Age of the spw@w´er? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

molset -> Age of the spw@w´er? (3/9/2001 4:42:00 AM)

Greetings gentlemen. At the risk of asking the wrong Q, I ask! I have long thought about what the average age of the "typical" w@w player/enthusiast is? Being 33, I have a modest suspicion being one of the younger ones on the forum. This I mean in the best way, because as more members of the forum community reveal their age Im marvelled how young at heart the comunity is, juniour or senior. Thank you MATRIX for a fantastic game to preserve the younger inner self. Regards Molset "jakki er ekki frakki nema sidur se"

john g -> (3/9/2001 5:24:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by molset: Greetings gentlemen. At the risk of asking the wrong Q, I ask! I have long thought about what the average age of the "typical" w@w player/enthusiast is?
My age as a human is 42 years, as a wargamer I am age 28, since I waited until I was 14 to start playing Panzerblitz, back in 1972. thanks, John.

WW2'er -> (3/9/2001 5:26:00 AM)

Ain't no age limits in this army! I'm 32 years young. I don't mind telling my age, but dont you DARE call me "typical"!! [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] In Wargaming Years....I'm probably only about 14. Started with "Axis and Allies" in college. (Unless of course you count playing "War" with the neighborhood kids, or with plastic army men!) WW2'er [This message has been edited by WW2'er (edited March 08, 2001).]

Huffy -> (3/9/2001 6:03:00 AM)

Well...I am 39...I too with a friend of mine...we started with "Panzer Blitz"...when we were 15. Huffy

Christophe Jaureguiberry -> (3/9/2001 6:08:00 AM)

Well, I'm just turning 30 today! I started wargaming with "War in Russia" in 1984. Regards, Christophe

Huffy -> (3/9/2001 6:09:00 AM)

Happy Birthday to ya....take care and have fun..

Mike Rothery -> (3/9/2001 6:14:00 AM)

Age 37, married with two kids and a mortgage. I'm waiting for the mortgage to grow up and leave home. I've been gaming since I started High School in 1976. Mostly a miniatures player, in micro-armour scale (1/300th or 1/285th) WWII and modern warfare. I discovered boardgaming in about 1980 and kept at it through University. The advent of small childen has relegated several hundred tiny lead tanks to a cabinet in the garrage, but I'm still a miniatures gamer at heart. Mike R

Mike Rothery -> (3/9/2001 6:14:00 AM)

Age 37, married with two kids and a mortgage. I'm waiting for the mortgage to grow up and leave home. I've been gaming since I started High School in 1976. Mostly a miniatures player, in micro-armour scale (1/300th or 1/285th) WWII and modern warfare. I discovered boardgaming in about 1980 and kept at it through University. The advent of small childen has relegated several hundred tiny lead tanks to a cabinet in the garrage, but I'm still a miniatures gamer at heart. Mike R

AJH -> (3/9/2001 6:55:00 AM)

Age 37. Started wargaming at 11 with a copy of AH's Stalingrad and haven't stopped since. Still have a nostalgic fondness for the SPI years.....

KG Erwin -> (3/9/2001 7:11:00 AM)

43 years young, and I too started my wargame love affair with Stalingrad. I also was a big fan of all those 1960s prime-time WWII TV shows ("Combat", "The Rat Patrol", "12 O'Clock High" and the like). The boardgames, TV shows and the war movies of the time helped fuel my developing fascination with military history and in particular the Wehrmacht (they had the coolest-looking uniforms and weapons!). ------------------ "Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside..." Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Warhorse -> (3/9/2001 7:27:00 AM)

Hey gents/ladies, 39 years old, and started actual gaming about '84, with Panzer Blitz, then Squad Leader, ASL, miniatures.....!! Great bunch this all is, I must say, good to "know" all ya!! [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

LeibstandartePzD -> (3/9/2001 8:27:00 AM)

I have you all beat so far. I'll be 26 in May. ------------------ Former member of the 8th US cavalry and a grandson of a Leibstandarte tanker. Former name on these boards was Leibstandarte.

Randy -> (3/9/2001 8:27:00 AM)

45 yrs old going on 30. Besides the game and I enjoy reading military stuff, and I'm into 1/87th scale modern military models (trying to build an Army heavy brigade). I started computer wargaming with Perfect General!! Semper Fi Randy

Rhodan -> (3/9/2001 8:30:00 AM)

30, married ( I think..yeah..I think so..I sure as heck am not the guy that wears those bras), three kids. As for gaming years I don't know exactly..I remember playing hex based games on the Commodore 64 when it was stil a hot product..does that count up to anything?

Drex -> (3/9/2001 8:46:00 AM)

I'm 53. Wild Bill is probably the only one older than me in spwaw. Some of you younger guys have taught me some new tricks in this game.

chaos45 -> (3/9/2001 8:50:00 AM)

23 been gaming for 10 years.

Figmo -> (3/9/2001 9:08:00 AM)

50 years old!! 5 kids - 3 still at home. Started playing war games in the early 70's with Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Third Reich, D-Day and others. Had subscriptions to "The General" by AH and SI's magazine. I remember SI's magazine had a game with every issue - some were even good!! Figmo

slehtine -> (3/9/2001 9:33:00 AM)

28. I started with SP1. -Sasa

Graf Speer -> (3/9/2001 9:38:00 AM)

I agree, molset, the SP series is one the great games. Now to try and answer that age old question, the last time I calculated age - Speer having been born in 1905, that would make me 96 years old [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/eek.gif[/img], assuming I am still alive . . . but in fact, this Matrix free-youth-serum-handout-program has me feeling half that (i.e., 48 ;-)) and apparently has revitalized me and my achy bones which appear only to ache as a visceral result of having my stereo speaker system turned up too high during the subwoofer bombardment phase replay. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Albert

Alby -> (3/9/2001 10:04:00 AM)

42 years old, still Rockin and thumpin the bass!! Bought the sp arsenal some 4 or 5 years ago, got hooked playing online with sp3 Got hooked rockin when I heard some band from england sing "ya ya ya" heheh Alby [This message has been edited by Alby (edited March 08, 2001).]

Panzer Capta -> (3/9/2001 10:12:00 AM)

45 years young. Started computer wargaming with "Kampfgruppe". SPWaW is at the top of my list now. Dont know how i do it, but also find time for: Tigers on Prowl 2 Panthers in the Shadow Dragons in the Mist Broken Alliance East Front II Rising Sun West Front Panzer Campaign Smolensk Panzer Campaign Normandy Panzer Campaign Kharkov Close Combat III and IV Combat Mission Sudden Strike

Pack Rat -> (3/9/2001 10:36:00 AM)

50 here. Started playing with HO scale tanks and troops when I was but a kid. Played some war board games but they weren't real in depth. Sp1 got me reinvolved. ------------------ PR http://electricwar.tripod.com/

skukko -> (3/9/2001 11:05:00 AM)

36,3girls,married. Started wargames in late70's, boardgame-don't remember name... mosh

Warrior -> (3/9/2001 12:00:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Drex: I'm 53. Wild Bill is probably the only one older than me in spwaw. Some of you younger guys have taught me some new tricks in this game.
Well, I'm older than you, but younger than Wild Bill. Go figure.

David boutwell -> (3/9/2001 12:28:00 PM)

I'm almost 35, married almost 12 years with 1 daughter. I started wargaming by watching my dad and uncle fight battles on the floor with 1/76th scale soldiers and made up rules when I was probably no older than 4 or five. I used to look at the battle maps in my dad's American Heritage Civil war book, count the flags, and whoever had the most flags won the battle, at least in my 4 year old imagination. My first wargame was my uncle's AH Gettysburg. Started WWII wargaming with 1/76th scale soldiers on my friend's large porch, using bricks for buildings and lead expansion bolts for walls. I then moved on to Squad Leader in middle school. I've basically wargamed all of my life with one format or another. I even did Civil War reenactment for 10 years. I remember when I first saw SP1. I found it as a demo in my Great Naval Battles CD the night before a trip to New Zealand. I was blown away. I spent the whole trip anticipating coming back home so that I could play that damn game! Dave Boutwell

Don -> (3/9/2001 12:32:00 PM)

45 here - 25 in my mind and 65 in my body!

USMCGrunt -> (3/9/2001 12:32:00 PM)

30 years old (That's 225 years at my last Marine Corps Birthday). Been playing wargames sine I was 13. Some of the games and systems I've enjoyed have been: Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge (My first) Guderian on the Commodore 64 Fasa's Battle Tech system Micro-Armor (While in the Marines) GDW's Warhammer 40K series (Epic scale and small unit) Axis and Allies (Ahhhhh Wargaming Lite) Fortress America Panzer General SP1,2,3, and SPWAW (Definately the favorites) There have been more but those were the ones I played on a regular basis. ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

Possum -> (3/9/2001 12:37:00 PM)

Hello. I'M 38. Started gaming with D & D in high school in '78, from there moved to ancient/medievial minatures, then to WWII minatures. mostly 1/72 scale for the WWII. I still have about 150 plastic 1/72 tanks packed away in tissue at my mothers house, & about 2000 ancient/fantasy 25mm Lead minatures.

ectizen -> (3/9/2001 1:57:00 PM)

hi everyone! i'm 32. i started in the early '80s with 1/72 minitures, home made rules, and a friend's pool table for a battlefield. mid '80s saw Close Assault on the trs-80 (i think it was a cut-down version of Squad Leader, with the computer telling me where to put the pieces). late '80s gave me Advanced Sqaud Leader - a difficult game to play when you have basic knowledge of the rules, and your opponent has encyclopedic knowledge (his game, he got to read all the rules...). next came Harpoon, Harpoon II, Steel Panthers, Steel Panthers 2. all of these were 1 or 2 computer generations behind my current, so there was usually some difficulty involved in simply running the games - because of this i didn't bother trying SP3... 3 or 4 weeks ago i heard that Steel Panthers was being actively developed again. 2 or 3 weeks ago i finished downloading it [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. my work is beginning to suffer. it's nice to find a gamer's forum where the average age is over 14. [This message has been edited by ectizen (edited March 09, 2001).]

Dagobert -> (3/9/2001 2:02:00 PM)

40. Okay here are some old titles: AH's 1914 and Gettysburg. SPI's Phalanx, Strategy 1,Patrol, and WW2. I could go on. But 1914 was the first.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI