each counter representing one mine. Broken = dead, so we would have the battlefield littered with corpses. Damn we had fun in those days. I just wish I had a photo or something of one of our battlefields. Try to imagine one of our infamous river crossings, where each rubber raft carried something like 20 counters (they had something like 40pp, and since each squad only were 2 men... Steve

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 100
- 3/11/2001 10:05:00 AM   
David boutwell

quote:

Originally posted by Panzerjaeger Hortlund: 27 yrs old, married with kids (well..really just one, but since he's only 3 months, the workload is the equivalent of at least 3 kids, I promise Started out with SL when I was 9 or 10, but we never did understand that rulebook so we made up our own rules. Proved to give some *really* interesting situations. Just to mention a few examples: prisoners were not prisoners but unarmed commandos that would have to ambush and steal the guns of other units. the MA of any tank or gun(for example 75L)was not the caliber, but the range the gun could fire in hexes. Believe me when I say that those 280mm Nebelwerfers were real killers. Each squad had the number of men depicted on the counter. Made stacking pretty exciting. The typical battle was fought using every avaliable map and every avaliable counter. The target accusition (how DO you spell that word) counters were mines, with each counter representing one mine. Broken = dead, so we would have the battlefield littered with corpses. Damn we had fun in those days. I just wish I had a photo or something of one of our battlefields. Try to imagine one of our infamous river crossings, where each rubber raft carried something like 20 counters (they had something like 40pp, and since each squad only were 2 men... Steve
Steve, Sorry about the previous quote with no reply! I was laughing so hard I forgot what I was doing. That is the funniest post I've ever read in here! What made it so funny is the fact that I could relate to everything you said!! I can remember being given SL by a kid who didn't know how the heck to play it...the rules were to complicated for me too, so I just tried to interpret what all of the values were. Most of my interpretations were probably wrong, but I'd made up so many rules for 1/76th scale battles that I had a primitive idea about probability tables, etc. Took me forever to figure out the to hit tables! Dave Boutwell

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 101
- 3/11/2001 10:39:00 AM   
Vas

41 and feeling every year of it! I started wargaming in 1977 with Panzer Leader and moved on to Squad Leader. I just knew that the people here had to be an older crowd, because the posts are civil and muture. Just try following some of the posts in some of the video game forums, some of these kids have trouble linking to words together, and they can't spell half the profane words they try to use. Classic example: "Wee gota stop the violins in vido games!"

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 102
- 3/12/2001 12:24:00 AM   
Billy Yank

I'm 35 years years old, married with 2 kids. I started with fantasy/sf games like D&D, Car Wars & Starfire. The first historical game I remember playing was "Terrible Swift Sword" by Avalon Hill.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 103
- 3/12/2001 6:07:00 AM   
Tom_Davie

Chronological age as of March 11/01 at 5:17 pm CST......40.59 Tom

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 104
- 3/12/2001 1:32:00 PM   
Rhodan

quote:

Originally posted by Red Baron: I have reached the rather mature age of 38, but when it comes down to wargaming, my wifes tells me that i´m nothing but a teenager with pimples Started way back in the late 70´s on a ZX Spectrum, then Atari and C64, Amiga (took a long time before i turned over to PC
Hi 5's on the Amiga thing :D there are stil days my kids are asking 'but dad what IS this Workbench you keep grumbling about an what ARE motorola processors?'...

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 105
- 3/12/2001 2:03:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

I'm 27 years old. Steel Thunder

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 106
- 3/12/2001 5:06:00 PM   
Spellbinder

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: ...I'm 64, all parts working (sometimes) and have been an avid wargamer since 1965, beginning with AH Afrika Korps (Small world, huh?) and Midway.... Wild Bill [/B]
WB, you started wargaming when I was born ;-) 36 years in April, started wargaming with ASL (which I still play) and love SPWaW! Can't wait for v5.0 to come. I wish us all many, many years of wargaming to come. Thanks for such a wonderfull game :cool: Ciao Klaus

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 107
- 3/12/2001 7:13:00 PM   
B52g

I knew it, there are a lot of older people in here. (Its too polite in here) I am 31, I have a wife and a two year old girl. I started playing wargames with "Conquest of the Empire", "Axis and Allies" and "Fortress America" the board games. Me and my friends used to stay up all night playing against their dad. We would gang up on him.(he usually kicked our butts) But we never stopped trying to beat him.

John

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 108
- 3/12/2001 11:42:00 PM   
Per-Anders Westin

I'm 26, one of the younger in this community. I have played all versions of SP since '95. Started my gaming "career" in the mid '80s with RPG and board games.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 109
- 3/13/2001 12:53:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

A pretty young group here...Me I',m 53, been Wargaming 3 decades.

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 110
- 3/13/2001 5:32:00 AM   
MarkFroio

40 years old and I've been playing since I was 10 or 11. First games were AH Battle of the Bulge and Luftwaffe. Spent many long summer days playing those with my buddy. Started computer gaming with Panzer General and then SP1. I've played a lot of computer games, but I keep coming back to the Steel Panthers series. Thanks for keeping it fun.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 111
- 3/13/2001 6:42:00 AM   
FrankyVas

27, going on 13. Started by making my own games. Didn't even knew they sold the things till I came to the USA. Frank V.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 112
- 3/13/2001 1:46:00 PM   
Michael Wermelin

Well I have never thought of my self as young in the ways of gaming. But I guess I have to change that view of myself, I'm only 27 this year. Feels good to be a junior again :)

Attacking is the best of all defences.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 113
- 3/14/2001 5:19:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

Wow, I thought I was an old geezer, but I'm happy to see even more antiquated gamers here! I'm 46, I started on AH's "Blitzkrieg" some time in the late '60s, I awas a long time S&T subscriber too. I guess my wargaming claim to fame is that I actually played an entire game of "Drang nach Osten." That was a gargantuan batallion/division level game of the Eastern Front that came out in the early '70s. I went to the Virginia Military Institute (class of '76) and did a lot of great gaming there.

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 114
- 3/14/2001 5:55:00 AM   
Nixuebrig

Think i pull the avarage down. I am 29 and I started my wargaming career with SSI`s Kampfgruppe on my old Atari XL.(somewhere in the middle or ending eighties) Banzai

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 115
- 3/14/2001 8:22:00 AM   
Coachace

I'm 40 years old and still regretting the ill-fated day I took my Russian 8-1 leader with that machine gunner on top of that hill to check out that German infested village. Both were dead before I knew what had happened. That Squad Leader game back in '87 was the first wargame I fought against a real person. Prior to that, I had been battling a computer since '79. -=Coachace=-

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 116
- 3/14/2001 9:13:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

I turned 36 last November, and if we count Milton Bradley mass-market stuff (anybody remember Carrier Strike or Chopper Command?), I've been gaming since I was about 7 or 8. When I was about 10, I started drawing my own maps, placing defenders, and then planing attacks. I got my mom to buy me Squad Leader (the original...no 'advanced' business'), and I taught myself to play and then started getting my fellow WW2 buffs to play. I havn't had a lot of time to devote since I got married and two kids came along...even harder to play now that I'm in the sticks (we have to drive a mile to get to the mail box, and when we want to go to the city, we go to Redding!) and I can't find opponents. SP:WaW fits the bill, though, and I made sure all of my Bay Area gaming buddies had copies of SP:WaW before I left!

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 117
- 3/14/2001 9:38:00 AM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by Banjo: 40 going on 10 and regressing. Started with AH Alesia in high school.
WOW - I had forgotten all about "Caesar at Alesia" - I think I still have it - somewhere. I never lost as the Romans!! My nephew tried a few times and came close once - he figured with 6 to 1 odds he had to win - NOT!! :D Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 118
- 3/14/2001 3:34:00 PM   
Kokoda

For the sake of statistically valid sample size...48, playing since the cast iron african warriors in the sand pit in Ghana at 7. I had rules, but the one with the coolest coloured shield always seemed to win :D. Chess at the same age (pawns always have C&C on!). Got hooked on ancients at Group North Historical Wargames Society (are you listening Possum?). Enjoyed Caesar at Alesio too. First tanks in Arab-Israeli Wars. Lots of playing with myself than FTF or PBEM. ( my eyesight is failing as the old wives always said it would). ...SPWAW is tops though, by a street.

CHRIS

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 119
- 3/15/2001 10:23:00 AM   
Fresca

Ok, so I normally just lurk, but all the mentions of the great games that got us started has sucked me right in.... I'm 33, and one half of a nerd DINK (dual income, no kids) marriage with two rude cats (are there any other kind?) and lots of computers. Got started with chess, and played Tactics II, Tobruk, Third Reich, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Bismark and Alpha Omega (anyone remember that one? it was tactical starship combat that worked alot like WWII sea battles) sprawled over the floor of my bedroom. Geez - everyone thought it was soooo geeky at the time (and they were right :D), but if nothing else, studying those manuals upped the ol' reading comprehension scores :) So I guess I'm a pretty typical wargamer, except I'm female :eek: :D Glad to make your aquaintance, and hope I didn't ruin the ol' bell curve...

(in reply to molset)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI