Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/17/2014 8:57:04 PM   
barkman44

Richard Overy's"Goering-Hitlers iron knight"not so much a biography as a synopsis of the german prewar and wartime economy.
As leader of the four year plans he exercised immense power and had his fingerprints on an extrodinary amount of elements of the reich.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 991
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/18/2014 10:02:02 PM   
nate25

Ian Kershaw, "The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945".

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 992
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/21/2014 8:15:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

This title sounds very interesting, Orm. Please let me know what you think about it.

I did enjoy reading Divide and Rule. The Partition of Africa, 1880-1914 by Henk Wesseling. But with that said I thought it lacked in describing the effects in Africa. The focus of the book was on the European powers and their treaties and diplomatic actions.

I was surprised that it was so few people involved in colonization (partition) of such a huge area. I was also dumbfounded by the fact that everyone knew that most treaties with the African rulers were not legal but every European nation treated them all as legal because if they begun to question the legality of another nations treaties then their own would be questioned. Such trickery as changing the wording when translating the treaty or worse seem to have been common when creating the colonies in Africa but this is not the focus of the book.

I preferred the book King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild that I read previously since it described, in depth, what happened in the colony but Divide and Rule provided a nice overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_and_Rule:_The_Partition_of_Africa,_1880-1914
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Leopold%27s_Ghost

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 993
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/21/2014 8:47:29 PM   
Max 86

Game of Thrones series. Found the 5 book set on sale for the Kindle for $19.99 so I thought why not give it a try.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 994
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/21/2014 9:12:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Condition of the Working Class in England by Friedrich Engels (1847)

Before that two Jules Verne's novels. And after it, one more Verne's novel

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 995
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/21/2014 9:26:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

Ian Kershaw, "The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945".

Oi! I have to read this one

I had read Kershaw's biography about Hitler. Amazing historian and book

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 996
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/23/2014 8:43:34 AM   
jonasnarvas

I started to read spiritual books. Now I am reading Knowledge in the Nutshel

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 997
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/23/2014 1:29:54 PM   
Chickenboy

"Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". A personalized biography of the sailors in Taffy 3 caught up in the Maelstrom of the Battle of Surigao straits.

(in reply to jonasnarvas)
Post #: 998
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/24/2014 9:19:16 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I did enjoy reading Divide and Rule. The Partition of Africa, 1880-1914 by Henk Wesseling. But with that said I thought it lacked in describing the effects in Africa. The focus of the book was on the European powers and their treaties and diplomatic actions.

I was surprised that it was so few people involved in colonization (partition) of such a huge area. I was also dumbfounded by the fact that everyone knew that most treaties with the African rulers were not legal but every European nation treated them all as legal because if they begun to question the legality of another nations treaties then their own would be questioned. Such trickery as changing the wording when translating the treaty or worse seem to have been common when creating the colonies in Africa but this is not the focus of the book.

I preferred the book King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild that I read previously since it described, in depth, what happened in the colony but Divide and Rule provided a nice overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_and_Rule:_The_Partition_of_Africa,_1880-1914
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Leopold%27s_Ghost

Thank you, sounds like a title worth getting, just like another one, Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenham.

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 999
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/25/2014 9:15:33 AM   
Orm

quote:

Thank you, sounds like a title worth getting, just like another one, Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenham.

Thank you. I am putting Scramble for Africa on my "to buy" list at once.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1000
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/25/2014 9:20:22 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Ordered from Amazon - thanks for the tip Hotschi

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1001
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/25/2014 9:26:58 AM   
Orm

I just finished reading 1658. March across the Belts in Swedish. It is about the risky operation that in the end led to the peace where Scania was ceded to Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_across_the_Belts

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1002
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/26/2014 5:57:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Wow...it arrived today... on a Sunday...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1003
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/26/2014 6:01:21 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Wow...it arrived today... on a Sunday...

Amazingly fast.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1004
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/28/2014 1:18:37 AM   
DampSquib

The Cat from Hué: John Laurence.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1005
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/1/2014 6:28:12 AM   
warspite1

Finished Gathering Storm - a very good read

Now onto Third Axis, Fourth Ally: The Romanian Armed Forces in the European War 1941-45.

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 1006
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/1/2014 8:05:53 AM   
Orm

quote:

Now onto Third Axis, Fourth Ally: The Romanian Armed Forces in the European War 1941-45.

I do not understand this title - Third Axis, Fourth Ally.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1007
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/1/2014 8:50:58 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Join the club! But I think it refers to the European war only, and that in terms of overall contribution, Romania was the 3rd member of the Axis and (after she switched sides in 1944) the fourth member of the Allies. I might be talking sloblocks however...

So far, its proving to be a good book

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1008
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/1/2014 11:31:17 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Join the club! But I think it refers to the European war only, and that in terms of overall contribution, Romania was the 3rd member of the Axis and (after she switched sides in 1944) the fourth member of the Allies. I might be talking sloblocks however...

Great Britain, France, Poland, USSR, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Norway and Yugoslavia were all European nations that, as I understand it, were part of the Allies. And not counting USA, Canada, Australia and India in its contribution towards defeating the Euro-Axis just seems plain wrong to me.

And then there is Italy after 1943...

I think that your explanation is the right one but it feels to me that the one selecting the title was talking sloblocks.

In my book Romania is nowhere near being the fourth Ally.

----

But, please, keep me updated on what you think of the book. I do feel that my knowledge of Romania during WWII is lacking.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1009
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/1/2014 5:35:08 PM   
parusski

Hannibal: A History of the Art of War among the Carthaginians and Romans Down to the Battle of Pydna, 168 BC, with a Detailed Account of the Second Punic War by Theodore Ayrault Dodge

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1010
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/1/2014 9:05:53 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Hannibal: A History of the Art of War among the Carthaginians and Romans Down to the Battle of Pydna, 168 BC, with a Detailed Account of the Second Punic War by Theodore Ayrault Dodge

And yet another book that I have to read.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 1011
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/3/2014 2:48:56 AM   
Ranger33

Thinking about picking up AGEOD's Espana game at some point in the future. Figured I should know what the heck this war was about before I try to fight it. Really interesting so far, although it's difficult to keep up with the multitude of different factions on the republican side.

< Message edited by Ranger33 -- 2/3/2014 3:50:32 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1012
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/3/2014 4:33:40 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Really interesting so far, although it's difficult to keep up with the multitude of different factions on the republican side.
warspite1

+ 1

Anarchists, Falangists, Carlists, CEDA, Popular Front, CNT/FAI etc etc. Not an easy read - but a good book nonetheless.

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 1013
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/4/2014 4:48:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Great Britain, France, Poland, USSR, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Norway and Yugoslavia were all European nations that, as I understand it, were part of the Allies. And not counting USA, Canada, Australia and India in its contribution towards defeating the Euro-Axis just seems plain wrong to me.

And then there is Italy after 1943...

I think that your explanation is the right one but it feels to me that the one selecting the title was talking sloblocks.

In my book Romania is nowhere near being the fourth Ally.

----

But, please, keep me updated on what you think of the book. I do feel that my knowledge of Romania during WWII is lacking.
warspite1

A couple more chapters in and yes, my first impressions were justified - this is an excellent book. The only niggle I have is that the maps are appallingly basic. But that aside, it is really interesting learning about the strengths and weaknesses of the Romanian army, why they went to war in the first place, the hatred of the Hungarians (one incident already where they almost came to blows - inside the Soviet Union!), the losses suffered, the political aspect. Great Stuff!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1014
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/5/2014 7:56:32 PM   
Hotschi

Looks like your book is a very intersting read, warspite. Currently, it sells from Euro 109 upwards at Amazon...

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1015
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/9/2014 7:06:27 AM   
prince_blucher

The Campaigns of Napoleon, by David G Chandler.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1016
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/14/2014 9:52:44 PM   
Hotschi

Finished Churchill and Australia by Graham Freudenberg. Bad press for Winston, but Freudenberg is also treating Australian politicians critically. Learned heaps of new things. Didn't know that WSC wanted to divert parts of a Australian Division to Burma during its way home from the Mediterranean. Naturally, Gallipoli of WW I is covered, as well as all the quarrels between Curtin and Churchill. Good read, recommended.

Currently reading Australia's Pacific War - Challenging a National Myth by Tom O'Lincoln. A pita to read, but at least O'Lincoln openly states he intended this book for a left-wing audience. He raises some good points, problem is his interpretation. And I don't expect to have Marx, Engels and Trotski quoted in a book about the Pacific War.... Anyway, it's refreshing to read a completely differing opinion - refreshing yes, but still has me rolling my eyes on almost every page.

Reading all this Australian/Churchill related stuff, drags me deeper and deeper into the "Politics of War". There's some interesting books around by D.M.Horner and David Day...

I need days 48 hours long

(in reply to prince_blucher)
Post #: 1017
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/14/2014 9:56:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Finished Churchill and Australia by Graham Freudenberg. Bad press for Winston, but Freudenberg is also treating Australian politicians critically. Learned heaps of new things. Didn't know that WSC wanted to divert parts of a Australian Division to Burma during its way home from the Mediterranean. Naturally, Gallipoli of WW I is covered, as well as all the quarrels between Curtin and Churchill. Good read, recommended.

Currently reading Australia's Pacific War - Challenging a National Myth by Tom O'Lincoln. A pita to read, but at least O'Lincoln openly states he intended this book for a left-wing audience. He raises some good points, problem is his interpretation. And I don't expect to have Marx, Engels and Trotski quoted in a book about the Pacific War.... Anyway, it's refreshing to read a completely differing opinion - refreshing yes, but still has me rolling my eyes on almost every page.

Reading all this Australian/Churchill related stuff, drags me deeper and deeper into the "Politics of War". There's some interesting books around by D.M.Horner and David Day...

I need days 48 hours long
warspite1

I know the feeling. There are a number of books I want to read again too, but I just haven't got the time as there are too many unread books still to be started

Amazed you can stick with a pita book like O'Lincoln's - I've never read it, but from your description I suspect I never will either

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1018
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2014 3:42:24 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have got started with Heavy metal : a tank company's battle to Baghdad. Looks pretty interesting I say. Did you know tanks exchanged fire inside urban areas at ranges less than 50 meters? "Gun fight in phone booth"

If I like this well enough, I could order The Good Soldiers and Thank You for Your Service

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1019
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2014 7:53:04 PM   
warspite1

Anyone know of, and can recommend, a really good book on the Balkans? I am particularly interested in the period post break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the various Balkan Wars, but happy for the book to cover further back (so long as that period is the main focus).

Would be interested to hear if anyone knows of such a book.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI